BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-03-11 10:02 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by drfoodlove ^^ ha!! I do the cadaver part, not the dog part!

Aren't cadaver's hard to train??????

Hey! Stay on Gretchen's good side, she knows how to hide a body! =o

Still cool Gretchen. In high school I was in the local search & rescue explorer scouts. I got to play "missing kid" a couple of times. Anything search & rescue related is cool in my book.

I did a cross lake swim with my triathlon club. I learned two things; one, I'm slow like really slow, and two, I need to work on my sighting. I was gassed by the end but I made it the 2 miles.

2019-03-11 2:15 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by nicole14e
Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by drfoodlove ^^ ha!! I do the cadaver part, not the dog part!

Aren't cadaver's hard to train??????

This made me giggle out loud

Reminded me of the SVU episode where Liv finds bodies of victims connected to her previous cases. 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0629756/

2019-03-11 2:40 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, that fall on rollerblades sounds painful. Way to stick to your bike the next day! I definitely would've used it as a reason not to do it (but you all know how much I love the bike... ).

The weather is finally turning here! The next 10 days are going to be high 40s and above. SPRING HAS ARRIVED!

I didn't do much this weekend, but am going to try to get a run in this afternoon, or go to sprint (HIIT cycling class) at the gym. I didn't bring my stuff though so need to run home and grab it quick if I get out of work in time.

Have volleyball later, but hopefully can still get up for swimming in the morning.

I also just downloaded and app called Lifesum. It's a meal/exercise tracking app. I decided I need to track my meals so I know what I'm putting into my body and cut back on the crap. I just need to stick with it. I've used MFP in the past but decided I would try this one b/c in an article on tracking apps, it was ranked #1 (MFP was #4). If I can keep up with this I think it will be extremely beneficial.
2019-03-11 7:45 PM

User image

I also just downloaded and app called Lifesum. It's a meal/exercise tracking app. I decided I need to track my meals so I know what I'm putting into my body and cut back on the crap. I just need to stick with it. I've used MFP in the past but decided I would try this one b/c in an article on tracking apps, it was ranked #1 (MFP was #4). If I can keep up with this I think it will be extremely beneficial.

Tracking my food helps so much for me. If I'm embarrassed to log it (even though I'm the only one who sees my log), then I figure I shouldn't eat it.
2019-03-12 8:54 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by riles32807

Tracking my food helps so much for me. If I'm embarrassed to log it (even though I'm the only one who sees my log), then I figure I shouldn't eat it.

Exactly! And I feel like actually seeing the information on what I am putting into my body helps me be like, oh wow I ate a lot of carbs yesterday. I decided last night to pay for the app b/c you also get info on saturated vs. unsaturated fat, fiber, sugars, cholesterol, sodium and potassium, and you can store recipes to make tracking quicker/easier if you eat the same thing a lot (which I do). I'd love an app that tracks all micronutrients but apparently that does not exist right now.
2019-03-12 11:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got a run in after work last night. It felt slow and it hurt A LOT, but ended up being 9:27 pace, which I'm happy with for my first run in awhile.

Went to bed late from vball and missed swimming this morning :-/ I think I'm gonna try to go on another run after work, before my football playoffs, to make up for it. But also don't want to push it too much too soon. Gonna see how I feel after my walk home.

2019-03-13 9:06 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Unscheduled rest day yesterday. I drove home from my folks' house and then took a pain pill for my butt/back. Then...suddenly, it was 5pm! Not entirely sure what happened between 2 and 5, but It wasn't my planned swim or run like it was supposed to be. Extra rest is good though. I do plan to do my 90' ride later this afternoon. Not sure yet about the run--it still hurts to walk, stand, or climb stairs. I don't think running is going to be any better.

My wife thinks I should go to the doctor. I don't think there is anything to be done about a cracked butt, so there really is no point. What says BT hive mind? Dr for x-rays just to know what is going on (and get cool copies of my x-rays) or just rest and heal on my own?
2019-03-13 9:13 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove ... My wife thinks I should go to the doctor. I don't think there is anything to be done about a cracked butt, so there really is no point. What says BT hive mind? Dr for x-rays just to know what is going on (and get cool copies of my x-rays) or just rest and heal on my own?

Been there, falling off a motorcycle.  Bruised my hip/butt pretty significantly and figured I'd just wait it out and heal.  Just keep an eye on it - mine didn't heal within 4-5 days like I would have expected and instead got worse.  Turns out, even without an external abrasion introducing germs, you can still get a wound infection.  

In my case the bruising that turned my hip and butt purple was bad enough that the bleeding went down as far as my ankle and my whole leg turned color as well.  GOOD TIMES I tells ya.

2019-03-13 9:26 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by drfoodlove ... My wife thinks I should go to the doctor. I don't think there is anything to be done about a cracked butt, so there really is no point. What says BT hive mind? Dr for x-rays just to know what is going on (and get cool copies of my x-rays) or just rest and heal on my own?

Been there, falling off a motorcycle.  Bruised my hip/butt pretty significantly and figured I'd just wait it out and heal.  Just keep an eye on it - mine didn't heal within 4-5 days like I would have expected and instead got worse.  Turns out, even without an external abrasion introducing germs, you can still get a wound infection.  

In my case the bruising that turned my hip and butt purple was bad enough that the bleeding went down as far as my ankle and my whole leg turned color as well.  GOOD TIMES I tells ya.

That's the thing! I don't even have a bruise on the surface of the skin! It is just super painful to pretty much move period.
2019-03-13 9:31 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Glad to see everyone else staying at it while fighting out the last of the winter doldrums.

Had a bit of an off week last week.  Sunday (Mar 03) was walking only, about 7 miles.  Then I ran once (5 mi Wed) and biked once (45 min trainer Fri).  Saturday was supposed to be a long run, but ended up taking my daughter to Theater class in the morning (4 hours incl travel) and helping my brother in law get the boat ready for Sunday Funday.  By the time we were done, it was sunset.  Sunday was an early start, taking the boat out with the family to the Glen (silver Springs Glen in Ocala).  Picture waist deep crystal clear underground spring fed water with rows of boats all tied up to each other.  Much beer and sun, zero exercise...

So Monday I did my 'long' run to make up for it, 6 miles.  Tuesday I did 45' on the trainer.  Today I'll run again, my 45 min maintenance run.  

Until I have a race to plan for other than the potential of the January 2020 Dopey Challenge, I'm in a sort of HM training holding pattern on the run, and sort of haphazardly working my way up to a century on the bike.

My wife is starting a job at the end of the month though so hopefully the added income can cover me going back to the Y and SWIMMING AGAIN! And some real strength training too, other than the pushups and squats I do at home...

2019-03-13 11:24 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Gretchen, does it feel muscular or like a bone injury? I hurt my tailbone once and thought it might be fractured (it wasn't!), so went and got scans. If it's muscular, an x-ray isn't going to show you anything, and they will then send you for an MRI to see if anything is torn. I'd say you're probably better off just resting then, b/c it's probably just a contusion and will hurt for a little while.

If you think something may be fractured or torn, then definitely go and get that stuff done. This is my non-medical opinion, haha, so take it for what it's worth (which probably isn't much).

2019-03-13 11:25 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Glad to see everyone else staying at it while fighting out the last of the winter doldrums.

Had a bit of an off week last week.  Sunday (Mar 03) was walking only, about 7 miles.  Then I ran once (5 mi Wed) and biked once (45 min trainer Fri).  Saturday was supposed to be a long run, but ended up taking my daughter to Theater class in the morning (4 hours incl travel) and helping my brother in law get the boat ready for Sunday Funday.  By the time we were done, it was sunset.  Sunday was an early start, taking the boat out with the family to the Glen (silver Springs Glen in Ocala).  Picture waist deep crystal clear underground spring fed water with rows of boats all tied up to each other.  Much beer and sun, zero exercise...

So Monday I did my 'long' run to make up for it, 6 miles.  Tuesday I did 45' on the trainer.  Today I'll run again, my 45 min maintenance run.  

Until I have a race to plan for other than the potential of the January 2020 Dopey Challenge, I'm in a sort of HM training holding pattern on the run, and sort of haphazardly working my way up to a century on the bike.

My wife is starting a job at the end of the month though so hopefully the added income can cover me going back to the Y and SWIMMING AGAIN! And some real strength training too, other than the pushups and squats I do at home...

Yay for the wife getting a job and possibly getting back to swimming!
2019-03-13 11:28 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
I decided not to run after work last night. I left work a little early with a horrible headache/pain behind my eye. This is the second time this has happened to me, and I think it's related to my shoulder/neck being tight and my bad posture. Need to work on that. And lay on my foam roller tonight.

Had 2 football games (we lost in the finals :-/), and have a nice bruise on my pelvis thanks to a dive that landed me on my flag belt. No fun, but luckily it's just a little tender (my pants being a little too tight isn't helping either).

Missed boot camp this morning thanks to post-game commiseration (aka lots of Miller Lite :-/...it's $8 for 2 pitchers for us, don't judge me), but hope to make it to the pool tomorrow morning.
2019-03-13 11:34 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Nicole - as the poster child for bad posture/neck/shoulder tension/pain/headaches - I am concerned with headaches coming from behind the eye.  My tension headaches have manifested themselves all over my head from the back to the sides to the temples.  Never behind the eye - that could be something else and is worth noting and potentially bringing to a doctor.  

Also - I am not a doctor and so my opinion on that is as valuable as ours both on Gretchen's backside injury 

2019-03-13 2:28 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Nicole - as the poster child for bad posture/neck/shoulder tension/pain/headaches - I am concerned with headaches coming from behind the eye.  My tension headaches have manifested themselves all over my head from the back to the sides to the temples.  Never behind the eye - that could be something else and is worth noting and potentially bringing to a doctor.  

Also - I am not a doctor and so my opinion on that is as valuable as ours both on Gretchen's backside injury 

Haha that is fair! It's more like, my right temple, but then when I blink I feel it behind my eye. You're probably right though. I have a PCP appointment next month and will bring it up to her there. It's only the 2nd time it's happened and felt better when I got outside, so I'm thinking it could be related to staring at my screen all day too. I think I'm going to invest in blue light blocking glasses.

Edited by nicole14e 2019-03-13 2:28 PM
2019-03-14 9:49 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got in about 2600 yds today at swim squad. It hurt. I also wimped out and skipped a 200 IM b/c I was feeling lazy. Still a great start to the day!

2019-03-15 8:44 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Finally broke down and went to the doctor yesterday. Good news--I did not break my butt (it just feels like it!). Walking, sitting, and laying are still painful, but I'm going to give my scheduled swim a try today. I can ride without pain (at least, pain in my butt), but running is out until this is better. I'm not sure about swimming--will report back later this afternoon.
2019-03-15 11:38 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Yay for no broken butt!!!  Hopefully swimming is ok, and the combo of swimming and biking can carry you fitness wise until you can get back to the running.

2019-03-15 12:02 PM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Can I join in the fun? I just joined the forum yesterday, and I like what I see in this thread. You can find my intro post in the Introduce Yourself forum.

Here goes:

NAME: rpaulson7 / Ryan

STORY: 43-year-old male living in the Minneapolis area, where I've lived my entire life. Been a runner since 2013 after I gave up on serious strength training. Completed 3 marathons and many other races of shorter distance. Broke my foot in July 2018 while marathon training, and discovered the great variety provided by cycling and swimming when I couldn't run. And now that I run again, I'm sticking with the cycle/swim and training for a triathlon.

FAMILY STATUS: Husband and father of two girls. Both of us work full time, have fitness centers at work, and somewhat flexible schedules that are good for family life and workouts.

CURRENT TRAINING: 4 runs, 2 swims, 2 cycles per week. Also aim for one strength training and one Cardio Core class per week. I enjoy structure and speed work, so will provide details in my daily checkins.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Graniteman Clearwater Olympic distance, June 29 in Clearwater, MN. Then Twin Cities Marathon on October 6. I chose this particular triathlon because it fit into the June schedule, and allows enough time to switch over to marathon training.

UPCOMING YEAR'S GOALS: Finish my first triathlon, while remaining injury free. Roll in to the marathon training afterward, and set a marathon PR.

WEIGHT LOSS: None needed. I'm 6'2" and 165 pounds. Wouldn't mind gaining a few pounds of muscle in the legs and back this year.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I will visit the thread regularly, post about myself, and answer questions from others if I'm qualified. I'm a sponge for information, and could use some advice on cycling and swimming workouts. I'm also into the details, so would like some help with race preparation - what to wear, what to do and not to do in transitions, etc. And, friendly banter and sharing experiences with similar people is fun!

FAVORITE BEER: "Here Beer" - a beer made extremely close to where I'm at. So, visiting the local breweries, having Minnesota beers on hand at home, and visiting breweries when I'm traveling. I prefer hoppy IPAs, stouts, and porters - and a flight is even better! Willing to try anything, but also willing to dump out a beer I don't like. I'll aim to post a favorite beer each week.
2019-03-15 2:26 PM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome Ryan! We are happy to have you! Any questions you may have, ask away!

I like "here beer." I might steal that I recently discovered I love stouts and porters as well. Always thought they would be too heavy but they are SO YUMMY. Had a chocolate PB recently that was basically an alcoholic milkshake.
2019-03-15 4:32 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome Ryan!

I hit the pool today and managed to get in the entire scheduled 2700yd workout, but the end was messy and painful. I thought about doing some aqua jogging too, because I have a run scheduled for today, but then realized I don't really know what aqua jogging is! Is it jogging in place (roughly) in the deep end of the pool supported by a buoyancy belt? Or is it running in waist deep water? Inquiring minds want to know!! (Also--that could also be a really lame excuse for not doing any run-like activity after my swim because I was tired and in pain and hungry.)

2019-03-16 1:47 PM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Two hours on the trainer—ugh. I’m so tired of riding inside!! The temps have started to warm up a little, but just not quite warm enough.
2019-03-16 6:55 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Welcome Ryan!  I'm with Nicole - 'Here beer' is awesome.  And it reminds me that I need more of it.  We have an awesome brewery downtown and I'm not there nearly enough...

I'm working on making up for last week/weekend's laziness.  After my run Monday and trainer ride Tuesday, I had a 5 mile maintenance run Wednesday (yes, my maintenance runs are one mile shorter than my long runs...not sure what's wrong with me), and a 50' trainer ride with intervals on Friday.  Today I did just about 40 miles on the bike - 39.4.  Almost entirely on my local bike trail, but I had to do it twice.  

Planning a long run tomorrow but may take a rest day and do it Monday (which is my usual rest day) - feeling wiped from the 40 miles.  I don't know how you Iron-types do it!

2019-03-16 9:03 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by drfoodlove

Welcome Ryan!

I hit the pool today and managed to get in the entire scheduled 2700yd workout, but the end was messy and painful. I thought about doing some aqua jogging too, because I have a run scheduled for today, but then realized I don't really know what aqua jogging is! Is it jogging in place (roughly) in the deep end of the pool supported by a buoyancy belt? Or is it running in waist deep water? Inquiring minds want to know!! (Also--that could also be a really lame excuse for not doing any run-like activity after my swim because I was tired and in pain and hungry.)

It's the deep end, buoyancy belt thing. You don't actually need the belt, but it helps you keep your posture. What makes aqua jogging so good is that it is no impact. Running in the shallow end would be less impact than running but still have some. Here's a video that explains it a bit more. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj4dDM-xqvs
I did this to train in college when I had a stress fracture in my shin and it is an insanely great workout. I was able to come back from my injury after 8 weeks and place at conferences in indoor track. This wasn't all I did to keep in shape but it was almost definitely the most significant piece.
2019-03-16 9:11 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subbed going to swim practice with 3 hours of beach volleyball this morning it wasn't that warm (needed sand socks in the beginning to keep feeling in my feet), but it was great to get out there. By the end I was in shorts and a tank top! SPRING!

Gonna run in the AM before some beer drinking for St. Patty's Day. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7829 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 944 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa