Georgia Multisports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 41m 41s
Overall Rank = 124/521
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 24/74
Pre-race routine:

Went to bed at the Hilton Garden Inn thinking that I would never go to sleep and was immediately awakened at 4:30 am by the alarm clock. Went down to the lobby to meet with my TNT peeps, choked down some dry PB&J and caravaned to the race site some 20 miles away.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the race site at o'dark:30 and set up my transition area ... and then talked with friends from the North Atlanta Multi-sport Club, TNT alumni and our current team. Helped some of the folks set up their transition area and then walked to the water,
Swim
  • 32m 13s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swimming to me is a repeated effort at not drowning ... so any swim that gets you to the bike is successful. Had to battle negative thoughts up to the first turn buoy ("Damn, the course looks long ...", "How am I ever going to swim that far ...", "Wonder if the guy in the boat is still drunk from the night before and can get to me before I go under for the third time ...").

I knew the negative thoughts were stupid and beat them back as I settled into a groove during the long straight away. Ran into a dead fish - with my face (ugh!) - halfway through this segment, but other than that it was largely uneventfull.

I conscienciously rounded the buoys wide in order to avoid the cluster of people thinking that the extra yardage was better than having to fight my way through.

The swim in from the final turn buoy was longer than I thought ... and was made even longer than that due to some poor sighting into the sun. Swam through globs of people that just plain ran out of gas at the end and were struggling with the last few hunder yards.
What would you do differently?:

Train more. My stroke was inefficient, choppy and not at all resembling the smooth unified motion of TI.

Think I have to revert to remedial TI drills, something to think about during the off-season.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I really worked on lighting a fire under my ass in transition. While better than previous transitions, there is still another 45 seconds to shave off.

Not double check everything prior to unracking bike.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 26s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.22 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course starts out uphill and continues that way until mile 3 or so. The time trial start spread out the field so that were no real bottlenecks.

The course took you from the state park to the rural roads leading over the interstate to and through downtown Lavonia and then back.

If there was a a stretch longer than a two miles without a hill to contend with, then I don't remember it.

Train more on hills, focusing on hill repeats.

Pedal stroke felt clunky - especially from the bottom to just past the top. I used to feel the stroke more in my calves and need to get back into the habit of 'wiping pooh off my shoes' to negate the 6 o'clock dead zone.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Halved my T2 time ... not sure how others are able to do it quicker, but I envy them!

Go faster ... just not sure how?!
Run
  • 48m 5s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt dead getting off the bike ... the hills just thrashed my leg mucles. Took until mile 2 or so to get my stride.

Wanted to on several occasions, but did not walk the course other than 2 drink stations - and that was to ensure that I was able to drink the full amount.

Finished the run with a negative split - not because I was holding back on the first half, but because my legs felt som bad getting off the bike.

The last 1 miles was an all-out redline run. Zone 5 all the way with my heart thumping in my throat and lungs breathing fire.

More brick on a more consistent basis. There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to do at least a 15-20 minute run after each bike ride.
Post race
Warm down:

Legs started to sieze while at the TNT tent, so jogged out to find two of my Mentees that I was concerned about ... found each with a smile on their faces as they made their way to logging their first triathlon finishes

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sprint work ... I am stuck in the 7:30 to 8:00/mi range.

Event comments:

Another successful event by GA Multisports ... hope that they can alter the course enough to prevent the problems with the cyclist and runners, but other than that it was a very smoothly done race.

Last updated: 2006-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:13 | 1640 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 44/74
Overall: 0/521
Performance: Average
Rectangular course with a loooooooong stretch between turn buoy 1 and 2.
Suit: choice (but not many did)
Course: Waterline had receded a good bit, meaning that there were a good number of rocks to stub your toes and/or cut your foot on. Had to be ginger going into the start. Start was 3x3 Time Trial ... something I much prefer to mass or wave starts. It not only prevents the washing machine affect but also spreads out competitors throughout T1 and the bike course.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:26 | 26.1 miles | 20.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/74
HR was okay leaving T1 - mid to low 130's
Wind: Some
Course: HILLY ... including those long, gradual ascents that make your quads burn + just rob your endurance. The hills were such that, outside of a few, you never really noticed the downhills. That said, there were no 'killer hills' - nothing that deserved it's own name.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:48:05 | 06.2 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/74
HR was high coming out of T2 and had a difficult time getting to down to the 150's.
Course: The run course never leaved the park, but meanders through each and every knook and cranny to ensure that it incorporates every grade change possible. Due to the TT swim start which spaced everyone out, the run course was a semi-cluster ***. There was a significant stretch of shared road between runners going out, cyclist coming in/going out and runners finishing -- all on the same road. Heard of a couple mishaps due to the congestion of the four groups above, including one of our participants that was cut off by a runner (runners were told to yield to incoming cyclist when crossing a street). HILLY! There was not a single stretch of road that did not have some grade to it. Further the roads were slanted to one side or another for draining reasons, meaning that there was nothing flat - ever. The one hill everyone talked about was between mile 4 and 5 ... it went down forever, only taking forever to crest to the top. The good news is that the last mile is almost all down hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-09-18 1:02 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

2006-09-18 2:14 PM
in reply to: #544656

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

Congratulations Brian!  Hope there are no after effects from the Sushi on your swim....

Excellent run time.

Steve

2006-09-18 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Looks like you had a solid race. Your bike split beat mine by 19 seconds. Since I know the effort needed to post a time like that on a course like that, here is a well deserved congratulations! Your run looks solid too.
Get rid of those thoughts on the swim. I just listen to my breathing and the water churning and kind of disappear in that. You're strong enough to do any swim.
Great race!
2006-09-18 2:51 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congratulations on your race. I was standing just down from the TNT group near the finish line and I was impressed with all the TNT athletes... I could have done without having to smell the alcohol though.
2006-09-18 2:52 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.

A dead fish in your face? Nice. That's something else you could add to a list of what could happen during an OWS.

Your times on the swim, btw, are good. Spend the extra time you use beating yourself up over them to improve in the offseason. This is a lifestyle thing, and you, Lord willing, have years left to shave 10 seconds or so off your swim. You rocked this race, Brian! 

2006-09-18 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
Great race, Brian.  I would kill to be able to have 7:30 - 8min/mile splits.

2006-09-18 3:24 PM

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Great race on little training. Now imagine how well you are going to do when you are on a ridgid training plan.
2006-09-18 9:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Norcross, GA
Great race, Brian!  You are such a trooper going back and running w/ your mentees.  When I saw you running with Christie, I was a bit confused but now I understand!  The TNT tent was a little crazy but lots of fun with Carol Sharpless doing her crazy stunts, don't you think?

Edited by brilliantjoy 2006-09-18 9:51 PM
2006-09-19 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Nice job - sounds like you had a fun race! I think your swim was better than you are giving yourself credit for, especially with how much you fought pool time over the past few months! You are such a supportive guy, going back to check on your TNT teammates - I love reading stuff like that!

Great job!

2006-09-19 8:32 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed