BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-10-18 7:29 AM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open

Originally posted by rpaulson7  Ironically, when asked at work what my career plans are, I consistently have no idea.

That is SO funny - I'm 50 years old and still don't know what I want to be at work, yet I have my ENTIRE 2020 workout schedule planned as well as our vacations planned through 2022.

Good luck with the BQ, that's always a huge accomplishment.

2019-10-19 10:31 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by bulfrog In other news, how is everyone enjoying the rugby world cup? We're into the playoffs now, and a very lopsided draw in my opinion, title contenders NZ, England and Ireland all on one side, with South Africa having a pretty open run to the final on the other side. It's going to be an interesting few weeks.

OUCH! You lot look amazing!!!!! On the good news front: at least we beat your noisy neighbours!!! 

2019-10-19 9:10 PM
in reply to: #5263392

User image

DeLand, Florida
Quick update. Home in MA this weekend for a double long run (7 and 17) as part of the Dopey Challenge plan. 17 will include the Baystate Half Marathon in Lowell. Going to try 2 mi warmup, 13.1, and 2 mi cool down. It's going to be in the 30s (F) at the start. Yay....
2019-10-20 7:18 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by bulfrog In other news, how is everyone enjoying the rugby world cup? We're into the playoffs now, and a very lopsided draw in my opinion, title contenders NZ, England and Ireland all on one side, with South Africa having a pretty open run to the final on the other side. It's going to be an interesting few weeks.

OUCH! You lot look amazing!!!!! On the good news front: at least we beat your noisy neighbours!!! 

Well the quarters pretty much went to plan.The Welsh can feel very lucky to still be in Japan, even with the red card they managed to almost not make it. A very deserved red card tho, unlike some we have seen this tournament. No chance they get past the Bokke this week.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about Ireland before the game, but you're right the boys are looking very good, definitely peaking at the right time. The nerves had all gone 15 minutes into the game.

England, sorry but that score flatters you. if you give up 65% of the ball to NZ or SA, you're getting a hiding. My goodness the Australians were poor, and made some really terrible tactical calls. That said, yes, England are capable of the upset, but should be considered very much the underdogs going into the semi. The biggest concern is coach Eddie, he has a history of getting a team up for that 'one off' performance to win the big game he really has no right too... See NZ vs Aus semifinal in 2003, or Japan Vs SA in '15

There will be some nerves for sure building up to this weekend.
2019-10-20 7:49 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by jmhpsu93
Getting through that first week is such a positive direction forward, congrats!

Thanks,

Unfortunately week 2, not so good.

I was away 3 days for work, long hours as usual with site work so 3 days unwanted enforced rest.

So, I switched week 2 for week 3 (first rest week) so I wouldn't miss too much. Got all 3 rides as planned, but was 1 run short. Looking forwards to week 3 (or 2) this week and getting some solid numbers in.

In other news, my pools closure has been extended for a week. So it's going to be 11 Nov before I can start doing laps again. This means I might be doing the first 2 OWS's of the summer with no swimming for the previous 2 months... should make it interesting.

Also, the consistency of the last 3 months or so seems to be showing up in my runs over the weekend. I'm not going fast by any stretch of the imagination but my heart rate this week was nice and low, even staying in zone 1, or lower, for 80 minutes of my 95 minute long run Sunday, while sitting nicely in the middle of my target pace (Z2). I'm sure 3 days of no exercise mid week helped me go into the weekend nice and rested, but I think I need to try and find an opportunity to do a 5k fitness test, and maybe speed up my zones a little.
2019-10-20 7:55 PM
in reply to: rpaulson7

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by rpaulson7

Now, I've reinvigorated my desire to run a Boston Qualifier marathon. This week,
I re-hired my running coach from 2017, and dedicated the next 12 months to running a BQ. Should be a realistic goal - I need a 3:20 marathon to qualify, and about a 3:17 to successfully get registered.

Apparently I'm ready for the madness again! Assuming I qualify at Twin Cities Marathon in 2020, I'd run Boston in April 2022, which means I can do a few triathlons in 2021.

Ironically, when asked at work what my career plans are, I consistently have no idea.

I know what you mean, I have a potential race plan (or dream list I suppose) looking years ahead. (Don't tell Mrs Bullfrog that, we'll get past Ironman before mentioning ultra running etc... ) And I also don't know what I want to be when I grow up, despite being in teh job for close to a decade.

Good luck for the BQ mission. That is an amazing goal, that is way beyond what I could ever attempt.

But do you really need to wait till 2021 before doing a Tri again? A little bit of cross training in your training plan, and treating things like a catered training day rather than an all out effort, I'm sure you can fit some sprints or something in next year. Obviously in discussions with your coach.

Either way, good luck, and I look forward to following your progress.

2019-10-21 2:42 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog

Well the quarters pretty much went to plan.The Welsh can feel very lucky to still be in Japan, even with the red card they managed to almost not make it. A very deserved red card tho, unlike some we have seen this tournament. No chance they get past the Bokke this week. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about Ireland before the game, but you're right the boys are looking very good, definitely peaking at the right time. The nerves had all gone 15 minutes into the game. England, sorry but that score flatters you. if you give up 65% of the ball to NZ or SA, you're getting a hiding. My goodness the Australians were poor, and made some really terrible tactical calls. That said, yes, England are capable of the upset, but should be considered very much the underdogs going into the semi. The biggest concern is coach Eddie, he has a history of getting a team up for that 'one off' performance to win the big game he really has no right too... See NZ vs Aus semifinal in 2003, or Japan Vs SA in '15 There will be some nerves for sure building up to this weekend.

Just for the record, the above dialogue might as well have been in Russian for as much as I understood it. 

2019-10-21 5:33 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Just for the record, the above dialogue might as well have been in Russian for as much as I understood it. 

Nah, the Russians didn't make it to the playoffs

If you get the chance, watch the semifinals this weekend. The England vs NZ game should be a great game, and spectacle.
2019-10-22 7:49 AM
in reply to: #5263451

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short run this morning before I head off to the desert for the next eight weeks. The trip is a ba$tard. I won’t arrive at my final destination until Friday afternoon (leaving my house today at 10am). Coach has new run program set to start on Monday. Off season is coming to a close!
2019-10-22 8:43 AM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Originally posted by bulfrog

Well the quarters pretty much went to plan.The Welsh can feel very lucky to still be in Japan, even with the red card they managed to almost not make it. A very deserved red card tho, unlike some we have seen this tournament. No chance they get past the Bokke this week. I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about Ireland before the game, but you're right the boys are looking very good, definitely peaking at the right time. The nerves had all gone 15 minutes into the game. England, sorry but that score flatters you. if you give up 65% of the ball to NZ or SA, you're getting a hiding. My goodness the Australians were poor, and made some really terrible tactical calls. That said, yes, England are capable of the upset, but should be considered very much the underdogs going into the semi. The biggest concern is coach Eddie, he has a history of getting a team up for that 'one off' performance to win the big game he really has no right too... See NZ vs Aus semifinal in 2003, or Japan Vs SA in '15 There will be some nerves for sure building up to this weekend.

Was out to a Portuguese restaurant with a good friend, and they had the Wales Australia match on.  Trying to figure out what was happening was like trying to  read Russian...  :D

2019-10-22 9:10 AM
in reply to: firebert

User image

DeLand, Florida

Gretchen - Safe travels!!

Ryan - AWESOME on the Boston Qualifying mission!  

Me - my weekend went mostly to plan.  We got the 7 mile long run in Saturday, Sunday was supposed to be 17 (the Dopey Challenge plan starts working in additional long runs throughout the 6 month plan - eventually getting to 4 long runs over 4 days, to simulate the race 5k/10k/HM/Marathon).  The idea was run 2 mi warmup, run the Baystate Half Marathon, then cool down 2 mi more.  17 didn't happen, we got maybe 15 in total. The good news though is that I successfully run/walked a race for the first time.  I've done the Galloway run/walk method for years with good success at preventing and mitigating injury.  I've always raced on race day though, just running a consistent pace start to finish.  My running partner has only been successful at run/walking races, and any time I've pushed him to run the whole thing, he's fizzled out.  

Not only did we run/walk an HM, we passed our 2hr goal and got him a PR in the process (1:55).  Considering we're Dopey Challenge training, and marathon PR focused at that, I'd call a 1:55 a huge success for us.  I'm psyched!!!

BTW the winner of the HM was 1:05.  The winners for the Marathon were M 2:34:37 and F 2:39:00.  Only 5 mins between Male and Female - the barrier is falling!  Yay!!!!!!  Funny side note, the HM and Marathon have the same finish line.  A friend of ours was finishing her first Half Marathon and as she's coming down the chute the announcer starts getting excited going on about the first female finisher and how it's a course record and literally our friend is coming across the line for her Half at the same time as the Women's overall Marathon winner and our friend had to break stride and move out of the way so as not to run through the Marathon winner's tape. 

2019-10-22 1:54 PM

User image

Safe travels Gretchen!

John, rugby is American football without the forward pass. Or more accurately, American football is the mess you create when you allow a forward pass in rugby.

I still haven't figured out a good way to watch rugby here. This weekend I decided to see if anyone had uploaded any bootlegged games to YouTube. The game I thought I found turned out to be South Africa vs. New Zealand under 20 championships. Some good rugby nonetheless, and if the U20 team is any indication, SA is going to be a powerhouse in a couple of years.

The England/ New Zealand game is at 4AM my time... there won't be any pubs open. Looks like subscribing to a VPN is my best option. I'll probably see if the rugby club is doing a watch party for the final.

Training is going good. Two weeks ago my joints were feeling so beat up I was thinking of ditching my HM in December. So of course I doubled down, adding hill repeats, functional strength work, and compression on the joints that were bothering me. Still a slight niggle or two, but so much better now. I did a threshold test this morning, 3.5 mi in 30 minutes puts me at just over a 2 hr HM using McMillan's pace calculator. I'd be very happy with a 2:00-2:10!
2019-10-22 4:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by riles32807 Safe travels Gretchen! John, rugby is American football without the forward pass. Or more accurately, American football is the mess you create when you allow a forward pass in rugby. I still haven't figured out a good way to watch rugby here. This weekend I decided to see if anyone had uploaded any bootlegged games to YouTube. The game I thought I found turned out to be South Africa vs. New Zealand under 20 championships. Some good rugby nonetheless, and if the U20 team is any indication, SA is going to be a powerhouse in a couple of years. The England/ New Zealand game is at 4AM my time... there won't be any pubs open. Looks like subscribing to a VPN is my best option. I'll probably see if the rugby club is doing a watch party for the final. Training is going good. Two weeks ago my joints were feeling so beat up I was thinking of ditching my HM in December. So of course I doubled down, adding hill repeats, functional strength work, and compression on the joints that were bothering me. Still a slight niggle or two, but so much better now. I did a threshold test this morning, 3.5 mi in 30 minutes puts me at just over a 2 hr HM using McMillan's pace calculator. I'd be very happy with a 2:00-2:10!

The only place I know to watch rugby is through the NBC sports app...you pay for subscriptions to the different sports (I pay $35/year for cycling, but you get EVERYTHING there is in cycling - Tour of California, TdF, Vuelta d' Espania, Giro di Italia, UCI worlds, and all the one-day classics).  The rugby world cup all access is $144 (!!!), but there are per match prices, too.

Or you could just go to a bar at 5 AM, so there's that. 

Edited by jmhpsu93 2019-10-22 4:04 PM
2019-10-22 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

@John - nice work on the HM...I've always thought that run/walk HAS to be slower but somehow it's faster.  Makes my head hurt.

@Gretchen - good luck on the travels

Me:  Finished day two of the prep phase...really easy stuff at this point, just getting back into a schedule and doing a ton of core work.

2019-10-23 10:36 AM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

, Vermont
Gretchen, have fun and stay safe on your travels!
2019-10-23 10:37 AM
in reply to: #5263551

User image

, Vermont
Just signed up for Ironman Mont Tremblant next August. Redemption for my hypothermia DNF in 2016. Beautiful course, now to get more consistent.

2019-10-24 10:54 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

I actually understood all of it! lol! To me rugby is like NFL minus the padding and no forward throws.  

2019-10-24 12:06 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

DeLand, Florida

I actually understood all of it! lol! To me rugby is like NFL minus the padding and no forward throws.  

Maybe you guys can explain the scrum.  I get that it's a free ball (or at least it looks like it is) and everyone is fighting to get it, sort of like a fumble in American football.  But then every time, it looks like they have the scrum for a min, then someone on one side just gently picks the ball up out of the back like it was their possession all along and the scrum was just an excuse to wrestle.

Granted we were watching with no sound on so it's even more difficult to guess what's happening...

2019-10-24 12:11 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Capstone Photography did free race photos for the Baystate!  Here's me legging it out at the finish line.

Yes I'm overdressed, but it was 34F at the start....

(BYBY19JN01298.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
BYBY19JN01298.jpg (1033KB - 5 downloads)
2019-10-24 1:54 PM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by firebert

Maybe you guys can explain the scrum.  I get that it's a free ball (or at least it looks like it is) and everyone is fighting to get it, sort of like a fumble in American football.  But then every time, it looks like they have the scrum for a min, then someone on one side just gently picks the ball up out of the back like it was their possession all along and the scrum was just an excuse to wrestle.

Granted we were watching with no sound on so it's even more difficult to guess what's happening...

Sure. So the team that put the ball into the scrum do this because they have gained an advantage beforehand (defer to all black buddy at this point for reasons why); if the scrum goes ok it does just gently come back out. If it goes really well for the team putting the ball in they will gain some territorial advantage (yardage kinda). If it goes badly for them, the scrum will get turned and the opposing team will win the ball instead. Plus over the course if the 80 minutes the bigger, stronger pack (i.e. the eight in the scrum) will tire out the smaller, lighter pack: bit like mason, cannon et al. cumulatively exhausting the defence from a different team.

Hope this helps; ask again if you want to know about props, hookers, locks and flankers

2019-10-24 3:46 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Ok, welcome to uncle bullfrog's guide to rugby.

I think that you are confusing a scrum, and a ruck. A scrum, is an organised restart to play, after one team has fumbled the ball. And it goes like saph explained above. or seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XrzQDwEE0k

A ruck, is what happens when a player is tackled during general play. And to be fair, this is where it gets complicated and confusing to the uninitiated. But I will try my best.

At its core, rugby is a game about competing for possession of the ball.

In a simple game, like american football, when a player is tackled the game stops, and the team that had the ball before the tackle gets it back again, and the game restarts.

In Rugby, when there is a tackle the game continues, both teams will compete to try and get the ball.

Once a player (team A) has been tackled, and is on the ground he has to let go of the ball, he will place the ball behind him, putting his body between the other team and the ball. You're not allowed to touch the ball if you are not on your feet, so the tackler (team B) will try to stand up and grab the ball back for his team. But players from both teams will arrive quickly and try to push the opposing team away from the ball, and a ruck has been formed. There are rules that say you have to join a ruck from behind your team, and the offside line (line of scrimmage for Americans) is the back of the last man of your team in the ruck. So, one team will be pushed back and the ball exposed for the other to pick up and continue play.

Winning the ruck, is the most important part of the game. if your team is in possession you want to get the ball out of the ruck as quickly as possible, so you can attack before the opposition has had time to set up their defense. If you are the defending team, you want to win the ball off the opposition if you can, and if not slow the play down so your defense is ready before the other team can get the ball out.

So because it's so important, both teams will cheat, all the time. They will try to hold onto the ball when they shouldn't, They will enter the ruck from offside, or lie on the ball to stop it coming out. There are a lot of technical penalties during rucks.

And some nice examples here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGJHZ7l01ic

So, if I haven't confused everyone, the first semi final tomorrow is between the 2 best teams in the world. Who both want to play a fast attacking game. It should be a good watch.

2019-10-24 3:51 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Just signed up for Ironman Mont Tremblant next August. Redemption for my hypothermia DNF in 2016. Beautiful course, now to get more consistent.

Thats awesome. Good luck!
2019-10-24 3:51 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida

Andrew - that actually helped a ton!  Thanks!

Now of course once it isn't world cup any longer I have no idea when I'll even have access to watch rugby again and I'll have new questions all over again 

2019-10-24 4:04 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Andrew - that actually helped a ton!  Thanks!

Now of course once it isn't world cup any longer I have no idea when I'll even have access to watch rugby again and I'll have new questions all over again 

Not a problem.

Well there's rugby in the olympics now, and the USA have a very good team. So this time next year I'd say.

Of course that's rugby 7's, not the proper game. (think 3 on 3 basket ball vs NBA) But the same rules apply, just less time and players.
2019-10-26 1:34 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
HI All! I made it to Amarna!! Just a scant four days of travel! Ugh. The trip was very good by Egyptian travel standards and I arrived in one piece, so I'm happy. Work can begin today, which makes me even happier!

Quick run this morning (#5) and yoga session (#6--I know, I'm behind!). Later this morning the Ministry of Antiquities will come and open our storage magazine and I will spend the rest of the day climbing over boulders (aka...statues) and crates of artifacts no one will ever see because they aren't "museum quality" to get to my skeletons for analysis. It is a workout in and of itself (although I never count it as one)--there is just something about balancing yourself while straddling two shelves 10' in the air (i.e., not on a ladder, but instead standing on two different shelving units while straddling the divide) that reminds you endurance training doesn't work all of your muscles! Never not completely sore after working in the magazine!

Jenn--so happy to hear that you have signed up for IMMT!! I'm signed up for MiTi 140.6 this year!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7855 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 944 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa