BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-11-15 7:49 AM
in reply to: #5264089

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Mike, I hope the knee is feeling better!

2019-11-15 8:00 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by sappho96

Originally posted by drfoodlove Sappho--commute riding back on? In the dark?

Eek! I've managed one so far. I get quite bad Seasonal Affective Disorder, combined with work being pretty full-on at the minute so haven't been riding in. One of those catch 22's that the exercise will help the SAD but you have to have enough oomph to want to ride in the first place! 

Will try tomorrow...

I managed it! 

Good job! As we're coming into summer, I can't claim to be suffering from SAD. But I definitely suffer from not wanting to get out of bed. After my 2nd early morning run for the week I definitely suffer from not wanting to get out of the nice warm bed. But once up, I do enjoy a morning run. Just have to get over that hump. Have a good weekend everyone.

I think what helped was mentally splitting the ride home into three parts so feeling relieved/happy once each bit was done. It is not a long commute but the drivers in my city tend to be quite rubbish! I once got so badly close passed by a policeman I made a complaint!!!! You get the idea! 

@bulfrog - enjoy the cricket

2019-11-15 1:15 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Expert
Went to the Y this morning and got in my 30 minutes of walking. Nothing special but I got it done. All I need to do to meet my goal of three workouts this week is to squeeze in one on Sunday.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

DQ
2019-11-15 2:41 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17 Went to the Y this morning and got in my 30 minutes of walking. Nothing special but I got it done. All I need to do to meet my goal of three workouts this week is to squeeze in one on Sunday. Hope everyone has a good weekend. DQ

Nice work, Dave.  A long journey begins with one step, right?

2019-11-15 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by aviatrix802 Mike, I hope the knee is feeling better!

I'm used to it.  LOL

It comes and goes.  I think it's related to my IT bands (I foam roll and all that) but even my PT couldn't really figure it out.  I just need to be mindful of it while it's misbehaving and it usually goes away.  Seems to be fine now - we'll see tomorrow when I get at it in spin class.

2019-11-15 2:45 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

A successful week training while traveling, though this morning's Bikram session was a waste of time and I probably should have stayed in bed.  I got in the prescribed workouts around 515 AM every day before heading to the training center or the office, and did a serviceable job on food and liquid intake.  About two hours' worth tomorrow in the gym and then I watch a swim meet.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2019-11-16 11:48 AM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Expert
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Originally posted by Qua17 Went to the Y this morning and got in my 30 minutes of walking. Nothing special but I got it done. All I need to do to meet my goal of three workouts this week is to squeeze in one on Sunday. Hope everyone has a good weekend. DQ

Thanks Mike! I appreciate the kind words.

I went out this morning and got another 30 minute walk in. As much as I would like to run - my knees can't handle my weight so for now - walking is where it's at. It doesn't seem like a real workout to me - walking - but at least I'm doing something. I long for the days of cranking out a 10k with no problem at all but I know that will come in time. Until then, thanks all for the accountability! With your help - I was able to meet my goal of getting in three workouts this week and it's nice to be back on the wagon at least for now.

What's everyone drinking this weekend?

2019-11-16 11:49 AM

User image

Expert

A successful week training while traveling, though this morning's Bikram session was a waste of time and I probably should have stayed in bed.  I got in the prescribed workouts around 515 AM every day before heading to the training center or the office, and did a serviceable job on food and liquid intake.  About two hours' worth tomorrow in the gym and then I watch a swim meet.

Outstanding work! How was this gym this morning?
2019-11-17 6:39 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by Qua17

Thanks Mike! I appreciate the kind words. I went out this morning and got another 30 minute walk in. As much as I would like to run - my knees can't handle my weight so for now - walking is where it's at. It doesn't seem like a real workout to me - walking - but at least I'm doing something. I long for the days of cranking out a 10k with no problem at all but I know that will come in time. Until then, thanks all for the accountability! With your help - I was able to meet my goal of getting in three workouts this week and it's nice to be back on the wagon at least for now. What's everyone drinking this weekend?

Walking a lot is how I got back into it after my first back injury eight years ago.  If you want to raise your HR a bit, add some incline to the treadmill.  If I do 3.8 MPH @ 9% incline my HR creeps up to Z2 running without the pounding.  I also do some steep hills up to 12-13% at lower speeds.  As always, ease into it but it'll definitely burn more calories per hour than just walking around (though I do plenty of that, too).

2019-11-17 8:14 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

I got to watch a swimming gala too! My niece did 50m breastsroke and i am soooo proud of her! She also got bought a rather awesome hexagon design cossie - jealous auntie!

How did yours get on?

2019-11-17 8:16 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Thanks Mike! I appreciate the kind words. I went out this morning and got another 30 minute walk in. As much as I would like to run - my knees can't handle my weight so for now - walking is where it's at. It doesn't seem like a real workout to me - walking - but at least I'm doing something. I long for the days of cranking out a 10k with no problem at all but I know that will come in time. Until then, thanks all for the accountability! With your help - I was able to meet my goal of getting in three workouts this week and it's nice to be back on the wagon at least for now. What's everyone drinking this weekend?

It is still weight bearing DQ so conceptually harder work than swimming or cycling! 

2019-11-17 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Happy Sunday Everyone!

First off - thanks so much for the accountability.  Thanks to you, I was able to get into gear and meet my goal of finishing the week with 3 days of exercise.  I was also able to keep track of my food on my fitness pal for four days straight.  So that's a start.

This week, I'd like to: 1) Work out 4x, 2) Continue to keep track of my calories on MFP, and 3) try to be more active on Beginner Triathlete.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

DQ
2019-11-17 10:05 AM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I got to watch a swimming gala too! My niece did 50m breastsroke and i am soooo proud of her! She also got bought a rather awesome hexagon design cossie - jealous auntie!

How did yours get on?

Swam the 500Y free in 5:49 which was about a 25 second PR from a couple of years ago.  She was happy about it and she won her heat so she got to hear the final lap bell.  She swims 400IM today.  Just one event per day so not too bad of a time suck.  Ravens game later today vs. Houston...should be a good one.

Happy Sunday.

2019-11-17 2:12 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Happy Sunday Everyone!

First off - thanks so much for the accountability.  Thanks to you, I was able to get into gear and meet my goal of finishing the week with 3 days of exercise.  I was also able to keep track of my food on my fitness pal for four days straight.  So that's a start.

This week, I'd like to: 1) Work out 4x, 2) Continue to keep track of my calories on MFP, and 3) try to be more active on Beginner Triathlete.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

DQ

Great job getting it done DQ.

As for walking vs. running, don't try to compare yourself to you 2 or 3 years ago. (Thats a problem I have all the time) Compare yourself to you a week ago, and focus on your improvements compared to that guy. Given time you will get back to where you were, but it will take a while. A 30 min walk, especially when you were doing nothing a few weeks ago, is absolutely a real workout! Don't put yourself down because you're not doing what you did when you were in marathon shape. you met your 3 workout goal, thats 100% a win.

And good luck for the coming week. I want to see a post Monday or Tuesday, telling us about your first workout

Edited by bulfrog 2019-11-17 2:31 PM
2019-11-17 2:24 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Week 6 is in the books. And I'll give it a 'C' grade. A pass, but not great. It was a scheduled cut back week, but it ended up a bit shorter than planned.

Life got in the way quite a bit this week (Both my dad, and father in law had operations) so my scheduling was all a bit messed up. Doing a hard interval run Friday morning, a hard Cruise Interval bike Friday evening is not a good lead in to a 5k run fitness test Saturday morning. By Sunday I was a spent force, so my long ride got very much shortened. But, the lap pool has re opened, and I swam again. So despite still being a long way to go, that's some progress.

M: 500m swim
T: Off
W: am: 45min easy run, pm: 40min Z2 bike
T: 500m swim
F: am:40min Interval run, pm: 45 min Cruise interval bike
S: 55min run including 5km Run TT fitness test
S: am: 15 min easy run with dog, pm: 40 min Z2 bike

Looking forward to a good solid week this week. Should be up around 7 1/2 hours total. I have my longest ride (2 hr) to date on the books this week, which I am looking forwards to, but am also a bit nervous of. 2 hours is a long time of Netflix and spin... I can see my roaed bike coming out of retirement soon, which will be fun.

Have a good week everyone.
2019-11-17 10:47 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
DQ---back into the pool after hanging out in the parking lot in your swimsuit?!?! hardcore!!

Long run this morning, followed by 15' of yoga. Yesterday we did a three hour desert hike to see a couple of the lesser known villages associated with my site. Then, all last night my right thigh was cramping in random spots...inside, outside, front, back...it was like the whole leg was having a brain fart. I don't know what was going on...the hike wasn't that stressful. Anyway, up this morning for my long run of the week. I wasn't sure it was a good idea, but I don't have another morning when it works as well as today, so I thought I'd just give it a try. Run went fine and yoga too. Aren't bodies great? I've totally lost track of how many workouts I've gotten in since deciding 100 was the goal, but since the whole reason for starting the goal was to get back to consistently working out and I've done two workouts a day, 6 days a week for three weeks in a row, I think I've got that sorted.

2019-11-18 9:39 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

DQ---back into the pool after hanging out in the parking lot in your swimsuit?!?! hardcore!!

Long run this morning, followed by 15' of yoga. Yesterday we did a three hour desert hike to see a couple of the lesser known villages associated with my site. Then, all last night my right thigh was cramping in random spots...inside, outside, front, back...it was like the whole leg was having a brain fart. I don't know what was going on...the hike wasn't that stressful. Anyway, up this morning for my long run of the week. I wasn't sure it was a good idea, but I don't have another morning when it works as well as today, so I thought I'd just give it a try. Run went fine and yoga too. Aren't bodies great? I've totally lost track of how many workouts I've gotten in since deciding 100 was the goal, but since the whole reason for starting the goal was to get back to consistently working out and I've done two workouts a day, 6 days a week for three weeks in a row, I think I've got that sorted.

Way to get back to consistently working out. I'd say you have reclaimed your title of "The Machine: : )

Where are you working? Sounds exotic
2019-11-18 9:42 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

Week 6 is in the books. And I'll give it a 'C' grade. A pass, but not great. It was a scheduled cut back week, but it ended up a bit shorter than planned.

Life got in the way quite a bit this week (Both my dad, and father in law had operations) so my scheduling was all a bit messed up. Doing a hard interval run Friday morning, a hard Cruise Interval bike Friday evening is not a good lead in to a 5k run fitness test Saturday morning. By Sunday I was a spent force, so my long ride got very much shortened. But, the lap pool has re opened, and I swam again. So despite still being a long way to go, that's some progress.

M: 500m swim
T: Off
W: am: 45min easy run, pm: 40min Z2 bike
T: 500m swim
F: am:40min Interval run, pm: 45 min Cruise interval bike
S: 55min run including 5km Run TT fitness test
S: am: 15 min easy run with dog, pm: 40 min Z2 bike

Looking forward to a good solid week this week. Should be up around 7 1/2 hours total. I have my longest ride (2 hr) to date on the books this week, which I am looking forwards to, but am also a bit nervous of. 2 hours is a long time of Netflix and spin... I can see my roaed bike coming out of retirement soon, which will be fun.

Have a good week everyone.

Sorry to hear about your father and inlaws operations. I hope they came out of it ok. Considering - you have a great weeks of working out.

Too bad you don't have disney plus - it's a great way of killing time on the trainer. Hopefully it will get there soon - nothing like working out while watching starwars!
2019-11-18 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
I had a productive Sunday and Monday. On Sunday, I walked with my daughter to the grocery store which is just up the street. It took about thirty minutes there and back so I'm counting that as my first walk of the week. Today (Monday) I went to the gym and aqua jogged for thirty minutes and then swam 300 yards.

Andrew - you make a good point about not comparing myself to where I was three years ago... It really bugs me that I'm so slow. Even my swimming was slow (2:34 for 100 yards). It's frustrating to be starting over at ground zero but I have made some progress in the last three weeks. I'm eating better and keeping track of my calories on MFP. I've upped my swimming from 100 yards to 300 - even though it's slow. And I'm now walking without too much pain my calves which is a huge relief. So, Andrew, I'm gonna take your good advice and just focus on my present progress. Thanks so much for the encouragement!
2019-11-18 1:46 PM

User image

Awesome how everyone is focusing on consistency. Once it's a habit, it feels really weird not to.

@DQ, getting back into shape is so frustrating. Don't underestimate walking though, I've been there several times. My tip would be to focus on what makes it enjoyable to you, for instance that you got to spend time with your daughter, the fresh air, the sunlight on the trees the sounds of birds. Reinforcing the positive will help keep the motivation & consistency up.

Long run Saturday 10 mi @ HM pace
Easy run with my wife Sunday (we've been making it a habit to run together on the weekends and I've been really enjoying it) 4 mi zone 2
Easy lunch run today 2.8 mi zone 2
Tomorrow 60 min with hill repeats
Wednesday REST
Thursday 60 min with threshold intervals
Friday easy 30-40 min
2019-11-18 7:02 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Sorry to hear about your father and inlaws operations. I hope they came out of it ok. Considering - you have a great weeks of working out.

Too bad you don't have disney plus - it's a great way of killing time on the trainer. Hopefully it will get there soon - nothing like working out while watching starwars!

Well my Dad is back to normal after just the 1 night in hospital. But it is going to be a long road for my father in law, Last year he had an operation on his spine, for whatever reason the screws didn't set properly and have had to be replaced with larger ones. So he's going to be off work until after Christmas at least recovering. It's a big one.

Its funny you mention disney plus, it launches in NZ today, and Mrs Bullfrog is very very excited to get all the old Disney movies so we will have it very soon. 2 hr plus is still a long time on a stationary bike tho

2019-11-18 10:38 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois

Originally posted by drfoodlove

Way to get back to consistently working out. I'd say you have reclaimed your title of "The Machine: : )

Where are you working? Sounds exotic

I'm back at my site in Egypt (near Minya). Our project has a website, if anyone is interested (www.amarnaproject.com)
2019-11-18 10:42 PM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short run this morning, contending with a blister on the bottom of one of my toes. Where do they come from? I've rotated these shoes in and worn these shoes for months with no issues! Anyway...the big exciting news here today is that I bumped the yoga up from 15' to 30'. and I didn't fall asleep bored, so there is that.

2019-11-19 8:51 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone!

I've been off the grid, but am SO HAPPY to see how active everyone is being!

I was having lots of shoulder issues and getting back into the routine of waking up early was really daunting. Last week I did it a couple times (swam Tuesday, boot camp Wednesday, swam Sunday) and I started this morning off with my swim squad. Got in about 2200 yds. I'm definitely slow but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I want to do a run in December, so will need to get some runs in soon. I hate running in the dark though, and it's hard to get a treadmill at the busy times at my gym. So we will see!

DQ, great to see you on here! And so happy to hear you're already seeing changes. Keep up the great work!

Mike, I was at the Ravens/Texans game! SO GOOD! I thought it would be a close game, but they are on fire right now!

Gretchen, cool you are back in Egypt! I love hearing of your training adventures while you are over there.

Hope everyone else is well! I will try to catch up on everyone else, but looking forward to having you all back and keeping me accountable!
2019-11-19 9:11 AM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Welcome back, Nicole!  We talked about going to the game but decided to watch it on TV.  That team is SO fun to watch.

I was also at the gym this morning doing a bunch of stuff.  As for the treadmills, they're fairly available in the mornings and they have another dozen or so on the new mezzanine level that overlooks the main floor.  They're pretty busy mid-morning on Saturdays but I've never not been able to find an open one.

Got in 60 minutes on the trainer yesterday then 30 min spin bike / 15 min treadmill and lots of lower body strength training this morning (and a CD swim for the hell of it).  I'm hungry! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7627 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 930 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa