United States
63F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 59m 10s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F60-64
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at Stacey's in Margate. I set the alarm for 3:00 a.m. and we were out the door by 4:25. (I had my usual oatmeal breakfast.) Bart drove me. Stacey went with Sue. Traffic going into Bader Field was slow moving. I think we should've left at 4:20 as was the plan. Bart and I saw a huge rat(?) cross the road on the way.

I had a terrific position on the rack. The person next to me didn't show up and the spot next to them was unassigned. So I had a triple wide! Awesome! and it was only 5 bikes down from Stacey. That was fun, too.

I chatted with Sharon who introduced me to her friend with the pacemaker. I got my pic taken with Sharon.

I ate a half of a power bar before the start.

Swim
  • 37m 11s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

We self-seeded for the swim. Sue and I lined up towards the front (the 26-35 min group) and were in the water at 6:54ish. It made for a very nice start. I think it was a good spot for us.

I looked for Christine M. but couldn't find her.

I had been thinking that the swim was very pleasant until some man came along and hit me on the side of my head. It got more ferocious after that. After the second red turn buoy, some young woman kicked me in the nose. When I said "Ow," she told me to stop swimming over her. I wasn't. I must've touched her feet. I thought that was so mean. It really hurt. After that, I was anxious to get out.

I used spit in my goggles instead of any defogging products. That worked terrific!

Right after the last swim buoy turn, I saw Sue next to me. I decided to really kick it in. I stepped out ahead of her but her time was 4 seconds faster since she got in right after me.

What would you do differently?:

Realize that there are mean people in the water!

Transition 1
  • 06m 39s
Comments:

T1 includes biking over a mile through Bader Field to get out onto the course.

I only used the wetsuit strippers to start my zipper. I then ran as I pulled my sleeves down. Jumped out of the rest of it at my spot.

I had decided to not wear my tri top in the swim. Well, I could hardly get the blue tri top on. I should wear the pink one if I plan on doing this again. That one went on smoothly in Oceanside. I had wanted a dry top for the bike since it was in the 60s and I was afraid of being cold. I also brought arm warmers and a vest for the rain but decided not to use them.

There was a long run out to the bike start. It's on an uneven macadam surface. Ugh!

Bike
  • 2h 58m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.78 mile/hr
Comments:

This was the first time I did not utilize any of the aid stations. I decided to just use the three bottles that I carried. I didn't have one I wanted to get rid of. It worked out fine. Unfortunately, I forgot my GU. I always eat the same thing on the 56 mile bike. I couldn't believe I forgot it. I had a pack of Clif Bloks and a choc power bar. I really didn't miss the GU. The weather was so bad that it took a lot of concentration just to bike.

It started spritzing from 7-10 miles then stopped. It started up again about mile 20. Then it started to rain increasingly harder. By the third loop, I was thinking that it really sucked. The puddles were deep. Every time someone passed, I got roostered in the face. I had to put my glasses down on my nose and peer over them. Otherwise, I couldn't see.

I saw a lot of slip crashes and flat tires. People were getting hurt. There were also a ton of newbies that weren't staying to the right. I had to really utilize my bike handling skills to survive this one unscathed.

I woman passed me with 60 on her leg in the beginning of the ride. I was pleasantly surprised to pass her back near the end of the ride.

One guy biked past me and said "are you really 64?" When I said yes, he said "you are killing it!" That was nice.

Nothing really. I was pleased with my speed.

Transition 2
  • 07m 28s
Comments:

I peed in transition. I completely Vaselined my toes and put dry socks on (thanks to putting my stuff in very large plastic bags). I put on a visor and stuffed 2 GUs in my pocket. I did not wear glasses.

Put more mustard in my pockets.

Run
  • 2h 08m 57s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run trying to avoid the very large puddles coming out of transition. What's the point of putting dry socks and shoes on if they are going to get wet immediately? Made it over to the boardwalk and waited to start feeling more energized. That never happened. I was tired for the entire run.

I started cramping about mile 2. I took 2 mustards with some pretzels. That helped. Still feeling sluggish, I took a GU at mile 3. That didn't help and I realized I was going to have to just struggle through.

I didn't really even enjoy the run out on the pier, which is my favorite part. I just made the best of it and counted down the miles until I could cross the line.

I took another mustard around mile 10 and wished I had more.

I was elated when I passed a woman with a 64 on her leg about 3 miles from the end. That gave me the energy to keep pushing to the end. I didn't want her to pass me.

Bring more mustard!

Post race
Warm down:

So excited to finish!!! I went immediately to find Bob. I found him and then headed to the convention center to retrieve my morning bag of clothes. Sue, who finished almost 15 min. ahead of me, had finished changing and helped me. I got cold really quickly. It was hard changing because of all of the foot cramps.

Then we got in line for the food. The lunch truck at the end of this race is really good. They gave hamburgers, fries, soft pretzels and then in the tent they had fruit, quinoa, granola bars, and drinks.

I had to wait forever for the awards. I finished about 1:00 and had to wait until 4:30. The ceremony was so long because of the World Championship roll down. It ended at 6:00. Thankfully, the shuttle was waiting and the heat was turned ON!! (I was cold.) There were only 2-3 bikes in transition by the time we got back. Someone stole my towel but that's no loss. I don't know who'd want it anyway.

I was disappointed to not get the slot for Nice, France. I was pretty sure I'd get one. I would have if I had been first or second. Or if I hadn't stupidly told the women in my age group that they were giving out extra slots. They didn't give those out until all of the awards were given out. A lot of people had left by then. Skip got one on a roll down. Sharon got one because no one else was there in her AG. She was sixth! I'm happy for them. Sharon was super excited for Skip. Then when she got one, it was just the icing on the cake. Christine M. could've had one but she left. They called her name.

Next time: Have Bob bring two chairs instead of one. And give him my cellphone to bring to the end. I couldn't get ahold of Christine M.

Event comments:

A good race despite the weather. Best french fries EVER!!!

Last updated: 2018-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:11 | 1931 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Long sleeve wetsuit
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:58:55 | 56 miles | 18.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/13
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 07:28
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:08:57 | 13.1 miles | 09m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/13
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2018-09-24 10:10 AM

User image

Subject: Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City

2018-09-24 2:27 PM
in reply to: #5249678

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City

Nice job! Sounds like the weather was terrible but you persevered! 

2018-09-27 3:33 PM
in reply to: #5249678

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Atlantic City

Started by dtoce