BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-09-05 11:07 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Im not tapering, But I will have a cookie in solidarity with everyone in the taper madness at the moment.

My week has been blah. A few days off due to sickness, only 1 short run with the dog, and 2 45 min easy spins. I'll do a harder bike tonight, and my normal long run followed by coffee on the weekend. Next week back into it properly, and another longest week since ironman to come.

Sounds like there's lots of racing this week. Good luck everyone, have a blast, and I look forwards to seeing some race reports celebrating all your success.

2019-09-06 7:05 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog Im not tapering, But I will have a cookie in solidarity with everyone in the taper madness at the moment. My week has been blah. A few days off due to sickness, only 1 short run with the dog, and 2 45 min easy spins. I'll do a harder bike tonight, and my normal long run followed by coffee on the weekend. Next week back into it properly, and another longest week since ironman to come. Sounds like there's lots of racing this week. Good luck everyone, have a blast, and I look forwards to seeing some race reports celebrating all your success.

It's in FULL force right now...sleeping kind of meh, a little achy, and I feel fat.  Well, fatter. 

Did 30 minutes on the bike yesterday, with about 10 minutes at race pace...felt SO easy.  I guess that's good, but also felt like I had just finished a warm up.  And today is an off day minus the walking around airports.

2019-09-06 11:25 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm going to try to hit the OWS at the race venue tonight when I get into town, but otherwise, pretty much an off day for me. Thought about a walk this morning to shake out the legs, but then I slept through that window of time. Usually I wake up at about 4am and just lay in bed until I decide I've had enough and go do a workout of some type. today, I actually slept until my alarm went off, which is a rarity for me!

Race day tomorrow--race info email last night says water temp is 80F and I swear I heard people screaming. I'm sure, however, that they will find some small area where the temp is 78F. I've done several races with this RD and I've seen him motoring around the lake on race morning taking various temp measurements. Three years ago the water felt like bath water and he managed to find someplace it was 77.9F.

Here we go again!

Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!!!!!
2019-09-06 12:43 PM
in reply to: #5262295

User image

, Vermont
Playing with Dorian here in Virginia. Tuesday or Wednesday (lose track of days with my schedule) got a 3 mile zone 2 run in. Yesterday and hour on the spin bike here at a Gold’s Gym in Richmond, VA followed by a 2 mile shake-out zone 2 jog.
I’m trying to reprogram my run and stay in zone two and it’s really a slog at the beginning. I’ve been told to be patient and in a couple months I’ll see the speed increase while staying in zone 2 which is the goal but man, it’s frustrating. Has anyone trained via hr? I’m really trying to stave off injury and build slowly from the bottom as I’m coming back from a lengthy injury recovery and haven’t officially raced in two years.
2019-09-06 12:44 PM
in reply to: #5262325

User image

, Vermont
Oh!! I had a Nutter Butter at 03:00 this morning in the crew lounge before my flight! Solidarity!
2019-09-06 12:45 PM
in reply to: #5262326

User image

, Vermont
Gretchen, crush your race tomorrow!! Whoop whoop!! Good vibes your way!

2019-09-06 12:46 PM
in reply to: #5262327

User image

, Vermont
Riles, glad to hear you’re okay!! Bike sales should be kicking with end-of-season deals.... ??
2019-09-07 10:02 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by riles32807  Sappho, thanks for reminding me the world cup is on! Most English or Irish pubs here will have the games on if the pub is any good. If they're not too busy most sports bars here can put a game on by request, though I think they may need to pay extra for the world cup, can't remember how that works. I played men's union for about 5 years then stopped after several dislocated shoulders. Coached high school for another 4 years. 

What position did you play? My dad played winger at school (being Welsh and fast) but got splatted by a front row in an adult game. Now he just watches! I support England in the rugby but da is Wales. 

Good luck to all racing

2019-09-07 2:11 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Good luck everyone racing this weekend!

Aviatrix, my experience with zone 2 running: definitely build your mileage & endurance with zone 2. Then the magic comes in the build & peak phases; do your long runs, warmups, cooldowns recovery and any part of a workout that doesn't have specific paceing in zone 2, the parts where you need to go hard, GO HARD.

I've been saving my pennies for a new bike, more likely a new used bike. I probably won't have enough for the end of season sales though.

Sappho, I started at wing, built my fitness, bulked up a bit, learned the game, and moved to flanker/hooker. Depending on what position we needed players for, I've also played outside center, lock, and even prop in one game. I know it's sort of a bandwagon, but New Zeland is my team. South Africa would be my 2nd favourite.
2019-09-08 4:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Aquabike done!  Will do an RR tomorrow but pleased with the results.  29-flat out of the water then about 1:08 for a 23+ mile ride.  I didn't quite have the top end on my bike but my taper was REALLY short and I think we walked about 10 miles yesterday around the college campus my daughter was visiting.  She was 6th out of the water on the sprint today.  My swim was about 2 minutes faster than my last race (five years ago LOL).

Felt great to let it rip, especially the second lap of the swim where I felt I was getting stronger as I went along.  I still sight like garbage, but at least I don't swim in circles anymore.

2019-09-08 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Playing with Dorian here in Virginia. Tuesday or Wednesday (lose track of days with my schedule) got a 3 mile zone 2 run in. Yesterday and hour on the spin bike here at a Gold’s Gym in Richmond, VA followed by a 2 mile shake-out zone 2 jog. I’m trying to reprogram my run and stay in zone two and it’s really a slog at the beginning. I’ve been told to be patient and in a couple months I’ll see the speed increase while staying in zone 2 which is the goal but man, it’s frustrating. Has anyone trained via hr? I’m really trying to stave off injury and build slowly from the bottom as I’m coming back from a lengthy injury recovery and haven’t officially raced in two years.

Zone 2 is SLLOOOOOWWWW.  Easy, conversational pace.  There's no need to worry about how fast you're going.  Even when I was running sub-22 5ks and 46ish 10ks, my zone 2 running was like 9:30 to 9:45, and if it was hot out 10+.

You won't get faster running by raising your floor, you have to raise the ceiling through very measured and deliberate interval work.  The bottom end will follow, but you're never going to race at z2, right?  Even IM running you'll be running borderline Z3.

2019-09-09 8:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I agree...Z2 is SLOW, but great for staving off injuries and building endurance. My coach even had me running some in Z1 at the beginning of the year, but not much, because it is hard to run in Z1--mostly just faster walking.

Mike--congrats on your race! Sounds like you had a great one...and had fun!

Race report: Maybe I should call this the race that wasn't...because I didn't finish. I woke up feeling just blah. Not bad, but not really right. I was having some stomach sourness. I had a slight headache. I just didn't feel great. I went to the venue anyway and went through all the motions of getting ready for a big race. I tried to get myself hyped up, but I just couldn't get there. I did the swim in okayish time, just a little slower than my goal and started the bike, but man the bike was where the wheels fell off my race. I pulled something in my right leg when I mounted because my foot wasn't clipped in and when I went to pedal it slipped off the pedal and slid along the ground to the point where I was doing pseudo splits with my bike between my legs and a runner having to jump out of the way because i'd slid into the running lane (Sprint and Oly going on simultaneously with HIM). Finally got myself on the bike, clipped in and moving forward only to find that said leg was not happy--neither was my stomach or my head. Mild headache now starting to pound whenever HR gets above 140. Leg hurts every downpedal and stomach is sour and not liking my Infinit mix. About mile 12, I was pretty sure I was gonna hurl, but I didn't. I wonder if I had, would I have felt better? Anyway, I made it to the first bike turn around and got some water on board. Water was better than infinit, but still made my stomach roil. The back of the first out and back was a lot better than the out, but still at about the 20 mile mark I looked down and despite riding what I thought was "hard", I was going 9mph on flat ground. Something wasn't right. I gave it a little while more, but by the time I got to the second turn around, I was toast. I ended up pulling out of the race at mile 28 of the bike. I just didn't have it in me on that day.

Honestly, I think this one was mental. Yes, I had some physical stuff going on, but nothing terrible and nothing I haven't raced through before. This was a last minute decision to up to the HIM distance and I just really didn't respect the distance. I normally would have closed my season with a nice Oly, coasting on my HIM fitness from MiTi three weeks before. Between MiTi and this race, I had done barely any training (nothing for a week, then light for a week, then "tapering" (which was more of an excuse to skip workouts than anything resembling a taper)). I totally ignored nutrition. I drank more beer than two average frat boys combined. I wasn't doing what I needed to do to be successful at this race and it didn't really hit me until I was on the course and suffering badly. Could I have finished? Probably--probably could have gutted it out to the line, but that would have risked an injury and I certainly didn't want to do that (leaving for 10 days in London on Saturday). There is a lesson to be learned in all of this, and I think I learned it with my performance--no need to belabor the point with a half marathon.

This brings me to the "off-season" where I'm supposed to take two weeks completely off and then two weeks of whatever I want to do. Honestly, left to my own devices, whatever I want to do generally ends up being nothing. I need a strong training plan. But, I will take some time to reflect on the season and where I made gains and where I can still make gains. I'm looking forward to getting back into the weight room this off season.

2019-09-09 8:26 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Aquabike done!  Will do an RR tomorrow but pleased with the results.  29-flat out of the water then about 1:08 for a 23+ mile ride.  I didn't quite have the top end on my bike but my taper was REALLY short and I think we walked about 10 miles yesterday around the college campus my daughter was visiting.  She was 6th out of the water on the sprint today.  My swim was about 2 minutes faster than my last race (five years ago LOL).

Felt great to let it rip, especially the second lap of the swim where I felt I was getting stronger as I went along.  I still sight like garbage, but at least I don't swim in circles anymore.

RR up:  https://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=555657&posts=1#M5262380

2019-09-09 12:13 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Bummer, Gretchen.  That sounds just awful. 

The last time I attempted to do an "off-season" I went stir crazy not working out enough and gained weight. 

2019-09-09 12:35 PM
in reply to: #5262328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi! I’m Kate- I was active a few years ago on this group (have the bike jersey to prove it :-)

I’m glad to see some you guys are still active and even faster than when I was last here!

I was hoping I could get some advice since I have not raced in about three years and my friends talked me into a relay that is this Saturday.

How do you decide where to start in a swim wave? I used to always start Front and center- but what with not training (I did go swim the distance in a wetsuit this weekend) and getting put in a heat with Elites, M under 29 and Clydesdales and being a middle aged mom the question is different. I’m guessing I will swim just under 40 minutes for the 1.2 miles but really have no idea - last time trained I did it in 30 minutes.

So, any tips on how to choose where to start in the pack?
2019-09-09 12:39 PM
in reply to: #5262396

User image

Extreme Veteran
Gretchen- my view on if you feel like hurling is always do it and get it over with.

I had a major stomach issue at the Aspen Xterra race after trying Scratch Labs nutrition. I’m sure I had food poisoning from something else - but I have never used their product again and it’s been probably 5 years... worst feeling ever.

2019-09-09 1:59 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Moonrocket Hi! I’m Kate- I was active a few years ago on this group (have the bike jersey to prove it :-) I’m glad to see some you guys are still active and even faster than when I was last here! I was hoping I could get some advice since I have not raced in about three years and my friends talked me into a relay that is this Saturday. How do you decide where to start in a swim wave? I used to always start Front and center- but what with not training (I did go swim the distance in a wetsuit this weekend) and getting put in a heat with Elites, M under 29 and Clydesdales and being a middle aged mom the question is different. I’m guessing I will swim just under 40 minutes for the 1.2 miles but really have no idea - last time trained I did it in 30 minutes. So, any tips on how to choose where to start in the pack?

Hi, Kate!  Welcome back.  I'm a crappy swimmer but I'm also a big guy so I don't worry about getting jostled around in the washing machine, for what it's worth.  I typically start in the middle back and try to follow the faster swimmers.  The outside tends to have beginners (because everyone tells them to stay to the outside) and you're faster and more experienced than they are.  Swim starts for waves start to look like an ever-elongating arrow until it compresses at the first buoy turn (assuming you're not in a point-to-point swim) and I want to keep from getting too far outside.

2019-09-09 2:22 PM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Originally posted by Moonrocket

Hi! I’m Kate- I was active a few years ago on this group (have the bike jersey to prove it :-)

Wait! We have bike jerseys?!

Welcome back Kate! The swim isn't really my thing. But from what I understand, lining up as far to the outside as you need is no problem. The Tower 26 podcast did an analysis of the Kona swim start and figured something like lining up 200 ft (maybe even yards I can't remember) down the beach was still a minor addition to the overall course length.

Gretchen, sounds like a 1/2M at that point would have been pure torture! Chalk it up as a learning experience.

Someone in the office must know it's my taper week, because they brought in big, soft, homemade lemon cookies... Then one of the companies we work with brought in doughnuts as big as my head...
It only gets worse through the holidays, we get tables covered in cookies, candies, breads, & snacks. That's why I can't take an off season! Lol.
2019-09-10 3:36 AM
in reply to: #5262397

User image

, Vermont
Kate! Welcome back!! Yeah, center and a bit back of front with your experience id think would be fine! Will we see more of you on here?

Riles, yes on the bike jerseys. They’re sweet! Someone as trying to see if they could still be ordered but they were made through Jackroo. Someday when I’m on an actual computer I’ll post a picture of mine.
2019-09-10 6:50 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Kate! Welcome back!! Yeah, center and a bit back of front with your experience id think would be fine! Will we see more of you on here? Riles, yes on the bike jerseys. They’re sweet! Someone as trying to see if they could still be ordered but they were made through Jackroo. Someday when I’m on an actual computer I’ll post a picture of mine.

i've got one too!

2019-09-10 7:45 AM

User image

Anyone have a link? Having destroyed my favorite jersey, I'm in the market for a new one.

2019-09-10 11:53 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Got back into some light training today after a day off yesterday.  I actually feel OK considering.  30 minutes on the spin bike, 15 on the treadmill, some strength/core work, and short 400y swim, all really easy.  I guess that's a quadrathalon?  I'm shooting for 45 miles on the bike Saturday - that'll be my longest ride ever.

Happy Tuesday, and I'll try to dig up the link to the jerseys.

EDIT:  here is the link http://shop.jakroo.com/storefront/BDAS but there isn't anything there

Edited by jmhpsu93 2019-09-10 12:14 PM
2019-09-10 11:56 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I sat in my office chair and ate fritos. Not sure what kind of workout we're gonna classify that as, but I'm finally catching up on some work ignored over the last couple of weeks as races came and went. Heading to London on Saturday for big conference at the British Museum (assuming I can get my presentation pulled together!).
2019-09-10 12:16 PM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove I sat in my office chair and ate fritos. Not sure what kind of workout we're gonna classify that as, but I'm finally catching up on some work ignored over the last couple of weeks as races came and went. Heading to London on Saturday for big conference at the British Museum (assuming I can get my presentation pulled together!).

Recovery. 

That trip sounds really cool.  Museum of Natural History?  I've been there before (like almost 20 years ago).

2019-09-10 1:09 PM

User image

Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Got back into some light training today after a day off yesterday.  I actually feel OK considering.  30 minutes on the spin bike, 15 on the treadmill, some strength/core work, and short 400y swim, all really easy.  I guess that's a quadrathalon?  I'm shooting for 45 miles on the bike Saturday - that'll be my longest ride ever.

Happy Tuesday, and I'll try to dig up the link to the jerseys.

EDIT:  here is the link http://shop.jakroo.com/storefront/BDAS but there isn't anything there

Anyone else interested in buying a jersey if I contact them to see if they can revive the store front?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7620 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 930 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa