General Discussion Race Reports! » Morro Bay Lighthouse Century - 58m Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Morro Bay Lighthouse Century - 58m - Cycle

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morro Bay, California
United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 26m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Enjoyed my traditional pre-race sushi dinner. Racked bike on car and gathered my gear
Event warmup:

Drove out to the event and picked up my registration. The packet pickup was organized however there wasn't much of a start/finish line like I'm used to for charity runs and races. Instead it was "start when you want, just be done with the course before the cut-off". With this in mind I got my bike and gear ready, ate a banana, and hit the road. It was nice not dealing with a thick pack of riders, albeit a bit odd to be starting alone.
Bike
  • 3h 26m 34s
  • 58 miles
  • 16.85 mile/hr
Comments:

Right from the start the course turned onto the coastal Highway 1. Despite starting by myself I saw the high-vis cycling jackets and blinking tail lights of other riders up ahead. My longest ride in recent years has been about 30 miles so this 58 mile course was going to push my endurance quite a bit. Fortunately it's not a race so I settled into an easy pace and had to remind myself not to chase the other riders.

Most of the course was fairly flat with gentle rolling terrain along the coast and only two major hills making for 4 climbs (being an out-and-back route). The climbs were not as bad as I had thought, having driven this route plenty of times but never cycled it.

After the first climb there was a rest stop in the tiny town of Harmony (population: 18). Being accustomed to triathlon/running races the concept of a "rest stop" instead of an "aid station" was a bit foreign. I gladly racked my bike, enjoyed part of a bagel with peanut butter, some fruit, and stretched my legs a bit. It was relaxing yet odd for me not to feel the race pressure of "keep going!". At the second rest stop they were making quesadillas (along with all the other fruit, etc.) so I ate one of those. I did worry about stomach issues however I wasn't pushing myself at race pace so it didn't become an issue.

The third and final rest stop was practically a picnic! Tables of sandwiches, fruit, cookies, and more. For the riders doing the century route I could see this being a nice stop to relax and refuel before the last 20 miles. I had some fruit and pickles (electrolytes!) and got back on the road, not wanting my legs to cool down too much.

Finally down to the last 10 miles my legs were feeling tired and sore. Mentally and energy wise I was doing great but couldn't keep up quite as steady of a pace. As the last turn to the finish line neared my back tire started to feel squishy. I asked the rider next to me if it looked low and he confirmed it was going flat. With only a hundred yards or so to go I finished the ride on a flat tire, glad to be done.
What would you do differently?:

Overall a good ride, I wouldn't do much differently.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched my legs and rehydrated.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Longer distance training.

Event comments:

Great charity ride on a wonderful scenic course.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2018-09-24 12:00 AM
Biking
03:26:34 | 58 miles | 16.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3035178525
Wind: Little
Course: Up the coast from Morro Bay to San Simeon and back..
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2018-09-25 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Central Coast, CA
Subject: Morro Bay Lighthouse Century - 58m
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morro Bay Lighthouse Century - 58m Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Spellbound Century

Started by swim114
Views: 725 Posts: 1

2018-07-29 11:23 AM swim114

Aurora BayCare Green Bay Triathlon - Sprint Course

Started by [email protected]
Views: 794 Posts: 1

2018-07-11 2:06 PM [email protected]

Cellcom Green Bay Half Marathon

Started by hschrade
Views: 754 Posts: 1