Other Resources The Political Joe » Even you can have a period and PMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-12-17 1:39 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
Subject: Even you can have a period and PMS
https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2018/12/16/schools-eight-year-olds-...

"Under the subheading ‘key messages’, teachers are told to stress to pupils that “trans boys and men and non-binary people may have periods” as well as that “periods are something to celebrate and we can see this in ceremonies and celebrations across the world”."

Things I never knew.

1. Periods are something to celebrate. 30+ years of marriage and I never once saw my wife celebrating her period. Had I known when she started I would have got some balloons and some cake!

2. Evidently if you go "all in" on the conversion you can get a uterus transplant. I guess you'd need ovaries too for the uterus to be fully functional.

3. (from different article on same topic) Some men experience what’s known as male PMS – also called Irritable Male Syndrome (IMS).

I work with some people who must have IMS....I always thought maybe it was IBS but maybe it's just hormones?

Why is school teaching 8 yo children about periods? Girls usually start menstruating about 12 so 8 seems a bit young. What if you are a boy and don't have a period? Won't you feel deprived? You don't have anything to 'celebrate' every month! Can you still use a mini-pad* as kinda of a participation trophy?

Editor's Note: This forum has been on life support for a couple of weeks and almost comatose. This post is my TIC defibrillator.

* I read one time that the little person (formerly a midget) who played on "Fantasy Island" bought a bunch of condos in FL and had all the doors and cabinets lowered and let his little person friends stay there free. He named the place, "Stay Free Mini Pads"

2018-12-17 2:00 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Even you can have a period and PMS

More dumbness from the left.....it's amazing any of us grew to be happy, productive people without these "experts" around to explain it all.  LMAO

2018-12-18 6:05 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Bronze member

I teach 2nd grade (8 year olds). No way I'm teaching any of them about periods! Having dealt with periods as many years as I have I can tell you there isn't one darn thing to celebrate. Yes let's celebrate the screaming migraine headache I get to deal with 4 days out of every month for the last 33 years. Awesome. 

Who are these people who come up with this stuff?! 

2018-12-18 7:44 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by trigal38

I teach 2nd grade (8 year olds). No way I'm teaching any of them about periods! Having dealt with periods as many years as I have I can tell you there isn't one darn thing to celebrate. Yes let's celebrate the screaming migraine headache I get to deal with 4 days out of every month for the last 33 years. Awesome. 

Who are these people who come up with this stuff?! 

When I was in the 2nd grade I went to a Catholic school taught mostly by nuns. It's been 48 years but I still remember one of the nuns telling up the Christmas story. When it came time for the baby to arrive one of the girls asked "Where did the baby come from?" The nun said something to the effect that it miraculously 'appeared' in the manger! We were all wide-eyed and slack-jawed but since she was a nun, she would know about these things so we believed it. If you are going to have an immaculate conception you might as well have a miraculous delivery. Imagine the horror we be struck with if she tried to describe labor, dilation and delivery. She was fortunate to have the 'divine delivery' answer to fall back on.

I can only imagine the questions that would be asked by 8 year olds if someone tried to teach them about menstruation. Talk about opening a can of worms....
2018-12-18 4:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I recommend you read the actual document, linked from the article, that explains the program's goals.  

Link: https://phantom.brighton-hove.gov.uk/Published/C00000968/M00009226/AI00070290/$20181122094318_018166_0061256_Counteringperiodpovertyreport.docxA.ps.pdf

The education is meant to be age appropriate and the point is to destigmatize periods and made period products available to the children who need them. Frankly I think this program should admired and not mocked.    

If you were never a young girl trying to hide period blood on your jeans at school you can't possibly understand how bad it can feel.  It must be even worse for a younger-than-average child to get their period, or a child who isn't living their life as a traditional girl (and using the boys bathroom in some cases).    

And P.S. There are societies that celebrate periods.   For many, fertility is worth celebrating.     (And I personally hate my period and wish it would go away, but that doesn't change this fact.)

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2018-12-18 4:44 PM
2018-12-18 5:24 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

I recommend you read the actual document, linked from the article, that explains the program's goals.  

Link: https://phantom.brighton-hove.gov.uk/Published/C00000968/M00009226/AI00070290/$20181122094318_018166_0061256_Counteringperiodpovertyreport.docxA.ps.pdf

The education is meant to be age appropriate and the point is to destigmatize periods and made period products available to the children who need them. Frankly I think this program should admired and not mocked.    

