General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Sizing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-10-07 7:43 PM

Subject: Bike Sizing
I just had a basic fitting at a LBS and it was 58cm some in their Trek fitting screen or whatever they call it. I am looking at used tri bikes and I found a Quintana Roo Tequilo with a lot of extras and looks nice. It is a 58cm but I am understanding through research that each brand may be different. The only size chart I could find for Quintana was for PR, Kilo and a few others. Not Tequilo. Based on those others models 58cm may be too big? I am 6’1” and 190 with inseam around 33/34. Guy selling is 6’2” 180 and said it fit him good. Any advice from those more up to speed on sizing is appreciated. Just don’t wanna buy it and it not be good. I also don’t have many stores around that have multiple brands to try out. Thanks

2018-10-07 9:57 PM
in reply to: #5250355

User image

Subject: RE: Bike Sizing
Tri bike and road bike sizing isn’t interchangeable, especially between brands. Also, overall height isn’t as important a measurement as leg inseam. You could actually have the same inseam as the guy selling it even though you are 1” shorter. See if he will send you that measurement.

Also, the sizing sticker on the bike may have the stack and reach measurements listed. You could compare those to the trek you fit well on.

Your best bet would be to go and try it out first. An ill fitting tri bike is going to be bad news and ineffective if you can’t get comfortable in the aero position.
2018-10-08 8:18 AM
in reply to: Parkland

Thanks! The sizing I got was for a trek tri bike and not road bike. I will see if I can get his inseam and compare. Other than that guess trying it out may be the best thing or finding a shop that can help more. Thanks again
2018-10-08 10:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Franklin, TN

https://www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/index.html

I'd spend some time here ^^^^ before I invested in a tri bike.  You need to know at a minimum your stack and reach numbers to determine if a frame will work for you.  I'm 5'10 (fairly normal height male but with shorter legs).  My stack/reach numbers only fit some of the popular models ... for instance, I can't get a Cervelo to work for me. 

Edited by JoelO 2018-10-08 10:24 AM
2018-10-08 12:47 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

You can also do a LOT of tweaking if the bike is in the right size range, but it will be an added expense (pro fitting, new parts, etc).  So consider the trade offs.

My gut is that this bike is too big for you.  I personally think it's better to be on a slightly smaller bike - too big and it's really hard to make right.  I've had many a bike salesperson try to convince me of this, putting on different handlebars and stems, moving the seat, etc.  Just never seems to work.  Although this may be a small person's problem...   But if you look at what pro riders are on, they are always tiny.

No matter who, or what bike, I always recommend test riding a few bikes so you can see which brands you like.    I got into a new bike category this spring and the bike I thought was *perfect* for me based on specs felt awful.   I know you said you didn't have a lot of options, but spend a little time with what you have.  It's worth it.  Also, test the used bike as much as possible before buying it.  Go with your gut.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2018-10-08 12:48 PM
2018-10-08 2:14 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

The thing about triathlon bike fitting...you don't know what you don't know.  Go to someone who can guide you.  Here's a list of fitters in Michigan...looks like a couple are in Ann Arbor which s/b fairly close to you. 

https://www.slowtwitch.com/fitters/statelist.php?state=michigan

Edited by JoelO 2018-10-08 2:19 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Sizing Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Canyon SPEEDMAX CF 7 size advice

Started by INDASTRIA
Views: 1637 Posts: 2

2018-07-25 9:38 AM audiojan

Bike size/type questions

Started by toomanyhobbies
Views: 482 Posts: 2

2017-12-10 10:40 AM reecealan

Bike Advice..good bike/good deal?

Started by mikeymac
Views: 1203 Posts: 5

2017-11-28 8:38 PM pistuo

Spin Class vs Mounted Indoor Bike Training

Started by P_Cheetham
Views: 1272 Posts: 7

2017-10-07 11:42 AM Jwse30

Wetsuits – Weight Size or Height Size – What’s more important?

Started by YouYou
Views: 8059 Posts: 12

2018-01-03 10:42 AM BlueBoy26