United States
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 7h 05m 51s
Overall Rank = 1617/1870
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 71/105
Pre-race routine:

We got up at 3:50am. Had breakfast (bagel w/PB, banana, and caffeinated crystal lite), put on our tri-tats and left the room at ~4:45. We had the car back shortly after that and were on our way. We did fine until about a half mile from Bader field. It took us 45 min to cover that last little bit. We saw lots of people getting out and walking (obviously we couldn't do that). It seemed like the problem was lack of organization in the parking system. We were frustrated because at the athlete's meeting they said that parking was dialed in (or somethng like that). We finally got the car parked and on a shuttle over to the transition area.

We both went to our own spots to do our thing. I immediately took my bike over to where the pumps were to air up the tires. Then I set up the rest of transition being careful to keep everything in plastic bags (learned my lesson at Musselman 2012!). When I was done setting up, I headed back to Leslie's spot but she wasn't there. Then I went back to my spot to see if she was there. Nope. I never did find her and we had not made a plan for meeting back up. I figured I would find her in the swim start line. Anyway, I went over to the porta potties and then back over to the Morning Clothes bag drop (why isn't that on the same side as the swim start/bank of porta potties!?!). I hobbled my way back across the pavement to the swim corral. I got in line at the back of the 36-45 min group. I ate a pack of shot blocks and drank the small water I had from the hotel while I was waiting. It was similar to waiting in running race corral. Never did find Leslie.
Event warmup:

None other than running around trying to get organized!
Swim
  • 44m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I liked this swim. It started with fist bumping volunteers as we headed down the ramp into the water. I had one freak out moment in between buoy 2 and 3 after a jet ski crossed in front of me. I did a little back stroke and then settled right back down. There was a lot of contact/congestion toward the end. I think I was catching people who had not seeded themselves correctly. I did use the wetsuit strippers. I'm not sure which side of the timing mat they were so that might have added some time to my swim.
What would you do differently?:

I might have skipped the wetsuit strippers. Otherwise I was pretty pleased with this swim.
Transition 1
  • 08m 4s
Comments:

I did not dawdle, but I wasn't trying to be super speedy. Note that this transition time includes about a mile of riding! I had a swig of Gatorade before taking off.

Not much - maybe hurry a little more, but overall I was pleased.
Bike
  • 3h 26m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I liked the loops, but the road was really rough in most places. Also the looped course makes for a crowded course. I heard there were lots of accidents but thankfully I didn't see any of these. I was really glad that I had changed my tires before the race as I saw LOTS of folks with flats and other mechanicals. I had one water bottle and one bottle of powerade in my cages (powerade in an actual bike bottle, not the container in came in). In my Bento box, I had a pack of skittles, a pack of Shot Blocks, and two cut up Honey Stinger wafers. I did not end up eating all of this. The rain started when I was on my second loop and continued throughout.

I don't think I could've done much differently given my lack of training. I tried to ride smart and stay out of trouble and away from contact.
Transition 2
  • 08m 49s
Comments:

Again, this transition includes ~ a mile of riding to get from the entrance of Bader Field back to transition. Luckily, my run stuff was dry (but not for long!). I took another swig of Gatorade before heading out.

Again, not much I could've done differently.
Run
  • 2h 37m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Thank goodness for the rain. Might not have been fun on the bike, but it saved the day on the run. It would have been brutally hot on the boardwalk had the sun been out. I had my Garmin set to do 4 min/1 min run/walk intervals and that worked out really well. Left to my own devices I would've walked more, but I just kept doing what my watch said. It worked because I ran faster than at Ohio last year and not a lot slower than my last stand-alone half. I taped my Gu to my race number belt and that worked really well. I did one at mile 5 and one at mile 10 just like I would do in a standalone half. Otherwise I just took water at the aid stations.

Not much given my fitness level.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much - came through chute, got my medal and a very disappointing string backpack. They were out of heat sheets by time I got there. How does that happen? Leslie was waiting and we got a picture together. I wasn't very interested in the food so we wandered over to morning bag pick-up to get our stuff and then got in line for the shuttle back to transition.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training due to emergency surgery just 3.5 months earlier!!

Event comments:

The volunteers were great. The course was OK. The medal was nice but there were no finisher hats and just a string backpack like you might get at a local 5K! I would not recommend this race unless they fix their issues with access to parking on race morning.

Last updated: 2018-01-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:37 | 2112 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 48/105
Overall: 1087/1870
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex Full
Course: Long skinny clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:26:49 | 56 miles | 16.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 66/105
Overall: 1571/1870
Wind: Little
Course: 2.5 loops - out of Bader Field to AC Expressway, little loop through Absecon, back into AC, do that again, and then on the final loop veer off to Bader instead of going back into AC
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:49
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:37:34 | 13.1 miles | 12m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 71/105
Overall: 1617/1870
Course: From Bader Field over to boardwalk - down toward Ventor and back, then all the way up the other end and back to the finish in the middle.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes