General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goals for next season. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-10-23 4:20 PM

User image

Subject: Goals for next season.
Wrapped up the 2018 season after completing a sprint in June and Ironman Augusta 70.3 in September. This was my first year in the sport and signed for Augusta due to peer pressure from my brother. I enjoy the sport and feel that it has helped my running as well as I ran my fastest 5k in a few years last week.

I didn't have expectations for either race this year other than to finish. I accomplished that goal for each race now it's time to put goals on paper for next season. I am registered for a HIM the first week of May and will be registering again for Augusta which is in late September. I may also do a sprint or olympic distance during the year as well.

My generic goals as of right now are:
1. Stay healthy
2. Improve swim bike and run fitness
3. Dial in nutrition. (I suffered from extreme cramps after Augusta)
4. Improve transition times.
5. PR Augusta 70.3
6. Build friendships. I think this is overlooked by many people. I enjoy pushing myself and triathlon definitely facilitates that; however, working towards a goal with others is an awesome byproduct of the sport.

I'm wondering what your goals may look like as I feel this will help me shape some more specific goals for myself.

Happy training!

2018-10-23 6:10 PM
in reply to: Parkland

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Goals for next season.

This isn't specifically what you were looking for, but knowing what my goals are (or anyone else's goals for that matter) isn't necessarily going to help you better define your goals.

A useful way of making goals more powerful is to use the SMART mnemonic (using weight loss for examples):

• S – Specific – What EXACTLY do you want to achieve?  The more specific your description, the more likely you will achieve your goal.  S.M.A.R.T. goal setting recognizes the difference between “I want to lose weight,” and “I want to lose 21 pounds before April 1st.”
  • M – Measurable – Measurable means that you identify precisely what you will see, hear, and feel when you achieve your goal.  It means breaking your goal down into measurable elements. You need objective evidence of progress.  Being happy with your progress isn’t evidence.  Lowering your intake of sugar is evidence.  Eliminating processed food and eating healthy, fresh food is evidence.
  • A – Attainable – Is your goal attainable?  Answering that question requires you to investigate what it will take to achieve your goal.  You weigh time, effort, and cost it will take to achieve your goal against the benefit of achieving your goal.
  • R – Relevant and Realistic – Do you want to lose weight because YOU want to lose weight or because “everyone” says you should lose weight?  If the goal isn’t relevant, if you aren’t doing a goal for YOU, you will likely fail.  Is your goal realistic?  Can you realistically achieve your goal?  A goal of losing 60-pounds in 60-days sounds impressive – but losing a pound each day is unsustainable and unhealthy – so probably not realistic.
  • T – Timely – A goal should be grounded within a time frame. With no time frame tied to a goal, there’s no sense of urgency. If you want to lose 10 lbs., when do you want to lose it by? “Someday” won’t work. To get your subconscious mind working on the goal, anchor the goal within a time-frame – “by April 1st.”

Continuing to use weight-loss as the example, instead of having “I want to lose weight” as a goal, it’s more powerful to use a SMART goal – “On April 1st, I will feel stronger and more full of energy at XX lbs. by counting calories, eating smaller, healthier portions and by working out for a minimum of XX minutes four times a week.”

Define the Steps to Your Goal

A goal without a plan is just a dreamy wish.  After you have your goal, form a plan and commit to the steps to achieve your goal.  Your plan may have a single step, or it may have multiple steps in the case of more complex goals.  In any case, write the steps down and cross them off as you achieve each step.

Athletic Goals

Your goals for the season probably won't be weight-loss goals, rather they'll likely be athletic goals - here are a couple things to consider.

There are three basic types of athletic goals:

Outcome Goals – Outcome goals revolve around a specific outcome – “I will win a National Championship.”  The problem with Outcome goals is you do not have control over everything that goes into an Outcome, for example, you have no control over who you will compete against.  Outcome goals are best used as long-term goals with Process and Performance Goals used as intermediate steps.

Performance Goals – performance goals define a specific standard to be achieved.  “I will complete a 140.6 triathlon in under 12-hours.”  Performance goals are used to set a personal standard so aren’t subject to the performance of others.  However, performance goals can still set you up for disappointment if not used in conjunction with process goals.  If your goal is to complete a 140.6 in under 12-hours, what happens if the weather is extremely hot and humid?  What if there are thunderstorms and heavy rain?  There can still be factors outside your control.

Process Goals – process goals deal with the technique or strategy necessary to perform well.  You have complete control over process goals.  Examples of process goals are:

• Remain aerobic during the swim
  • Begin my nutrition plan within 10-minutes on the bike
  • Maintain a 10:00/mile pace on the run

Process goals can help focus your attention and are very effective in helping to control race day anxiety.

Goal setting isn’t just about determining what you want to achieve but also how you will achieve it (process goals) and how you will measure the achievement (performance goals).

Hope that helps a little bit as you begin to consider goals for the upcoming season.

2018-10-24 5:09 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

, Kronobergs lan
My goals for next season are

do at least 4 sprints (same as this year)
shave at least 5 minutes off my bike time (sprint)
do one Olympic (my first... and last?) under 3 hours

2018-11-01 8:31 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
1) Lift weights consistently all winter (because I'm over 40 and I think that's the only way I get to keep eating cookies sometimes)

2) Improve my times at The Buck Fifty relay

3) Complete at least one tri in 2019 of Olympic distance or longer

4) Improve my marathon time in 2019 over 2018
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Goals for next season. Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HIM training in the off season

Started by bnsafe
Views: 829 Posts: 9

2018-10-03 5:26 PM bnsafe

AirBNB available for next weekend!

Started by coachtil