General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM training in the off season Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-09-30 8:23 AM

Subject: HIM training in the off season
Ok, so augusta HIM has come and gone, and i have one half marathon left this year. Honestly i was going to shut it down and be done with longer stuff and enjoy shorter sprint type events and chase some other things i want to do.
But, HIM chatanooga is on my birthday next year, and rides either around or through two civil war areas which i am a huge civil war buff so would be very cool for me. SO, i am thinking about one more go.
Heres my question, i live in missouri so the winters are not a time to train outdoors. I might have a few days i could go ride but absolutely could not plan on it. sure i could layer up and go run but that could be brutal also, and the closest indoor pool is about a hour away (i am going to check into one more option closer). I am in HIM shape now, but how do i stay close with all indoor work until april leaving only about 5 weeks to get outdoors, and then may or may not happen, an still no ows.
right now i am thinking about taking a few weeks off to let my body heal, still exercise just not at HIM levels, do the half marathon in november, get through the hollidays, then hit the indoor bike and treadmil 3 days a week. make the drive to go swim once a week to keep what i have now as best i can, then in april hit it hard for 5 weeks and go.
i am a bop age grouper and always will be so i am training to finish and have a amazing birthday, not compete for anything.

2018-09-30 4:02 PM
in reply to: bnsafe

User image

Subject: RE: HIM training in the off season
If you need extra motivation to get you through the hardest winter months - you could look for a training camp like the ones I hold in March in central Florida. It's not going to absolutely get you on the trainer in January and February - but it'll put a little more short term motivation into your training with Chattanooga not being until May + the added fitness/fitness test from doing the camp.
2018-09-30 8:48 PM

User image

What you've proposed sounds reasonable. I think Chattanooga is a similar swim to Augusta so you could get by with less swim training if you needed due to logistics. I followed Fast-Track Triathlete by Matt Dixon for Augusta this year. His book also has a 14 week off-season plan. You may want to look into it just to give you a little structure.

I'm planning on doing another 70.3 at the end of April next year and am planning to follow, albeit loosely, his offseason plan before ramping into another HIM cycle. Going to be lots of trainer rides, I'm breaking down and buying a nice trainer, and probably a lot less swimming as I live 45 minutes from the nearest pool. I guess I could buy a full wetsuit and swim in the pond I swam in this summer, but I really don't want to do that.

Generally, I think if you maintain your fitness and hit your long rides and long runs regularly you will be fine.

Sorry for rambling.
2018-10-01 5:01 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

Chattanooga 70.3 is a rolling but fast bike, a fast wetsuit swim (you swim upstream about 300 meters then its downstream to the finish) and a comparatively tough (hilly) run. 

1. Bike. An indoor trainer and a subscription to TrainerRoad or Zwift will get you ready.  A few outdoor 60ish mile rides in the spring will help you dial in your pacing.

2. Run indoors or out but maintain or increase your run fitness. 

3. You won't maintain much swim fitness going once a week but if you ramp it up starting next Feb-Mar you would be fine.

For me, it's all about the run in Chattanooga.  The last 5 miles got me both times ... I just need to build more run volume.

Temperatures/conditions are usually favorable for the Chattanooga race.  I'm also contemplating another run at it this spring.

2018-10-01 7:17 PM
in reply to: JoelO

well, i was about ready to sign up, then it dawned on me, my son graduates in may. so i looked an sure enough he graduates the thurs before. beings we live aways from the family they will be staying with us all weekend. sooooooo, no 70.3 for me (unless i just sign up and drive down saturday by myself, lol)
2018-10-01 9:49 PM
in reply to: #5249994

User image

Come do this one:
https://www.active.com/pine-mountain-ga/duathlon/races/chattahoochee...

Beautiful place with lots for the family to do. Only $180 to register right now. More laid back than Augusta from what I understand. The weather should be favorable also.

2018-10-02 5:13 PM
in reply to: Parkland

you gonna do it parkland
2018-10-02 9:44 PM
in reply to: #5250063

User image

Indeed! I think I have a few friends and my brother talked into it as well.

If you go to the tricolumbus website you can find elevation for bike and run. It looks pretty easy.
2018-10-03 5:26 PM
in reply to: Parkland

i cant get the time off work right now, but looks like a blast.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM training in the off season Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Strava: Time Getting Cut Off workouts?

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 532 Posts: 1

2018-07-30 11:41 AM TheCrownsOwn

Strength Training for Tri Training

Started by iamdandubois
Views: 1012 Posts: 2

2018-04-22 9:39 AM Parkland

First tri season done, training for a marathon, need guidance