General Discussion Race Reports! » 7th Annual Danforth BTC Fall Frolic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

7th Annual Danforth BTC Fall Frolic - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Barker, NY, New York
United States
Score-This
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 59s
Overall Rank = 73/103
Age Group = Male 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 100/12
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 a.m. Ate 1 bagel, 1 Ensure and 1 banana. Hit the road with one cup of coffee to pickup my Dad for the 1 hr 25 min drive North to the Lake for the event.
Event warmup:

None. By the time I got to the event, signed up for my one day USAT license, hit the john several times and set up my transition area the pre-race meeting was starting. Next thing I know it it was time to put on the wetsuit and get ready. I swam a little in the lake but other than that there was no warmup.
Swim
  • 14m 36s
  • 437 yards
  • 03m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

The conditions were perfect for my first OWS experience. I wasn't prepared for the cold water which threw off my breathing a bit. I know this was my limiter for the race and I actually swam right on target to what I had experienced in training. I am proud that I wasn't any slower in the OW as compared to the pool.
What would you do differently?:

Practice more OWS prior to the event. I had no idea what to expect.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

The transition area was a "MUD BOWL". It must have rained the night before because it was a sloppy, mucky mess. I didn't practice keeping my shoes on the pedals and mounting/strapping in during the ride. I didn't run in the transition area because of the mud. I would have went down if I had.

Practice transitions at home. I also want to learn how to leave my shoes attached to the pedals and then strap in while riding.
Bike
  • 45m 4s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.55 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike ride was my favorite part of the race. There was some slight lactic acid in my quads but I tried to keep it in a gear were I know my cadence was 90 - 100. I think I did well considering I used my Trek mountain bike (hard tail no front suspension) with slicks on it. My avg speed was what I experienced in my training rides. The bike is not the most aero nor light but it got the job done for my first tri. My goal is to get a tri bike next spring so I hope that next year wil be different.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

I took extra time to put on socks. My feet were wet and muddy from all of the mud so I tried to towel off as much as possible and put on some socks. I tried running barefoot in a training run a month ago and ended up with blisters so I needed the socks.

Nothing.
Run
  • 27m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the first race I did were I didn't wear a watch. My goal for the event was to enjoy it and not worry about time. I ran at a pace that I felt was comfortable. I tried to keep a high cadence for the entire run. My legs really didn't feel too bad, even coming off the bike. I just kept a steady pace and eventually passed several people in the last half mile. Two of the guys were in my age group so I was proud of that.

More mileage in base training so I can work on some speed for next time.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm-down consisted of trying to find something to drink. The race organizers did a poor job of making it obvious that there was bottled water in a barrel to the left of the finish way past the finish chute. Especially when they had food set up to the right. What racer wouldn't expect to find water where the food was?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming and biking. Swimming is my #1 limiter with biking #2. My goal is to put in a lot of time in the saddle over the winter. I bought a fluid trainer and I have the treadmill. I also will put in a lot of time swimming. At least 4 days per week to work on my technique and endurance. I could really benefit from a coach but trying to schedule that without cutting out family time doesn't seem realistic.

Last updated: 2006-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:36 | 437 yards | 03m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/12
Overall: 94/103
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vector 2
Course: Rectangular counterclockwise course. 150 meters to the first turn, then 100 meters to the last turn, 150 meters back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:04 | 12.43 miles | 16.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 608/103
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: The course was flat with no hills really to speak of. It was an out and back on country roads with no traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:09 | 03.11 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/12
Overall: 58/103
Performance: Good
Course: Two turnaround points on country roads. There was no traffic. The beginning of the run was on a wooded trail that opened up to an asphalt road for the out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes