General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hawaii Law Designated Swimming-Only Lagoon in Kahala! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-11-22 4:10 PM

Subject: Hawaii Law Designated Swimming-Only Lagoon in Kahala!
Aloha swimmers!

While I don't compete in open water races anymore, I still love to swim on my own, and do so often. Although I'm sure some of you are aware of this gem of a natural resource, I wanted to remind you about a great swimming lagoon in Kahala. It's a human-made dredged lagoon, very protected, very similar to Ala Moana lagoon, and it's about 2000' long. Safe, flat, protected, and really pretty. It would be great to see more swimmers use this wonderful swimming area. In fact, most people don't know it, but almost the whole lagoon from the Western side starting in front of the Waialae Beach Park extending all the way to the far Eastern peninsula on the Hawaii Kai side of the Kahala hotel, is actually designated as a swimming-only lagoon, by Hawaii State law. There is small portion that is a channel that technically a boat could use, but I have never seen a boat use it in over 40 years of swimming there, but the rest is for swimmers only, with no SUPs, kayaks, surfboards, canoes, boats, or other vessels allowed. This makes it great for swimmers! It's a great swim to start at the beach park, head East, swim between the peninsula and the little island, through the small section designated channel (which is only in front of the Western 1/4 of the portion of lagoon between the peninsulas fronting the hotel, around the raft in front of the hotel, and back to the beach park (several times if time permits!). Morning sunrise is gorgeous! And..it never has that kind of stink almost sewage smell that often permeates the Eastern end of the Ala Moana lagoon. Plus the beach park showers are great, and the parking is usually easy. Some of us swimmers use the lagoon, but it would be great to see more swimmers use the lagoon to train, do club swims, socialize, etc. I have aerial photo marked to show where the large, long swimming-only sections in the lagoon are and would love to post it here for everyone, but haven't figured out hot to get that image to show up. If anyone knows how to post an image, please let me know and I will be glad to post it. Come on over to the Kahala lagoon swimmers, and introduce yourself if you see us other swimmers, and we will do the same. Thanks Beginner Triathlete website for continuing to be such a great resource for those of us who like to get out there and exercise.

Mahalo!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hawaii Law Designated Swimming-Only Lagoon in Kahala! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimming Technique Tips for Triathlon Swims - Reposted from Articles

Started by k9car363
Views: 1310 Posts: 2

2018-04-29 1:38 PM tazrocky

Running route or running groups in Princeville, Kauai Hawaii

Started by canadarn2001
Views: 660 Posts: 1

2018-01-14 10:46 AM canadarn2001

Right hand pinkie gets numb while swimming

Started by kcgolf
Views: 4676 Posts: 13