BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2018-12-29 7:21 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN

NAME: k9car363 (BT screen name) – Scott Kubinski 

GROUP FOCUS: “The Maturing Athlete.”

THE MATURING ATHLETE – It happens to all of us – we get older.  The big challenge is most training programs are suited to the type of training levels/recovery we could sustain in our 20's, 30's and 40's. It's just not the same once you cross that magical age 50+ line. While the competitive fire burns bright, times get slower, the legs often feel heavier, weight inevitably creeps up and recovery times are longer. When you think about it, there are a LOT of individual coaching questions there that can easily be turned into general coaching questions.  The focus of this forum is helping the over-50 athlete get to the start and cross the finish line feeling like a champion regardless of experience in triathlon or the distance of your event. 

Often times these mentor groups simply become an excuse for a pseudo Facebook social page.  While we enjoy the social interaction, that isn't our primary motive or goal. We want this group to be a true mentor group - to answer questions you may have and to help motivate you to excellence.

This forum will be co-mentored by Steve and Scott.

STORY: I swam competitively from age 11 through high school and college.  I was also as a member of a club swim team. I was an elite swimmer during the 70’s and early 80’s and fortunate to have enjoyed success on both a National and International level.  When I hung up my competitive Speedo 1982 I began coaching age-group swimmers then began helping Triathletes improve their generally poor swimming ability.  Over the years that gradually morphed into Triathlon coaching.  I’ve merged 50+ years of swimming experience, 30+ years of Triathlon experience and a formal education with a degree in Cellular Biology and a minor course of study in Exercise Physiology.

FAMILY STATUS: Very happily married 32 years with one daughter and two sons, all grown. We also have 7 Grandkids and had we known they were so much fun we would have had them first! 

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently not training.  I’ve had my share of medical problems the past few years.  I’ve finally been cleared to return to a full training schedule and hope to do so in the New Year.

WEIGHT-LOSS: I think we all battle with this.  Not training regularly for a couple of years has added to by belt size so losing 20-30 pounds is on the agenda this year.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I’m the head coach at BSC Multisport as well as here at Beginner Triathlete.  Coaching is my passion and my chosen career.  Talking at length about triathlon is simply an extension of that passion.

I trained for over a decade under a man who is arguably the greatest swimming coach that has ever walked a pool deck. I learned from the best how to motivate and inspire.  I didn’t learn it from a book, I help write the book.  I was there when strength work first began to appear in swimming. I was there when paddles were developed (actually they were first patented by my swim coach).   I was one of the scientific guinea pigs that proved you don’t literally have to do “vomit” sets to improve.  I was being taught about periodization in training long before it was commonly accepted.  I competed at the highest level and understand the mental side of competition and how important it is to success. 

Finally, I love helping others and passing along my experience and knowledge.  Nothing makes me happier than helping fellow Triathletes experience an “Ah-Ha” moment. 

2019-01-02 6:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN
NAME: lutzman (BT screen name) / Steve Lutz

STORY: I'm a distance runner who jumped into multi-sport in 2010. Since getting started, I've completed 41 triathlons and duathlons, nearly all at the Olympic distance or shorter. Along the way I've earned USA Triathlon Age Group All American Honors in both Triathlon and Duathlon while also qualifying for TEAM USA to compete at the Age Group World Championships. Injuries, asthma and too much travel for work have slowed me down as a Master, but I still enjoy training and the thrill of competition.

EXPERIENCE: USA Triathlon Level One certified coach. Like Scott, I’ve been a co-mentor on BT for several years. I’ve had the opportunity to help many aspiring triathletes improve their individual performance as well their overall enjoyment of the sport.

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married 37 years with three sons, all grown.

CURRENT TRAINING: Now that we're into 2019, I will begin ramping up my training, probably averaging in the range of 8-9 hours per week. I'll have a run/bike focus through March, gradually adding pool time as we get into spring.

2018 PLANNED RACES: April--Duathlon National Championships. May--OnionMan Olympic Distance Tri. June--Moses Lake Olympic Distance Tri. July--ChelanMan Olympic Distance Tri. August—USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships.

WEIGHTLOSS: Working to drop 15 pounds in 2019 to hit ideal race weight.

WHAT MAKES ME A GOOD MENTOR: I’ve got over 40 years competitive running experience, competing in dozens of road races including the Boston Marathon three times and now 40+ triathlons/duathlons. I’ve experienced nearly everything you can imagine while training and racing. I’ve enjoyed the highs of winning my age group and the lows of crashing out in a race and being delivered by ambulance to the ER. I can’t say I’ve seen it all, but I’ve certainly seen a lot! Most of all, I’m a student of the sport and love giving back by helping fellow athletes. Let me know if I can help or answer your questions.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2019-01-02 6:36 PM
2019-01-08 1:07 PM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hi gents.  It has been a long time since posting on here, but another year rolls around and I've done much better with training through the winter thus far.  I'd like to joint the group as this one absolutely fits my need the best!

NAME:  Dorm

STORY: I as a 62 YO retired athlete and have participated in many Sprint level Triathlons over the years.  I enjoy cycling and while likely not considered an avid rider, I very much enjoy it.  I've been retired for 4 years now and have come to realize that I simply have too many hobbies.  I enjoy skiing, golf, being a musician, cycling, woodworking and training.  Absolutely too many hobbies!!  I am working this year to prioritize these, and accept the results one gets when a sport moves into the background - particularly golf.  I enjoy golf, but to maintain skill requires soooo much time that I must grow to accept that with less play and practice comes poorer play.

I started participating in triathlons in 2011 and have been hooked since.  I compete against myself as it seems my age group and size (Clyde) is a very competitive slot.  I am truly amazed at the level of athletes out here, especially at my age group; the energy and vitality these have and what a privilege it is to have the good health and strength to participate in these.

FAMILY STATUS: Very happily married 42 years with three daughters and 6 grandchildren.  We've had so much fun with the grandkids; watching these grow, their energy ... it's a privilege to have these.  My daughters and sons-in-law have competed in several triathlons with me, and the Grand Fondo I completed in 2016.

CURRENT TRAINING: Currently training 4-6 hours per week.  This will ramp up some as the weather warms.

2019 PLANNED RACES: March ’19 – NC, Azalea Sprint, May '19 - Va, Mountains of Misery Grand Fondo, June '19 - NC, Three Little Pigs Triathlon, other ... TBD

WEIGHT LOSS: I'm constantly waging this battle, but have taken additional steps since November, 2018 to enlist a Sports Doctor's help with diet regimen, exercise and other measures to support my goal. 

I have been in this 'group' for several years now; hugely appreciate the mentors advice and their experience; and the overall encouragement this group brings. I look forward to 2019 participating with this group.

Ciao ... Dorm

2019-01-09 3:49 PM
in reply to: Dorm57

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hey Dorm,

Welcome back!  It may just be you, Steve, and I but that's OK.  Traffic on BT has been falling off of late but we'll make the best of it.

Reading your comments about golf made me kind of chuckle.  There comes a point in every grown man's life when he realizes he isn't going to be a professional golfer.  My epiphany came on the seventh hole at Pebble Beach.  We'd planned and saved for the trip for over a year.  I was a 6-handicap at the time.  I fully expected to lose some balls and had 2 new boxes with me when we teed off on the first tee - that was 24 balls.  Let's just leave it at I was glad I had two boxes after the seventh.

Glad to have you back.

2019-01-10 10:36 AM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Great to hear from you Scott and glad to be back.  I think golf is my biggest frustration ... of late mainly finding a set of clubs that work for me.  I had my bag - clubs and all - stolen out of my truck a couple years back and since then I've struggled to find irons.  My irons then were an older set of Callaway forged irons, that I could do anything I wanted to with 'em, and I can't get comfortable with anything since.  I've not played Pebble, but did play Spanish Bay a couple of years back and what an absolutely beautiful course.  And so I think I will put less effort into golf and it is a huge time vacuum and requires so much time to maintain skill. 

My goals for 2019 are to:

• Get the skiing behind me and come away uninjured ... starting this Saturday for 3-weeks
  • Lose min of 25 lbs
  • Get my swim time to below 2:00/100m
  • Get my run pace to below a 12' mile
  • Repeat a Grand Fondo again, from a couple of years back, with a much improved time

So perhaps you can guide me with some drills to build strength first and then speed with the swim and run.  I've put a lot more effort into running with current training ... running slower, and longer - but not getting any faster.  And it's mostly the same story with swimming too.  I can likely get in some treadmill time while skiing, IF I have the energy. 

And so this is another start to a year - glad to hear from you and look forward to your help throughout 2019.

Ciao ... Dorm

2019-01-10 4:50 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
I'm back. I signed in last year but life got in the way and I fizzled out quickly. I'll see if I can actually get some training in and maybe check in a little more often this year.

Name: Dwayne. I'll turn 62 later this year.

Story: I didn't do any organized sports when I was young. I sort of learned to swim, literally by myself, in lakes and rivers but just stuff like splashing out to a raft. Fast forward to my mid forties when I started trying to learn to run. I was also sometimes commuting a short distance to work on a mountain bike. Like many, I soon injured myself running and while recovering decided to learn what it was like to swim in a pool with lanes. About that time I signed up for a "super-sprint" triathon with a 200m pool swim, though I was not yet able to swim that far. I kept saying I had no interest in going long, but little by little the events stretched longer. I did IM Canada in Penticton in '08 and '09, though both times complications prevented proper preparation. I liked the half-IM distance and managed a sub-5:30 in '09 before injuring myself by running too hard too soon afterward.

Family Status: I was married for 23 years but my wife struggled with health issues and we never had children. She passed away almost 8 years ago now.

Current Training: Not enough to count. I was on a stationary bike today and discovered a short time ago that my old biking shoes don't fit any more. I guess I should have expected I'd have to replace or upgrade some equipment. Running shoes are still current. I used to take regular yoga classes but, along with the training, let that slip the last few years though I do some daily stretching at home. I just recently signed up for the yoga class again, through to April.

Weight: Still hovering around 240 to 245. However, even with age, I'm still 6'2" and the weight is not distributed too badly. In the midst of IM training I was down to low 190s but at that weight people started asking if I was sick. I suppose I'd like to lose 20 lbs or so but I've never paid much attention to diet beyond maybe passing on second helpings. I copied that from last year. /*sigh*/

They say a goal without a plan is just a wish. I've never been much good at planning but I suppose that should be a first step. Hmm...

2019-01-11 3:40 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Hey Dorm,

Welcome back!  It may just be you, Steve, and I but that's OK.  Traffic on BT has been falling off of late but we'll make the best of it.

Reading your comments about golf made me kind of chuckle.  I fully expected to lose some balls and had 2 new boxes with me when we teed off on the first tee - that was 24 balls.  Let's just leave it at I was glad I had two boxes after the seventh.

Glad to have you back.

Welcome back, Dorm!

Scott--I have my own Pebble golf story. I was never close to a six, but I was down there a few years back golfing on the company dime. We were golfing Spyglass rather than Pebble. Since I don't play often, I'm spraying the ball all over off the tee. Like you, I was a bit worried because I was renting clubs and I only started the first hole with 6 balls (I'm an optimist). So naturally, if I blasted an errant shot I was fairly motivated to head out into the rough or the trees to see if I could locate my ball.

What a bonanza! On my first trip into the trees besides my ball I found three more absolutely perfect, brand new Pro V1's. Ditto on the next trip into the trees. On one hole I found 11 balls--nearly all top end Pro V1's with corporate logos. They were just sitting around in the open like somebody had scattered them around for a golfer's Easter Egg ball hunt. It was amazing. Usually you have to look at least a little to find an estranged ball. Not there! I could hardly walk back to the fairway because every pocket was stuffed with balls. As I recall, I started the round with 6 balls and finished with 37.

I concluded that those who can truly pursue corporate golf at Pebble don't give a crap about searching for a ball smacked off the fairway. They just forget it, shake out another new Pro V1 and hit again.

Reminds me of the old joke about the guy opening up new balls on the first tee and then prompting smacking one after next into the water. Finally after his third brand new ball lost in the water his golf partner says, "Geez man, why don't you try using an old ball,". The guy responds, "I would, but I've never had one." (rim shot)

Steve

2019-01-12 5:50 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Micawber

I'm back. I signed in last year but life got in the way and I fizzled out quickly. I'll see if I can actually get some training in and maybe check in a little more often this year.

Hey Dwayne,

Welcome back! 

Life got in the way and you fizzled out quickly - You know, Vince Lombardi may have said it best, "It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, what matters is how many times you get back up."

Originally posted by Micawber

They say a goal without a plan is just a wish. I've never been much good at planning but I suppose that should be a first step. Hmm...

You must have been reading my website, I think that very same line is in there! - http://bscmultisport.com/blog/2018/02/09/goal-setting/

2019-01-15 10:42 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Thanks Scott! I read your linked blog post. While I’ve probably read similar articles before, though quite a while ago, I believe yours is new to me. It was a good reminder of some ideas worth revisiting. I suppose, to start, I’ll compose and write out a concrete goal and plan, before next week so something may actually get accomplished this time around.

This evening was the first yoga class in over a year but it went pretty well. I’ve been doing some stretching all along, almost daily, which helped.

Got nothing for you guys on the golf. I own a set of clubs but certainly wouldn’t call myself a golfer.
2019-01-16 2:27 AM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Hey Dwayne,

Glad that article helped.  It's always amazed me how empowering writing a goal down can be.  Sitting down with a blank sheet of paper, taking a couple of minutes to think it through and then writing it down somehow makes you more accountable to the goal - and to yourself.  The next thing you can do to help is to take that piece of paper and hang it up on upper corner of your bathroom mirror.  Then, every morning when you're in there brushing your teeth, when you look at that guy in the mirror, you'll see that goal up there in the corner of your eye - reminding you, nagging you.  At that point you can choose to take a step towards your goal, or you can choose to ignore it, but you won't forget it.  Good luck!  they say it takes 21-days of repetition for something to become a habit.  So 21-days of that piece of paper up there nagging you is all it takes to get you firmly on a path to achieving your goal.  One step at a time!

I don't know that you could ever have called what I did golf.  I only used that term because all the other four-letter words were already taken! I played the game for "that one shot."  You know the one I mean, that shot that was just perfect.  The shot that when the ball finally came to rest you thought, "It's not getting any better than that, I should just go home now."  I generally had one of those shots per round.  If I was lucky, it came late in the round because if it came on the first hole, I pretty well knew it was downhill from there!

2019-01-16 5:12 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Hello, I was in this group last year but kind of lost interest as I didn’t feel there was much interaction. People would say something and nobody reacted to it, just wrote their own story.( I am as guilty as anyone else ??.) I’ll give it another shot.

STORY: Will turn 49 this year. Live in Sweden I do not come to triathlon with an endurance sport background. My thing has always been team sports and martial arts until unstable knees forced me to abandon karate and find something else. Did my first sprint in 2014, didn’t especially like it but I kept at it because I like to eat and didn’t want to give that up. And having been active all my life I could not consider just sitting on my backside. Did one or 2 local sprints a year until 2017 when I saw a picture of myself taken at my first tri in May and saw a fat b*tch I did not recognize. Started counting the calories I ate and train more (like I said, I like to eat and it was either eat less or move more). The pounds started to drop and I became faster. So much faster that at my second tri in August I beat my time from the previous year by 15 minutes and came 4th out of 30 women of all ages! NOW I was hooked. Last year I did 4 sprints (small village races), came second once and won my home race. 1st of 30 women of all ages.
This year I have signed up at the Swedish federation and will compete at bigger events in my age group (sprints). I will also try an Olympic distance as my last race of the season. FUN!

FAMILY STATUS: 1 man, 1 son, 1 dog 2 cats

CURRENT TRAINING: took it easy after my last race due to some trouble with my foot but that seems to be OK (will see physio tomorrow) now so I have started training regularly. 4 to 6 hours/week at the moment and will increase gradually. Taking a swimming class.
WEIGHT-LOSS: 25 pounds in 2017. Still keeping them off

GOLF: Yes please. I work in the business and I try to play a few times a year. Went to Paris for the Ryder Cup last year, it was magical.

2019-01-16 3:38 PM
in reply to: Rollergirl

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Welcome Nathalie! I liked your fourth event, shopping. That is an essential element of triathlon preparation. Good luck on your season!

Thanks again Scott. I do have the size, strength, and flexibility to make a long golf drive. The trick is keeping it on the course, so I usually back off a bit on the effort though even that doesn't seem to help a lot. Like you say, every once in a long while the ball goes just where it was supposed to and you can imagine the gallery clapping. I have played a hole at Pebble beach, in a computer game.

Time crunch today but I did manage a short run on a treadmill. The legs still work but it seems my wind is not close to what it was, so far.
2019-01-17 12:26 AM
in reply to: Micawber

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Thanks Dwayne, yes shopping for tri stuff is a very important part of the sport, maybe my favourite one.
I’d like to upgrade my bike at the moment, not sure where to start.

2019-01-17 3:38 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Hello, I was in this group last year but kind of lost interest as I didn’t feel there was much interaction. People would say something and nobody reacted to it, just wrote their own story.( I am as guilty as anyone else ??.) I’ll give it another shot.

GOLF: Yes please. I work in the business and I try to play a few times a year. Went to Paris for the Ryder Cup last year, it was magical.

Hi Natalie,

Welcome back!  I'm with you about the group kind of losing interest.  That seems to happen every year.  In the past, there always seemed to be a good amount of interest early on, then things would decline as we got further into the season.  This year, the decline of the site is painfully obvious as we only have a few people trickling in.  I can remember back a few years there would be a dozen mentor groups and it was hard to keep up with the discussions going on - of course that was true for Beginner Triathlete overall.  Steve and I have had multiple discussions about this - it gets incredibly frustrating to put a post up, ask a question, and days go by with no response.  It gets hard to continue to force yourself to check the forum.  Maybe with a smaller, "more intimate" group, we can stay engaged a bit better.  I know for me personally, I've always preferred the group be a true mentor group rather than a private Facebook social page as some of the other groups have become.  To each his own!

I remember when you first joined the group a couple years ago, back when a single Sprint seemed like a challenge.  It's been a pleasure watching your progression as you've conquered longer distances and become faster!

Ryder Cup - now that would be a weekend!  I've been to a couple of Tournaments.  We used to live in Southern California, just a few miles from where the old Bob Hope Tournament was held out in Palm Springs/Palm Desert.  I was fortunate to have gone to that multiple times.  My dad took me the first time before I was even a teenager; then as my interest in golf grew, I started going on my own.  TV doesn't do justice to how good the guys and gals playing on tour really are.  The thing that most sets them apart from us mere mortals is when they get in trouble.  They'll hit a shot and land someplace that would have me looking at a snowman, and they end up with par.  Yeah, I'll stick to triathlon!

Welcome back Nathalie!

2019-01-17 3:46 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks Dwayne, yes shopping for tri stuff is a very important part of the sport, maybe my favourite one. I’d like to upgrade my bike at the moment, not sure where to start.

Nathalie,

The best place to start is with a fit.  Find a local fitter that can do a fit on a dynamic fit bike using either a Retul or FIST method.  From that, they will be able to give you your stack/reach numbers and likely tell you specifically which bike(s) will best fit you.  Then, after you purchase the bike, you take it back to the same fitter and they'll set you up on the bike with your "perfect" fit.  Doing it that way, you'll truly have YOUR bike.

2019-01-18 12:31 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl Thanks Dwayne, yes shopping for tri stuff is a very important part of the sport, maybe my favourite one. I’d like to upgrade my bike at the moment, not sure where to start.

Nathalie,

The best place to start is with a fit.  Find a local fitter that can do a fit on a dynamic fit bike using either a Retul or FIST method.  From that, they will be able to give you your stack/reach numbers and likely tell you specifically which bike(s) will best fit you.  Then, after you purchase the bike, you take it back to the same fitter and they'll set you up on the bike with your "perfect" fit.  Doing it that way, you'll truly have YOUR bike.

Thanks. That sounds like an expensive way to go about it. Does it mean I have to buy a new bike? I was thinking getting a second hand one, as my budget is limited—I like shopping but not spending too much money . I figured I’d get a better bike for the same money that way.

2019-01-18 12:37 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

>Ryder Cup - now that would be a weekend!  I've been to a couple of Tournaments.  We used to live in Southern California, just a few miles from where the old Bob Hope Tournament was held out in Palm Springs/Palm Desert.  I was fortunate to have gone to that multiple times.  My dad took me the first time before I was even a teenager; then as my interest in golf grew, I started going on my own.  TV doesn't do justice to how good the guys and gals playing on tour really are.  The thing that most sets them apart from us mere mortals is when they get in trouble.  They'll hit a shot and land someplace that would have me looking at a snowman, and they end up with par.  Yeah, I'll stick to triathlon!

Welcome back Nathalie!

Oh yes, I was there all week, working in the merchandise tent. The atmosphere was unbelievable. Got to watch some live action too. I was on the first tee on the first day. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. My company supplied the outerwear to the European team so you may say I was part of the winning team...

Edited by Rollergirl 2019-01-18 12:37 AM
2019-01-18 5:57 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
first tee

(IMG_1694.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_1694.JPG (42KB - 25 downloads)
2019-01-18 6:23 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Rollergirl

Thanks. That sounds like an expensive way to go about it. Does it mean I have to buy a new bike? I was thinking getting a second hand one, as my budget is limited—I like shopping but not spending too much money . I figured I’d get a better bike for the same money that way.

Yes, going that route would assume you're getting a new bike.  If you go with a used bike, just make sure it's the right size.

Here's a good video that walks through how to get critical measurements from your current bike.  From those, you can make sure any "new" bike will work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psbu9OH69sI

2019-01-18 6:24 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Rollergirl Oh yes, I was there all week, working in the merchandise tent. The atmosphere was unbelievable. Got to watch some live action too. I was on the first tee on the first day. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. My company supplied the outerwear to the European team so you may say I was part of the winning team... 

LOL, fixed that for you!

2019-01-18 9:41 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan

Originally posted by Rollergirl Oh yes, I was there all week, working in the merchandise tent. The atmosphere was unbelievable. Got to watch some live action too. I was on the first tee on the first day. I get goosebumps just thinking about it. My company supplied the outerwear to the European team so you may say I was part of the winning team... 

LOL, fixed that for you!

And thanks for the link, I will check it out

Edited by Rollergirl 2019-01-18 9:42 AM

2019-01-19 12:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group

Good morning all.  And also Hi and welcome to Natalie and Dwayne.  I look forward to sharing experiences, stories and tips with all.  I am currently snow skiing in the northern Rockies (Montana) for another 2 weeks.  Once this is behind me I'll get on with my training as my first Tri is the end of March.  I plan to ride a Grand Fondo the end of May as well.  I completed this ride a couple years back ... it was delightful, but I really want to go back with more training under me and shoot for better results. 

My current ride is a 58cm Cannondale Synapse, SRAM equipped shifting, P1 Powertap pedals, Cobb saddle and Mavic Cosmic Carbone wheelset.  My previous ride was a Cannondale 56cm frame System Six, which I bought the frame and built the bike from there.  I may point out too, that while I'd done a lot of reading to get the proper components - I had no idea what I was doing.  One son-in-law noticed during a ride some noise from my rear cassette and when he flicked at the gears, they actually wiggled a bit side to side.  He asked me about a small spacer/washer and I said "oh yeah, it's on the workbench - I had no idea what it was for".  It was no wonder that I'd complained about poor shifting!  He also told me I was no longer allowed to 'mechanic' my bike.

My point is Natalie ... yes you can buy very good used equipment.  As stated by Scott, make sure you buy the correct frame size from the start.  I started with a 56cm and wound up with a 58cm.  Given the right frame, the smaller, incremental adjustments for fitting can be done within that framework.  Things like seat height, forward/rear saddle alignment, bar height/width, stem length/attitude, etc. Another choice too is between differing frame designs - specifically an endurance (comfort) profile; a race profile or tri specific. 

For me ... again for me - my preference is to go with a 'comfort' frameset.  I am to the point wherein comfort gets the nudge over performance.  I still want to do well, but I've found more enjoyment in cycling with the endurance frameset.

Hope all have a great weekend!

Ciao ... Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2019-01-19 12:14 PM

(Dorm - Whitefish (4).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Dorm - Whitefish (4).jpg (74KB - 16 downloads)
2019-01-20 4:10 AM

User image

, Kronobergs lan
Enjoy the skiing Dorm!

Ok, find the right frame. I don’t even know the size on my current bike but I like it so I’ll check it and be on the lookout for a bike with that size. My problem is that I am rather short, so there aren’t many bikes my size out there. Maybe I will have to buy new after all...
2019-01-21 9:18 AM

User image

Regular
Yeah, I'm truly jealous. Have fun!
2019-01-22 3:40 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Congrats on the Whitefish trip Dorm! I get down to that area sometimes in the summer but haven't skied there yet. I used to ski a lot not far north of there in Fernie, BC. After some knee injuries though, I haven't been skiing much for quite a while now.

I'd committed to a plan by this week and that was nagging me yesterday. I was trying to get in the pool last week to get some idea of a baseline but that didn't happen until, finally, today. Performance benchmarks were, for me, horrible. Perhaps my initial plan should be just to show up for each sport at least once a week for the first month. More often would be better, of course. At least this gets me working again with pool and gym schedules, and gear logistics, etc. After a month, I should have a better idea about performance goals and can make a more specific plan.

Before the snow clears, my road bike needs a tune up and I'll need some new bike shoes. I also have a commuting bike with bigger tires, a chain guard, fenders, a kick stand, luggage rack, etc. but it needs repairs too. I was standing on the pedals up a steep incline and bent part of the derailleur mechanism at the back.

The road bike with aero bars is what I used for triathlons so I guess I'm also leaning more towards comfort in a bike frame. The drawback is that the more laid back seat angle limits the drop to the bars before knees hit your chest.

Edited by Micawber 2019-01-22 10:41 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 926 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa