General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TRI BIKE Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-11-06 2:37 PM

Subject: TRI BIKE
Had a few questions regarding a tri bike. I completed my 1st Sprint 2 months ago and fell in love with the sport. I completed the Sprint on a mountain bike just to see if I liked the sport and now that I do, I have a few question/comments. This forum seems to answer a lot of my questions so I'll go ahead and list them to see what you think

1. I have never been fitted for a bike so I don't know what size I am. Can I just go to a bike shop and get sized without a bike?
2. Do all tri bikes cost that much? (Really the #1 reason what is holding me back)
3. Is there a site I can go to for used/cheaper tri bikes? Including the classified forum here
4. I want to do a HIM in the next 2 years so a Road bike is out of the question from what I've researched so far, right?

I guess these are my main questions/comments. Total newbie when it comes to this sport but love absolutely every minute of it so that's why I figured I would ask the Tri-Community here. Thank you for any responses

2018-11-06 4:18 PM
in reply to: jdwyer02

User image

Subject: RE: TRI BIKE
Welcome to the sport!

1. If you go to a good fitter they will tell you what your stack and reach measurements are and will help you find a bike that best fits those coordinates.

2. I purchased my Cervelo P2 used from Facebook Marketplace for $500. Right now is a good time to be in the market. 2019 models are coming out so stores will want to liquidate older year models. You should be able to find a good, used triathlon bike for under $1000 if you are patient, you just have to make sure it's a good fit for you.

3. Craigslist, mybikeshop.com, slowtwitch classifieds, bikesdirect.com, nashbar.com, online swap meet for cyclists on Facebook, Tri n Sell it on Facebook, etc. Don't be scared to buy used!

4. Nope, I did Augusta 70.3 in september. Plenty of road bikes in the transition area. Admittedly, a few of them beat me during the bike leg too . Aero road bike with clip on aero bars and some adjustments will get you a good bit of aero gains.

Don't feel like you have to take the plunge right away. Be patient and find a good deal on a used bike, they're out there.
2018-11-06 8:00 PM
in reply to: Parkland

Thank you for the response.
2018-11-07 7:19 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by jdwyer02

Had a few questions regarding a tri bike. I completed my 1st Sprint 2 months ago and fell in love with the sport. I completed the Sprint on a mountain bike just to see if I liked the sport and now that I do, I have a few question/comments. This forum seems to answer a lot of my questions so I'll go ahead and list them to see what you think

1. I have never been fitted for a bike so I don't know what size I am. Can I just go to a bike shop and get sized without a bike?
  2. Do all tri bikes cost that much? (Really the #1 reason what is holding me back)
  3. Is there a site I can go to for used/cheaper tri bikes? Including the classified forum here
  4. I want to do a HIM in the next 2 years so a Road bike is out of the question from what I've researched so far, right?

I guess these are my main questions/comments. Total newbie when it comes to this sport but love absolutely every minute of it so that's why I figured I would ask the Tri-Community here. Thank you for any responses

1. The best thing you can do is get a fit BEFORE you make a bike purchase - that way you know you are paying for a bike that will fit you properly.  It's likely the fitter will suggest a bike(s) you've not even considered.  It will be the best $$ you spend.  You can find a reputable fitter in your area here.
  2. NO!!! You do NOT need to pay the ridiculous amount of money the manufacturers would like you to believe you need to spend.  Recently a wind tunnel test was done that arguably proved the mid-level triathlon bikes are only a couple of watts slower than the ultra high-end superbikes.  The simple reality is you can put Sebastian Kienle on a Walmart road bike and he will consistently beat every age-group athlete in virtually any triathlon.  It isn't about the bike - it's about the engine.  There is no rule that says you MUST ride a "triathlon bike."  If you find yourself at some point competing at the very highest level you may wish to consider a high-end bike.  You DON'T need that to get started.
  3. The list is endless where you can locate used bikes - Craigslist, BT Classifieds, Slowtwitch Classifieds, E-Bay to name a few.
  4. See #2 above.  There is no reason you can't do any triathlon of any distance on a road bike.  If you ultimately want to challenge for an overall podium finish, qualify for Kona, etc., you may want to consider a quality "triathlon bike."  Certainly at most sprint and Olympic distance events you will see "Beach Cruisers", Fat-Bikes, Mountain bikes, Hybrid bikes, Road bikes, and yes triathlon bikes in transition. As you go up in distance the ratio begins to favor triathlon bikes, however it won't be uncommon to see road bikes at even 140.6 events.  At the end of the day, it's about the engine.  Additionally, if you can't maintain aero for the distance of the race, being on a triathlon bike is a waste of money because you will be slower sitting upright on a triathlon bike than you would be on a road bike.

Hope that helps.

2018-11-07 7:58 AM
in reply to: k9car363

I did my first triathlon (a sprint) on my mountain bike. Believe it or not, I had never owned a road bike in my life. I got hooked on triathlon and wanted to do longer course races. I went to the premier bike fitter in town and bought his lower cost carbon fiber bike (Kestrel) for about $1,800 out the door. The bike was available in triathlon or road configurations and I chose a road bike with a pair of good clip-on aero bars. I ride a lot in town where I am not in aero. Additionally, I wanted road bike brake levers. I am happy with my decision to go with a road bike.

The second triathlon I competed in (and finished) was a 70.3. I actually saw a dude out there on a mountain bike, but that was the only one. There were a decent number of road bikes on the course.
2018-11-07 9:48 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

There are a few online fit calculators.  They're not a replacement for a proper fit, but can be used to start your search.  

Tri bikes are expensive.  Capitalism at it's best!  Volumes for tri-bikes are significantly lower than road bikes so design cost has to be amortized over a smaller volume.  

Yes, you can shop BT classified ads, craigslist, cycling forums.  I got my tri bike from Ebay 12 years ago.  

Ride a bike that fits and that is comfortable.  Maybe it's a tri bike, maybe it's a road bike with clip-ons, maybe it's a straight up road bike.  My experience is that clip-ons/aero gets 1-1.5 mph.  If that's 17 mph to 18 mph, you'll cover the 56 miles 11 minutes faster on the tri bike.  Are those 11 minutes worth $500 more on the bike?  I too have seen mountain bikes on HIM courses.  I've also been passed on my tri-bike by a mountain biker as if I were standing still.  Ride lots and ride smart and you'll do well whether it's a roadie or tri bike.  

2018-11-07 10:21 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

Originally posted by McFuzz

I too have seen mountain bikes on HIM courses.  I've also been passed on my tri-bike by a mountain biker as if I were standing still. 

Ha! The mountain biker I mentioned in my post passed me a few times during the 70.3 and I passed him a few times. I am not sure who ended up in transition first. We weren't exactly back of pack nor were we solid middle of pack participants. Somewhere in-between. Not bad for a then 61 year old doing only his second ever triathlon.
2018-11-07 1:08 PM
in reply to: HaydenHunter

Thank you for all the responses. I'm new to the gear side of things. Just want the correct stuff before I spend my money
2018-11-07 1:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by McFuzz

T My experience is that clip-ons/aero gets 1-1.5 mph.  If that's 17 mph to 18 mph, you'll cover the 56 miles 11 minutes faster on the tri bike.  Are those 11 minutes worth $500 more on the bike? 

Exactly. If you had a decent road bike and wanted to add a tri bike to the stable, I'd be fully on board with that. When you're waffling between a tri bike and a road bike, I agree with the "is moving from 92nd to 73rd in age group in a HIM worth it?" line of questioning. Not just the cost difference, but there are a lot of other compromises with a tri bike.

If you don't have either, get the road bike first. It's a more versatile, and, frankly, safer bike to train on. I have one of each, but do 80% of my training on the road bike. If one had to go, it would be the tri-bike, no questions asked.

Edited by gary p 2018-11-07 1:43 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TRI BIKE Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New help with Tri-bike purchase ASAP!!!!!

Started by lisa34
Views: 2218 Posts: 17

2018-06-26 8:19 PM lisa34

Road vs tri bike count

Started by Sleepyluke
Views: 883 Posts: 6

2018-04-17 7:31 AM Hot Runner

First Indoor Tri, bike strategy?

Started by Tri Special K
Views: 610 Posts: 2

2018-04-09 6:03 AM gary p

MN Tri Bike For sale