BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2019-11-19 9:13 AM
in reply to: bulfrog

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open

Originally posted by bulfrog
Originally posted by Qua17 Sorry to hear about your father and inlaws operations. I hope they came out of it ok. Considering - you have a great weeks of working out. Too bad you don't have disney plus - it's a great way of killing time on the trainer. Hopefully it will get there soon - nothing like working out while watching starwars!
Well my Dad is back to normal after just the 1 night in hospital. But it is going to be a long road for my father in law, Last year he had an operation on his spine, for whatever reason the screws didn't set properly and have had to be replaced with larger ones. So he's going to be off work until after Christmas at least recovering. It's a big one. Its funny you mention disney plus, it launches in NZ today, and Mrs Bullfrog is very very excited to get all the old Disney movies so we will have it very soon. 2 hr plus is still a long time on a stationary bike tho

A failed fusion?  That sounds awful.  Also pretty rare so that's a suck lottery win.

2019-11-19 1:39 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

Welcome back, Nicole!  We talked about going to the game but decided to watch it on TV.  That team is SO fun to watch.

I was also at the gym this morning doing a bunch of stuff.  As for the treadmills, they're fairly available in the mornings and they have another dozen or so on the new mezzanine level that overlooks the main floor.  They're pretty busy mid-morning on Saturdays but I've never not been able to find an open one.

Got in 60 minutes on the trainer yesterday then 30 min spin bike / 15 min treadmill and lots of lower body strength training this morning (and a CD swim for the hell of it).  I'm hungry! 

We really need to meet up one of these days! How many times must we have crossed paths?! haha

I will check out the treadmills in the morning. I think the last time I tried it was 5:30pm, and before the new mezzanine was open. I got so frustrated. I already hate the treadmill haha so not getting one made it even worse.

Nice job on the workout! Glad your knee is feeling better!
2019-11-19 6:39 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Expert
Originally posted by nicole14e

Hi everyone!

I've been off the grid, but am SO HAPPY to see how active everyone is being!

I was having lots of shoulder issues and getting back into the routine of waking up early was really daunting. Last week I did it a couple times (swam Tuesday, boot camp Wednesday, swam Sunday) and I started this morning off with my swim squad. Got in about 2200 yds. I'm definitely slow but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I want to do a run in December, so will need to get some runs in soon. I hate running in the dark though, and it's hard to get a treadmill at the busy times at my gym. So we will see!

Hope everyone else is well! I will try to catch up on everyone else, but looking forward to having you all back and keeping me accountable!

Nicole is back! Yea!!!

Just remember, while the Ravens are playing well now, they still lost to the Browns.... the Browns. Nicole....Let that sink in

Seriously, it's great having you and I look forward to working together to hold each other accountable

DQ
2019-11-19 6:43 PM

User image

Expert

Welcome back, Nicole!  We talked about going to the game but decided to watch it on TV.  That team is SO fun to watch.

I was also at the gym this morning doing a bunch of stuff.  As for the treadmills, they're fairly available in the mornings and they have another dozen or so on the new mezzanine level that overlooks the main floor.  They're pretty busy mid-morning on Saturdays but I've never not been able to find an open one.

Got in 60 minutes on the trainer yesterday then 30 min spin bike / 15 min treadmill and lots of lower body strength training this morning (and a CD swim for the hell of it).  I'm hungry! 

CD swim - Does that mean a cool down swim?

Nice work on the workouts!

DQ

2019-11-19 7:44 PM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

, Vermont
Dave, keep up the good work! I am with Andrew..compare yourself to last week. I have been having a tough time with that lately myself so Andrew’s words really sounded an alarm in my head.

Andrew, nice consistency. I think that alone deserves more than a C.

Gretchen, way to make things work in the desert. I’m happy to not see many posts about wild dogs chasing you. Ack! I will absolutely check out that website link you posted. My boys might find it interesting too!

Mike, glad to hear it’s not a consistent issue with the knee. Four or five years ago I was having knee issues, thought it was ITB related and my PT thought I had a pocket of fluid built up, that it wasn’t actually my IT band. I had an MRI and sure enough he was right! A cortisone shot and lots of bodybrealignment PT and it’s never come back!

Nicole, you’re back!! I think we’re in for the long haul on the treadmills. Haha
2019-11-19 7:56 PM
in reply to: #5264216

User image

, Vermont
I finished recurrent training Sunday night (passed, yay!!). I’ve spent the last two days sleeping, pretty much literally. I have two more days at home then have to commute out Friday to work. I had planned to hit the gym today but we had enough freezing rain that everything was coated and the kids had no school (that’s 3 already this year and it’s not even December yet!). Needless to say we didn’t leave the house and while I could have jumped in the trainer, I hung with the boys and also caught up work paperwork that had been building since May. Tomorrow I begin the arduous process of building consistency again. Haha. I need to figure out how to set goals with my crazy schedule. I carry all my gear with me when I travel but it’s a matter of also making sure I have time to sleep and eat when I’m on my overnights. I’m thinking I’ll have to adjust my goals each week based on the type of trip I’m doing - some weeks will have more to it than others. We’re heading into what we call “peak” at work which takes us right up to and just after Christmas - which means long hours, diversions to different overnights and tough weather. I still have my bike on a trainer in Louisville so there’s that. Time to set up a loose pre-training training program. I’ve got about 8-9 weeks before the real plan starts.

