World Triathlon Corporation
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 13h 59m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 55=59
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove 10 hours to Kentucky and checked into the Seelbach Hilton on Thursday afternoon.. Its about a mile or so to the transition area and Ironman Village. Checked in on Friday. Checked the bike on Saturday. Sunday morning it was cold and raining. I put a garbage bag over me and headed a mile to the transition area carrying my nutrition and morning bag. It was then about a mile walk to the swim start where I lined up in the 1:30 zone and waited. After about an hour and a half the staff came around to state the obvious which was that the course was shortened to .9 miles due to the current and the start is delayed by 2 hours. I already had a cold to start with. You know that tired achy feeling mixed with clogged sinuses.
Event warmup:

The walk from the hotel and to the swim start was a good warm up. Did a lot of stretching while waiting for the delayed start. It was very chilly but I felt much better after putting on my wetsuit. I already had a cold to start with. You know that tired achy feeling mixed with clogged sinuses.
Swim
  • 18m 32s
  • 3800 meters
  • 29s / 100 meters
Comments:

The current was strong and the buoys were drifting all over. I think I swam too far into the river and had to really cross hard left toward the end in order to not over shoot the swim out. The guys in the kayaks were very good with getting the message across to me. The water was much warmer than the air temp. I was just getting warmed up and had to finish.
What would you do differently?:

I would have stayed closer to the shore.
Transition 1
  • 13m 52s
Comments:

It was quite a trot to where you actually could mount your bike.

I spent too much time trying to untie my transition bag. I need to tie a bow next time or put some kind of clamp on the strings. I had to tear the bag open. I did take my time as my goal was an IM PR. Since the swim was shortened I changed my goal to be in the upper 50% of my age group or just finish.
Bike
  • 7h 00m 48s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.97 mile/hr
Comments:

I am not usually a complainer and try to stay optimistic but as I stated above I already had a cold to start with. You know that tired achy feeling mixed with clogged sinuses. The conditions were tough. It was in the 40s and lower 50s with a cold slow rain the entire time on the bike. This wore me down significantly. I was shivering for the entire bike and started to think about hypothermia. Several athletes were pulled due to hypothermia. I could not wait to finish the bike and quit the race. But I did not. The hills were actually not bad. I trained on the hills and this course would have been a lot more fun if not for the weather and my poor health at the time. My nutrition consisted of Accelerade every 15 miles, Base salt every once and a while and a few honey stingers. I also had some beef jerky.

I would have done several things differently. It was hard to stay aero at least for me due to the wet roads. Several competitors were zooming down the hills 3 and 4 wide. It was scary. So if I knew about the conditions I would have brought my road bike instead of my tri bike. I should have had warmer gloves, wore my windbreaker and a long sleeve shirt. I had arm warmers and that helped a bit. I did not properly prepare for the cold. It was a great learning experience.
Transition 2
  • 19m 54s
Comments:

A volunteer grabbed my bike immediately That was very helpful. I was going to quit. I just sat there screwing around with the knot again. Totally wasted and tired. I was actually looking around to find a volunteer to hand my timing chip to. Once I got my bag open I saw that I had my wind breaker in there. I thought that maybe this will warm me up and to give it a go with the run.

I would have changed my attitude. If I was not considering DNF then I could have chopped 10 minutes off transition time which would have really boosted my age group listing. Also the knot thing again.
Run
  • 6h 06m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off at a decent pace but it started started getting cold again and miles from 9 to 14 were a steady fast walk. This is a 2 loop run course and again I could not wait to finish the first loop so I could quit. I talked to a volunteer at the turn around regarding how to get my bike if indeed I did finish late and the transition area was closed. it took her at least 5 minutes to find someone to make calls to find someone to help. I think this rest is just what I needed. All of a sudden I felt better than I had all day. I started running intervals mixed with very fast walking. I started talking to everyone who would listen to me and joking around at the aid stations. I did maintain my nutrition plan which probably made it possible for me to recover. Nutrition was Gu Endurance every 4 miles, Base salt every mile, Stinger honey waffles about every hour, bananas and oranges during the course. Red bull during the second half was excellent along with broth. I also thought about all my friends and family following me with the athlete tracker. I did not want to make any excuses and did not have to.

Again I would have changed my attitude. I believe I could have run a lot more instead of burning out between miles 9 and 14. I had too much in the tank when I finished. The weather really messed up my head.
Post race
Warm down:

I loved this finish line. The spectators were fantastic. The only issue I had was having to take a bus back to transition then walk about a half mile to a mile to get my bike and bags from transition. It was funny because the bus driver had to give me a boost to get me up the bus stairs. My legs were spent!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My attitude. I was in a funk which is normal I know. I did snap out of it but not until the second loop of the run.

Event comments:

The race course itself would be average but this particular race was crazy due to the weather. Just listen to the pro's on youtube talking about how tough it was. There were about 800 DNS and DNF.

Last updated: 2018-01-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:32 | 3800 meters | 29s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
The race was cut to .9 but I think my pace according to the Ironman site was still calculated using the 2.4 mile distance.
Suit: Zoot full sleeve
Course: Ohio River.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 13:52
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
07:00:48 | 112 miles | 15.97 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Cold wet and windy. The first 8 miles were just getting out of the city and to the country. The roads were rough in several places but not a bad course. The biggest issue was the traffic. This is my third Ironman and I do not remember ever having to wait behind cars in traffic. We had to wait to actually pass the cars as they would just stay in the lane an not pass riders. I think I may have lost a half hour due to this. We had to slow down for the cars and it took momentum from the downhill to uphill gain. It was actually a very scenic course and I really would have enjoyed it if not for the weather.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: IDK
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 19:54
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:06:27 | 26.2 miles | 13m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Nice flat 2 loop course.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2018-10-22 5:05 PM

User image

Delaware
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2018-11-22 10:58 AM
in reply to: #5250988

Regular
Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville

Nice Job considering the conditions. I'm just glad I had to pull out of the race this year, lucky me. Keep up the good work!

2018-11-27 7:47 AM
in reply to: #5250988

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Louisville

Started by JBacarella
Views: 1261 Posts: 6

2018-10-22 5:19 PM trinunya