Hawaii Police
78F / 26C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 51m 29s
Overall Rank = 2/30
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

We stayed at the Pagoda hotel downtown, got a great last minute deal on hotels.com. Even though we live on the island staying downtown allows us to sleep and extra 40 minutes. For dinner we got pizza from Big Kahuna's by the airport and split a huge brownie. I the morning we got up at 4:40 had breakfast, oatmeal and coffee, and left the hotel at 5:15. The hotel was 1.5 miles away so we were parked by 5:30. Got the wife unloaded as she was doing the H3 bike race only (she took 2nd overall). The got all my stuff. Mixed 3 bottles of gatorade endurance and advocare spark.
Event warmup:

Walked .5 miles to get marked and chipped. Jogged back to the car .5 miles, then used the backroom. Biked back to transition .5 miles and set up. I used 4 anti fatigue caps as usual and also supplemented with AMP human performance lotion all over the legs. In the weeks leading up the the race I used iron and victory boost caps (VO2 max increase caps). Drank 1 bottle of gatorade/spark and had a gu rocatne.
Swim
  • 13m 41s
  • 900 yards
  • 01m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

The race director wanted to get us off early due to winds and rain coming through so we started the swim 20 minutes early which I knew would put us finishing about the same time as the olympic racers. I set up deep with Todd Sukolsy (overall winner and triathlon stud), I figured he would take the swim and I would try to hang onto his ankles for a bit but after 100 yards he was gone with a 15 second lead on me and was adding about 15 seconds per 100 yards. So I figured pull hard and minimize losses to him on the swim. Sighting was super easy from the lagoon going west as there is a huge radio tower to pick up and on the way back I was able to use a gap between the skyscrapers downtown. I got out of the water and headed to T1 which is about 100 yards across the parking lot.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, very good swim. 1:58 behind the leader and :57 ahead of second place.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

This was one of my poorest transitions ever for no particular reason. I got into transition and realized that I still had my swim skin on so I fought to get it off. I the just was slow getting on all my gear for the bike. I added socks and bike gloves to the normal bike outfit but it shouldn't have effected me that badly. Next I packed all my gear into the drop off bag and cinched it shut since this was a point to point race and the swim gear would be dropped off at T2. As I ran out of T1 my bottle fell out of the cage as I ran the bike off the curb, under the cool conditions, cheap bottle cage, and bottle hand-off at the top of H3 I decided not to go after it. I was cautious getting onto the bike and getting up to speed because of all the water.

Maybe a practice run through transition. Buy better bottle cages.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 1s
  • 25.3 kms
  • 19.97 km/hr
Comments:

I came out of T1 with Ben Williams, Nick Brown, and Tim Connlley and knew the bike was going to be on. Fro the first 8 miles me, nick, and tim played yo-yo until I took the lead as we transitioned onto H1. My left hamstring got tight during the flat push but I figured hold it together and see how the climb and downhill play out. From H1-H3 nick and tim were behind me and I focused on HR management and nutrition preps. Up the H3, nich took the lead and I chased him up the climb until I caught him at the very top. Unfortunately peter thompson came blasting past us 1 mile from the top and didn't even look like he was working. the winds at this point were doing serious work to me and I was down between 7-10mph, at this point I regretted the disc wheel and knew it was going to be even worse on the other side. I made it to the top and got set up for bottle hand off, nailed it and started the descent. The 1 mile through he tunnel was harder than expected because there was a constant headwind as it was all being funneled in. As I came out of the tunnel, I was scared for my life because the winds we 30ish mph with gust and the road was slightly wet, I was sure that I was going to be swept off the bike and lay it down in excess of 35 mph. The whole rest of the ride it was a back and forth with nick. We stayed in the left lane mostly as we started passing all the bike race/bike ride people that had been dropped or were stopping for pictures. The nutrition strategy was drink every mile and gu roctane at the start of the bike, maurten gels at the bottom and top of the climb, and last gu roctane at the exit going into the last mile. On the bike KOM segment which runs from T1 to to of H3, I was 3rd out of all triathletes sprint/olympic out of 119.

Exceptional bike! 2nd out of 30 sprint triathletes, would have been 4th out of 78 Olympic triathletes, beat all 13 relay teams, and would have been 8th out of 132 cyclists. overall 12th out of 253 people that attempted the H3. The race had over 200 no-shows due to weather.

In the future, I need to re-gear from a 53 absolute black chain ring to a 55 or 56, I was completely spun out every time I exceeded 34mph. The other thing is switch wheelsets from my H3/disc combo to my HED 60 wheelset because they are lighter and less effected by crosswinds.
Transition 2
  • 60m 17s
Comments:

This is the funniest thing ever, some people are mad about it but I was like whatever. We get into T2 and our running shoes are not there. The truck that was supposed to bring them over broke down and they were delayed essentially an hour from the time I got into T2. It was fun just hanging out talking with all the athletes and seeing the disappointment/astonishment on everyone's face when we told the slow down your shoes aren't here. So we all used the restroom several times, got drinks and snacks, and stretched out. The truck arrived and everyone got there gear and 15 minutes later the 5k/10k race went off as a mass start.

nothing to be done here. the race director threw out everyone's T2 time since it was the only fair way to handle transition.
Run
  • 19m 46s
  • 5 kms
  • 03m 57s  min/km
Comments:

I started with nike vaporfly 4%'s for the first time. The race director said go and we were off. I was in the lead group for the first half of the race and working hard. I figured todd had a 3 minute lead on me and I knew he normally ran 8 minute miles on strava so i was trying to go sub 7 to whittle down his lead. I was running 4th behind 3 Olympic races and i was surprised i was hold place because i haven't been running much do to plantar fascistic in my left foot. at the turn i saw todd was 10 seconds back and he made a move when i slowed for water at the aid station, i was all out but couldn't real him back in and he finished the run 17 seconds ahead of me but i was 2:30 ahead of the next fastest runner of the day.

shut running down earlier when the PF started getting bad. but this was still the fastest run split on any triathlon I have ever done.
Post race
Warm down:

hung out for a while, ate, drank water and gatorade, and hung out to see what would happen for awards. i wished i had cash because i could have gotten a massage. after seeing all my friends come in and finding out awards woudl be delayed me and the wife jumped on our bikes and headed onto base to pick up the car we dropped off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

the winds and rain were biggest factors. lesser factors T1 transition and bike setup (crank and wheelset). This was my highest ever USAT rated race at 88.727.

Event comments:

This is an awesome race that isn't super well known but if you don't live on Oahu its worth the trip! It has one of the most challenging climbs you will ever do on a triathlon. The proceeds go to the police department. The awards and swag are great. The race director is second to none with communications and execution of the race.

Last updated: 2018-11-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:41 | 900 yards | 01m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 2/30
Performance:
Suit: TYR Torque Lite
Course: Ala Moana Beach Park Swim (1500M/750M) Both the Olympic (1500m) and Short course (750M) swim will have a beach start fronting the keyhole area of the park, there will be 3 swim waves. Participants will swim straight out to a buoy, then turn left swimming parallel to the beach east bound, take a left then swim back west parallel to shore west bound. The swimmers will exit the water fronting the keyhole where they began. Olympic distance will turn around at the at the last buoy, while the short course will turn at another marked buoy that will be closer. Exit water to T1. https://racetothebaseh3t.com/swim-courses https://www.strava.com/activities/1970641224
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:16:01 | 25.3 kms | 19.97 km/hr
Performance: Good
HR 165bpm, cadence 91rpm, estimated power 232watts https://www.strava.com/activities/1970641238
Wind: Strong
Course: The bike course is broke up into segments: miles 1-8 are flat and fast going from downtown to the H1 freeway. Miles 8-10 is slow rollers taking you down the H1 onto the H3. Miles 10-15 is a steady climb up the H3 at and average grade of 3% but the last mile of the climb is 6%. The next mile is the tunnel. Miles 16-20 is the drop coming down out of the tunnel, great views of the bay but be careful of crosswinds. Miles 21-24 feature 2 hard short climbs: 1st is a 1 mile climb at 2% and the second climb is .66 miles at 9%, there are good drops in between the climbs. Miles 24-T2 is flat and closed traffic to the elementary school. https://racetothebaseh3t.com/bike-course
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 60:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:19:46 | 05 kms | 03m 57s  min/km
Performance: Good
average HR 173bpm 1st mile - 6:14 - 169bpm, 2nd mile - 6:36 - 174bpm, 3rd mile - 6:38 - 177bpm https://www.strava.com/segments/19347059
Course: Simple out and back onto the marine corps base https://racetothebaseh3t.com/run-courses
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes