BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-05-13 10:56 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Originally posted by drfoodlove

My basic method is to swim hard, bike as hard as I can, and then hold on for the run

my ows swim times are 10-15" slower per 100 than in the pool.

get in at least one ows in your wetsuit

relax and enjoy the experience!

PR for the distance!

My take-aways above. Thanks drfl! Yes, fully planning on an open water swim in the wetsuit. I live in MN, and the lake water is not warm enough to swim in yet - it was 57F when I had my boat in the lake last week. Soon though.

2019-05-13 11:18 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

+1 to pretty much everything Gretchen just said.  You're going to want to run in to the water (unless its an open water start) like everyone else, and that's going to push your adrenaline even higher and its way too easy at that point to push the swim way too hard and then you realize how far the distance really is, start forgetting to sight, lose your breathing rhythm...  I'm terrible at swimming and horribly guilty of adrenaline fueled starts so have had more than one panic in the water situation.  And not even on my first race!  

My training plans have always tapered everything the week before race day with some extra rest days in there.  Its definitely most critical to the run, but for any of the disciplines there's one thing to remember - you can't gain fitness the week of the race.  Best is to just keep moving so your body remembers what to do, and practice your transitions!

Regarding planning pace for the swim - my time/100m in the pool has always translated fairly well to the tri swim leg (when I don't have to stop for a panic attack that is).  I've chalked it up to gaining speed from the wetsuit making up for losing speed from not pushing off the walls.  An yeah, I try not t push off the wall too much when I'm in the pool.

2019-05-13 2:03 PM
in reply to: firebert

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Originally posted by firebert

easy at that point to push the swim way too hard

I need to be careful of this. My last two marathons I have started out too fast. I'd rather come out of the water last in the wave and run a 7:45 pace 10k than crush the swim and walk the last 3 miles. Easier said than done though. Need to maintain the muscle memory of a nice swim pace.

The tri I'm doing has a group swim and Q&A session at the race location on the Tuesday before the race. Definitely going to attend that and make it my last swim before, while also getting the opportunity to learn about specifics. It's about an hour and a half drive back home afterward, but should be totally worth it.

I love the taper - so much free time!!

2019-05-14 10:13 AM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

That's cool, counting laps using jersey numbers. I've heard in memory competitions they use similar associations.

For pacing, I hold the distance in my head and try to go a little harder than the RPE I know I can do for that distance. Hopefully that makes sense. Usually about 1/2 way I'll sort of reassess if I can push harder or need to slow down. Then again the swim is my worst discipline. =)

If a wetsuit is a possibility, definitely get in the water with it. Practice putting it on and taking it off. There's a lot of YouTube videos if you've never worn one before. Another tip I've read is to soak it in the shower or tub about 10-15 min. a couple of days before your going to wear it, if its been sitting for a while. Once they dry out they get stiffer & more brittle which can make getting them on harder.

I don't remember which podcast I heard ths on, "Nobody has ever won a triathlon in the swim, but plenty of people have lost it." When in doubt, its probably better to go a little easy in the swim.

You might want to practice entertaining and exiting the water too. The change from horizontal to vertical can be disorienting and make you dizzy. For a beach exit, I'll usually swim until I have to shorten my stroke to keep from dragging my hands on the bottom.

In transition, less is more.

Finally, it sounds like you're ready to compete vs just finishing. Make sure you get out of your own head for a little and enjoy the race, the venue, the spectators.
2019-05-14 1:38 PM
in reply to: #5258680

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Long run this morning and then a 2200yd swim at noon. I swear it was like swimming in a washing machine...a warm washing machine. It is summer, so the pool will now get warmer and warmer as the old lady water walkers complain it is too cold until the masters team finslly revolts. It is fun. Add to that the fact that there were about 40 fourth graders jumping in the pool repeatedly, it was seriously like a washing machine. Ows training!
2019-05-14 2:33 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodloveAdd to that the fact that there were about 40 fourth graders jumping in the pool repeatedly, it was seriously like a washing machine. Ows training!

HAHAHA!  Hey OWS training is hard to schedule so you gotta get it wherever and whenever you can!

2019-05-14 3:27 PM
in reply to: #5258757

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I feel like you all will appreciate this.

I went to the grocery store after my swim (read, ravenously hungry). I impulse bought a whole, frozen turkey (that I barely know how to cook!)! The HIM training hungries have set in!!

2019-05-15 6:05 AM

User image

I went to the grocery store after my swim (read, ravenously hungry). I impulse bought a whole, frozen turkey (that I barely know how to cook!)! The HIM training hungries have set in!!

Now that's funny. Your going to need to let it thaw, in the refrigerator, 24 hours per each 5 lb. The easiest/best way I've found is to swing back by the grocery store and look for oven bags. They basically steam the turkey in it's own juices. I really don't think you can go wrong like that and it makes clean up a lot easier. For seasoning, I haven't hit on anything worth remembering yet.
2019-05-15 6:13 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Originally posted by riles32807

look for oven bags. They basically steam the turkey in it's own juices.

A second vote for the oven bags. I was skeptical the first time I saw one, but now I use them every time. So much more moist.

Seasoning a turkey always seems funny to me, since I don't eat the skin. Soooo, I haven't hit on anything good either.
2019-05-15 9:52 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland

Haha! I call them swim munchies. I don't know what it is about swimming, but it makes me SO MUCH HUNGRIER. If I'm just running or something I'm typically fine.
2019-05-15 10:00 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hey all! I've been off the grid but am getting back into my routine. Swam 2000 yds yesterday morning and had football last night (I count it ).

As for the swim, I also pay attention to how I feel more than my pace. The adrenaline from a race always makes me compete harder, so everything is faster than I expect it to be. That being said, one way to get an idea of what your time will be is to do a critical pace test. Here's an article that explains it https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/how-to-use-critical-swim-speed-tr... My swim team does these, although we do a 200 and 500. This will give you a better idea of what your 100 pace should be.

When we do them, we do 4x50 before each time trial hitting what we believe our critical pace will be. That way when you do the actual time trial you will be used to that pace.

2019-05-15 10:03 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh and I'm horrible at counting laps. I try to break it down by 100 to make it a little simpler. Basically each time I flip I think about what distance I'm on, but sometimes I just wish someone was on the side with a counter so I didn't have to think about it.
2019-05-15 10:45 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

If you have nice lane ropes I move one as if on an abacus each 100. i just about manage to count to four!!!

Image result for lane ropes

2019-05-15 1:31 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Oh another option is to bring some dice, or poker chips. The only problem is you need to stop to move them over or turn the die.
2019-05-15 2:48 PM
in reply to: #5258765

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Counting: I can manage to count laps for the distance. My issue is remembering how many units I've done in the set (i.e., I can count to for for a 100, but I have trouble remembering where I am in a 10x100 set). I move my shoes in different patterns to keep track of where I am in the set. If it is a long set, I'll move the shoes each five or ten, depending. For example, yesterday I did 20x50. I moved one shoe a quarter turn evey five 100s. As I write this out, it all seems complicated, but that's how I do it.

Today 1:15 tempo ride in the morning and then 2600yd of swimming this afternoon. Both done with major sinus headache, which made them both much less fun than normal.
2019-05-15 10:58 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
So,

I celebrated being cleared to train again by picking up one of the many bugs that the little man brings home from kindy.

So, a good week last week, followed by nothing this week, instead of taking a step forwards, as planned. Hopefully I'll be good to go by the weekend. But if not, I do know that long term it's better to sit out the flu and get back to 100% than try to push through and be damaged goods for a long time.

Damn, this year just keeps on frustrating.

2019-05-16 8:39 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by bulfrog

So,

I celebrated being cleared to train again by picking up one of the many bugs that the little man brings home from kindy.

So, a good week last week, followed by nothing this week, instead of taking a step forwards, as planned. Hopefully I'll be good to go by the weekend. But if not, I do know that long term it's better to sit out the flu and get back to 100% than try to push through and be damaged goods for a long time.

Damn, this year just keeps on frustrating.

Little cesspools!
2019-05-16 8:54 AM
in reply to: #5258804

User image

DeLand, Florida
Andrew - sorry you're sick... it's really not starting up to be a good year so far for you or Gretchen is it....

The good news is, the germs coming home from school slow way down once they're a little older. My daughter is 9 and hasn't gotten me sick at all this year, last year maybe only once? It'll get better, which of course does you a fat lot of good right now...
2019-05-16 2:28 PM
in reply to: #5258814

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Andrew—sorry to hear you are sick. It sucks. Sounds like you have the right end of the stick though. Don’t rush the recovery process, you’ll regret it!!

40’ run this morning followed by a 2200yd swim this afternoon that I absolutely nailed. Now I’m off to give blood and then my wife is taking me out to dinner (with drinks, lots of drinks) to celebrate my promotion to Full Professor (the highest academic rank), which was ratified by the BOT today!
2019-05-16 7:59 PM
in reply to: #5258826

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Beers of the night: first two are local

17th St Smoked Amber Ale from Big Muddy Brewery—this is one of my favorites on tap at 17th St BBQ, but bottled from the store it is oversmoked for my taste (I drank it anyway!)

Saint Nicholas Brewery Porter—actually kind of tasteless, but a decent beer to have with dinner

Deep Soul by Finch Brewing Co. of Chicago. 11.7% IBU 55–a little much on the bourbon barrel aging (aged in Woodford Reserve barrels), but otherwise good

And on that note...I'm going to bed ans I'm going to sleep in, because my coach gave me a rest day tomorrow to recover from my celebrations!!
2019-05-17 9:43 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove promotion to Full Professor (the highest academic rank), which was ratified by the BOT today!

YAY!!!!!  CONGRATS Gretchen!!!  

2019-05-17 9:44 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by drfoodlove Beers of the night: first two are local 17th St Smoked Amber Ale from Big Muddy Brewery—this is one of my favorites on tap at 17th St BBQ, but bottled from the store it is oversmoked for my taste (I drank it anyway!

A smoked amber ale!  I could absolutely love that!  I love the mix of a common style (amber) with the old world tradition of smoked malt.

2019-05-17 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Oh another option is to bring some dice, or poker chips. The only problem is you need to stop to move them over or turn the die.

I got a Garmin Fenix 2 in 2014 and updated it with a Forerunner 920 and it does all the heavy mental math for me. 

2019-05-17 12:36 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hey, all.  Traveled this week and hit the hotel gym at o'dark thirty each morning.  Got in another short trainer session at lunch today and am heading over to the outdoor pool later this afternoon to hopefully swim some depending on how crowded it is.

2019-05-17 1:17 PM

User image

Hmm, just realized I have a sprint in two weeks, maybe I should sign up for it...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7787 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 940 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa