Georgia Multisports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 24s
Overall Rank = 91/~500
Age Group = m35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/74
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at the Sleep Inn, right off exit 173 on I-85N. Room 108 to be exact. It was perfect. $71 for the night, and 10 minutes from the race site. I woke up at 5:00. Had everything ready, so I just put on my Tri outfit and headed over to the race site. I had a mini muffin from the breakfast bar and a small donut.. chocolate.. Yum. Got to transition fairly early, and found my spot. It was the last rack on the far end. Good for T1, not good for T2. My race number was 277. Coincidentally, a friends husband eneded up on the same rack with race number 278. I set up transition, then met up with friends. There were around 9 of us there from the Get-Fit Atlanta Triathlon group. We kind of made our way slowly over the the beach area. All of us were prepared and therefore early. Leaving transition, I noticed a bike with the number 3 on it. It read Gollnic's Iron Edge. I guessed it was Heather Gollnic. It turns it I was right and she raced with us that day. Very cool. Heather Gollnic was the first US woman at Kona last year. If you follow these things, you know who she is.
Event warmup:

Once at the Beach, I jumped in the water with JB and Steamy. We got a small but decent warmup swim in. It was my first warmup swim of the season. Once done with that, we all met up in the middle of the beach and waited on the start. I ate a power Bar about 1 hour prior to start, and a gu, about 20 minutes prior to start. (note for future races)
Swim
  • 31m 50s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim start was cool. It was a time trial start, with 3 people going at a time, running from the beach into the water. I lined up with two people I knew. JB, and Stephen. That got my competative fire stoked. Guy said go, and we were off. I had a good swim. No issues at all. Breathing, good. Sighting, great. All I really need to do is get faster, and work on my stroke through clinics or coaching. Same as last year, the sun was directly into our eys's on the homestretch. I had to sight off of others near me to even have a clue where I was going. I wore clear goggles. Probably not the best idea. Being that I had a specific race time goal that I wanted to meet or beat, I was acutely aware of my time and effort throughout the race. Coming out of the water at 31 min had me in range to get there provided my other events were strong.
What would you do differently?:

Get faster, wear tinted goggles.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Longish run up from the beach. Not real significant, but something to note for time purposes. T1 went well. I just did what I needed to do. I also did not wear socks in this race and had no problems associated with that.

Nothing really. The spot could have been better, but that's part of the race. I was ok here.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 45s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.14 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike went well. On the way out, at about mile 1, My chain popped off the front. Got off my bike, had the chain back on, and was back on my bike within 20 seconds. I was back up to speed and back to the girl I was with within 3 minutes. I would say I lost a total of one minute, in chain time, then momentum etc. After that, I rode with one guy pretty much the entire race. We passed each other a number of times doing the back and fourth thing. I was passed by about two or three other bikers the entire race. Still being very aware of my time, I determined that I needed to finish the bike at the 1:51 mark (total race time), in order to hit my goal. That would give me 50 minutes to transition and run the 10k. It was tight, but I was more focused than I have ever been. I ended the race and ran through transition right behind the guy I was with the whole way, so technically, I guess he beat me. :)

Not much. It is probably time for a new bike chain so that is on me. Obviously, i'd like to get stronger, but to avg over 20 mph on that course is a feat that I can certainly be proud of.
Transition 2
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

This went well. This is where my rack location hurt me. I had to run ALL the way to the end of transition with my bike, in my bike shoes. That slowed me down a little. I really need to get out of my shoes while on the bike. Goal for next season. I also forgot my race number belt (AGAIN) .. dammit. :). That really didn't slow me down too much, but I did have to pin my number on my shirt while on the run.

Bring race number belt.. I'm an idiot.
Run
  • 43m 58s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

So I left T2 with my goal still in reach, but in order to reach it I would have to run equal to or better than my best 10k ever. Last year, same course, I ran a 53 min 10k. That would not work this time. All this was in the back of my mind. I made the tactical decision to not look at my watch, and to just run as fast as my legs and mind would let me. I felt good from the word go. I took the hills as if they were flats, and the flats as if they were downhills. I've never felt stronger in a race. Running a few sections where there were actually tents, was cool. Me and two other guys were going at it for position through there, so some people got a good show and they responded. That helped motivate me and I dropped these guys on the uphill coming out of the second camping section. After that, it was on. I knew I was having a good run, but I didn't know how good. I was tempted to look at my watch to see if my goal was still reachable, but I decided that was too risky mentally. I saw steamy out on the course, and that motivated me even more. I knew I couldn't catch her, but I also knew that meant our times were close. I yelled something over to her which she says was not very nice. I don't really remember what it was. Something to the effect of "you better move your a$$ cause I'm going to catch you". She was headed up the most difficult hill at that point and I was running down it, so maybe that wasn't so nice. :) anyway, once I got back to that hill I decided to take it.. Marine Corps style. Attack it. I reached back to my Marine traning and ran that hill as fast as I could. Suprisingly I was little effected once I got to the top. From that point it was a matter of finishing strong. With knowledge of the course from the year before, I was able to make great decisions. I finished strong, and crossed the line. It was a few seconds before I looked down at my watch. I knew I was close, but unsure if I did it. I looked and my watch read 2:36:25. Not only did I beat my goal, I crushed it. In the process, I ran my fastest 10k ever.

Bottle it. Learn from it. Save it. Whatever it was, I did it all the right way. It also helps to have a goal other than 'I would like to beat last years time' which most of my goals are.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Steamy and we waited for the rest of the group to come in. I needed a few minuted to gain my composure, but that was all good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Should be rephrased to 'what aided my ability to perform faster'. Exact same course as last year, and I beat last years time by 19 min.

Event comments:

Tugaloo is a really good race. It's a difficult course, but that's what I want in a race. Sometimes easier, sometimes difficult. I sign up for this one knowing what it's all about. I'd like to do it every year, but next year it will probably fall within a week of IM MOO. Chances of me doing it are slim. This is my Oly PR and I could not be happier with how my day turned out.

Last updated: 2006-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:50 | 1640 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 41/74
Overall: 0/~500
Performance: Average
Suit: All three tri shorts and top
Course: Triangular ish course. Out about 200 yards, right turn, swim the long backstretch, then a right turn into the (sun) finish. More or less.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:17:45 | 26.1 miles | 20.14 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/74
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 42K or just under 26.2 miles. First 6 miles was very hilly, then it leveled out some, but hills were present throughout. I would rate it a fairly difficult course for sure. Mostly farmland.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:43:58 | 06.2 miles | 07m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/74
Performance: Good
Course: Hills. Campground, roads.. Very nice. Difficult, but nice. I would say the downhills were equal to the uphills, so that was good.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-18 9:53 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

2006-09-18 10:12 AM
in reply to: #544299

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

Great job! You've improved so much in a year.

Glad you see you didn't start the run with your helmet on.

2006-09-18 10:26 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Wow - great job. Your hard work definately paid off with some great results! I can't believe you ran a PR 10K at the end of the triathlon - very impressive!
2006-09-18 10:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia

Great race, great race report.  This is what it is all about!!!!!

2006-09-18 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
That run split is just Awesome! A 10k pr on the back end of Olympic distace? I can't even imagine. . To me, that distance is just so unforgiving - In its way, harder than a 1/2IM.

Congratulations - That is huge.

c
2006-09-18 1:14 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Nicely done ... your bike split is all the more impressive given the terrain and the fact that you got out of T2 with fresh enough legs to PR the 10k.

That damn run course was tough and you set a new personal best. Awesome.

Congrats on a strong race.

PS: Worried about transition rack placement? Your T1 and T2 times are times I aspire for!

2006-09-18 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
You ran the race of your life my friend! What a great job. Good bike and of course, a killer run. Next time I won't yell at you, just throw water balloons.

Looking forward to training to IM WI with you and JB. Awesome.

H.
2006-09-18 9:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Awesome, great, fantabulous!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed