General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aluminum bike durability Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2018-12-29 11:14 PM

Subject: Aluminum bike durability
Newbie question. I have a 2010 QR tequilo aluminum with carbon fork. I have a Sprint in March, Oly in April, and finally a HIM in North Carolina. I want to increase my speed and I'm also wondering about the durability of my bike. Thoughts?

2018-12-30 1:40 PM
in reply to: #5253125

User image

Subject: RE: Aluminum bike durability
As far as durability goes, good aluminum is pretty solid. I wouldn’t worry about the bike frame too much unless you have a pretty serious crash.

Assuming a good fit, the biggest limiter for speed during cycling is the engine. There are little things you can do to make marginal gains in aerodynamics and speed, but putting in the work is going to make the biggest difference.
2018-12-30 6:05 PM
in reply to: Onlyhisway

User image

Cypress, Texas

I have a 20 year old Aluminum Frame TT bike and a 10 year old Carbon Frame TT bike.  I race on the Carbon Frame bike because it is newer, a better fit, and has more race accessories.  I didn't see any over night speed gains when I went from the aluminum frame to the carbon frame, but the carbon frame is lighter and so going up hills you have slightly less to push which should make you a little faster.  Take every advantage you can from the equipment.  A little bit of time saving here and a little bit of time saming there adds up.  If you can cut 10 minutes off your HIM bike leg that is huge.  Running 13.1 miles 10 minute faster or swimming 1.2 miles 10 minutes faster may seem impossible, but with with optimising all of your bike equipments and a lot of hard work that is more doable. 

2018-12-30 6:13 PM
in reply to: Onlyhisway

Originally posted by Onlyhisway

Newbie question. I have a 2010 QR tequilo aluminum with carbon fork. I have a Sprint in March, Oly in April, and finally a HIM in North Carolina. I want to increase my speed and I'm also wondering about the durability of my bike. Thoughts?

Hah, looking or permission to buy a new bike? Then by all means, I approve

Would a new carbon frame be faster than a 2010 aluminium frame. . . sure. . . by how much. . . not earth shattering.
2019-01-03 8:08 PM
in reply to: 0

Thank you all for the feedback! I'm really getting a good fit so I'll stay with my old girl. I'm working on the engine as much as possible! But the new carbon bikes are sooooo pretty! Lololol. Not that I can afford one anyway ha!

Edited by Onlyhisway 2019-01-03 8:09 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aluminum bike durability Rss Feed