BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-04-18 11:25 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by nicole14e Had a rough swim yesterday morning, in a good way. Lots of stroke. Basically did 12 75s IM order (fly back breast, free fly back, breast free fly, etc), then 4 x 100 IM "fast" (mine were not fast). Also had a late football game last night so didn't get a run or boot camp in this morning and I am regretting that.

That swim sounds brutal! Btw when you say football is it full Tom Brady esque or flag football, or actually proper football with a round ball played by the lovely Megan Rapinhoe for example???

Good questions! It is flag football, so not quite so intense. It's coed though so some of the guys end up taking it too far (and occasionally some of the girls honestly).

2019-04-18 11:29 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Slept through my alarm this morning. This has not been my week. As most of you know I have been studying to be a dietitian, and was recently officially accepted into the program that starts in the fall. But in the last two days I've panicked a bit and think I need to put this on hold, or possibly not do it at all. The cost of it alone is going to double my school loan debt, and that's just tuition. I'm not sure if I will be able to work the whole time (I have a house, car, etc that I need to pay for), and I'm pretty sure I will have no time to work out, which is bad for my mental health. I'm taking the weekend before I officially make my decision, so it's been a bit stressful. Hopefully I can get a run in this afternoon to clear my head.
2019-04-18 1:51 PM
in reply to: #5257801

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Two hours on the trainer today. It actually wasn’t too bad. I tried reading a book and that helped pass the time. I wouldn’t recommend it for an interval workout, but for a long Z2 workout, reading actually worked. Of course...it isn’t for library books or those you don’t want sweated all over. :P
2019-04-18 1:57 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Two hours on the trainer today. It actually wasn’t too bad. I tried reading a book and that helped pass the time. I wouldn’t recommend it for an interval workout, but for a long Z2 workout, reading actually worked. Of course...it isn’t for library books or those you don’t want sweated all over. :P

Too funny, was just discussing with a friend how a bike ride or a run outdoors (for me at least) is a mind clearing distraction from life.  BUT a ride on the trainer or a run on the treadmill is the opposite, and each requires a distraction from it.  Reading a book is a great idea!  I've only tried TV, specifically pro cycling.

2019-04-18 5:34 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Originally posted by firebert

Originally posted by drfoodlove Two hours on the trainer today. It actually wasn’t too bad. I tried reading a book and that helped pass the time. I wouldn’t recommend it for an interval workout, but for a long Z2 workout, reading actually worked. Of course...it isn’t for library books or those you don’t want sweated all over. :P

Too funny, was just discussing with a friend how a bike ride or a run outdoors (for me at least) is a mind clearing distraction from life.  BUT a ride on the trainer or a run on the treadmill is the opposite, and each requires a distraction from it.  Reading a book is a great idea!  I've only tried TV, specifically pro cycling.

I keep hearing that pro cycling is good to watch on the trainer. But that's my Netflix time! I have noticed that I can't watch shows where you have to pay attention like I would normally watch. And anything with subtitles is worthless. Maybe next trainer ride I'll put on a race.
2019-04-19 7:07 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by riles32807

I keep hearing that pro cycling is good to watch on the trainer. But that's my Netflix time! I have noticed that I can't watch shows where you have to pay attention like I would normally watch. And anything with subtitles is worthless. Maybe next trainer ride I'll put on a race.

That's what I do - I use the NBC Sports Gold channel on Roku and watch warm weather cycling events (though right now I"m in the middle of Paris-Roubaix, but still have to finish 5-6 stages of last year's TdF).  Passes the time.  For harder intervals will add some loud music.

2019-04-19 7:14 AM
in reply to: #5257846

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I normally watch the trashiest, soapiest tv shows I can find (Scandal, How to get Away with Murder, etc). This is the stuff I never watch regularly, but for some reason, on the trainer it holds my interest enough to pass the time. I also don’t worry if I miss a plot point (if anyone can ever find one in those shows!). As Riles said, nothing to heavy and certainly nothing with subtitles—I’d miss too much when I close my eyes in pain and groan!!!

Speaking of subtitles, I was going to watch 100 Meters yesterday, which is about a guy who got diagnosed with MS and subsequently decided to complete an IM distance race. Anyone seen it? I didn’t actually watch it because it is in Spanish and subtitled.
2019-04-19 8:39 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Got a run in on this beautiful morning! It's supposed to storm all afternoon, but has been a really lovely week otherwise.
2019-04-19 9:12 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Speaking of subtitles, I was going to watch 100 Meters yesterday, which is about a guy who got diagnosed with MS and subsequently decided to complete an IM distance race. Anyone seen it? I didn’t actually watch it because it is in Spanish and subtitled.

This sounds great!  Even with the subtitles.  Though definitely not trainer material...

Q - do you guys have your trainer set up in the living room and watch TV?  Or somewhere else and watch on a laptop?  I've been disallowed from the living room unless I want to take the trainer down after each use and put it away, which face it, I'm too lazy for that.  I've kind of cobbled a solution together for the garage with the laptop on top of the rollaway trash bin but looking for something more elegant.  Plus I need to get a fan because, summer is coming...

2019-04-19 9:12 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by nicole14e Got a run in on this beautiful morning! It's supposed to storm all afternoon, but has been a really lovely week otherwise.

Yay Spring!!!

2019-04-19 10:27 AM
in reply to: #5257868

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
My trainer is set up in the corner of our living room facing into the corner. About two years ago my wife finally gave in and bought me a small tv for that corner. So, we have two TVs in our living room.

2019-04-19 10:29 AM
in reply to: #5257883

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nicole—yay for running outside!!! I’m hoping to squeeze my run in this afternoon during the two hour break my weather app says we are supposed to get.

Awful 1600m in the pool this morning. I don’t know why, but nothing was working this morning. I have never been so glad when the pool closed on me before I was done with my workout.
2019-04-19 2:37 PM

User image

I set up/take down each time, either in the garage or in the back patio. I watch stuff on a tablet propped up in a patio chair or plyo-box, no remote, so whatever I'm watching is what I'm watching until I'm done. I have a box fan I set up on a chair or on the plyo-box. My wife built a small gym in the garage, so I'm working on a more permanent fan setup and possibly a TV. I have a mag trainer & usually ride after the kids are in bed, so riding in the house is not an option.
2019-04-19 3:09 PM
in reply to: #5257884

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Medium run this afternoon. Nice day for a run, the rain cleared out, but it is still cloudy and cool.
2019-04-20 5:28 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Roubaix was interesting this year!  Full gas start to finish, no one would let the break go.  And, could Philippe Gilbert be the next Tom Boonen? 

Also - it took me 3 nights to watch the whole race.  6:45 of coverage including the neutralized start and all the podium ceremonies.  And people think it's hard to watch an entire 9 inning baseball game....sheesh! 

I take your 9 inning baseball game and raise you a 5 (five) day cricket test match!

2019-04-20 5:33 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove  Speaking of subtitles, I was going to watch 100 Meters yesterday, which is about a guy who got diagnosed with MS and subsequently decided to complete an IM distance race. Anyone seen it? I didn’t actually watch it because it is in Spanish and subtitled.

I've watched it, and it is ok. That is all I can remember about it!

2019-04-20 6:13 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove My trainer is set up in the corner of our living room facing into the corner. About two years ago my wife finally gave in and bought me a small tv for that corner. So, we have two TVs in our living room.

We have a dedicated pain cave (with no windows, so truly a cave) in the basement.  I have a laptop hooked up to a 32" TV for workouts (my old eyes suck LOL) - not really needed for Trainer Road but very much needed for Zwift.  We also have two other TVs - both 32" - one is a really old one with a built-in DVD player that my wife uses for workout videos (she still has an old Cyndi Crawford one from the mid-90s that is HILARIOUS to watch now) and the other is our "TV watching" one with a Roku and both the bike and treadmill face it.  The room itself is a little over 200 sq ft but there is a bunch of stuff stored on one side with the pain cave taking up the other 2/3 or so.

Got in a long walk/hike yesterday (about 4.5 miles) which is my "running" anymore LOL.  Headed to spin class in a bit and will do a bunch of core work as well.  Orlando tomorrow!! 

2019-04-20 12:06 PM
in reply to: #5257894

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Two hour trainer tempo ride followed by a 25’ near-brick run (near-brick because I waited a little bit to juice up my hrm, high was dying on the bike). Near-brick run was a bad idea. I waited just long enough for everything to start to cool down and stiffen up a bit. It made the beginning of the run a little creeky.

13 days in a row. I’m pooped.
2019-04-20 1:54 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove My trainer is set up in the corner of our living room facing into the corner. About two years ago my wife finally gave in and bought me a small tv for that corner. So, we have two TVs in our living room.

Nobody puts Gretchen in a corner!

:lol:

2019-04-20 1:58 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Mike - that's the dream!  Having a dedicated pain cave!

Great job everyone getting the wroksouts in. Gretchen so happy to see you back it it strong after all the nonsense the past few months!

I went for a 17 mile bike ride in this am with my bro-in-law.  Slow pace, he's newly riding, and on a hybrid.  So good to get out on two wheels again though, especially since I could save my energy and sprint up the hills we have (most notably the overpass ramp for the train tracks).

2019-04-20 4:35 PM

User image

I did a 2 hr. ride on my Mt bike with my son on the third wheel this morning. Nice weather for a ride but a little windy. There was one section with a fairly steep hill, I was thinking I'd get a little break on a short downhill after. We came around a turn and the wind hit us full in the face. My son was like a sail in the back and I found myself having to peddle on a downhill!

2019-04-21 1:40 PM
in reply to: #5257908

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
REST DAY!!!!!!! Super tired, but excited to tackle some of the house projects that come with spring. Today: finishing a set of Adirondack chairs I started in 2016 (oops!).
2019-04-22 8:10 AM
in reply to: #5257927

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I hope everyone had a good Easter (presuming you celebrate).

Up early for a 30’ run. This is a guess workout, because my weekly schedule isn’t up yet. My schedule today, however, requires that I get in one workout before work, so I took a stab that this Monday’s workout will be pretty similar to last Monday’s workout.

One week until my first race of the season!! It is a “long sprint” try-a-tri. With the exception of the swim, it really is a long sprint—400yd pool swim, 20mi bike, 4 mi run. I did the short spring version of this race four years ago and it was 38F at start time. The bike was the worst.
2019-04-22 11:26 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Do any of you rotate running shoes?  I've always had one pair and done everything in them - speed work, short/med runs, long runs, races.   Theoretically you're supposed to rotate different shoes (preferably different brands but at least different lines from the same brand) to keep from overuse injuries.  

Recently I've started rotating.  I now have a pair of dedicated speed/short/med run shoes.  For the past two months I've been mixing those in with the old 'do everything' shoes and I've noticed my hips doing much better, which have been my nemesis for years.  The old 'do everything' shoes are pretty dead after 350 miles and so I have just ordered a replacement for them with a pair of cushiony shoes for long runs and recovery runs.  

I feel guilty because it means in the past two months I've spent nearly $300 between the two pairs of shoes and the fancy new insoles (Currex RunPro).  But if it keeps me running injury free I did the right thing right?

2019-04-22 1:45 PM
in reply to: #5257948

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I have two pairs of running shoes that I alternate between for each run. They aren’t specific for certain types of runs though. I find that it helps a little with leg issues. But, you’re right—sometimes you end up replacing multiple pairs of shoes relatively quickly, which adds up!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7779 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 939 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa