General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Neoprene Wetswit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-10-16 8:09 AM

Subject: Neoprene Wetswit
Hello Triathletes

What neoprene wetswit you recommend me to buy?
I have been a pool swimmer all my life and I have had to quit because of respiratory problems with chlorine

Now I have started in open water and with triathlon, and the neoprene that I have is not going well, it is very hard on shoulders and maybe it floats too much for me.
I would need something more for a swimmer, with good shoulder flexibility and good floatability but not excessive...
And if it's not very expensive, better hehehe

Thank you!!!

Edited by MoreSwim 2018-10-16 8:10 AM

2018-10-16 9:12 AM
in reply to: #5250734

User image

Subject: RE: Neoprene Wetswit
I bought a TYR Hurricane for my first wetsuit and haven’t had any issues so far. Xterra is also highly recommended as well.
2018-10-16 9:20 AM
in reply to: MoreSwim

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome!

Wetsuits for water skiing, scuba diving, etc. are generally thicker and more restrictive than those for triathlon.  

What are the average water temps where you plan to swim?  You might get by with a sleeveless wetsuit which offers the least shoulder restrictions (possible chafing from the shoulder straps) compared to a full wetsuit (watch for chafing along the neck).  

I don't have recommendations on currently offered wetsuits.  I got mine used back in 2006.  

2018-10-16 10:11 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

Actually, what would suit me best, since I have a very good shoulder flexibility would be a sleeveless neoprene swimsuit but the water in which I would swim normally is between 16-19º C, so better something with sleeves hehe

I have a neoprene swimsuit for triathlon but it is of low quality and more thought for people with less experience in swimming and it does not let me develop my swimming technique because I can not extend the stroke and I give my feet out of the water when floating too much hehe

that's why I was looking for something less rigid on my shoulders, more oriented to swimmers

thanks for your proposals
2018-10-16 10:44 AM

I bought this one on Amazon in 2015 and have done sprints and a half Ironman in it. I personally like sleeveless but you pay the price a bit. The HIM I did was in 61*F water. I was probably one of 20 crazy people out of 2000 that went sleeveless. Amazon also sells a sleeved version of this suit. So if you are looking for budget this one has worked for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D4C4V1U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o...
2018-10-16 12:13 PM

User image

We have had great luck with the Roka products. They aren't the cheapest, but you can usually find some discount codes if you look hard enough. I have both sleeved and sleeveless from them and am completely satisfied with both.

https://www.roka.com

2018-10-16 6:34 PM
in reply to: Toefuzz

my xterra wasnt to expensive with the bt discount code. but it tears terribly. with that said i did not soak it a few days before i wore it so may be my fault. but man cant even touch the thing without tearing.
2018-10-18 6:39 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I'm very happy with my Huub.  They have (or at least did when I bought it) options geared towards swimmers where the distribution of thickness is a bit different for the torso and legs to deal with being too buoyant.  Shoulder flexibility is great.  My only suggestion is to learn how to put it on properly (it takes me a good 10 mins) as that makes a huge difference in shoulder range of motion.  By the time I get mine on properly, I have zero restriction on my shoulders.

2018-10-22 2:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I have used Xterra exclusively and have had great luck.
Full or short sleeve, they have worked great.

Make sure you use the sizing chart and are putting it on correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COrfKoOj358
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Neoprene Wetswit Rss Feed