General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit legal races..or not Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-10-21 7:25 PM

Subject: Wetsuit legal races..or not
Hi all,
I live in a northern climate. I am 60 and an adult onset swimmer.

Until at least the end of June, it is necessary (in my opinion) to wear a wetsuit during the open water swims. So....shame on me, but I get used to it. Then, mid July to mid August is the height of the triathlon season here. During this time, at least half the tri's that I like to enter make race day decisions on whether wetsuits can be used based on water temp. I used to think they were doing this for safety reasons, but not buying it. For instance, you can still wear one if you want, but you cannot be in the age group division and you cannot win anything. You can be in the "recreational" division. The cut off if usually around 78 degrees water temp, which is not dangerous in my opinion.

So, at 77 degrees, you can wear one, or not wear one, and everyone can compete equally. Over a certain point, then they are a bad thing and a crutch so you cannot win anything if you wear one.

Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Thanks!

2018-10-21 8:47 PM
in reply to: Burchib

Subject: RE: Wetsuit legal races..or not
You sound like me...adult onset triathlete at 59 years old, three years ago. All of our triathlons here are wetsuit legal with water temps in the low 60s to mid 70s (tops).

I say that if you are more comfortable in a wetsuit and don't care about being on the podium in a non-wetsuit race, do what you want.
2018-10-22 11:12 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

USAT rules...

The additional buoyancy of the wetsuit is a boon to many triathletes which is why they're not allowed above 78F.  A friend of mine was ~10 seconds/100 yards faster wearing his wetsuit pants or using a pull bouy to keep his legs up in the water versus non-aided swimming.  Yes, he's a runner.  Yes, he's got a pathetic swim kick...He'd go from ~1:50/100 to ~1:40/100 or about 2.5 minutes faster on an OLY swim.  

2018-10-24 1:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

There is a hard cut at 84* where you can't wear a wetsuit, period. I'm gonna take a stab at the reasoning for the "tweener" zone (78-84*) where they're allowed, but you aren't eligible for scoring. It's an attempt to accommodate the weaker swimmers who rely on the buoyancy of the wetsuit just to be able to complete the swim while not putting the faster swimmers, who can generate much more stroke force and, therefore, generate more body heat, in a position where they're tempted to take an overheating risk in order to not ceded the competitive advantage of the wetsuit.

Edited by gary p 2018-10-24 2:08 PM
2018-10-24 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Typically wetsuits aid in swimming aside from the safety aspect.

There is validity that once certain temps are reached, the typical population becomes susceptible to hypothermia and extreme lowering of body temps to dangerous levels. 77 degrees, probably not, but the rule is pretty old and I'm not sure if there's any movement to change it.

Cutoffs are different for pros as well.
2018-10-29 9:09 AM
in reply to: gary p

Originally posted by gary p

There is a hard cut at 84* where you can't wear a wetsuit, period. I'm gonna take a stab at the reasoning for the "tweener" zone (78-84*) where they're allowed, but you aren't eligible for scoring. It's an attempt to accommodate the weaker swimmers who rely on the buoyancy of the wetsuit just to be able to complete the swim while not putting the faster swimmers, who can generate much more stroke force and, therefore, generate more body heat, in a position where they're tempted to take an overheating risk in order to not ceded the competitive advantage of the wetsuit.

Respectfully, I sure disagree. Your logic is flawed. Especially the part where faster swimmers risk overheating. Faster swimmers are much more efficient, and use less energy than a "weaker" swimmer who is using a wetsuit. "Weaker" swimmers are using the wetsuit just to be able to complete the swim portion? C,mon, that is ridiculous.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wetsuit legal races..or not Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

A delayed not so brief Race Report for IM Steelhead 70.3

Started by jnuger
Views: 718 Posts: 3

2018-09-25 6:47 AM jnuger

Wetsuit or not?

Started by Rollergirl
Views: 636 Posts: 11

2018-07-25 1:31 AM Rollergirl

Front wheel not spinning freely