General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming doubt Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-12-10 10:33 AM

Subject: Swimming doubt
Hi everybody!

So I've registered for my first sprint triathlon. I'm not worried at all about the running or biking portion (but will still train for them!), it's the swimming part.

I've never been a strong swimmer but see this tri as an opportunity to become a better swimmer. I got into a pool this past weekend to see where I'm at, and came out feeling pretty discouraged and wondering what the hell I've gotten myself into. I can backstroke no problem, but my freestyle needs work — breathing, balance, you name it. I DO plan to take adult swimming lessons to help me.

My question is: It is now Dec. 10. My sprint triathlon takes place July 21. With lessons and training, is it feasible for me to be able to continuously swim 750 metres within that time frame? I think yes, but it would be great to hear from others.

Thanks!

2018-12-10 11:17 AM
in reply to: tri-ingintoornto

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Swimming doubt
Is the swim indoor or outdoor?

Either way, you can totally do it. But if it's outdoor you will need to train outdoor several times before the race. Do not blow this off. I've seen someone drown in an open water sprint - good runner and cyclist but not so strong on the swim. Sound familiar?

Take lessons, swim regularly and build your endurance in the water. Don't worry about your speed, just focus on swimming non-stop as long as you can. (The distances between rests will get longer... build on that!) Remember, "slow is smooth and smooth is fast".

Frank
2018-12-10 11:24 AM
in reply to: Frank in St. Louis

Thank you!

The swim is outdoor, and oh yes, I will be getting into the lake to practise, too — in wet suit and all!
2018-12-10 12:49 PM

Not sure where you live but swimming indoors over the winter will be just fine to get you in "swim shape" but YES, definitely need to do open water swimming and preferably with other people swimming with you too as its a totally different animal. The biggest thing you need to OPEN WATER swim for is your direction....you wont have the big black line at bottom of pool to look at and keep you going in a straight line....that was the biggest thing for me in my first ever triathlon I did was how bad I drifted and I turned a 500yd swim into about a 650yd swim from swimming off course.
You also need to get used to contact with people in the water cause its GONNA happen!! you're gonna get a elbow here and foot there and people grabbing you. I think thats one of the hardest things to adjust too but once you get a few Triathlons under your belt....you get used to the contact with others
2018-12-10 2:01 PM

Years ago I signed up for a sprint triathlon. I signed up in December and the race was in June. I was a runner and decent on the bike but "real" swimming was pretty foreign to me. First time in the pool I made it one lap and thought I was going to die. However, I kept at it and eventually I was able to build up my endurance. Biggest mistake I made though was that I didn't sign up for lessons. At the time I was simply getting by with my fitness. Technique was awful and I was slow. Second mistake I made was that I never practiced in open water or in a wetsuit. The first time I wore a wetsuit (which was rented and didn't fit right) and swam in open water was at the race :-). However, I got through it just fine and I wasn't even last. I loved it so much I bought a wetsuit that actually fit me and took lessons. I'm still not speedy in the water but I can hold my own and I've successfully completed over 20 triathlons, including 4 full ironman races.

You are definitely on the right track and know what you need to do now. You will be just fine and you will seriously surprise yourself on race day. With lessons and consistency you will improve so much. The swim can be stressful but if you're prepared and place yourself correctly it can be very enjoyable and the easiest part of the day.
2018-12-10 5:00 PM
in reply to: #5252541

User image

Sounds like you're setting yourself up for a good first swim. Your first Tri don't worry about speed/placing/or anybody else, just focus on doing your thing at your pace. The only expectation you should have is to finish.

My advice for the swim is to remember & even practice flipping on your back if you run into problems. My first Tri, my goggles got knocked off and getting them back on I had a couple of seconds of panic and a few mouthfuls of water before I remembered. Not a bad idea to practice putting on & adjusting gear while in over your head.

2018-12-10 5:32 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by riles32807 Sounds like you're setting yourself up for a good first swim. Your first Tri don't worry about speed/placing/or anybody else, just focus on doing your thing at your pace.
 Agree on not worrying too much about speed. 

Agree on not worrying about placing.
Don't agree on worrying about those around you, especially in the water.  Those people can completely ruin your day if you aren't prepared.   

The only expectation you should have is to finish.
 Common but often wrong advice. 

There *IS* a race clock and your results (which will live in perpetuity on the internet) will depend on how fast you are.  

It's fair to have time/pace goals for each phase and for the overall race.  You've got time to achieve those goals and having goals that you're working towards is one way to assess progress between now and race day.  

Key is to keep achieving triathlon goals in proper perspective with YOUR other life goals.  

My advice for the swim is to remember & even practice flipping on your back if you run into problems. My first Tri, my goggles got knocked off and getting them back on I had a couple of seconds of panic and a few mouthfuls of water before I remembered. Not a bad idea to practice putting on & adjusting gear while in over your head.

2018-12-10 6:24 PM
in reply to: McFuzz

Thanks so much everyone for your words of encouragement and tips! Amazing!

I actually spoke to a swim coach today about lessons, and in one phone call she already impressed me with the information she had to offer on building endurance. Ex: Find a longer-length pool to swim in (a 50-metre one instead of 25 metres), to get used to the longer length.

Thanks again, everyone!
2018-12-10 7:17 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I did it!  You'll learn a lot swim wise, sometimes a swim coach may overwhelm you with info.  You have to be able to take a the info and apply it.  I once swam with a Masters group and the coach kept telling me my hand was swooping up and causing my legs to sink and to keep my hands flat.  I hand no idea what she was talking about or hw to correct it.  It wasn't until I saw this BT video (see 32min mark) that I understood she was talking about, balance, she couldn't convey that to me as a beginner novice swimmer.  After this video my swimming went to another level as I understood balance. I was so much more confident with my training and got faster to a point I was solid MOP in races, which was my goal so that my bike and run could make up for time without coming out of the water exhausted.

2018-12-10 10:41 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Dec - July........you will be fine.  Look, this is a simple deal.  You got it 100% correct getting a swim coach......and then just get in the pool 3-4 days per week, apply what you learned, and you'll be good to go.  Triathlon is not vodoo.....it's easy.

It's swim, bike, run.....you did it as a kid.

Don't get overwhelmed with BS......put in the time and you'll rock it.  So many folks will try to make you believe it's a really hard deal that  you'll start to believe it.  Don't.

Have fun, train, do your event.......you'll be fine, and then you can decide how crazy you want to get. (there is no end to the madness   )

Edited by Left Brain 2018-12-10 10:42 PM
2018-12-11 8:34 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

Thank you, Pro, I love what you said!

My first lesson with a swim coach is next Tuesday!

2018-12-11 11:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
If you make a plan and stick to it, should be no problem.

I had no idea what I was doing in my first sprint 14 years ago. Didn't take any lessons. Sort of trained. Thought I would get it done no problem.

Ended up sidestroke, dog paddle, breast stroke... even thought about swimming to shore during the 500 yards.

Made it and wasn't dead last out of the water!

Just stay true to your plan to get lessons.
2018-12-11 1:13 PM
in reply to: #5252541

User image

I had the same experience as TriJayhawkRyan last year in my first sprint. Did two swims in my neighbors pool prior to race day. I was on my back at the 0.10 marker. I used every swim stroke I could come up with just to make it to the last buoy. Had a good ride and great run and enjoyed myself overall.

That was in June. In September I completed the Augusta 70.3 and had a good swim. I swam open water twice a week with a focus on form. I was surprised how quickly I improved, though it is still my weakest discipline.

Good luck!

2018-12-11 2:00 PM

User image

Franklin, TN

You should have no problem with the distance.  Get the lessons and work on technique with short intervals...anything from 25-100 yards/meters. 

You don't need to do long continuous swims...what form you have will break down over longer distances.  That's true for everyone but especially for those new to the sport.  It's better to practice good technique on shorter intervals.  When you get closer to your race I would suggest a set of 5x200 at race pace with 10 secs rest.  If you can nail that you're good to go.

Btw, It would help accelerate your learning curve if you could join a masters group. 

2018-12-14 1:19 PM
in reply to: JoelO

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Didnt have time to read all the comments here but will give you my advice:

1. You have plenty of time and winter is a great time to strengthen swimming.

2. You've already done the best thing a new swimmer can do (IMO) and that's get some lessons. Once you learn decent technique and how to breathe, you're going to be golden.

3. Not sure your location, but find out if the swim is wetsuit legal. Wetsuit adds a ton of buoyancy (IMO) and I think you'll find it much easier to swim in open water with one. However, if there's even a chance that the water will be too warm for wetsuit, you're going to want to get plenty of OWS without a wetsuit.

4. Get yourself one of these for open water... https://www.xterrawetsuits.com/collections/google-special/products/x...

5. If you're really worried, check this out. Although I dont think you'll need it once you take a few lessons and get practice in... https://www.amazon.com/Swim-safety-triathlon-swimming-training/dp/B0...

6. If you dont already have a wetsuit, I may have one I can give you. Let me know your height/weight.

Hope your training goes well.

2018-12-14 1:38 PM

Congrats on signing up! You'll definitely be fine; just make an effort to get into the pool 2 - 3 times a week (or more) to get comfortable in the water. I did a HIM this past July as my first tri and back in January I didn't know how to swim at all. By April I had an OK technique and decent endurance, by July I was totally ready. If you can afford it, get a swim coach or join a swimming group as it will help get you into the pool to start and they will help hold you accountable. I couldn't have done it without my swim coach though to be honest.

As everyone else said, getting in the lake is very important too as it's much different than swimming in a pool.

Congrats again on registering and best of luck on your journey, you'll do awesome!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming doubt Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Swimming Technique Tips for Triathlon Swims - Reposted from Articles

Started by k9car363
Views: 1304 Posts: 2

2018-04-29 1:38 PM tazrocky

Best places to swim, bike, and run in Detroit/Ann Arbor area

Started by michgirlsk
Views: 2866 Posts: 7

2018-07-06 11:15 PM sharpfork

Right hand pinkie gets numb while swimming