Sunny
Total Time = 1h 02m 27s
Overall Rank = 425/3184
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 73/498
Pre-race routine:

"Overall is female"

It was an unusual event in many ways...

I arrived in Vegas on Saturday morning, with a friend. We went to the Expo, did a ton of walking, a fair amount of beer drinking, had a decadent dinner at Fleur, saw the One show, and finished up with a drink at our hotel (Mirage).

Sunday morning we started with breakfast, a ton more walking, we decided to have a beer at a restaurant we found with many good beers on tap, and then headed to our hotel to get ready. Our race start time was 4, so we planned to leave the hotel by 3 to head to the start. Las Vegas Blvd was closed so no hope for an easy taxi, bus or ride-share (which is a huge pain in Vegas on a good day). We ultimately just walked it.
Event warmup:

So... we walked almost 2 miles from our hotel room. Arrived at about 3:45 and fought our way to corral 2. I knew something funny was up because my 1;00 estimated time landed me in corral 2 of 10!!! Lol. They sent everyone off with one shot, it didn't take me very long to get moving.
Run
  • 1h 02m 27s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

I started running and felt amazing! It was very flat, although at an elevation higher than home (about 2000 ft versus 900). We had a huge amount of road to work with and I just chugged along. We ran from near the Stratosphere, towards downtown, did a loop around a block off Freemont, and then headed back towards the finish by the Mirage.

My lips were SO DRY - I wished for a handheld water bottle or even my pack. That would have been handy for afterwards, too. I would have paid big money for an tube of Chapstick.
I did walk through 2 aid stations, the first for Gatorade and the second for water. Otherwise I just ran really surprisingly well. I felt like I was on wheels. Crazy considering the amount of walking, eating and drinking leading up the event.

I think the course was probably a tiny bit short since even with the lap around the block I only hit 6.2. I definitely did NOT run that perfectly. The last bit was quite crowded as we neared the finish line because they had to divide the road to make a chute for the half and full marathoners. I definitely never want to do a longer distance at this event - it would be so weird! Although it is always awesome to run in the dark.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked another gillion miles to get food, drinks, foil, pictures. Left the finish area and decided now was the time for a silly mixed drink in a reusable cup. I had so much crap to carry I formed my foil into a satchel, so once we cooled down it was a dash back to the hotel. Capped the night with a delicious dinner in the Venetian. It was fun to see runners coming back throughout the night. We congratulated ourselves on the decision to do the 10k.

I think my ranking is hugely inflated due to the type of race. I have no business being this high in the rankings. But whatever - it always comes down to who shows up.

Event comments:

Weirdly no porta potties for the 10k at all. AT ALL! I heard it was sparse for the longer distances, too. It was fun, but not a serious race. A great race for beginners wanting a fun experience. There are time limits for all 3 races.

Last updated: 2018-11-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:02:27 | 06.2 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/498
Overall: 425/3184
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5