General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kansas City Tri - May 2019 - Cold Water Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-10-31 10:58 PM

Subject: Kansas City Tri - May 2019 - Cold Water
Does anyone have experience with the Kansas City Triathlon that is an early season race in May?

I'm specifically asking about the water temps. 2018 was my first year racing. I am 37 - female - and have Raynauds (my hands/feet are always cold).

I am thinking that I might want to do the Sprint KC Tri and buy a wetsuit - but I'm just really scared of the water temps. Last year I opted to do TRIzou in Columbia, MO because it was an indoor pool swim and then an outside ride/run.

Thoughts on how cold KC Tri really is?

Thanks!

2018-11-01 8:14 AM
in reply to: jpetrehn

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Kansas City Tri - May 2019 - Cold Water

I did this race a long time ago (2009) and just re-read my race report. I wrote that water temps were around 70 degrees that day and the air temp got to 90 degrees. I wore a sleeveless wetsuit, but didn't note anything specific about the water temps otherwise. This season, I did a race where the water temps dipped into the 50s, and I was afraid my feet were going to be blue when I got out, so my perspective has changed a bit on water temperatures 

As you know, Kansas weather can be completely unpredictable - but typically (I lived there for 30+ years) the water in May is still cold enough for a wetsuit. I would recommend having a wetsuit (borrow, buy, something), and practicing in it beforehand in the open water so you know what to expect.

2018-11-01 12:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS

I agree that the weather can be unpredictable for mid-May. I remember one of the local lakes had recorded 58 degree water temps a month before this year's race but come race day the water was great for a wetsuit swim (I put the water temp as 70 degrees my race report - wetsuit cutoff is 78). This race has also seen thunderstorms that night before (or during - like in 2013).

Generally speaking, the swim is always a wetsuit swim. I always like to do a quick swim/warm-up to acclimate my body a bit, if only for the sole purpose of letting my body experience the air being sucked out of my lungs feeling once it feels the cool water for the first time. Once that's out of the way I'm usually good. 

I don't think I've ever experienced significant cold hands and feet during the swim. I think it'd be more of an issue when the air temps are cool. In 2016 the water was a perfect temperature but the air temp started off in the mid-to-upper 40s. There have been a few races where my toes and fingers are a bit frigid during the first few miles of the bike.

2018-11-01 8:24 PM
in reply to: Barkeep

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
If it's 65 degrees or colder in the water, at least put your face in or splash the water on your face before entering. There is a documented thing the human body does when the face is submerged in very cold water. I experienced it once doing a tri in lake Michigan in October and the water temp was 52 degrees. I started swimming and could NOT keep my face in. My body was having none of it. Other people have more severe panic reactions, and there is another fun reaction that occurs in the lungs that causes people to cough up blood. That happened to a friend of mine in a May race in Ohio in a lake fed by mountain streams.

I understand about Reynaud's, but I'm talking total system failure here, not just hands and feet.

It's no reason not to do it, but take steps to make it successful.
2018-11-02 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
I've done this race at least 3 times in the last 5 years. The coldest was in 2014, water temp was around 60-61 degrees. We actually had some snow in the first week of May that year which is very unusual.

That was by far the coldest I had ever experienced in an open water swim. I had full wetsuit gear and DID NOT get in the water prior to my wave going off and it was quite a shock. Breathing was difficult at first but everything was OK after the first 200 yards or so.

The temps can vary here in K.C. so the water could be anywhere from 60 to 75 degrees depending on the year. i can't recall it not being wetsuit legal.
2018-11-06 7:42 PM

THANK YOU all for the great comments!!! I very much appreciate it! I still haven't decided if I'm going to go for it or not...I would need to get a wetsuit. Might just do the same event as last year with an indoor swim. (maybe) Need to figure that all out...but this gives me great insight!

2018-11-07 8:05 AM

My wife has Reynaud's so I understand where you are coming from. I've done a 70.3 at 61* water temp in a sleeveless suit and it was OK but if I did that distance at that temp again I would go sleeved. You should go with a sleeved wetsuit relative to your condition. And maybe booties...I think they are race legal? You can also buy insulating swim / skull caps that can be worn under your race swim cap. As I am sure you know, if you keep your noggin warm it can have a great effect on your total comfort in cold conditions.
2018-11-07 8:22 AM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

User image

Master
, Minnesota
You could always consider some cold weather swim gear - a thermal swim cap, booties or gloves.
2018-11-07 7:25 PM
in reply to: leapdog

do you know if these are USAT legal to wear?
2018-11-08 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
I've done the KC tri 7 times (olympic distance).

I ALWAYS use my full sleeve tri suit and am naturally cold anyways.

The water temps could be 60's to 70's and has always been wetsuit legal. Ironic that the water is warmer than the air so it's actually nice to get in and start the race.

Here's a few ideas I use to battle the cold.

- I wear my tri outfit under the suit for another layer to stay warm. Yes, it will be wet when you get out on the bike, but it dries pretty quick.
- Layer the swim caps. I use a neoprene cap or two swim caps. Keeping the body heat in the head makes a huge difference.
- You can check into neoprene swim socks. I would message the RD to see if they are legal. Some races do not allow it and some will look the other way.
- I don't get in the water until before the race start. Nothing worse than getting in and then standing around getting cold.
- Pee in your suit. Yes, gross... but either do that or get some water in the suit to warm up with body heat and that creates a warm layer. Nothing crazy.
- Right before you get in the water, grab a handful and throw it into your face. That small shock will get you ready for the big shock of immersing your body.
2018-11-18 8:04 PM
in reply to: TriJayhawkRyan

Thanks again for all the comments!

Ryan - I am in Olathe too! and have looked at your site several times....just can't afford a coach right now...but maybe someday when I bump up to longer distance. 70.3 is starting to be on my checklist :-) just sprints and maybe OLY for this upcoming summer.

anyways....I jumped on a deal and got a ROKA longsleve Elite II and their neop. swim cap too. I was looking some swim socks too (also heard the parking out there is kinda bad and thought they might help in transition too). but will have to check with the RD.

Thanks again for all the insight. I'm going to literally take the plunge and face my cold water fear straight on!

Jennifer

2018-11-19 4:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Thanks for checking out the site. Keep tabs on it... I'm launching an update for Black Friday and offering options that between free advice and full on coaching.

You should do great. And for the socks, they usually are not super strict at KC Tri... so I wouldn't sweat it too much.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kansas City Tri - May 2019 - Cold Water Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sprint tri in 68-70 degree water.

Started by Ann3
Views: 1196 Posts: 12

2018-08-19 4:48 PM Ann3

Cold Swim Suggestions

Started by dmiller5
Views: 750 Posts: 3

2018-04-20 3:13 PM b2run

Prepping for cold weather tri

Started by Augie_Carrie
Views: 390 Posts: 1

2018-04-02 4:25 PM Augie_Carrie

2008 Kansas 70.3

Started by dww2
Views: 391 Posts: 1

2018-01-10 2:24 PM dww2

Please share best/worst cold weather race stories!

Started by alicefoeller
Views: 2933 Posts: 19

2018-01-12 8:50 AM audiojan