United States
48F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 31m 24s
Overall Rank = 30/76
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

I arrived at the race site 45 minutes early, did packet pick-up, hit the bathroom, then sat in my car until my friend Cuda got there. Once she was on site, we went into the gym to await the pre-race talk and instructions.

I wore a SS shirt under my very light running rain jacket (Oiselle), shorts, tall wool-blend RunPA socks (their first wearing!), RoadID brimmed hat.
Event warmup:

Not much since it was rainy and gross and I didn't want to get my feet wetter than necessary before the race. Did some dynamic stretching inside, then did a very easy and very short little loop around part of the parking lot heading toward the start line.
Run
  • 31m 24s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 17s  min/km
Comments:

First mile went well. It was raining pretty steadily but I didn't mind it. At some point during mile 2 my guts started not feeling so great. By halfway through the race I was running 'scared', scared of tossing my cookies during a race.

At the time we were in a residential section; I considered my options: someone's yard? No, that's just rude. The street? Not a great option, either. Try to get to and hit a storm drain? This is the option I thought I'd try for if it came down to it but I really didn't want to get sick publicly.

For sure my pace slowed for the last mile because I was concentrating on not getting sick and the faster I went, the worse I felt. It wasn't just my stomach, it was my intestines, too. Please, please, please hang in there until we're done, guts!

Thankfully they obeyed.
What would you do differently?:

Not feel sick although I didn't do anything to bring it on! I felt a little 'off' (not outright, actively sick but not completely well, either - nausea coming and going) the next few days so IDK...
Post race
Warm down:

Ugh. Crossed the finish line and went straight back up the hill to the restrooms in the school just in case. Thankfully everything stayed where it was supposed to!

I went to my car and changed into a dry sweatshirt and hat, then watched for Cuda to come up the hill. I ran the last little bit with her toward the finish, then peeled off so I didn't get re-counted. Walked another .1 mile with her so her Apple watch would get the full 3.1 (something malfunctioned with it that it missed a little time), then we headed to the gym to get snacks, drinks, and wait for awards.

I was surprised (yet not surprised) that she and I both got AG awards! That's what happens when an already small race becomes even smaller because of people staying home to avoid running in the cold and rain.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Feeling like I was going to toss my cookies and associated gut pain/discomfort.

Event comments:

This is such a worthy cause - I will continue to support the organizer and the organization each year.

Last updated: 2018-09-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:24 | 05 kms | 06m 17s  min/km
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 30/76
Performance: Average
Course: loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2018-10-16 10:18 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Save a Warrior 5K

2018-10-31 3:02 PM
in reply to: #5250744

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Subject: RE: Save a Warrior 5K

Don't know how I missed this! Congrats on the podium in spite of feeling icky.  Nice job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Save a Warrior 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Winter Warrior

Started by dexter
Views: 1055 Posts: 3

2018-01-07 8:04 PM QueenZipp

Santa Paws 5k

Started by Pacific John
Views: 939 Posts: 1

2017-12-18 5:42 PM Pacific John