General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not Frightened anymore-DETERMINED Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2004-08-03 9:33 PM
in reply to: #43095

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Subject: RE: Not Frightened anymore-DETERMINED
In March of this year, I had a dive instructor tell me flat out that he would take me on as a student in the physical condition that i was in (notice I used the word WAS).

Sorry, that should have read "...I had a dive instructor tell me flat out that he would NOT take me on as a student in the physical condition that i was in..." - it should make more sense now...

-Frank

2004-08-04 12:01 AM
in reply to: #39814

User image

Veteran
Owen
Suhoo,

Keep up the great work, it will pay off in the end!!

mindy
2004-08-04 11:15 AM

Bloomington, IL
Forgot about you guy for a day or two...

I've not been out exercising formally this (except Monday) due to our county fair. However, used my pedometer out of curiosity as traditionally my feet and legs are always in pain after this event... Just wondered how many miles I put in a day during the fair.

Yesterday, we were in the rabbit barn all day- so no extensive walking, but by 4pm I had walked 3.9 miles just to the car and back and forth in the barn.

We will see how today goes.

2004-08-08 6:25 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Keep up the good work. i am training for my first tri too and you are an inspiration. Please listen to your body with your knee and back pain. I know you are excited and want to get moving, but if you get injured you won't be doing yourself any favors. If you are REALLY motivated to run/jog maybe try running in the pool when you do your swim workout. The water will eliminate some gravity and be less stressful on you joints. As you get stronger and the weight comes off start moving onto land. Also the ellipitcal is good too. After 7 knee surgeries and 5 ankle surgeries I can't train the run (my weakest event) as much as I should, so I cross train on the ellipitcal. I look forward to your progress. Keep it up. -S

PS the Danskin web site has some good references and a mentoring program for woman that may be useful for you although this site is awesome too.
2004-08-09 9:13 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
flatland
Sorry to reply to an old(ish) post but just joined up and wanted to put in my cheers and support. Keep us updated on how you're doing!

2004-08-10 9:46 PM

User image

Naperville, IL
Hey suhoo. Just wanted to check in on your progress. When you have a chance, give us an update.

We're all cheering for you!

2004-08-12 8:42 AM

Bloomington, IL
Okay, Okay, I know you all thought I blew you off... well Fair season you know.

I managed to sort of get back on track Monday and did my walking, I've been wanting--really wanting to go swimming, but it's been unseasonably cold here-- low 70's and I don't want to freeze either.

Tuesday, I decided I was right up there with the people drowning trying to drink from their water bottles while riding their bike.... I fell off my bike in one of those ssslllooowww motion sort of falls about 3 feet from where I started! I was merely trying to shut the garage door with the remote. Talk about a klutz. I fell across our cement front stoop- ouch!---300+ lbs + Cement = one heck of a bruse on your arm! Plus another bruise and scratches on the back side of my knee-- from being raked over the pedel. As I laid there, all I could think of is- Umm, what would I have done if I actually broke something, laying out here ALL BY MYSELF AT 5:30 IN THE MORNING!!! No one in our neighborhood is up then...

But ... TADAA! I still got up and went biking 2+ miles.

I don't think my life will get back to normalacy until after our 3rd State Fair show weekend of 8/ 21. (Saturday my daughter qualified for Dog Obedience down at State, and next week 3 days of rabbits-- again) I told you we were into animals and 4H stuff...

Thank gosh they go back to school 8/24. Perhaps I can squeeze in getting weighed and some more exercises.

Hey, about exercising- does anyone do Pilaties (sp?)? Does it work like they say? vs. just normal excercising?
2004-08-18 9:13 AM

Washington, DC
Hi Suhoo,
I don't do pilates, although I have several friends who swear by them. You hadn't checked in lately, so I just wanted to say keep up the good work. I hope the scale is being accomodating, and if not, just remember, the better shape you get in, the longer you can exercise, and the more gains you will see. Good luck!
2004-08-18 10:42 PM

Bloomington, IL
Hey Hey-- just got back from my annual doctors visit. I've lost 8 pounds since I've started (1 month ago). Not to shabby for not changing my eating habits ( yet )!
2004-08-18 10:48 PM

Bloomington, IL
Oh I also taked to him about my heart rate. I did more research and found that I was working in the "Endurance Zone" or 70-80% of my max HR.

He said I should only be around 120, which is in the "Fat Burning Zone" or 60-70%.

He said I should keep walking just 1 mile until I can get that mile down to 120 HR. Then to increase it.

He is a little oriental man who I trust a lot--( we have been through a lot ) He also is a walker. He does 4 miles every day.
2004-08-18 11:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
Keep up the great work!! Congrats on the 8lbs lost. Now just think what you can do when you change your eating habits!!!

2004-08-18 11:56 PM

User image

Naperville, IL
Great progress! Keep it up...
2004-08-19 11:23 AM

Washington, DC
Congratulations on the 8 lbs! That is big progress.
2004-08-28 9:40 AM

Bloomington, IL
Wow, they say there's a sucker born everyday... that's me!
Not really, I went to try out the new bike seat they ordered for me... Well, of course I didn't bring my bike, as it was a spur of the moment, whip into the store kind of thing. So they mounted it on another bike for me to try out... Guess what, it worked, and the bike felt so good in that the gears ALL WORKED! (mine kept slipping) and they were having a big sale, so I walked away with a new bike too!! It's a bike they said would be more able to cross over into a tri bike than what I had. I now have to plug the bike shop GO "VITESSE", they are really great at trying to make sure you have what you need, and aren't just pushing merchandise.

As a result, this morning I just got back from a great 2.5 mile bike ride with my husband. That's a first for a LOOOOONG time- lets say over 14 years. I think he was excited too. It was good to be out early when it was quite just talking and riding.

Well now to go and do some manual labor... Hey, It's Saturday. Isn't that what most homeowners do on the weekend Catch you later.
2004-08-28 10:07 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Roscoe, IL.
I saw that you are interested in glucosamine. I use it and also give it to our older dog. It can be costly so we shopped around. The best deal we found is at Walgreen's. A consumer report recommended their store label brand. If you watch the ad's (I'm assuming there's one near you) about every month or so the offer a buy 1 get 1 freeb deal.
Just a suggestion.

Keep up the good work.

Don
2004-08-28 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
I'm so proud of you! Keep up the good work! A little bit of decent gear certainly will make the rides more fun. Just don't forget that the most important (and most crucial) piece of gear is the one between your ears Maintain a positive attitude! Again, keep up the good work and I (heck, all of us) look forward to more progress reports.

-Frank

2004-08-30 10:11 AM

Bloomington, IL
Thanks Don for the Glucosamine price report re: Walgreens. There is one right next door from where I work- I'll check it out.

Hey, Just got my membership back to Four Season's which is our big workout place in town, weight room, track, pool, saunas etc. etc. etc. I'm so excited it rediculous! So on Sept 1, I'll be going there every morning with my husband (hopefully) before work to workout. Or maybe I'll go after work (I work just in the mornings), as I will have more time to spend there??? who knows.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Not Frightened anymore-DETERMINED Rss Feed  

of 2