If you were never a young girl trying to hide period blood on your jeans at school you can't possibly understand how bad it can feel.  It must be even worse for a younger-than-average child to get their period, or a child who isn't living their life as a traditional girl (and using the boys bathroom in some cases).    

And P.S. There are societies that celebrate periods.   For many, fertility is worth celebrating.     (And I personally hate my period and wish it would go away, but that doesn't change this fact.)

3rd grade 8 yo olds is my issue.

2018-12-18 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Elementary Teacher here--kids, particularly girls are hitting puberty earlier and earlier; no one seems to know exactly why--nutrition changes, greater childhood obesity, hormones in food products, social stress? I've taught Grades 4-6 for most of my career (20+ years). It's really common now for girls (and a few boys) to start "developing" as early as 9, which is end of 3rd grade, beginning of 4th for most. There are almost always a few 5th graders who are already getting periods at the beginning of the school year. By the end of fifth grade, several girls in my class usually have them, and a few boys are showing clear signs of puberty as well. So there does need to be some education in Grades 4-5 about puberty, periods, and how to handle them in a physically and mentally healthy way.

The degree of detail that the opposite gender needs is open to debate; that girls need to know about periods from some responsible adult (teacher, health professional, parent) before they begin, really shouldn't be. Not all parents will have "the talk" before it happens--depends on culture. In Asia at least, most parents recall hitting puberty several years older than their kids do now--probably linked to changes in nutrition.

Eight is a little young for anything really detailed--I agree. But I'd hope that at least parents or the school nurse would be comfortable handing those subjects as needed with early developing kids. Hard to make a blanket call--it's very normal for the kids within a class to vary by 3-4 years in terms of physically and emotional maturity. If you look at a class of "normal" third graders, some will appear as young as 6, others as old as 10 in terms of their physical development (height, weight, strength, teeth, closeness to puberty). Ditto for emotional maturity as well, and other things like attention span, abstract thinking, etc.

In all the schools I've ever taught in, parents are notified before "puberty" instruction begins, we make the curriculum available for them to see, and they can ask that their child sit out the entire series or specific lessons if they aren't comfortable with the content or how it will be presented. I also encourage parents to write or talk with me about any concerns.

We haven't dealt specifically with gay/trans issues in relation to menstruation at any school (private or public) that I've taught at, nor is that in a typical curriculum. Kids do ask questions about gay/trans issues sometimes and I'd try to answer in a way that's developmentally appropriate (not detailed at all for that age, basically along the lines of "Yes, there are some people like that.") , but it's never come up in relation to menstruation. We do discuss that boys have hormones too, these change at puberty, both men and women have natural cycles and changes with regards to hormones. That's about it.

True--there are some cultures that celebrate menstruation, including some Native American ones. Others have a lot of taboos about it. Some classes may have kids from those backgrounds. Again, not a focus on instruction, but if it came up in class discussion, I would try to handle it as appropriate, basically just stressing that while cultures might vary, it's a normal part of life and growing up, not an illness or "curse".

Edited by Hot Runner 2018-12-18 8:44 PM
2018-12-18 8:45 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pro

"Brighton & Hove City Council, in the south of England, has been something of a trailblazer with regards to introducing “progressive” policies, having started quizzing four-year-old infants about their “gender identity” back in 2016."

Yeah.....no.

After reading that, I quit paying attention to anything even remotely related to Brighton & Hove.

I'm sure the left has a name for me because of that.  I don't care.

2018-12-18 8:49 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
My guess is you probably wouldn't want to move to that community, nor send your kids to school there, in the first place! Maybe that is "normal" for that particular neck of the woods.
2018-12-18 9:02 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Hot Runner My guess is you probably wouldn't want to move to that community, nor send your kids to school there, in the first place! Maybe that is "normal" for that particular neck of the woods.

Yep.

And that's the problem from my view....that community will soon want it's "normal" to become normal in every community.  Eventually they will disparage all who don't agree with them as they seek to make their "normal" the normal for my family......I even saw where they recommend calling social services on parents who don't encourage their children who claim to be transgender.  Again, that's what they do.

I'm perfectly fine with them in their own community......we used to call those communes.  I was fine with that too.  I don't care what they believe and I'm content to live and let live.... But that's never enough.

So, nope.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-12-18 9:03 PM
2018-12-19 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

So... it's ok for you (LeftBrain, Rogillio) to think what you want to think - but not ok for others to think what they want to think?  And if someone thinks differently from you they should move to another community?  Why do they have to move?

I just want to be totally clear on this point. 

2018-12-19 9:15 AM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I've read the guidelines a few times through now.  There is no part that suggests men have any sort of "period."  They are saying that trans men and boys have periods - meaning that humans with female reproductive parts, but identifying as boys or men, will have periods.  Of course this is logical if you know how reproductive parts work, but might be confusing to see a "boy" who needs period products.

Also, there seems to be a confusion that this city is asking parents to question "4 year old infants" (which is just a silly way to describe a 4-year-old) if they are trans.  They are offering resources to parents whose children ARE questioning their gender.

My beef here is falling prey to a method of journalism that contorts actual facts, and then basing opinions on that.  I am not arguing whether you, as individuals, should accept this policy.  But that you make the effort to actually read and understand it before passing judgment.

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2018-12-19 9:16 AM
2018-12-19 9:37 AM

User image

Pro

So... it's ok for you (LeftBrain, Rogillio) to think what you want to think - but not ok for others to think what they want to think?  And if someone thinks differently from you they should move to another community?  Why do they have to move?

Hell no....where did I say that?  My problem is people who don't accept that others don't think like they do as they try to push their belief's on others and disparage people who don't think like they do.  I don't live around people who don't have my general belief and value system....and if people who don't share my values move into my community I will happily leave and find a place where I can live comfortably.  I don't need to live in any community where values don't line up with my own, or my family's, and I won't.

There is no amount of name calling or belligerence that can cause me to line up with people that I don't agree with in regard to basic values.  It rolls off me like water off a duck's back.  But nobody will push their beliefs on me or cause me to shrink from my own.  Like I said....I'm good with live and let live, believe whatever you want....just don't expect me to follow blindly along because you think I should, or because you think your way is the right way. 

I despise most progressive values because, as I said, it's not enough that I will just let you be and cause you no harm (not you personally, of course, I don't know your politics and I don't care)....you will not be happy until you have destroyed ALL of the values I hold dear and live by.  That's not going to happen.

Edited by Left Brain 2018-12-19 9:41 AM
2018-12-19 9:39 AM

User image

Pro

I've read the guidelines a few times through now.  There is no part that suggests men have any sort of "period."  They are saying that trans men and boys have periods - meaning that humans with female reproductive parts, but identifying as boys or men, will have periods.  Of course this is logical if you know how reproductive parts work, but might be confusing to see a "boy" who needs period products.

Also, there seems to be a confusion that this city is asking parents to question "4 year old infants" (which is just a silly way to describe a 4-year-old) if they are trans.  They are offering resources to parents whose children ARE questioning their gender.

My beef here is falling prey to a method of journalism that contorts actual facts, and then basing opinions on that.  I am not arguing whether you, as individuals, should accept this policy.  But that you make the effort to actually read and understand it before passing judgment.

Funny....I get most of my news from CNN and would never look at a site like breitbart, or whatever it's called.  I understand the issues just fine, thanks.

2018-12-19 9:51 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I don't want anyone to move anywhere. I am a live and let live person. I don't cram my values down anyone's throat and expect the same from other people. I don't get offended and expect other people not to take offense when no was intended.

Earlier posted said I 'mocked' the story. OK. So what? I find humor in almost everything. Sometimes it gets me in trouble. One time a friend of mine told me about how his dad was in a job interview and had a heart attack during the interview and died right there. The thought came to me, "I guess he didn't get the job!" I nearly bit a hole in my lip to keep from laughing at my warped sense of humor. I can't help it, I am who I am.

BTW, my wife and I have been married for 31 years and the secret to our marital success is that we both quit trying to control and/or change each other. Once we learned to accept that we were different people and were never going to change, we got along so much better. She is going to live her life according to HER values and I'm going to live by MY values. I think liberals and conservative need to learn this and quit trying to change each other to their paradigms and values.

OK, on a ramble here but things are slow at work so I will ramble on....

Take a far left liberal and far right conservative and compare and contrast them. You would find there are 100x more things they have in common than differences. Fare left James Carville and right wing Mary Matalin and Carville have been married for years. They do not talk politics at home. Excellent! Great policy. If you want to debate someone, go to some internet political forum and debate with people you know have to live with!

2018-12-19 10:00 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

But that you make the effort to actually read and understand it before passing judgment.

What's the fun in that? ;-) Humor is often found on the face-value of things not in the details. I could read and research and get the backstory and interview people.....but I don't really care because it is not something within my sphere of influence.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Even you can have a period and PMS Rss Feed