BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-05-08 11:42 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open

Just last night - ran my fastest 5 mile workout in a long time, and very consistently mile 1 - mile 5.  All I could think about was a tallboy NEIPA when I got home.

Instead I had water.  Even settled onto the couch later in the evening, all I wanted was water.  I am very happy for this body response!

2019-05-08 1:04 PM
in reply to: #5258533

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Bike today. Main set was 2x20’ @90%FTP, which was rough, given that my FTP went up 30 watts recently (a good thing, but now all my workouts are much harder!!).
2019-05-08 2:01 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Swim workout today. It's nice when the training plan agrees with the weather - it's a rainy day in MN.

400m warmup
90sec rest
10x100m with last 25m very hard; 45sec rest between. Average pace 1:38/100m, with last set the fastest at 1:35
2min rest
5x100m with 15sec rest between. Average pace 1:45/100m
2min rest
6x100m breathe every 7 strokes. Average pace 1:54/100m
1min rest
500m cool down

Appears I'm not the only one that fell into the "I get a lot of activity so a few beers again tonight is fine" mode. Glad we're talking about it. It may not seem like it, but I'm sure my sleep and recovery was impacted. And probably more than I estimate.

Have a great day! Remember to mail out your Mothers Day card ASAP if that's your game.
2019-05-09 6:06 AM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Master
brummie land

This was my BOW:

Image result for peaky blinders ale

Peaky Blinders is the drama set in Birmingham and this brewery have made an ale based on the programme: minus the razor blades! 

Etymology. The popular origin of the name Peaky Blinder is said to be derived from the practice of gang members stitching disposable razor blades into the peaks of their flat caps which could then be used as weapons. ... He says the popular usage of "peaky" at the time referred to any flat cap with a peak.

2019-05-09 7:00 AM
in reply to: #5258546

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Early 30’ run to beat the coming rain. I had forgotten how many people just let their dogs roam free in the morning around here. Only one nasty incident, but it was with a dog that’s owner described the breed to me as a German Shepherd on crack (I’ve forgotten the name).

Swim on tap later this afternoon. Ladders!

Anyone racing this weekend?!?
2019-05-09 10:36 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Sorry its been a while between posts. We have become crazy busy at work so my time wasting online has greatly dropped off.

Since my last post, I've been back to the cardiologist, and the good news is I've been moved from 'best take it easy' to 'you should do some exercise, have you heard of interval training' group. So the low heart rate purgatory is over, and I'm mostly back in business.

There is still no answer for a cause of my chest tightness (although it seems to be happening less now), but the Dr is very sure it's not cardiovascular, and in my ct scan they looked at the rest of my chest, and cant find anything else out of place (lungs etc)

Unfortunately I'm not totally out of the woods, my BP was a bit high for someone my age. But all the tests have come back clean so it looks like just a case of better diet and less weight required.

So, I've been back in multisport mode this week. 1 run, 2 bike commutes and a short lunchtime swim. It feels much better than where I was a couple of months ago.

This weekend I've got a couple of runs scheduled, and weekend 2 of building the little boys birthday present (A swing/slide fort thing in the back yard) Its also Mothers day in NZ. So between my mum, Mrs B.F., the MiL, Mrs BFs grandmothers, we've got 3 separate mothers day events to do, which will be a workout in itself.

Have a good weekend everyone.

2019-05-09 10:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by riles32807

Originally posted by sappho96

It's a thing!

https://www.verywellfit.com/races-to-run-at-night-4146450

That's about what I found too, they're either 5k/10k fun runs later in the year which doesn't help John. =/

I walked a 5k 'night run' with my father in law a couple of months back.

https://www.relive.cc/view/g31618897066

It made for a unique race, bu probably a bit far for you to come for a 5km tho.

There's a night HM a 3 hour drive from me next summer too https://www.werunthenight.co.nz/I believe that this year the course acutally went through a pubs beer garden, with a cider available per lap... Its on the todo list for one day.

Edited by bulfrog 2019-05-09 10:52 PM
2019-05-10 7:56 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Hi Guys, Sorry its been a while between posts. We have become crazy busy at work so my time wasting online has greatly dropped off. Since my last post, I've been back to the cardiologist, and the good news is I've been moved from 'best take it easy' to 'you should do some exercise, have you heard of interval training' group. So the low heart rate purgatory is over, and I'm mostly back in business. There is still no answer for a cause of my chest tightness (although it seems to be happening less now), but the Dr is very sure it's not cardiovascular, and in my ct scan they looked at the rest of my chest, and cant find anything else out of place (lungs etc) Unfortunately I'm not totally out of the woods, my BP was a bit high for someone my age. But all the tests have come back clean so it looks like just a case of better diet and less weight required. So, I've been back in multisport mode this week. 1 run, 2 bike commutes and a short lunchtime swim. It feels much better than where I was a couple of months ago. This weekend I've got a couple of runs scheduled, and weekend 2 of building the little boys birthday present (A swing/slide fort thing in the back yard) Its also Mothers day in NZ. So between my mum, Mrs B.F., the MiL, Mrs BFs grandmothers, we've got 3 separate mothers day events to do, which will be a workout in itself. Have a good weekend everyone.

Good news, Andrew.  Hopefully the mystery just goes away just as it came on.  Or you'll just get used to it and not worry about it anymore.

I have a good week going so far - two hard trainer rides, some good strength sessions, and outdoor pool swim (YAY!!) and went to Bikram this morning.  Did a day trip flying to Hartford yesterday so that shot yesterday but got in a bunch of walking through the airports and our massive office up there.  Spin class tomorrow, the Mother's Day TBD depending on what the wife wants to do first thing in the morning.

2019-05-10 7:58 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Swimming scholarship maybe?

D3, so no $$ for athletics, though I understand they can influence acceptance and academic merit a bit.

2019-05-10 8:00 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew, that's great to hear! So glad it's not anything to be concerned about. I'm sure the high BP is somehow related to not working out as much as you usually do and will fix itself in no time.
2019-05-10 8:09 AM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew—great to hear! I know you’d rather know what caused it, but it is good to hear it is going away anyway. A few years ago my dad ended up in hospital for two solid weeks with something the doctors never could figure out. I felt like we were on an episode of House. He had every diagnosis, treatment and test under the sun and they never did figure it out. He is better now, but we never figured out what it was, even after two weeks later at the Mayo Clinic. Sometimes human bodies are just weird.

2019-05-10 8:53 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Andrew - fantastic news on the all clear!  Hope you get it figured out still, and hope even more it goes away on it's own.

Before I was into triathlon and "just" a runner, I missed what was to be my 2nd 10k with what drs could only guess was 'some kind of virus'.  My muscles, every single one in my body, kept getting more sore and tight.  Like think day after a hard weightlifting session, only without the weightlifting session - and over my whole body.  Got worse over the course of a couple weeks to the point where it was hard to get out of bed etc.  Scary as hell because of the similarities to debilitating neuromuscular disorders, but very fast onset.  

Then, within a week or so more, it subsided and I got back to life.  The human body is amazing in that it can battle through some serious stuff; but also so puzzling when you have no idea what that stuff actaully is...

2019-05-10 12:40 PM
in reply to: #5258610

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
2:20 on the trainer. I’m getting really tired of riding inside. The weather here just hasn’t warmed up this year. It is a major bummer.

A new discovery is that one SHOULD NOT drink OJ as fuel on a long ride. Total of three pints of OJ over the course of the ride and now my stomach is feeling pretty rough! Surprise, surprise!! I’m not eating added sugar right now, so that is why the oj.
2019-05-10 12:42 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove 2:20 on the trainer. I’m getting really tired of riding inside. The weather here just hasn’t warmed up this year. It is a major bummer. A new discovery is that one SHOULD NOT drink OJ as fuel on a long ride. Total of three pints of OJ over the course of the ride and now my stomach is feeling pretty rough! Surprise, surprise!! I’m not eating added sugar right now, so that is why the oj.

OMG Gretchen I'd be vomiting pure orange colored acid!!  YUCK!

Can you get away with the natural maple syrup/sea salt/water combo?  Or does the maple count as added sugar?

2019-05-10 2:02 PM
in reply to: #5258627

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
That isn’t allowed either.

Last time I did this auger thing, I used apple cider and that worked well. I just didn’t have any today (poor planning!).
2019-05-10 2:29 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove That isn’t allowed either. Last time I did this auger thing, I used apple cider and that worked well. I just didn’t have any today (poor planning!).

Ugh!  No maple!  It's a hippie racer staple

What are you supposed to do fuel with quinoa?  Or does that still count as a grain....  Whole bananas should be ok though right?

2019-05-10 3:08 PM
in reply to: #5258639

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Ha!! Whole bananas would totally work. And...I have a whole bunch. I just didn’t think about it!
2019-05-11 9:16 AM
in reply to: #5258644

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
OJ. Sounds awful. I once learned that a can of tuna an hour before a run is something to never repeat.

Great swim workout this morning.

400m warmup
2min rest
1x750m (1:50 pace)
30sec rest
1x750m (1:47 pace)
60sec rest
6x50m kick with board, 15sec rest between
2min rest
5x100m breathe every 5, 7, 7, 7, 7 strokes, 15sec rest between
2min rest
500m cool down

I was planning to do 1x750m followed by 1x650m. At 600m I told myself I can do 750m again, so I did. To my surprise, the first 750m set was my fastest 750m ever, and the 2nd one was faster!

And somewhere in there my watch tells me was my fastest 400m ever.

Treated myself to two swordfish steaks after that workout. One tonight and one tomorrow. Now for some outside work the rest of the day.

Have a great weekend, and Happy Mother's Day!
2019-05-11 2:01 PM
in reply to: #5258660

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:30/30' brick with a tempo ride followed by a short run...fueled by a banana today! Not nearly as rough as the oj experiment of yesterday! And tomorrow is a rest day, which I've been looking forward to.
2019-05-12 10:04 AM

User image

When I was a kid I drank orange juice like it was water, now I don't think I could drink more than a cup or two. (Best Ralph Wiggum voice) "Go banana!!"

Andrew, good to hear your cleared to get back to training!

Theres a gym with a pool sort of half way between my work & home. I've been meaning to check it out for a while. Nice facility, but it's the first time I've swam in a 25 (meter? yard?) pool. It feelt like doing laps in a bathtub! I did about 1800 I think, any tips on counting laps?
2019-05-12 4:47 PM
in reply to: #5258661

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Another Sunday, another Brick. My 2nd overall.

Bike - 1:33:27, 28.53mi, 18.3mph average.

Run - 30:04, 3.91mi, 7:41 pace.

Last week in the Brick I felt early signs of cramping coming on during the run. Didn't feel that this week, perhaps increased water consumption before and during helped. I should also aim for less coffee morning of.

With increased difficulty on workouts the last few weeks, and as they continue, I'll have some advice / guidance questions coming up as I approach my first tri. I'm sure this group will help.

2019-05-13 8:04 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Originally posted by riles32807

It feelt like doing laps in a bathtub! I did about 1800 I think, any tips on counting laps?

All my swimming has been in a 25 m/yd(?) pool, so I'm just used to that many turns. I've always wondered if my pace would be faster without all those turns. I purposely don't give a good hard push-off, telling myself I'm practicing freestyle, not turn efficiency.

Anyway, as for counting laps. It's goofy, but it works for me. I've always been a sports fan, and for whatever reason, I can remember jersey and car numbers. So when I hit one lap, I think of a NASCAR driver in car #1 or a guy who wore #1 (or #11 if I need to) - either current or all the way back to childhood. Then on lap 2, do the same. I don't think of that person the entire way, but when I get to the end of the next lap, I ask myself who did I just think of, recall that number, and then I know where I'm at.

You could also do letters, but need to know what letter you're stopping at. First lap, think of someone you know (or a food, or whatever) that starts with A. Then B, etc.
2019-05-13 8:24 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Good morning all-

I have my first question on advice. As training has progressed, I'm feeling comfortable with the three disciplines, but not the fastest of course. Based on the workouts, I'm confident I can finish, but pacing will be rather unknown without experience.

So first up, my swim. On Saturday, I had a good endurance workout. Started with a 400m medley warmup, then 2min rest. Then I did 2x750m with a 30sec rest between, first one at 1:50 pace and 2nd at 1:47 pace. I know I have to do a 1x1500m coming up, if not twice before the race.

QUESTION: What pace should I expect for the 1x1500m, and what pace should I expect on race day for the 1500m swim?

A few notes on the swims:
1. Saturday's workout was with really no taper - recent workouts have been strenuous but good, and also haven't had a "true" off day in 11 days. True is in quotes because on Monday, May 6 I did strength work but no cardio.
2. I swim in a 25 m/yd pool. Any adjustment to pace without so many turns on race day?
3. I have swam in open water probably 10 times, the last few summers for some training. But not yet this year and not ever in a crowd. And not ever in a wetsuit, which I'm not sure if I will need on race day.
4. After the 2x750m, I'm good to go for the rest of the workout, and the Brick the next day. So I'm not killing myself at that rate.

Thank you!
2019-05-13 10:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Originally posted by rpaulson7

Good morning all-

I have my first question on advice. As training has progressed, I'm feeling comfortable with the three disciplines, but not the fastest of course. Based on the workouts, I'm confident I can finish, but pacing will be rather unknown without experience.

So first up, my swim. On Saturday, I had a good endurance workout. Started with a 400m medley warmup, then 2min rest. Then I did 2x750m with a 30sec rest between, first one at 1:50 pace and 2nd at 1:47 pace. I know I have to do a 1x1500m coming up, if not twice before the race.

QUESTION: What pace should I expect for the 1x1500m, and what pace should I expect on race day for the 1500m swim?

A few notes on the swims:
1. Saturday's workout was with really no taper - recent workouts have been strenuous but good, and also haven't had a "true" off day in 11 days. True is in quotes because on Monday, May 6 I did strength work but no cardio.
2. I swim in a 25 m/yd pool. Any adjustment to pace without so many turns on race day?
3. I have swam in open water probably 10 times, the last few summers for some training. But not yet this year and not ever in a crowd. And not ever in a wetsuit, which I'm not sure if I will need on race day.
4. After the 2x750m, I'm good to go for the rest of the workout, and the Brick the next day. So I'm not killing myself at that rate.

Thank you!

I have no tips on pacing...I'm terrible at it. My basic method is to swim hard, bike as hard as I can, and then hold on for the run, even if it ends up being a walk/stagger because I over clocked it on the bike. I'm not a runner, so I pretty much always figure that if I make it through the run, I'm happy. This is why I now have a coach!

Swim taper isn't that important, at least for me. My last two HIMs have had a decently hard, but short (30') swim workout about three days out. Bike and run tapers are much more important.

From what I've experienced, my ows swim times are 10-15" slower per 100 than in the pool. I'm generally slower in ows than in the pool for three internal reasons reasons...1.) I'm terrible at sighting, so I'm often swimming extra, 2.) no push off the wall, and 3.) no rest. Then, there are always the externals like wind, chop, sun, course accuracy, etc.

I'd strongly encourage you to get in at least one ows in your wetsuit (if you are going to wear it during the race) before the race. The wetsuit is going to change your positioning, feel weird when you turn to breath, constrict your upper arm movements, and possibly (depending on how tight it is) constrict your chest, which some people have trouble with breathing after that. You do not want to find out you panic when your chest is constricted on race day! Give it a try before hand, just so you know what to expect. Remember, with race day adrenaline, everything is amplified and that mild discomfort you feel during practice can really become debilitating in the water.

If this is your first race, I'd say just relax and enjoy the experience! You're guaranteed a PR for the distance! Good luck!
2019-05-13 10:17 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Nice VO2 max interval workout this morning. Take that "nice" with a grain of salt. It was excruciating, which I think is the point! I actually convinced my oxygen deprived brain that I hadn't completed the last set (did 4 sets of 4x3'), so 2' into the cool down I did an extra interval. ARGHHH!!!! Probably won't kill me in the long run, but man was it a tough interval!

Later this afternoon, 30' run, hopefully before it rains...again.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7844 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 944 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa