General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TRI TOP FROM BLACK TO WHITE Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-10-17 10:31 AM

Subject: TRI TOP FROM BLACK TO WHITE
I struggle with heat and humidity. I sweat A LOT. I completed 2 Sprint T's last year, and although my endurance is at least fair (maybe even good), I did poorly, horribly struggling with heat and humidity and sweating (North Carolina in July and August).

So I am making what I think are some rational changes. If these or others changes you might suggest don't work, I best not race at all. I overheated on my last race, became a little disoriented, but finished. In fact, despite realizing I should have stopped, once started nothing would keep me from finishing (you know what I mean).

CHANGES:

Helmet from black to either white or silver. Easy fix.

Black Tri top to white. I'm thinking of dying the garment as a cost-saving, Either with bleach or white dye. Any thoughts if this is a good or bad idea?

Black Tri bottom to some lighter color. I know white is inappropriate. Perhaps light yellow.

Much more fluids. A least double what I used in my first 2 races.

Salt tablets before and during the race.

A much heartier breakfast with more quality carbs, such as an extra helping (or two) of oatmeal.

Quick energy carbohydrates on the race. Fig bars? Apple juice?

All suggestions welcome. I love the sport but want to stay healthy. No romantic visions of being a super athlete or running a full ironman under 9 hours. I'm happy with sprints, the people who race, and gradually improving my personal best time.

And, I've fallen in love with swimming!

2018-10-17 3:34 PM
in reply to: nathan_strahl@yahoo.

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: TRI TOP FROM BLACK TO WHITE
Make sure the helmet has good ventilation. That will make a difference more than color.

Consider the fabric type as well for clothes. I have a black tri suit, but super breathable and no issues from color.

I would suggest doing sweat measurements in training to find a solid start instead of over loading. You could go extreme the other way and get hyponatremia. https://www.google.com/search?q=hyponatremia&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&clien...

Salt tablets... depends on how long the race is and whatever else you drink or eat. Typical sports drinks and sports gels, chews, etc have plenty of sodium.

Don't go to wild on oatmeal. Too much fiber can cause GI issues.

Consider a hand held water bottle on the run.
https://amzn.to/2CPKqTv
Sip every couple minutes to stay up on the run between aid stations.

Make sure you have a solid hydration plan on the bike as that will dictate your run. If you are too dehydrated starting the run, you're hosed.

Dump water on your head.

Cold water sponges in tri top.

Hold ice in your hand while it melts.

Hat that's light in color to deflect the sun on your head.
2018-10-17 8:56 PM

User image

Check out Desoto brand tri apparel. They have skin cooler technology that a lot of people swear by. I saw a lot of people during the Augusta 70.3 wearing their arm cooler wings as well.

https://www.desotosport.com/collections/skin-cooler

Im curious how you're training went in the heat? Did you try to train in the same conditions as race day? Augusta 70.3 was pretty warm...mid 90's during the run, so I made sure that I ran during the hottest part of the day during training and even wore extra layers when riding my bike on the trainer.

2018-10-18 9:35 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Acclimation helps (I was in Fayetteville 2013-2016).  

When do you typically run?  If all of your training runs are 5AM and you're running in the race at 9AM, you'll be experiencing temperatures unlike your training.   (This shows up in spades in a HIM when you'd be running at noon.)  

White dye won't make a black top white.  It may lighten it a little though.  

I doubt bleaching will help.  Unlike black cotton (where white fibers are dyed black), the synthetic fibers are most likely closer to black without external dying.  Getting enough bleach to lighten the color will likely damage the material.  

Fuel well before the race (I wouldn't go overboard on oatmeal though) and you should be able to get through a sprint (1-2 hours) without additional calories.  Fig bars are a decent fuel but you'll probably not be able to burn them during a sprint.  (I'm not a nutritionist, but it can take 30-60 minutes for anything you eat during a race to be converted into blood glucose.)  

Hydration.  More fluids might help, but be careful consuming so much that you're sloshing.  

Electrolytes.  Takes time to dial this in, but decide (sweat test) how much you'll need and how you'll get it.  Salt tablets + sports drink may be too much for your body to process.  The balance between sodium and potassium may also be important.  

2018-10-18 1:30 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Acclimation is really important. I found that once I switched to doing a few runs after work rather than before, I did better during hot races.

As for hydration and fuel, while they are important, if you stick with sprint distances you shouldn't have too much trouble. Taking in enough fluid for the few days before the race is good. It sets you up to be nicely hydrated from the go, and you just drink up in the morning, rather than trying to guzzle a bunch to make up for being in a previously dehydrated state.

As someone who primarily does short course, and is also quite slow, I feel confident in saying that you do not need to take in much in the way of calories during a sprint race. If I can get through it without a snack, anyone can! I go for a nice big breakfast about 5 hours before the gun goes off. The breakfast is something that I have tested prior to my long bike rides in practice. I then take a gel before heading into the swim, have some sports drink during the bike (but not a whole bottle) and that's it. I'm pushing so hard, that my stomach does not want to be digesting anything.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TRI TOP FROM BLACK TO WHITE Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Tri top -- elementary question, but important none the less

Started by nathan_strahl@yahoo.
Views: 941 Posts: 7

2018-07-10 7:23 PM Hot Runner

How to know when your top Low

Started by Oggi
Views: 779 Posts: 5

2018-05-17 11:56 PM Hot Runner

Tri top with sleeves?