2019-11-19 9:16 PM
in reply to: #5264219

User image

, Vermont
Oh, my beer after passing work training was a bourbon barrel beer (Louisville beer) but I forgot the name of it. My true celebratory beverage was a dram of Angel’s Envy Rye. So delicious.
2019-11-20 10:10 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by Qua17

Hi everyone!

I've been off the grid, but am SO HAPPY to see how active everyone is being!

I was having lots of shoulder issues and getting back into the routine of waking up early was really daunting. Last week I did it a couple times (swam Tuesday, boot camp Wednesday, swam Sunday) and I started this morning off with my swim squad. Got in about 2200 yds. I'm definitely slow but it's not as bad as I thought it would be. I want to do a run in December, so will need to get some runs in soon. I hate running in the dark though, and it's hard to get a treadmill at the busy times at my gym. So we will see!

Hope everyone else is well! I will try to catch up on everyone else, but looking forward to having you all back and keeping me accountable!

Nicole is back! Yea!!!

Just remember, while the Ravens are playing well now, they still lost to the Browns.... the Browns. Nicole....Let that sink in

Seriously, it's great having you and I look forward to working together to hold each other accountable

DQ

I've blocked that game out! No clue what you're talking about...

Thank you! We are going to crush this winter!
2019-11-20 10:16 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Jen, congrats on passing! What exactly do you do? I know you are a pilot, but not sure if I know much more than that (sorry if you've explained before).

I made it to boot camp this morning and felt really strong. The trick right now is skipping burpees. I'm on a medication that causes dizziness, especially when I'm out of shape, and the elevation change of burpees is the biggest cause. Instead I do jump squats or some other modification and I've felt great throughout!

Tomorrow I will swim with my squad, and Friday will be my first dreadmill attempt at the gym. Pray for me!
2019-11-21 4:15 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Braving a dark commute today! Pray for the drivers!!!!!!!

2019-11-21 3:19 PM
in reply to: sappho96

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by sappho96

2019-11-21 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Today was early swim practice day for my daughter...I got in 1500 then some strength and core work.  I feel miserable getting up, driving, and starting but feel great once I get going and afterwards.  Bikram and a short trainer ride in the drops/aero tomorrow to work on flexibility. 

2019-11-21 3:21 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by nicole14e Jen, congrats on passing! What exactly do you do? I know you are a pilot, but not sure if I know much more than that (sorry if you've explained before). I made it to boot camp this morning and felt really strong. The trick right now is skipping burpees. I'm on a medication that causes dizziness, especially when I'm out of shape, and the elevation change of burpees is the biggest cause. Instead I do jump squats or some other modification and I've felt great throughout! Tomorrow I will swim with my squad, and Friday will be my first dreadmill attempt at the gym. Pray for me!

That happens to me doing burpees, and I'm not on medication. 

2019-11-21 3:50 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Had a really fantastic swim workout with my squad this morning. Got in 2850 yds in about an hour...it hurt.

Needed it to prepare for my work Thanksgiving Potluck today I'm finally starting to not feel full!
2019-11-22 7:40 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Originally posted by sappho96

They needed it! I am unsure if they can see my bird in the dark, seeing as they apparently can't see me properly! 

2019-11-23 11:12 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

Btw does anybody watch the ISL swimming? I have it on now and love the famous names in it but still find it all a bit odd! I don't know which team to support and that baffles me!

2019-11-24 2:58 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
A good week for me. Almost managed to hit all my workouts. Friday I showed up at the pool for a lunchtime swim, unfortunately they were moving the bulkhead, changing from 2 x 25m pools, to 1 x 50m one. As I'm on limited time at lunch, I wasn't able to wait around and get some laps in. which was disappointing. otherwise got it all done.

M: 45min run, easy
T: 60min bike, cruise intervals
W: 60min bike, easy
T: 750m swim / rest day
F: 45min run, intervals (missed 750m swim)
S: 90 min run, long
S: 120min bike, long, with fast finish

All up 7 1/4 hours for the week. So very happy with myself.

This week is going to be another disjointed one. I'm away for 3 days midweek on work, I'm running a Half Marathon with a friend on Sunday and my father in law is back in Hospital for another op on Monday. He really did win the lottery, this time one of the screw is too close to the nerve so causing big pain in 1 leg. So they have to go in and move it. Sucks. But hopefully all will be good after this one.

How were everyone else's weeks?
2019-11-24 4:05 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Andrew, great job last week! You crushed it!

Got a swim in with my squad this morning. Got in 2600 yds, then went and grabbed breakfast. It's nice that it's gearing up again, feels good to be back in the pool!

For beer, Friday night I had an Evil Genius Purple Monkey Dishwasher, which is a chocolate peanut butter porter. It was pretty tasty!
2019-11-25 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by bulfrog  How were everyone else's weeks?

Very solid week...blew off Bikram on Friday but more or less got everything else in.  Totals for the week:

3 swims, ~45 min, 2200 yards, sTSS = 50
5 cycling:  4.5 hours, 71 miles, TSS = 254
2 treadmill:  0.5 hours, ~2 miles, TSS = 22
4 ST/yoga:  ~1.5 hours

Total Time:  7.5 hours
Total SBR TSS:  326/320/340

Recovery week for me this week and I have a fitness test on Wednesday.  I haven't tried one of these in a while..hope I physically survive.  LOL

2019-11-26 7:29 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Great week, Mike!

Got in a swim with my squad this morning. ~2100 yds. It was a quality workout though!

How 'bout them Ravens?!

Have boot camp tomorrow and a turkey trot on Thursday. Hoping to get at least one other workout (probably a run) in while I'm up in PA this weekend, either at my mom's gym or just outside since I can do it in daylight

For those in the states, what are your travel plans and, if you're traveling, your plans to squeeze in workouts?!
2019-11-26 11:29 AM

User image

Great week, Mike!

Got in a swim with my squad this morning. ~2100 yds. It was a quality workout though!

How 'bout them Ravens?!

Have boot camp tomorrow and a turkey trot on Thursday. Hoping to get at least one other workout (probably a run) in while I'm up in PA this weekend, either at my mom's gym or just outside since I can do it in daylight

For those in the states, what are your travel plans and, if you're traveling, your plans to squeeze in workouts?!

Ravens?! Never more!
Lol, just kidding.

Not traveling for Thanksgiving, we're doing a family Turkey-Trot (walk/run with the kids). Thursday is my threshold day, so I'll have to figure out how to fit in my workout along with the Turkey-Trot, the cooking (we're hosting), & the eating.... so much eating. =)

2019-11-26 11:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I'm really excited about my 1/2 marathon coming up. I'm really happy with my run fitness. I've pretty much just been focusing on running, and I'm looking forward to getting back into biking & swimming too.

I'm thinking of doing a swim focus block for a month or two after the HM. Does anyone have any good resources for swim training?

I think my 2 goals other than generally getting better at freestyle, are going to be to learn how to flip turn, and maybe learn breast stroke.

We haven't had any pics in a while so here's a couple from my long run I did Sunday. My wife and I did 10 miles on the Clay Road loop in Clermont. It was absolutely beautiful with the sunrise.

Edited by riles32807 2019-11-26 12:10 PM
2019-11-27 1:24 PM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Great pics, Riles.  Mus be awesome running on clay.

Today was the joy of The Sufferfest Full Frontal 4DP Test.  It sucked.  Posted all-time PRs in the 5 second, 1 minute, and 5 minute tests and was a disaster in the 20 minute test (I had better power output for an entire 70-minute / 24 mile bike race in September).  I'm toast. 

Numbers if anyone cares:

5s neuromuscular:  709W

1' anaerobic capacity:   405W

5' maximal aerobic:  308W (this is a 15W improvement over Dec 2017)

20' functional threshold:  236W (using 255W as benchmark as I think this is low)

Happy Thanksgiving for you 'Mericans. 

2019-11-27 4:47 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by bulfrog

Originally posted by Qua17

Happy Sunday Everyone!

First off - thanks so much for the accountability.  Thanks to you, I was able to get into gear and meet my goal of finishing the week with 3 days of exercise.  I was also able to keep track of my food on my fitness pal for four days straight.  So that's a start.

This week, I'd like to: 1) Work out 4x, 2) Continue to keep track of my calories on MFP, and 3) try to be more active on Beginner Triathlete.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

DQ

Great job getting it done DQ.

As for walking vs. running, don't try to compare yourself to you 2 or 3 years ago. (Thats a problem I have all the time) Compare yourself to you a week ago, and focus on your improvements compared to that guy. Given time you will get back to where you were, but it will take a while. A 30 min walk, especially when you were doing nothing a few weeks ago, is absolutely a real workout! Don't put yourself down because you're not doing what you did when you were in marathon shape. you met your 3 workout goal, thats 100% a win.

And good luck for the coming week. I want to see a post Monday or Tuesday, telling us about your first workout

Thanks for the kind words Andrew!
2019-11-27 4:56 PM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

Expert
Well - my week got off to a slow start with no workouts Sunday - Tuesday, but I redeemed myself today by completing my Turkey Trot a day early. Since I have to work tomorrow, my girlfriend and I decided to get in our 3.1 mile walk tonight in the rain. It was a good walk/race - but I miss the comradery of a regular race. But the important thing is that I got it done and am now more active as a result of signing up for this virtual race.

Hope everyone has a great Turkey day! What's everyone drinking? I'm drinking two hearted ale by bells.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7810 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 942 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa