Other Resources The Political Joe » Public Speaking Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-10-04 1:36 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Public Speaking
"Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is clearly waaaaay over her head. She can barely answer the simplest question. For instance, she was asked Aug. 9 by CNN’s Chris Cuomo if she recognized Rep. Nancy Pelosi as the leader of the Democrats.

“I think absolutely right now … she is, she is the leader of, of … no, no, she, I mean, um, um, speaker or rather leader Pelosi hopefully, y’know, we’ll see … she’s uh … she’s the current leader of the party and I think that the party absolutely does have its leadership in the House and Senate, we have our leadership in the Senate as well,” Ms. Ocasio-Cortez said."

In HS and in college I was on the speech and debate team and competed in extemporaneous speaking and debating. Like most things in life, for some speaking extemporaneously just comes naturally and for others, it is a skill that must be developed and practiced. Bill Clinton was natural.....Trump is not. Obama spoke with discipline and seldom said "uh" as a filler. He spoke very slowly and very thoughtfully/carefully. This is skill that he has learned and practiced.

The problem is people need to engage their head before they engage their mouths. But most people, like O-C, feel they need to immediately start talking to answer a question. It is sometimes ackward to sit in silence and not answer a question while you formulate your answer in your head but it is better to be slow to respond than to blather on like an idiot. Old saying, "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear ignorant than to open it and remove all doubt."

I remember at my HS graduation my granddaddy telling me to continue on with speech class and public speaking when I went off to college. He said out of all the things you learn in college, public speaking would be the most beneficial in life. I was 18 and knew it all and thought the old man was out of his gord. But I did continue developing my public speaking and had awesome experiences competing in college at various universities. After college I just Toastmasters and continued to practice and compete.

Looking back over my life, my granddaddy was right! Public Speaking skills have helped me more than any other class or training I ever took in my 18 years of education.

This has been a public serviced announcement - especially for young people. I know most people would rather shave their head with a cheese grater than have to give a speech in front of a group of people but that fear is mitigated with practice.

Edited by Rogillio 2018-10-04 1:46 PM

2018-10-04 1:43 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Public Speaking

If O-C practiced her entire life, for all of her waking minutes, she'd still sound like a crack head chasing a high.

2018-10-04 2:07 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

If O-C practiced her entire life, for all of her waking minutes, she'd still sound like a crack head chasing a high.

Kinda like me with triathlonging....if started training when I was 3 and trained every day of my life till I was 20.....I'd still be MOP.

I think O-C issue is not only her lack of speaking skill but her ideas are so naïve and radical they are virtually impossible to defend in a rational, reasoned way.
2018-10-04 2:18 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro

Well, her ideas are not that radical.  In fact, they've been tried all over the world....and destroyed everything tin their path.  And she's not naive, she's stupid.....or actually, and more to the point, her supporters are stupid.  It will take decades to fix the 2-3 generations we have lost to single parent, govt. subsidized, uneducated families.  There is nobody to teach these folks how to fend for themselves and create a life where they can have opportunities outside of what the govt. can do for them.  Is it any wonder to ANYONE that people who have been taught to look to the govt. for their support would in turn support someone who promises them even more from their govt.??  These damn liberal politicians created this in order to have a permanent voting base.  O-C is EXACTLY the politician they've been waiting for.  No, she's not naive......she's just continuing the work or her party.

2018-10-04 2:31 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

Well, her ideas are not that radical.  In fact, they've been tried all over the world....and destroyed everything tin their path.  And she's not naive, she's stupid.....or actually, and more to the point, her supporters are stupid.  It will take decades to fix the 2-3 generations we have lost to single parent, govt. subsidized, uneducated families.  There is nobody to teach these folks how to fend for themselves and create a life where they can have opportunities outside of what the govt. can do for them.  Is it any wonder to ANYONE that people who have been taught to look to the govt. for their support would in turn support someone who promises them even more from their govt.??  These damn liberal politicians created this in order to have a permanent voting base.  O-C is EXACTLY the politician they've been waiting for.  No, she's not naive......she's just continuing the work or her party.

Here's a thought....imagine a second great depression....soup lines.....no jobs....famine....austerity....massive riots in the streets.....Marshall Law....law of the jungle.....survival of the fittest....only the strong survive....might thin the herd?

Just kidding. Just looking at the current trajectory of the country and trying to guess where we are going.

"There are two kinds of people in the world: those who can extrapolate from incomplete data"
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Public Speaking Rss Feed