General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Impact of endurance training on menopause? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-11-04 10:41 AM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Subject: Impact of endurance training on menopause?
Does anyone have anecdotal or other evidence that if I continue training, staying fit and eating clean, plus add some strength to my routine, that I'll have an easier time getting through menopause? I keep hearing terrible stories of immense strain on relationships, etc. Most of these stories are from people who are not at all fit, and I know hormones are stored in fat, and the more fat you are, the bigger the hormonal fluctuations.

I'd love to hear about superfit older female triathletes who barely noticed menopause happened.

2018-11-05 12:34 AM
in reply to: alicefoeller

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Subject: RE: Impact of endurance training on menopause?
Well, I don’t know but I’d be interested to know, as I am rapidly approaching it (in fact, I think I am already in peri-menopause).
My guess is that yes, the menopause is a strain on your body, so the fitter you are, the better you’ll handle it. That’s only a guess, based on...... well, hope mainly,
2018-11-06 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Great topic! 

I am in peri. My period stopped for the better part of 6 months while I trained for IMChoo in 2017. Started back up right after the race. Could have been Amenorrhea but I believe that is usually found in low BMI athletes (which I am not).  In August/September of this year I was on a pretty heavy period for the better part of six weeks. I don't know how much of it was hormones and how much was me just being sick of bleeding but I wasn't even interested in a kiss from my husband of 30 years.  Things weren't really strained but I was in more of a platonic mood.

I started looking in to natural remedies. Started taking cayenne for the bleeding and a Gaia women's supplement for the hormones. The bleeding finally stopped and my feelings toward my husband went back to normal. 

All that to say, I am pretty active and seem to be putting up with the same crap that most women put up with. Maybe to a lesser extent (so far). My mother isn't around to ask and I never thought to do it before she passed, but I know that she and Dad divorced when she was about that age.

2018-11-14 7:33 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Thanks. If you're wanting to be done with all bleeding, you can get an endometrial ablation - NovaSure is one brand. I had it done before my Ironman in 2010 and haven't had a period since. Obviously it ends the ability to get pregnant.
2018-11-14 8:45 AM

User image

Pro

I don't know anything about menopause......but I do know that lifelong daily workouts likely is helping Sybil.......er....I mean my wife....get through it.  If nothing else.....it's something to hold on to when it seems a bit crazy (her words).

2018-11-15 3:02 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Originally posted by alicefoeller

Thanks. If you're wanting to be done with all bleeding, you can get an endometrial ablation - NovaSure is one brand. I had it done before my Ironman in 2010 and haven't had a period since. Obviously it ends the ability to get pregnant.

Suffered from bad bleeding too a few years ago (I was only 44 at the time, not sure it had to do with the menopause). I did my first ever tri with anemia, a lot of fun

My doctor suggested endometrial ablation but I chose a hormonal coil instead. Seemed less barbaric. haven't had a period since either so I wonder how I am going to know if the menopause is here for real.
been experiencing some hot flushes for the last couple of months but no mood swings (other than the mood swings I've been experiencing all my Life) or anything else.

2018-11-15 9:43 AM
in reply to: Rollergirl

My wife (fit but not a traithlete) is in menopause and she has found hormones to help. She has a cream compounded by a pharmacy that has various hormones in it that were recommended by her naturopathic-leaning doctor. Having the right hormone mix also helps her with a chronic insomnia problem that has plagued her for decades. She eats very healthy as well.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Impact of endurance training on menopause? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Body Composition Basics for Endurance Athletes - Reposted from Articles

Started by k9car363
Views: 591 Posts: 1

2018-11-01 6:00 AM k9car363

Bike strength and endurance in the same workout

Started by pipsyboy
Views: 715 Posts: 5

2018-09-12 9:08 AM TriJayhawkRyan

Improving Swim Endurance

Started by tazrocky
Views: 949 Posts: 7