General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Upgrade Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-11-26 12:52 PM

Subject: Bike Upgrade Question
I just finished my 2nd year of Triathlon. 1st year I bought a cheap $300 aluminum road bike.

This year upgraded to a used Carbon Framed Road bike with standard wheels and bought a cheap set of aero bars

Still trying get faster and working on my "motor" obviously but now wondering from an equipment side....which would make more of an impact on my bike performance........putting Carbon Wheels and higher end set of aero bars on my existing road bike

OR

bite the bullet and buy a Triathlon Time Trial Bike?

Thanks

2018-11-26 1:32 PM
in reply to: Rocknrob72

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Bike Upgrade Question
Time Trial bike. Also, if you dial in your fit on the TT bike there's time to gain right there that would gain you more than a new set of wheels. I recommend getting a good fit before purchasing a TT bike. That may cost some $$ but you'll optimize your TT bike selection which will get you to faster bike splits.
2018-11-26 1:59 PM
in reply to: #5252134

User image

I’d go with the tri bike. It will not only save time from aerodynamics, if properly fitted, but will also save your legs for the run portion.

Carbon wheels look cool but really don’t offer a huge time savings. Wind tunnel testing shows that shaved legs offer nearly the same time savings as adding carbon wheels.
2018-11-26 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
TT bike or aero wheels on existing setup.

Do you have an aero helmet?

Great black Friday/cyber monday deals and good priced used ones.
2018-11-26 3:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by Rocknrob72 ....which would make more of an impact on my bike performance........putting Carbon Wheels and higher end set of aero bars on my existing road bike OR bite the bullet and buy a Triathlon Time Trial Bike? Thanks

I have been in the sport for 3-1/2 years.  I do the 70.3 distance races and have improved from 18.5 MPH average to 22 MPH average.  Here is what I did.

1) First bike was a 17 year old Aluminum Frame TT bike with stock 650C stock wheels.  I did my fist race in Speedo Jammer Swim Shorts and an Under Armor compression shirt.  I averaged 18.5 MPH for 56 miles after 4 months of training.

2) My bike mechanic told me that two things were worth spending money on. First a good seat.  Second a set of race wheels.  He said that any time you up grade your bike you just switch them out and put them on the new bike.  He also told me that the gearing on the bikes with 700C wheels would work out better for me.  My $300 bike had a high end bike seat on it  so I kept the seat and my first upgrade was to a 9 year old Carbon Frame bike with 700C stock wheels.  

3) My next purchases were to upgrade the Speed Swim shorts and compression shirt to a Tri Suit, Latex tubes for my continental Grand Prix Tires, and an XLab between the aerobars aero hydration system with a straw, . 

4) Next was the Aero Helmet. 

5) After all that I went for the HED carbon Rear Disk Wheel and Tri Spoke Front wheel.

6) About all I have done since then was to change out the platform petals with toe clips for speed play pedals and LG bike shoes.

I didn't see an overnight speed increase with any single upgrade. When I put on these new tires, that new helmet or the new wheel set I found my speed was nearly identical to what I was doing the date before on the other equipment. I think they gave me just enough an edge every time to keep moving forward and to not plateau.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2018-11-26 3:22 PM
2018-11-27 11:24 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Bite the bullet...

This article linked below is 6 years old now but offers a good comparison for a RB vs TB and still applies. Along with all the aero support goodies (wheels, helmet, water bottle, storage, etc.), don't forget about using proper tires with good Crr and latex tubes.

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/article/how-aero-is-aero-19273/

2018-11-27 9:14 PM

Originally posted by Rocknrob72

I just finished my 2nd year of Triathlon. 1st year I bought a cheap $300 aluminum road bike.

This year upgraded to a used Carbon Framed Road bike with standard wheels and bought a cheap set of aero bars

Still trying get faster and working on my "motor" obviously but now wondering from an equipment side....which would make more of an impact on my bike performance........putting Carbon Wheels and higher end set of aero bars on my existing road bike

OR

bite the bullet and buy a Triathlon Time Trial Bike?

Thanks

Even with carbon wheels on the road bike, the TT bike is going to be quicker (assuming a proper fit). Specificity in bikes is very important. Plus, having two bikes in the barn gives some much needed variety of training and some flexibility when one bike needs to get serviced or you need a part in an emergency.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Upgrade Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Upgrade advise

Started by Onlyhisway
Views: 830 Posts: 7

2018-11-08 8:46 AM Onlyhisway

Tri bike cockpit worth upgrading?

Started by Parkland
Views: 794 Posts: 3

2018-10-29 10:21 AM TriJayhawkRyan

Beginner Bike Question