General Discussion Triathlon Talk » kit for the larger chap Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-11-07 6:26 AM

Subject: kit for the larger chap
Hi Forum,

i am new to this forum, so i feel like i need to validate my existence. In a nutshell, last year i got to my heaviest weight of 22 stone. by commuting to work by bike and a bit of jogging, i have lost 5 stone. This year i ran all 4 wolf runs in the year and have my Alpha wolf medal hanging proudly.
Next year, i am doing a few more sportives and will be having a dabble with doing a triathlon.

which leads me to my first (of probably many) questions. what kit is ideal for guys who are carrying a spare tyre (or two) around their waist?

i know i need kit that i can swim in and then transition to the bike and run. but i need something that can compress my stomach a bit but also not make me look like a fat man in a gimp suit.

Any ideas?

2018-11-25 8:38 PM
in reply to: daj23m

Subject: RE: kit for the larger chap
I'm scratching around this topic myself

I'm 140kg (22st.) and did my first half ironman last year, sat back at my desk for 9 months (apparently on my laurels) and went back to Go again. So I've had to start over again!

At that race December (Busselton Ironman) I had a strategy of a full change under the towel from swim, to cycle to run - all up I spent 20 minutes in transition. I figured I could reduce that by at least 10 minutes if I was better equipped. The pro's seem to have a total transition time of about 4 minutes!

It's been quite difficult to find gear that fits OK. 2XL is too small for me and a lot of companies seem to stop there.

A couple of companies (Aerotech and Fat Lad at the Back) seem to cater fo the larger gent. I've seen some Castelli Free gear go to 3XL.

I haven't worked out the use of the tri-suit yet - can you swim in it without a tri wet-suit over the top? Last year, I seemed to be one of the only people on the beach that was bear chested but the fabric of the one piece triathlon suits doesn't seem to be 'right' for a swim - maybe someone can help out with this conundrum.

The strategy that I will try this year (next week) will be to use a pair of triathlon shorts and build around that.
I'll swim in just the shorts
I'll ride in the shorts (and may throw my normal bib/knicks over the top (will trial that this week)) with a pull on cycle top
For the run I'll go back to just the tri-shorts and throw on my normal running/workout top (Lulu Lemon!)

For this type of distance, for me at the moment, it's about getting to the finish line in the first instance and then getting the time. Comfort is pivotal to finishing.

I'll let you know how this years experiment has gone in a week or so
Cheers
Frank

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » kit for the larger chap Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Flat kit help

Started by LundyLund
Views: 872 Posts: 10

2018-05-24 4:08 PM Donto

Medium to Large Speed Concept Help

Started by resqd1