BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-02-27 12:20 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open

Originally posted by firebert

Sappho that ride looks wonderful.  I love great bike trails!!

No great tips on motivation for willpower on not having the bad foods now, I'm miserable at that.  Only thing I'm good at is adding workout time to counteract any indiscretions...

It's not all glamorous! I rode past a Category A prison (highest level!) too!

Image result for winson green prison canal

2019-02-28 8:04 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Up early (-ish) to get my long run for the week in before the freezing rain we are forecasted to get today arrived. I should have gotten up a little earlier. About 20' into the run, it started to sprinkle. Since I've already been caught out in a really cold rain this season, I decide to turn back and change my route so I'd never be more than 1/2mi from my house. By the time I got back near my house, it was pouring. It is 28F here today. I packed it in after about 31' total. Not what I wanted to do today, but something at least.
2019-02-28 9:22 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

^Sounds like my run yesterday afternoon, with the exception of the temperature (68 not 28    I was racing a thunderstorm and not, you know, hypothermia....  stay safe out there everyone winter training!

2019-02-28 3:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove Up early (-ish) to get my long run for the week in before the freezing rain we are forecasted to get today arrived. I should have gotten up a little earlier. About 20' into the run, it started to sprinkle. Since I've already been caught out in a really cold rain this season, I decide to turn back and change my route so I'd never be more than 1/2mi from my house. By the time I got back near my house, it was pouring. It is 28F here today. I packed it in after about 31' total. Not what I wanted to do today, but something at least.

Brrrrr! (after i'd googled 28f to c). My commute was in 9c (48f) and started to chuck it down about half way in. I actually did a longer route (about a mile extra) so I could go on some different /nicer roads with posh houses to look at: if you gonna get wet and it's already dark you might as well go shiny...

Btw if you could have one thing in a dream home what would it be? I'd want an indoor pool of a decent length My ma would want an orangery so she could have fresh lemons for her g+t

Edited by sappho96 2019-02-28 3:36 PM
2019-03-01 3:28 PM

User image

Originally posted by sappho96

Btw if you could have one thing in a dream home what would it be? I'd want an indoor pool of a decent length My ma would want an orangery so she could have fresh lemons for her g+t

A courtyard garden I could sit in and drink coffee in the morning, read books, do yoga, etc. And that I'd be constantly gardening in.

I just went back and logged all my workouts in BT... I really need to remember to do that once a week. (maybe while I drink my coffee in my garden =D) Does anyone know if theres a way to connect BT to Strava or Fitbit?
2019-03-02 9:08 AM

User image

Sunrise brick this morning. First brick of the season! And it felt like a brick...

Edited by riles32807 2019-03-02 3:03 PM

2019-03-02 1:42 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Ideal house would have a self-cleaning mechanism and industrial ventilation in whatever area I store my dirty workout clothes in!!

2019-03-02 3:36 PM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

DeLand, Florida
Ideal house - definitely that 25yd indoor lap pool. And exercise studio. Dedicated garage for bike storage and maintenance...
2019-03-02 3:38 PM
in reply to: #5256121

User image

DeLand, Florida
Riles - great pics! I was out at sunup today too but didn't get any cool sunrise pics...

6 mile 'long' run for me yesterday. Longest of 2019 so far.

And 32 or so miles on the bike this morning.

- John
2019-03-02 4:35 PM
in reply to: #5256122

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:45 on the trainer. Spring can’t get here soon enough! Riding on the trainer is starting to bore me to pieces!!!

Yesterday was a 2200yd swim (cut short due to a meeting) and a 30’ run.
2019-03-03 8:04 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Pretty pics riles! here are some other pics of a more important variety (the two beers I tried Friday)

Image result for tuborg gold malt ficiand Related image

Anybody else loving the start of the proper cycling? Omloop yesterday (spoiler - a man on a bike won!) and Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne today. Big football match today too for me: Liverpool versus Everton, which is a local derby. Eek! 

2019-03-03 3:25 PM
in reply to: #5256124

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:10 on the trainer and a 20’ run today (not done as a brick). I’m tired! It was a tough ride today. My legs are just jetted from accumulated fatigue.

Also went to the store and bought actual food made out of produce and lean meat, not chemicals or take out. All set for a week of healthier eating! This is a big challenge for me, as cooking takes time and effort at the end of the day and lots of days I’m just not into it.
2019-03-03 5:33 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Yay Gretchen is back! Long bike plus a swim run double is more like it! May the illnesses stay away. Sappho i'm definitely excited for proper cycling again. Unfortunately i can't watch it yet. Even with my paid NBC Sports Gold cycling pass, i get nothing until Paris Roubaix i think. It's a terrible thing if you're a fan of the classics living in the states!

(EDIT - I actually get to watch Paris-Nice in a week and a half or so!)

Edited by firebert 2019-03-05 9:45 AM
2019-03-03 7:17 PM

User image

Because I can't let Sappho96's challange go unanswered...

This is the Cabernet sauvignon I mentioned a while back. I was right, its yummy. =)

A brick Saturday, a swim/run with my triathlon club this morning, and looking at my schedule, I have a brick again tomorrow? Who put this crazy schedule together? (Hint, it rhymes with smiles)

I think I found a solution to my swim allergies, I bought a nasal irrigation thingy, and used it after my swim this morning. So far so good, usually I'm getting stuffy by now.
2019-03-04 7:54 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rest day here!!! I feel like that camel on the Geico commercials a few years ago being all excited about Hump Day! It is REST DAY!!! Even better...I hit every workout last week. Two were shortened (one for time issues in teh pool, one due to freezing rain), but I started every single scheduled workout last week! Take that, stupid sinuses!
2019-03-04 7:55 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by riles32807

I think I found a solution to my swim allergies, I bought a nasal irrigation thingy, and used it after my swim this morning. So far so good, usually I'm getting stuffy by now.

I have to use one of those things before (and after) my sinus surgery! It is, by far, the most disgusting thing I've ever had to do for medical purposes. And I once had surgery that left me with a pump to manually pump blood out of my abdomen for 24 hours!! That irrigation thing is gross and I don't look forward to using it at all, but I will say, it does help!

2019-03-04 10:29 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by riles32807 Because I can't let Sappho96's challange go unanswered... This is the Cabernet sauvignon I mentioned a while back. I was right, its yummy. =) A brick Saturday, a swim/run with my triathlon club this morning, and looking at my schedule, I have a brick again tomorrow? Who put this crazy schedule together? (Hint, it rhymes with smiles) I think I found a solution to my swim allergies, I bought a nasal irrigation thingy, and used it after my swim this morning. So far so good, usually I'm getting stuffy by now.

Fuuny - I meant I liked your exercise pics! That wine makes a good picture too though

2019-03-04 6:43 PM
in reply to: #5256137

User image

, Vermont
Hey all! Knee deep in training but squirreled in a 45” trainer followed by a 2 mile run and some weights. Ran 3 on Saturday. Training has been very tough with my work training schedule but this too shall come to pass.. only one more month of it.

I have beer pictures but haven’t figured out how to download them via mobile and won’t have a computer for a month. Ah well! Hahaha

Question for the 920xt owners. I’m finding when my data downloads from my watch to my phone app that some things - notably “steps” doesn’t transfer everything. For example, right now my watch says 10,288 steps but when I link it with the phone to download data it only shows 7,328 steps. Why is that? Has anyone had anything similar? Thanks for any input!

2019-03-04 9:03 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Pretty crappy end of the week/start of March for me,

After pushing to get home after only 1 night away rather than 2, I ended up making myself sick... nothing major, just picked up a bit of a flu (probably from the snot factory that is kindy) Long story short I decided that rest and recuperation was a better idea than trying to push through. So ended up with 4 days in a row off to finish the week, and my shortest week of the year.

Yesterday, I felt fine, so tried an easy run after work, but the running felt pretty crap. Not sure if it's still a little sick, or just one of those things but it was all so much more difficult than it should have been. Had a nice swim at lunch today, so may try another run tonight, we will see how I'm feeling after putting the little man to bed.

Have a good week everyone.
2019-03-04 9:14 PM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

DeLand, Florida

Way to stay with it Jenn and Andrew!  Andrew - hope the sickness is all done.  Yes it does take time to recover even after you feel better, especially, at least for me, for running.  Glad the swim was great!

I am SO incredibly happy to have largely avoided illness this winter.  I had a cold for a couple days and that was about it, back in early Jan I think.

2019-03-04 9:31 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

I've gotten myself hip-deep into the bike maintenance thing.  As mentioned before I took the plunge and replaced my handlebar tape.  Easy enough that anyone can do it on their own.  The big learning points for me were maintaining good tension while wrapping, and ending the wrap at the bottom.  For my first try I'm really happy, everything has held up well so far and the new tape is SO comfy!  (Prologo plaintouch I think)

Today I attempted to do two things - wash the bike (incl drivetrain degreasing) and swap the crankset.  Washing the bike is WAY harder than anyone gives credit for.  I degreased the chain, twice, with the chain pig degreaser tool thing.  And still, the chain was wet with gray crap.  So I wiped it down thoroughly with paper towels.  And then I spun the cranks and gray greasy crap flung all over my freshly washed bike.  Had to use the citrus degreaser to get the stuff off the frame...  Then hosed that off, which wet the chain, which got more greasy gray crap all over the frame, AGAIN.  I give up on having a clean grease mark free bike.  All the worse because it's white...

The crankset install - this actually hasn't been that difficult, but I will share what I have learned.  On my FSA crank, there is an engraving around the crank bolt that says LH and has an arrow pointing in the direction to tighten.  THIS IS NOT FOR THE CRANK BOLT.  It's for the stupid dust cover that protects it.  The crank bolt itself is normal righty-tighty lefty-loosey.  I'm happy I didn't break anything tightening it REALLY hard instead of loosening it.  Got the new crankset installed and the drive side crank arm is like crazy close to the chainstay.  Not sure how to fix this yet.  The big puzzling thing for me is I took off an FSA Gossamer crankset, and replaced it with a newer FSA Gossamer crankset.  The bottom bracket stayed right where it was from the factory.  There's no good reason the clearance should be that tight, but there it is...  Will post back when I get it figured out.

In any case the larger point is if you're short on money, doing bike maintenance yourself can be a lot cheaper than going to a shop.  It's really satisfying in that DIY kind of way.  I'm really enjoying it.  I'm being careful, taking my time, watching all the how-to videos before attempting anything (Park Tool has great videos, so does GCN).  On top of this I've become a pro at derailleur adjustment.  Next I'll be truing wheels. :D

2019-03-05 4:13 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

In any case the larger point is if you're short on money, doing bike maintenance yourself can be a lot cheaper than going to a shop.  It's really satisfying in that DIY kind of way.  I'm really enjoying it.  I'm being careful, taking my time, watching all the how-to videos before attempting anything (Park Tool has great videos, so does GCN).  On top of this I've become a pro at derailleur adjustment.  Next I'll be truing wheels. :D

Love a bit of derailleur adjustment!

2019-03-05 7:37 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by sappho96

Love a bit of derailleur adjustment!

I'm so scared to fix anything on my bike!! I worry about somehow breaking something that is going to be really expensive to fix...especially now that I have a carbon fiber bike.

Now that I'm thinking about it, it is kind of weird to be scared to work on my bike. I have no hesitation to tear into my house!! And I know virtually nothing about home repairs either. I learn on the go and when things get really bad, I call my Dad!

Edited by drfoodlove 2019-03-05 7:38 AM
2019-03-05 9:04 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey everyone, I've been off the grid a bit the last few days/week. Made it to the pool this morning and got in about 1900 yds. Getting out of bed was really difficult, but I managed. Even though we lose an hour this weekend, I'm kind of excited for daylight savings since it means the sun rises earlier. Will make my early mornings a little less difficult (hopefully).

It's really cold here, too. Spring needs to come asap.
Anyone have tips on battling this end of winter lack of motivation? Florida people, I don't want to hear it from you :-P
2019-03-05 9:11 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

There you go Gretchen!  

I'm scared of the carbon fiber as well.  But most things have a torque rating printed right on them.  You can get a torque wrench appropriate for CF bike work for like $40 (shipped, from UK), with the bits that come with it:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/x-tools-essential-torque-wrench-set/rp-prod155414?gs=1&sku=sku567738&pgrid=47992999650&ptaid=pla-423723653511&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+All+Products&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid|sEWwoGSwj_dc|pcrid|253685278709|pkw||pmt||prd|567738US&gclid=CjwKCAiA2fjjBRAjEiwAuewS_QZwLgINREcLqwKkawxl0DDBW3zqp6KMwdsufTRM-u8HlyQ-I9PiYBoCh5UQAvD_BwE

I got a similar sized torque wrench from good old Harbor Freight - but unfortunately it measures in in-lbs and some other completely useless standard, and not newton-meters the way all our bike stuff is spec'd.  So every time I want to tighten something I have to look up a conversion.  Spend the extra $ and get the one in N-M

Also - my nickname around the house is 'gorilla hands' for my complete inability to finesse anything open without breaking it; and I haven't broken my CF frame or seatpost in any way yet so if I can do it...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7623 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 930 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa