BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-07-22 8:26 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open

Hi, all.  Been off the grid a while vacationing in Florida (Singer Island and Orlando) and then traveling for work, but have gotten in a few good weeks of what passes for training for me these days.  Averaging around 3+ hours on the bike and about 3500 yards in the pool, plus a whole bunch of strength training and yoga sessions.  We're calling it transition from Fat Thor to Captain America. 

2019-07-22 8:29 AM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by rpaulson7 Tri 2 within 2 weeks done. Olympic distance at Life Time Minneapolis Tri. Swam faster by 1 second per 100yd, biked faster by 1.4mph, and ran faster by 31 seconds per mile. It was a good day, and I knew it the whole way. I kinda can't wait to wrap up marathon training in October and get back into the Tri training for next summer. Finished 138 out of 541 and in AG Men 40-44 was 13 of 43.

Awesome work - love the Oly distance.

2019-07-22 8:31 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Lots of indoor cycling in my future means I need some accurate heart rate zones to train properly. So, did a LT test workout last night. Man that's hard. Really, really hard. Embrace the suckage.

I really, really, really hate those.  The problem with them is you need to train just to be able to physically survive them LOL.

2019-07-22 12:54 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by drfoodlove Rest day here for me. I'll be driving up to my folk's house a little later this afternoon (~2hrs). Dad is having surgery to set his leg bones on Tuesday. He should be able to come home after that. He has been in a nursing home since he left the hospital 10 days ago. That sure is depressing! Keep active and healthy, you don't want to end up there!

Seconded by me! My ma's wrist broke so badly they couldn't put a metal plate in. Whenever your workouts seem hard, just remember we are benefiting ourselves for the future! Oh and drink milk! Good luck to your da tomorrow!

Image result for got milk mariska

2019-07-24 7:29 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
At the end of my long run on Sunday, I stepped on a rock. Turned my left ankle, and tweaked something in my foot. It hurt the rest of the day Sunday, but I think it's really improving. But still feel a twinge once in a while when I twist or turn on it.

Took Monday as an an off day - which was the plan anyway. Had my wife mow the lawn for me so I could give it some rest.

Tuesday, had to get some activity, so went to the pool for a swim. It was interesting, not being on a tri-training plan and being able to just go swim for some activity. I decided to do endurance based rather than strength, and figured after my 400m warmup I'd do a 1000m, a bit of a rest, and then another 500m or so. But nothing structured as if I were training. I started counting laps (not as systematic as I did in training). Lost count around lap 3 or 4 - and found out I didn't care! This would have really bothered me in a structured workout. So, I decided I would swim laps as long as I could without taking a break. Swam for a while, and caught the clock on the wall - it was 11:10am. Kept going. Saw the clock again about 11:20am. Told myself I'd try to go to 11:30am. Saw the clock at 11:29am, kept going. Finally saw it again at 11:31am and decided it was my last lap.

In the end, I swam 2000m uninterrupted in just under 40 minutes. My longest continuous swim ever by 500m, and I basically stopped because I was bored, and meeting a friend for lunch. I was excited to see 2000m, I didn't look at my watch even once in that time. But of course my immediate 2nd thought was "shoot I should have went 50m more to get over 40 minutes."

Going to run some miles today and see how the left foot feels.

Work hard today!

RP
2019-07-24 10:30 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi guys,

I've been reacquainting myself with indoor cycling the last few weeks.
Since my last post my workouts have been,

1000m swim,
Cycling cruise intervals
long (85min) run
Cycling, Z2, 45 min
Cycling Intervals, 10 x 1min Z5, 2 minZ1
1000m swim
Cycling, Z2, 30min

It's a bit of a change from running and a little bit of bike commuting. But overall the spin bike looks to be a good idea. It is genuinely almost silent, so I've been able to be on the bike in the evenings once the little man has gone to bed. Which is a much better use of time than being on the sofa. And there are going to be a lot of evenings on the bike over the next 4-5 months to get me back into some sort of bike shape.

Hope you all are having a good week.

2019-07-26 6:20 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hello, everyone.  Getting lots of strength work in this week plus 4K in the pool overall and I'm hoping for a 25 mile-ish ride tomorrow. 

@Andrew - glad the spin bike is working out for you.  And the quieter aspect of it is a big benefit over a trainer for sure.  Even my Road Machine can get loud under duress.  Enjoy your indoor suffering!!

2019-07-26 7:00 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by rpaulson7 At the end of my long run on Sunday, I stepped on a rock. Turned my left ankle, and tweaked something in my foot. It hurt the rest of the day Sunday, but I think it's really improving. But still feel a twinge once in a while when I twist or turn on it. Took Monday as an an off day - which was the plan anyway. Had my wife mow the lawn for me so I could give it some rest. Tuesday, had to get some activity, so went to the pool for a swim. It was interesting, not being on a tri-training plan and being able to just go swim for some activity. I decided to do endurance based rather than strength, and figured after my 400m warmup I'd do a 1000m, a bit of a rest, and then another 500m or so. But nothing structured as if I were training. I started counting laps (not as systematic as I did in training). Lost count around lap 3 or 4 - and found out I didn't care! This would have really bothered me in a structured workout. So, I decided I would swim laps as long as I could without taking a break. Swam for a while, and caught the clock on the wall - it was 11:10am. Kept going. Saw the clock again about 11:20am. Told myself I'd try to go to 11:30am. Saw the clock at 11:29am, kept going. Finally saw it again at 11:31am and decided it was my last lap. In the end, I swam 2000m uninterrupted in just under 40 minutes. My longest continuous swim ever by 500m, and I basically stopped because I was bored, and meeting a friend for lunch. I was excited to see 2000m, I didn't look at my watch even once in that time. But of course my immediate 2nd thought was "shoot I should have went 50m more to get over 40 minutes." Going to run some miles today and see how the left foot feels. Work hard today! RP

Ryan, I haven't done 2K non-stop in a pool (or anywhere, for that matter) since 2010,  and then it was just to prove I could do it.  Your resistance to clawing your eyes out from boredom is impressive.

2019-07-30 5:29 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Hey all, I'm still here!

Glad to see everyone still plugging at it.

Gretchen, sounds like the training s coming along well.

Rpaulson, nice job on your race!

Been just feeling pretty bla about my training lately. I think this achilles problem I've been dealing with has me a bit down. I was really enjoying my run fitness before this issue. About 3 weeks off from running, and babying it by wrapping it with an ace bandage. It's not 100% but feeling much better. I ran an easy 45 min today with it wrapped. Toward the end of the run I was feeling it just a bit, but now its feeling pretty good.

Oh, and new shoes!

As I'm going into my training plan for my first Oly in September, I'm hoping I can thread the needle between injury & good training. I'm thinking I should do a LT test on the bike. I want to do one for the run too, but I don't think that's a good idea yet.
2019-08-01 12:49 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by riles32807  I'm thinking I should do a LT test on the bike. I want to do one for the run too, but I don't think that's a good idea yet.

I would be very careful about and all-out effort while injured.  It's one thing if you're just getting to the finish line of an A race, but I would do a hard look at the value of that test vs. the risk of injury.  Do you think your training zones are wrong?

<edit> Oh, yeah, almost forgot...cool shoes. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2019-08-01 12:50 PM
2019-08-01 2:20 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Hi All,

Been away from the forums for the last couple of weeks, but still training hard! My Dad had surgery on Tuesday to fix his leg and all went well. I spent about 10 days at my parents' house helping getting it ready for him to come home from the nursing home he was in post-accident, but pre-surgery and then installing things like grab bars in the bathroom and ramps into/out of the house. I arrived home Tuesday afternoon exhausted and barely able to function at all. Two days of solid sleep have helped, but I'm on the last big week of training before my HIM and I'm ready for taper!!

I hope all is well with everyone else!

2019-08-01 5:17 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Hi Guys,

Riles, I agree, pushing yourself for a LT test running, coming off an injury is a recipe for disaster. Rather than an LT test, go to the McMillan running page, and use a recent race time (or estimate one based on a hard run) to get some pace zones. That will be good enough for now. - and of course, nice shoes. New gear day is always fun.

Gretchen, Hope you enjoy the last big week, and survive the taper madness. Its an exciting time, all your hard work over the last few months is about to pay off.

Ryan, how is the twisted ankle? Last year I rolled my ankle on a rock when running (first run in a new pair of shoes btw) and ended up with an avulsion fracture on the side of my foot. Months of no running, and I'm still wearing a compression bandage on long runs 13 months later... Hopefully you have better news than I did.

Me, Last week, was my biggest training week since Ironman 2017, at 5 1/2 hours. So I feel that I'm definitely heading back in the right direction. Adding indoor cycling to my program has done wonders for consistency. (no surprises there) I really should have done it months ago... ahh well such is life.

This week has been a bit slow, as I was overseas for work again. But back now, and looking forwards to a big weekend to get back up to that 5-6 hours for the week mark.

Have a good weekend every one.
2019-08-03 11:41 AM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
And with this morning's 2:15/45' brick race sim, taper has arrived! Ride went well. Run was a little tough, but that was mostly last night's chinese food trying to make a reappearance and the dog being a butt. Overall, I'm super happy with the training quality and quantity I've put in for this race. Now...let's hope it all pays off!!
2019-08-03 6:46 PM

User image

Yah, no testing for me until I'm 100%. For now I'm doing all my running in zone 2 based off the 220-age formula; nice and easy. Biking and swimming don't seem to bother it at all.
2019-08-05 4:36 PM
in reply to: #5261501

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Taper Day 1: 60’ bike ride, 30’ run, 45’ ows...I think I’m doing something wrong!!! Okay, so coach actually tries to replace the run with the swim, but I’d already done it by that point, so it stayed in. All of my workouts for the rest of taper (two weeks) are posted and I swear I’m gonna have to get a part time job to fill my time. Training schedule looks so empty!!!
2019-08-06 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Had a great training week last week, most volume in quite a while.  I think I'm going to sign up for an aquabike in September, Oly distance.  My daughter is going to do a sprint tri the same day/venue so we'll more or less finish up the same time and get home in time to watch the NFL season kick off.  GO RAVENS!!!

This morning was a VO2 max workout at 6 AM on the bike - those suck and I'm terrible at them in the morning.  First three intervals were OK, fourth was ugly, final was a disaster and I just switched to sweet spot so I didn't pass out.  Swim later today.

2019-08-06 8:10 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Originally posted by bulfrog

Ryan, how is the twisted ankle? Last year I rolled my ankle on a rock when running (first run in a new pair of shoes btw) and ended up with an avulsion fracture on the side of my foot. Months of no running, and I'm still wearing a compression bandage on long runs 13 months later... Hopefully you have better news than I did.

The foot is doing well, thank you for asking. I've been doing speed work, long runs, and strides with no issue.

Probably the most pain in the feet came over this last weekend. We went on a camping trip with 6 families - 12 adults and 15 kids. Spent a lot of time at the water park. Saturday morning I did a 9-mile hills run around the campground, then I went off the diving springboard probably close to 75 times. At age 43, I finally got brave enough to try a dive from a board, and then did a bunch more. Lots of can openers for splash effect also. By the end of the day, the bottoms of my feet felt like every tendon was stretched about an inch longer. The body was sore in strange places too.

Have a great week everyone!

RP
2019-08-08 8:49 AM
in reply to: #5261545

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
4000yds in the pool today! I am almost positive that is my longest swim ever. Heck, it is further than some months I’ve totaled while tri training! I felt awesome during it and had it been any week besides taper, I would have kept going to hit the magical 2.4mi number (would have been an extra 225yds), but I was good and only did what coach told me to do.

Now, I have to supervise my contractor (if he ever shows up). Yesterday they put on a new roof and one of the guys fell through my ceiling...sigh. More remodeling!
2019-08-09 4:16 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Eek! Good luck Gretchen! Managed 1020m swim today: slowly building the stamina again; and 7 of 8 planned commutes

How is everyone else doing?

Tonight's BOW is the trusted: 

Image result for stella artois

Any good BOW's from the other side of the pond?

2019-08-11 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Hello, all.  Got in 36 miles yesterday, perfect weather for biking.  We then went and had lunch at the Guinness Brewery.  It was awesome.  I had their IPA - yes Guinness makes an IPA.  Amongst other beers I didn't know they made.  Very cool experience, and the food was incredible.

https://www.guinnessbrewerybaltimore.com/

Edited by jmhpsu93 2019-08-11 6:51 AM
2019-08-11 7:51 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Wow! That looks amazing! In England Guinness is associated with rugby union, so with the World Cup next month I think there will be a few pints of the black velvet consumed!

Will anyone be watching the rugby in the states? USA are in the same group as England! Also are certain drinks linked with certain sports?

2019-08-12 6:10 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sappho96

Wow! That looks amazing! In England Guinness is associated with rugby union, so with the World Cup next month I think there will be a few pints of the black velvet consumed!

Will anyone be watching the rugby in the states? USA are in the same group as England! Also are certain drinks linked with certain sports?

I doubt most people in the US have ever even seen a rugby match.  I've watched a few as I find the athleticism really impressive, but I wouldn't even know where on TV to watch it.  The Irish bars around here might have it on.

As for drinks linked to sports, you probably could match American football and hockey with cheap beer (and probably baseball, too).  College football would be really regional.  Not sure about NBA basketball.

2019-08-12 9:14 AM

User image

Shakopee, Minnesota
Last week or so of running:
Monday - Long run pace - 16 miles at 8:42 pace
Tuesday - recovery swim
Wednesday - 3x2 miles tempo pace. 7:21 pace per 2-mile tempo with 4 minutes recovery run between. 8.63mi total
Thursday - Long run pace - 9 miles at 8:43 pace
Friday to Sunday - rest, drink, visit with family days at uncle's cabin
Monday (today) - Long run pace - 17 miles at 8:37 pace. Fast finish - last mile at 7:34 pace

I've been doing my weekly long runs early Monday mornings for the last few weeks because of weekend plans getting in the way.

For this week, Tuesday recovery swim. Wednesday will be some more tempo pace, probably 2x3 miles. Thursday 10 miles at long run pace. Friday to Monday will be visiting my brother in Pierre, SD. Probably run across the Lake Oahe Dam, and some hill repeats near it. And some partying on the lake on his 1970s-era house boat.

Have a good week everyone! Looking forward to hearing about upcoming fall races.

RP
2019-08-14 4:11 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I doubt most people in the US have ever even seen a rugby match.  I've watched a few as I find the athleticism really impressive, but I wouldn't even know where on TV to watch it.  The Irish bars around here might have it on.

As for drinks linked to sports, you probably could match American football and hockey with cheap beer (and probably baseball, too).  College football would be really regional.  Not sure about NBA basketball.

USA are in the same group as England so should be good. And yes I should imagine the Irish bars will serve Guiness/show rugby! Also thanks for the lesson on beers/sports. Bizarrely in England you cannot drink as you watch football (but can buy and drink as long as you are not in view of the pitch!), but can when you watch rugby and cricket! In Scotland you cannot get a drink at all. Any peculiarities your side? 

2019-08-15 1:10 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

USA are in the same group as England so should be good. And yes I should imagine the Irish bars will serve Guiness/show rugby! Also thanks for the lesson on beers/sports. Bizarrely in England you cannot drink as you watch football (but can buy and drink as long as you are not in view of the pitch!), but can when you watch rugby and cricket! In Scotland you cannot get a drink at all. Any peculiarities your side? 

You can buy beer/alcohol at most sporting events in the US, at least professional.  College is kinda all over the place.  Some restrictions at events are usually that you can't bring in your own (those some might have done that once or twice), and there is usually a cut-off for sales like the end of halftime for the NFL, I think the 7th inning for baseball, end of the 3rd quarter for the NBA.  This is in theory to prevent fights and drunk driving, though I think the impact is probably negligible to preventing those things.

Alcohol sales in general are regulated very locally here in the US.  In my county most liquor stores are closed on Sundays but the next county over (5 miles away) they are not.  There are exceptions for pubs/restaurants that have a package store attached, plus a very few sites have seven day licenses.  Some counties are dry, meaning you can't buy alcohol, period (a Puritan thing, I believe).  Things are grandfathered in all over the place.  None of it makes ANY sense.

Edited by jmhpsu93 2019-08-15 1:13 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7761 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 939 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa