Sandy Hook, New Jersey
United States
Danskin
Total Time = 1h 49m 30s
Overall Rank = 1079/1280
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 108/120
Pre-race routine:

Got up in plenty of time so I wasn't rushed. I had made arrangements with the Team Danskin coaches from Ocean City (MD) to ride to the race with them. We met up in the parking lot at 5:20 and all was running smoothly. After a couple of wrong turns and missing our exit to the Parkway things were getting a bit shaky. Finally we made it to Sandy Hook just in time to get stuck in traffic. I was in the 4th wave and my scheduled start time was 7:08. There was a lot of speculation in the car that with so many people stuck they would have to delay the start time. At about 6:45 I couldn't take it any more, we were close to a parking lot so I asked if they would mind pulling over and letting me grab my stuff and I would bike in. The other two that were racing decided that would be a good way to do it too. So I put on my silly bike shoes and slung my transition bag on my back and off I went. Check in was a fairly painless process. When I got to the transition area there was no space left on the rack. A big thank you to the couple of ladies that were there and slid their bikes over for me to get a spot. I quickly set out my stuff and ran off to the swim start. As it turns out they were delaying things to allow every one time to get there.
Event warmup:

I suppose this part would be the biking in and rushing around. I was pretty warmed up by the time I got to the swim start:-)
Swim
  • 16m 57s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

There is no way this course was a 1/2 mile. The start was a little rough, there was some roll to the water - and of course people everywhere. It's hard to break the "Hey, this is my lane" mind set!!! I had overheard a conversation in the motel lobby about how choatic the swim was. There are so many first time participants, many of which have never experienced open water. Because of this Danskin has "swim angels" which are volunteers that hang out in the water and will swim with you if you are having a hard time. So, I think chaotic was probably a good way to put it, although I have nothing to compare it to, maybe they're all this way. After what seemed like a long time the speedy swimmers in our wave got out in front and I got ahead of the slower ones. Ahh, some space to swim without crashing into people. I think I now know that if you have a lot of space there is a pretty good chance you are taking a scenic detour. The little detour cost me some time, but I don't think it was huge. The worst part was by the time I got back on course the speedy swimmers from the next wave had caught up to me. I think I made the best of it - I figured they knew where they were going so I just kept my head down and swam and let them do the navigating.
What would you do differently?:

I guess the answer to this one would be swim faster!!! I really thought the swim would be a much better event for me. Hopefully this experience of swimming through the herd will help out the next time. Maybe (if there is a next one) I will try to start off to the side and stay away from the middle.
Transition 1
  • 07m 48s
Comments:

The long T1 is not entirely my fault. Although it was a long a$$ way from the swim into the transition area (including having to run all the way around transition to the entrance which ended up being on the far end away from where my bike was:-). When I finally got to my bike there was another girl there. She had pulled her bike out and was taking her sweet time getting her stuff together. I managed to work around her to get my shoes on and the rest of the stuff I needed, but there was no way to get to my bike until she moved.

I don't know!!! I'm not going to break any speed records so there's no need to be rude, but.....
Bike
  • 37m 4s
  • 11 miles
  • 17.81 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike time ended up being much better than I expected. There was a bit of a headwind on the return so I didn't push it thinking I would save the legs for the run. In hind sight - I think I could have given it a little more and still been fine on the run. The bike is now my new favorite part of the sport:-)

On this course I could have gone a little harder and still been fine for the run. Unfortunately that is one of those things you don't know for sure until it's over.
Transition 2
  • 03m 14s
Comments:

All went pretty smoothly here. There is a bit of extra time because I took a gel and washed it down. I probably should have done it one the move. Some times gels don't go down so easily (I have a hard time with stuff that's thick) so I figured it was worth an extra min. or so to make sure I didn't gag - that would not have been a good way to start the run.

If I going to take a gel maybe I should do that toward the end of the bike instead of during T2
Run
  • 44m 26s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 14m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was fine - I didn't even have a bad case of "lead legs" off the bike. I was hoping to be able to keep my HR down a bit for the first mile, but it didn't happen. It was 172-174 the entire run, but that was fine. It was nice to not have any "issues".

Right now, my run is what it is. I am able to cover the distance without a problem and am happy with that.
Post race
Warm down:

Lot of hugs and high-fives.

Event comments:

I think the Danskin series is super for a first time participant. The focus was on getting out there an doing it - and not necessarily about doing it fast. I met plenty of women that had done several tri's so those with more experience don't need steer clear of the series. As a first timer, it was nice to have plenty of company at the swim start all wondering exactly the same thing - "why was it I thought this was such a good idea!!!"

It was great to be able to meet a few of the BT'ers that I have chatted with over the weeks of training and put faces with the screen names.

Over all I would have to say this one goes down in the books as a success!

Last updated: 2006-07-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:57 | 880 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/120
Overall: 1090/1280
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 07:48
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:04 | 11 miles | 17.81 mile/hr
Overall: 481/1280
Performance:
Wind:
Course: It was a great course - out and back on the pennisula. It was very pretty, lots of water, nice and flat a great place to ride. There was a bit of a headwind on the return. Guess all those windy training ride on Rt. 8 paid off.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:14
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:44:26 | 03.1 miles | 14m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 1180/1280
Performance:
Course: Mostly flat. The course went past some very neat old buildings and the oldest working lighthouse in the US. It is a very pretty area.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-09-18 10:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Danskin Women's Triathlon

2006-09-18 11:06 AM
in reply to: #544411

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: RE: Danskin Women's Triathlon
Success! Congratulations! Glad you enjoyed the experience. The best part is being out there with others and meeting the challlenge head-on. I'm very happy for you. 
2006-09-18 11:17 AM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Congratulations!!!!  I was thinking the same thing when I was standing out in the water.  What a phenomenal experience overall!
2006-09-18 11:35 AM

User image

Elite
Reston VA

CONGRATS!!!

Great race report. Your training paid off

2006-09-18 11:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Way to go, Brenda!  You should be very proud!  See you at the pool!
2006-09-18 12:44 PM

User image

Master
CT
Nice job Brenda! You should be very proud of your accomplishment!! What a great day to tri!

2006-09-18 1:22 PM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Wow Brenda- you did great for your first race!  You had a speedy bike-  I'm glad to see that you have a new love for your bike   That's awesome that you didn't have any major issues along the way.  It sounds like you had fun and success in meeting your goal.  Congrats again!  Now that you've done one race are you hooked yet??  Because you know, that happens   Congrats again!
2006-09-18 7:01 PM

User image

Veteran
you totally rocked on the bike! sorry we didn't get a chance to meet.

i'm hooked, so maybe we'll meet next year!

Carol
2006-09-19 6:23 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Was really glad to be able to cheer you on when you got out of the water. You inspired me to run out of the water too! WE ARE TRIATHLETES!!!!!!! Great race and hope to see ya at another race.
2006-09-19 9:36 AM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
hey brenda, thanks for all the encouragement during training (the inspire me's really did the trick!)
congratulations on a great first race... i'm disappointed we didn't meet either, but you'll see our faces when i post my pictures from the race, my hubby shot about 220 of them of both Carol and me.
-mary
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Women's Triathlon Rss Feed