BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2019-12-17 9:57 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN
I know this group is geared toward the masters age group but I would like some quick tips from seasonal and experienced tri athletes. If there is a separate forum you might think would be better for me let me know, but I hope you guys can give me some feedback!

My name is Drew, I am 26years of age and I am a chiropractor. I plan on doing my first Olympic triathlon in May. This is my first triathlon ever. 5”10- 210lb

Current training: I have been doing CrossFit for the past 3 years and other activities such as biking, running, and swimming off and on as an alternative / active recovery workout. I am now going to focus on triathlon training. I love to challenge myself and believe this is long to be a great change for my body and well being. I recently switched over to swimming 3 days a week, biking 3, running 3, and Olympic weight lifting 2-3 days. I have found some training programs online that I’m getting ideas from but most days I’m just doing what my body feels good performing.

What are some thing you wish you did when starting out and what would you do differently?

What things are the hardest part of your first race?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

2019-12-18 3:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Dsneeringer I know this group is geared toward the masters age group but I would like some quick tips from seasonal and experienced tri athletes. If there is a separate forum you might think would be better for me let me know, but I hope you guys can give me some feedback! My name is Drew, I am 26years of age and I am a chiropractor. I plan on doing my first Olympic triathlon in May. This is my first triathlon ever. 5”10- 210lb Current training: I have been doing CrossFit for the past 3 years and other activities such as biking, running, and swimming off and on as an alternative / active recovery workout. I am now going to focus on triathlon training. I love to challenge myself and believe this is long to be a great change for my body and well being. I recently switched over to swimming 3 days a week, biking 3, running 3, and Olympic weight lifting 2-3 days. I have found some training programs online that I’m getting ideas from but most days I’m just doing what my body feels good performing. What are some thing you wish you did when starting out and what would you do differently? What things are the hardest part of your first race? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi Drew,

Yes, the Group title says 'Gray Guys/Gals'' but we've always really been open to anyone.  We just focus on "gray" issues occasionally.

First, welcome to Beginner Triathlete and this crazy world of triathlon!

My two "strongest" pieces of advice -

1) Find a plan and stick to it.  Doing what feels good on any given day will leave you undertrained in one or more of the disciplines.  I've seen that mistake time and time again over the years.  There are any number of Olympic plans here on BT, some free, some paid, and there are also plans available by simply searching "Olympic Triathlon Training Plan" in Google, which it sounds like you may have already done.  I'd look for a plan that is geared towards a beginner or intermediate level.  Given you have been training for a couple of years you will likely be ok with an intermediate level plan.  If it's too challenging at first, drop down to a beginner plan until your base fitness level is a bit stronger.

2) Find a qualified swim instructor or coach and take some swimming lessons.  Make sure you are given instruction in the fundamentals of swimming as those fundamentals lie at the root of most age-group triathlete's problems in the water.  Swimming is highly technical.  That means proper technique is extrememly important.  Yes, you can find countless instructional videos with another simple Google search but there is absolutely no replacement for eyes on deck and having instant feedback.  Taking a series of lessons will, in all likelyhood, quickly elevate you to the middle, front middle of the the pack coming out of the water.  More importantly, because you'd be swimming with proper form, you'd be much more likely to remain aerobic which will be a HUGE advantage.

Beyond that, consistent training will pay more dividends than any particular volume or intensity.  Most importantly - HAVE FUN!

The current mentor groups are just about to wind down and be replaced by the 2020 groups so keep an eye out for when the new groups launch.

Again, welcome!

2019-12-22 8:13 AM

Scott,

Thank you for the feedback. I already caught myself picking workouts that “felt good” compared to what I needed to do that day during the last two weeks.. That habit has been kicked out the window already, thank you.

Drew S
2019-12-23 9:11 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
This is our annual public service announcement! :-)

Your mentor thread will be moved the Archive at the end of the month.

Mentors are invited to start a new thread for 2020 in the Staging Area. Thank you! Happy Holidays from BT!
2019-12-26 4:19 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Gray Guys/Gals Coming to an End

Hey Gray Guys/Gals - it's just about that time of year when the new mentor groups will be starting up.  I am not going to be restarting Gray 
Guys/Gals in the 2020 season.  Between the decline in users and other pressing committments, I just need a break for a year.  I'm pretty sure I'll hang out in one of the other groups to get my "online fix" but not sure which one yet.  Perhaps in 2021 I'll revive Gray Guys/Gals.  It's been a great run, thanks everyone that's come along for the ride and been part of the group over the years.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 924 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa