General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi! Beginner looking for some advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-12-07 1:15 PM

Subject: Hi! Beginner looking for some advice
Hi everyone!

I usually run obstacle course races but was convinced to try a Triathlon by one of my cousins. It seems like a fun and interesting challenge and it could be a life long sport for me.

A bit about me. I'm a 27 yr old male who is semi active. I'm fit enough to be competitive in Rec League sports but am not an accomplished athlete by any means. I've completed about a half-dozen Tough Mudders and one Half-Marathon. I'm a decent runner, an OK biker and a novice swimmer.

The thing that probably spooks me the most about a Tri is the swim. I'm an OK swimmer but I haven't done any endurance work before and open water is pretty intimidating.

I've started on the 0 to 1650 program and am about a week in. (http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html) A friend just recommended me the swim focused 20-week program that you guys have. (https://beginnertriathlete.com/mobile/Article.html?articleId=44&fbclid=IwAR1hiF0ku-sfcTdUHddGALLX_RLwTxzhO5jS3QtJAnUm51VDt8jv7xfkogY)

I like the defined structure of the 0 to 1650 program. So my question for you guys is: what are your thoughts of using the 0 to 1650 for the first six weeks and then transitioning to the time based 20 week program. Otherwise I'd be curious what changes you might recommend.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

S

2018-12-08 9:31 PM
in reply to: sjpatrick

User image

Subject: RE: Hi! Beginner looking for some advice
Hi dude,

I was in a very similar situation to you a couple years ago. Lame swimmer, average cyclist and a good runner. The best bit of advice for the swim is to get a coach or go to a swim club and get them to analyze your stroke and form. I was told the first time I was viewed by a swim coach that I was 'fighting the water'. If you get nervous about the swim you need to practice stress inoculation by embracing the water in the pool, open water, lake etc as much as you can. The good thing is that the swim is the smallest component to the overall race so don't get wrapped up about it. My philosophy is 'Finish the swim, warm up on the bike and go hard on the run'.
2018-12-10 9:24 AM
in reply to: thepursuitofmaximus

Hey!

Thanks for the response. That's a good plan. My gym offers some swim lessons. I'll see if I can't take a couple of those and get some advice to help me improve. I'll have to look into open water swimming before race day too, just so it isn't a surprise.

Thanks!
2018-12-10 12:08 PM
in reply to: sjpatrick

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Lessons first.  

Swimming is mostly technique, so learn proper technique first, and you'll be surprised how quickly the yards accumulate.  

Also, there's a large difference between swimming laps in a pool and the open water swim of a triathlon.  

Is there a local tri-club that offers a chance to do open water swims?  

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi! Beginner looking for some advice Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

I'm Starting from zero, looking 4 help

Started by Lizy
Views: 744 Posts: 6

2019-01-04 2:45 PM orijitdhar

Hi and advice on IM tattoo

Started by Erickre60
Views: 438 Posts: 5

2018-09-19 9:07 PM bnsafe

Re-Beginner

Started by leatherneckpa
Views: 780 Posts: 6