Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Unsupportive stomach. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2018-10-02 6:03 AM

Subject: Unsupportive stomach.
Hello! Yeah, kind of weird way to start here, making first post about this, but this issue is stressing me out and I don't know what to do.
As the title says: my stomach won't support my training. I have really fast metabolism and as I have boosted my calorie intake I have to poop like minimum 5 (I wish It was just 5) times a day and that really sucks. Before every run, cycling, swimming, lifting I have to poop 2 times at home then in the gym before training and I still have the feelling that I need to poop.
It's horrible, I don't even eat that much, around 3000-4000 calories for 6.6"/200cm tall, skinny guy.
Before trainings I don't eat 2-3 hours before and no matter how many times I will go to toilet after an hour I will feel like I need to go again.
I have done some long cycling sessions, few half marathon runs, but the feeling is always there. I have no idea how I'm going to do triathlon or full marathons or cycling races over 100km.
Thanks for reading this, I will appreciate any advice.

2018-10-02 7:22 AM
in reply to: Transcendence

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Unsupportive stomach.

I would suggest seeing a gastro-intestinal professional. There are many possible things going on, from a simple food issue to larger inflammatory disease. Don't self-diagnose, and for darn sure don't take well-meaning internet-doc diagnosis.

2018-10-02 7:43 AM
in reply to: 0

True, that sounds right, but the problem is that I've never had this issue before, It started somewhat recently, actually right when I started training intensely, but my diet changed a little too, I've always had fast digestion, but never this often and annoying. I am trying to figure out what I have changed that caused this, but can't figure that out. I believe It has to be certain product I eat. I actually had a plan to try fasting for a day (done it in the past) and then kind of try to restart my body, but I believe there has to be some product that I could remove from my diet and I would be fine again. Could anyone take a look at It If I write them here? (I eat the same things every day so kinda easy to list them).
Actually before I was super happy about how smooth and comfortable this process was as my digestion had improved from going vegan (more than year ago so thats not an issue). Damn, feels weird to talk about this, but It sure does bother me.

Edited by Transcendence 2018-10-02 7:45 AM
2018-10-02 10:28 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Originally posted by Transcendence ... from going vegan (more than year ago so thats not an issue). ...

Don't discount that as a potential contributing factor, let alone single cause, just because the "problem" only showed up with intense exercise.

I have a 20 year history of ulcerative colitis (mostly under control with medications and keeping tabs on my own triggers), but looking back on it, there were warning signs WAY before I had full blown symptoms (some not unlike yours, but I'm NOT saying it's the same thing) going back into my late high school and college years, that were all tied to long distance running.

2018-10-03 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I would check with a doctor first to rule out serious medical issues that might need treatment beyond just eliminating some food or food group from your diet. If that checks out okay, then they can no doubt suggest a list of common culprits to check for some kind of intolerance or sensitivity. I think they usually start by putting you on a very restricted diet for a few days, making sure you have no symptoms, and adding commonly suspected foods back in to see when the symptoms start. It's pretty common for foods to not trigger any noticeable issues in daily life, but then to cause problems when consumed (even several hours) before exercise, particularly intense exercise, particularly before running. Not sure this is due to some kind of mild food intolerance or maybe just that some foods aren't quite as easily/quickly digestible. Then the body diverts blood flow from the GI tract during exercise, so they don't get processed normally, just "run through" or, in other cases, sit there and cause discomfort.

Common culprits might include dairy, eggs, wheat, other foods with gluten, caffeine products like coffee or chocolate, artificial sweeteners, veggies and fruits with high fiber, etc. You could probably do some of this "testing" informally yourself, but I would still see a doctor to rule out more serious issues.

Edited by Hot Runner 2018-10-03 3:22 PM
2018-10-03 4:17 PM

User image

Buttercup

Are you eating big meals? Have you tried eating a bunch of small meals throughout the day?

Transit time

2018-10-04 5:48 AM
in reply to: Renee

Breakfast at 7.00: 200g oatmeal with jam, superfood powders (spirulina, barley grass) and beetroot juice.
Lunch around 11.00 - 12.00: wholegrain sandwiches (8 slices) with avocado.
Training around 16:00
Not really eating immediately after training, but bit later around 19.00 big meal of rice + beet noodles (100g dry each) and 500 of different veggies (peas, broccoli mainly). This one is big meal, but I kinda believe that until next morning It has processed so no issues here.
Trough the day I eat some fruits and wholegrain cookies (extra calories) so my day averages 3500 calories, 400-500g carbs, 100 fiber, 100 protein.
2018-10-04 11:17 AM

User image

Pro
Tejas
I'm seeing lots of fiber. Is vegan a lifestyle choice or could you back off some of the rice and beet noodles; maybe replace them with some chicken, eggs or fish. If you're insistent on being vegan, I'd consult a dietician that understands the demands of endurance athletes. Your diet is real basic and more variety might help you.

I've got a similar 'constitution' with the difference that mine all happens in the AM, regular as clockwork. Changing my diet to include an excess in fiber and vegetables will result in an afternoon visit to the throne.

Edited by mdg2003 2018-10-04 11:26 AM
2018-10-04 12:43 PM

Changing vegan lifestyle is not an option. As I understood by your recommendation I could replace rice and noodles to (or lower are amount and add) something higher in protein, lower in carbs and lowring fiber intake? I have this meal just to have lots of carbs for next days training and higher calorie intake. And also, If I would even switch to your recommendations, then I would consume below 3000 calories, seems too low for my height, body type and training.
And the variety thing, well, before I was eating different stuff all the time, making those fancy looking, colorful vegan meals, but honestly only thing I care is whether my body gets what It needs, so I went to this super basic way of eating and I believe I'm not really lacking any micro nutrient, only macros could be wrong as I'm consuming different superfood powders (spirulina, barley grass and soon probably some more). Dietican sounds good, but not sure If I can find vegan one :D
I also had the thought that fiber is really high, but I'm not sure how to reduce It as It's in low amounts in all meals. Currently I started eating my lunch earlier than before so I can train normally, but still, 5+ times a day are annoying.
I guess I will check whether I can find dietician, thanks for advices

Edited by Transcendence 2018-10-04 12:45 PM
2018-10-04 3:38 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Just looking at your diet, the wholegrain bread could be a likely culprit. Eight slices is A LOT of fiber, and wheat isn't particularly digestible for many people. I have no issues with wheat products if I'm not eating them before an intense workout or a run, but they are likely to cause problems if I have them any time within about 4 hours before a workout. I think I would be in the bathroom nonstop if a meal involved eight slices of whole grain bread! I make sure to eat wheat-free and generally gluten free stuff (usually oat or brown-rice based carbs like oatmeal, energy bars, or rice) before morning runs or races, and at lunch before an afternoon workout, for that reason. Ditto for dairy products (irrelevant to you, if you're vegan.) But I don't follow a gluten- or wheat-free diet in general, as it doesn't seem to cause problems for me at other times.

Your diet also seems to me to be a bit low in protein, particularly for a male endurance athlete. But I am not an expert on these matters. A dietician who understands the needs of endurance athletes could definitely help you figure out a way to get in the nutrients you need while keeping your gut on even keel. There are plenty of successful athletes who are vegan or vegetarian. But it does take some planning.

2018-10-05 5:34 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

Thanks, I will try replacing bread for something different and I could easily boost protein intake up to 150. I guess, I will add more protein to evening meal (extra 20-30) and replace bread for something else and see how It goes, otherwise dietician It is.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Unsupportive stomach. Rss Feed