BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 48

2018-12-30 9:51 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open

GROUP FOCUS: General support, encouragement, and of course, BEER appreciation!! (also, all other kinds of wine and spirits!)

NAME: Gretchen/Drfoodlove

STORY: I've been tri-ing for about six years. I started after the 2012 Olympics aired and I seriously laid on the couch (eating chips) and said, that isn't that hard! when the triathlon was aired. Oh, the hubris!! I have since learned that it is, indeed, quite hard! I've done everything from a super-sprint to a HIM, with a full IM distance race on the schedule for 2019.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with one dog

CURRENT TRAINING: I'm training for MiTi full IM distance this year. This is my first year with a coach, so I'm super excited to see what the year brings. I have experience at the HIM distance, but this is my first IM distance, so I expect to learn a lot, work a lot, and sweat a lot. All good things in my book.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: A-Race: Michigan Titanium full IM distance tri (August 18). Other races tbd with coach, but everything is currently open. I hope to do a century ride in June, but nothing else is set.

UPCOMING YEAR'S GOALS: 1.) make it to the start of MiTi uninjured; 2.) consistently hit workouts set by coach; 3.) get faster in all 3 disciplines; 4.) find the right saddle; 5.) figure out how to fuel myself for a full distance tri

WEIGHTLOSS: Every season I lose the same 30ish pounds, but they find me again in the off season. This year, I hope to ditch them, plus a few of their friends, for good.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I have the gift of consistency--some liken me to a machine. I also have a good range of experiences and can help new triathletes (and experienced folks).

2019-01-02 2:12 PM
in reply to: #5253131

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open
Hey! We’re live for 2019!!

I forgot to add in beer preferences to the into (I was doing it in a hurry!), so copy the bio, add your preferences, and let us know about you!

Killer brick workout this afternoon. After a night with about three hours sleep total, I’m toasted.
2019-01-03 5:24 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

NAME: Andy/Andrew/Riles

STORY: Played sports through high school, soccer (sooo much soccer), lacrosse, track, x-country, DH skiing, mt biking. After college moved to Florida & played mens league rugby for several years before dislocating my shoulder several times. Decided to stop playing rugby before needing surgery made me stop. Struggled a long time with fitness & weight (still am), "doing my own thing" wasn't working. Two years ago I went to cheer my friend on for his first sprint (Cocoa Beach) and told him I would do it with him the next year. Did one sprint that summer (signed up for a 2nd but it was canceled due to a hurricane) , and Cocoa last year. Struggled with planter fasciitis last season but completed three more sprints.

FAMILY STATUS: Married; one 5 yo. robotics engineer; one 10 yo. going on 16.

CURRENT TRAINING: Family & work tend to put training in the back seat , but currently; 45-60 min OWS once a week (gotta love winter in Florida), 1-2 hr bike twice a week, running 20-30 min low intensity 3-4 times a week. Focusing on nutrition with the goal of loosing about 5 lb before I start the 8 week plan below, leading up to my April sprint. I plan to tweak as necessary to fit my schedule & use it for my Oly in September. That leaves about 12 weeks to fill in with ??
https://www.triathlete.com/2017/02/training/8-week-triathlon-trainin...

THIS YEAR'S RACES:
A-Race: Ft. Desoto series Oly (my first Oly!), September 14 (or other Sept. Oly race if red tide looks like it's going to be an issue again)
B-Race: Cocoa Beach Sprint, April 14
Others: probably 2 local sprints, & 1 Ft Desoto sprint

UPCOMING YEAR'S GOALS: 1.) Stay healthy - last season I struggled with planter fasciitis; 2.) Stay consistent - last year I lost motivation part way through the season; 3.) Be social - to help with #3, and it's just more fun; 4.) The perpetual improve my swimming

WEIGHTLOSS: Yes please. Last year's off season I went off the rails and gained 10+ lbs. I tried to jump back into intense training & I believe that was the cause of my planter fasciitis issues. This year I kept my weight pretty steady through the off season/holidays. I still want to loose 5 lbs before I start intense training (I'm also ramping up my training better) and hope to loose another 5-10 lbs during the season.

DRINK OF CHOICE: Most micro brew IPAs, reds, or porters.
2019-01-03 9:39 AM
in reply to: #5253267

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Welcome Andy!!

1800yd swim for me this morning. Everything seemed to fall off the rails after about 1400, but I held on to finish the prescribed workout. Still getting my swim form and endurance back for sure. That’s #5 for the year (in case I decide to track again this year).
2019-01-03 4:19 PM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

I'm in for another year - will do my bio at some point.  Just got back from five days in Orlando - great weather but somehow I got sick in 80 degree weather.  

2019-01-03 9:16 PM

User image

Nice Gretchen
I'm psyched that the triathlon club I just joined is going to be doing swim sessions twice a month with a Tri specific coach I was looking at working with this year.

Hey Mike,
Other than the illness suvineer, hope you had a good trip.

2019-01-04 8:23 AM
in reply to: #5253320

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Slow morning run today. I was really feeling the training load in my legs yesterday, but it felt good to stretch them out a little and run. Garmin lost its ever loving mind though and recorded a huge triangle shaped path that I didn’t run (couldn’t, as it would have gone through a building).

Now to spend the rest of the day with my mother in law. An endurance test of an entirely different kind!!
2019-01-04 12:19 PM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Ha! I just posted in last year's b/c I was thinking this wasn't happening this year. Thanks for getting us started, Gretchen!

NAME: Nicole

STORY: Currently live in Baltimore, MD, I grew up in PA competing in various sports, including track (HS and College), XC (just college), Volleyball (still play today), swimming, softball, basketball and soccer. Always wanted to do Tris, so bought a bike in 2008...competed in my first tri in 2013...only a little delayed! Try to do a few sprints a year, and also did my first Oly in 2017. I currently work in finance but am studying to be a dietitian, so don't have much free time, but typically fill it with some sort of exercise (volleyball, football, or just going for a run/going to the gym).

FAMILY STATUS: Single mom of my furbaby, Raven (kitty)

CURRENT TRAINING: I swim in the winters, but haven't been training much. Hope to do at least one swim meet a month, then a sprint and/or Oly this summer, then the Baltimore Sprint tri that I've done every year they've had it for the last 5 years.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: See above. Have only signed up for the Baltimore Tri, but will likely do the Diamond in the Rough and one or two others.

UPCOMING YEAR'S GOALS: Be healthier all around! I want to lose at least 10 lbs by summer and meal prep consistently. This will help my tri goals fall into place. I also want to do yoga more consistently, and foam roll.

WEIGHT LOSS: 10 lbs by summer, maybe 15-17 total if I can really get into a groove...that would get me close to my weight in college, which would be awesome.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I tend to post regularly, which I think is important in these groups to keep people feeling connected to others who are on a similar journey to them. I also try to be really positive and support others, whether they have accomplished something awesome or have fallen out of their routine and are trying to get back into it! I use way too many exclamation points, so I apologize in advance for that.

FAVORITE BEER: Sooooo I'm not going to be drinking much in January and am not drinking in February at all. Need to reset my body. BUT I realized recently that I LOVE stouts. I also love red wine and am more likely to have a glass of that than a beer. I honestly don't know why y'all allow me in this group!
2019-01-04 10:37 PM
in reply to: nicole14e

User image

Originally posted by nicole14e
I honestly don't know why y'all allow me in this group!

Because like drinking; triathlon is more fun with friends! =)
2019-01-05 8:53 AM
in reply to: #5253375

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Run this morning. It wasn’t very good due to some stomach issues, but it is done. I’m beginning to think my MIL’s cooking doesn’t go well with running.
2019-01-05 10:22 AM

User image

Morning swim & run with my Tri club. My first ever pool swim! Heated pool, I could get used to that!

2019-01-05 11:15 AM
in reply to: riles32807

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by riles32807

Morning swim & run with my Tri club. My first ever pool swim! Heated pool, I could get used to that!

How warm was the pool? Some of the people I swim with complain about our 82 degree pool, which I actually find to be just fine.
First ever pool swim though...very cool!
2019-01-05 11:18 AM

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Masters practice this morning, I actually ended up coaching b/c it's the normal coach's bday and she was heading down to Richmond. I was able to hop in a couple times and get some yards in. We did a 400 yd kick for this virtual meet thing, so I got in for that, and then later did:

4x100 IM on 2:00
8x50 (odds fr, evens bk) on 1:05
16x25 IM order on :45

Felt pretty good considering it been a few weeks since I've done anything remotely resembling exercise!

I also roasted a chicken last night and am currently making chicken stock so I can make some soup in my instant pot. Yay meal prep!
2019-01-05 6:08 PM

User image

I didn't think to check the pool temp. Their website says they keep it 78-82. Whatever it was, it was beautiful compared to my usual lake swim. =)
2019-01-06 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

OK - finally getting around to posting my bio.

NAME:  Mike (jmhpsu93)

LOCATION:  about 15 minutes east of where Nicole lives (I'm in Middle River, MD), 5 minutes from where the Baltimore Tri is (which I've never done), and I also belong to the same gym/pool as Nicole and somehow in the 4 years we've been in this mentor group together we haven't met in person LOL

EXPERIENCE:  XC/track in high school, volleyball/basketball in college, continued the weekend warrior athelete thing through my 20s (played lots of beach doubles in the 90s when it was popular), got married and had a kid, gained 30 lbs.  Decided to do the Baltimore half marathon in 2007 and had a great time training and racing.  My wife had done a couple of those Danskin women's triathlons after having our daugther and I thought it would be cool to do so I signed up for one in 2010, never having swam for exercise.  First pool swim lasted about 5 minutes.   Got through the training and the race (including a 5K PR during the tri) and I was hooked.  I have 6 HMs and about 7-8 tris under my belt.  Best season was 2013-2014.  Been dealing with injuries ever since (mostly low back)

FAMILY:  Wife an 16YO daughter who swims year round and was faster than me by the time she was 11.  

TRAINING:  Mostly cycling and a little swimming, looking to up both this year and get running again.  Currently doing nothing as I have a nasty chest cold 

RACING:  TBD triathon, might do a couple of bike races if I get up the nerve

MY MENTOR/MENTEE EXPERIENCE:  Been in a mentor group since 2011, I'm on the webs often and still participate in the main forums (one of like 10 of us LOL).  This group really doesn't have a main mentor - we rely on our collective experiences and strangely we mostly agree.  

FAVORITE BEER:  Ballast Point Sculpin, Bear Republic Racer 5 IPA (I really should move to CA).  Local favorites are Heavy Seas Loose Cannon.  Also love the red wine, CA cabs for the most part.

2019-01-06 9:12 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by riles32807 Morning swim & run with my Tri club. My first ever pool swim! Heated pool, I could get used to that!

Congrats!  The good news is that you won't have any problem translating your pool work to outdoors.

As for pool temp, I prefer around 78 but it's all over the place sometimes.  I've swam as low as 68 (when the pool heater was broken OMG that was cold) to like 88 (which is like swimming in a hot tub).  You just have to adjust to it.

2019-01-06 12:28 PM
in reply to: #5253445

User image

, Vermont
NAME: Jenn

STORY: 48.5 years old, live in Vermont. I did my first tri probably in 2014? I started off with sprints and Olys then the following year did Oly’s and was signed up for Tupper Lake Toughman Tinman HIM but tweaked my knee so switched to Aquabike that year. 2016 I did Tupper Lake Tinman again to prep for IMMT. I went up to Mont Tremblant a few times to train on course (so beautiful) and went into IMMT well prepared. Horrible weather that year (race was almost canceled), wound up getting hypothermia and dropped 60 miles into the bike. I was racing well so it was a HUGE disappointment. Two weeks later I did Big George HIM in Lake George, NY because I was so mad. Haha. Felt great, got 2nd in my age group and destroyed my left piriformis in the process. I had to take 2017 off from racing from that injury and it’s been a very slow comeback and I’m not in nearly the shape I used to be. I was supposed to do IMLP this past summer but due to a death in the family we (sis-in-law and i) deferred to 2019, so no racing this past year either. I went back to work full time in fall of 2017 as well so was gone for lots of training for that. 2019 will be training for both Ironman Lake Placid and IM 70.3 Mont Tremblant so we’ll see how that goes.. I’ve just taken on a new job - HUGE news for me, and started my first day on Friday 01/04/19, so I’m in Louisville for the next 8-10 weeks training on the 757/767 to fly for UPS. I’m beside myself excited to be back on this airframe again. I brought my bike and trainer down with me, so it’s set up in the hotel room. Now I just have to stay consistent. I may only post sporadically over the next bunch of weeks as training for the job will be intense, but I’ll do my best to keep up with you all!

FAMILY STATUS: married, 2 boys (11 & 13), dog named Starsky

CURRENT TRAINING: I’m following the Be Iron Fit program again as it prepared well before. I will likely incorporate all three plans they have throughout just due to my schedule (competitive or intermediate) when I can, but at least the Just Finish. My goal this year with all the craziness is to just finish.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: A-Race: IMLP in late July, B race: IMMT 70.3 in late June

UPCOMING YEAR'S GOALS: This year I’ll just try to be consistent as best I can with some kind of training. Eating right could also be a challenge as well on the road. My significant travel schedule will present many challenges but I’ll work with it best I can.

WEIGHTLOSS: i don’t so much need to lose weight as maintain it and get back in shape. I’m only a couple of pounds above race weight but man, am I out of shape.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I will be a good mentee because I come from the land of craft beers. Hahaha. I love to read up and follow others’ progress and be their cheerleader when needed. I have a little bit of experience in different length tri’s and can pass along tidbits of things I’ve learned along the way and by the same token am always looking to learn more about this thing we call triathlon.
2019-01-06 1:22 PM
in reply to: #5253481

User image

, Vermont
Got my bike up on the trainer yesterday in the hotel and did a quick 5 minute check on it. I’m going to need to be cognizant of the room below me, don’t want to tick them off too early in the process. Haha. Followed that up with a short 2 mile zone 2 slog on the treadmill at the hotel. The hotel gym is tiny and it was full of Guard guys and got hot very fast. After 2 miles my face was beet red and I was dripping so I walked another mile.

Found a gym that would give a few of us here a free week’s pass so another guy from my class and I went this morning to swim. Humbling as I start, yet again, on this aspect. Got 1600 yards in or so. I say or so because I think the pool is 20 yards, I’ll confirm that. (Though I’d like to think I’m fast...but I’m not. Haha). I might get a bike in later; it’s gorgeous here today so may go for a long hike/walk instead. I didn’t bring a bike helmet with me (it’s “winter” after all) and am regretting it a bit. What a gorgeous day!
2019-01-06 1:26 PM
in reply to: #5253484

User image

, Vermont
Oh! Beer preference!! I’m not into super hoppy beer, but like stouts, ales, wheat beers, some fruity beers, pretty much anything that’s not super hoppy.
I’m currently drinking Bell’s Two Hearted Ale here in Louisville..... waiting for DQ to comment because I know he likes it!! I’ve actually got a 6 pack sitting on the floor next to me as I type!
2019-01-06 4:32 PM
in reply to: jmhpsu93

User image

Baltimore, Maryland
Originally posted by jmhpsu93

I also belong to the same gym/pool as Nicole and somehow in the 4 years we've been in this mentor group together we haven't met in person LOL

We seriously need to fix that this season. We should get a swim or bike in soon! Maybe bike not so soon haha but I really need to get out on it more than I have in the past.
2019-01-06 5:38 PM
in reply to: #5253485

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
1:45 trainer ride today (as I watched the Chargers beat the Ravens!) followed by a short 20’ brick run. Both felt pretty good.

I just found out that I can't put my hub based powermeter on my 11 speed tri bike. So...I'm in the market for a new power meter (ouch!). Anyone have any insight? I'm thinking crank based, but don't have my heart set yet. Thoughts on left only? It is so much more economical.

2019-01-06 5:49 PM
in reply to: #5253492

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Jenn! Congrats on the new job!
2019-01-06 9:56 PM
in reply to: #5253493

User image

, Vermont
Gretchen, I have powertap pedals (ended up getting dual side) so I could swap them between bikes easily. Part of my reasoning was my cranks on each bike are different lengths so the pedals made more sense for me. You may not be in the same boat. I will say though, it’s super quick to pop them off one bike and over to the other.
2019-01-06 9:57 PM
in reply to: #5253499

User image

, Vermont

BY: drfoodlove on 2019-01-06 5:49 PM

Jenn! Congrats on the new job!

Thank you!!
2019-01-07 5:19 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Originally posted by drfoodlove 1:45 trainer ride today (as I watched the Chargers beat the Ravens!) followed by a short 20’ brick run. Both felt pretty good. I just found out that I can't put my hub based powermeter on my 11 speed tri bike. So...I'm in the market for a new power meter (ouch!). Anyone have any insight? I'm thinking crank based, but don't have my heart set yet. Thoughts on left only? It is so much more economical.

Two things:

RE:  Chargers/Ravens - I'm not talking to you! 

RE:  hub-based PM...why not?  10 speed only hub?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker's Appreciation Society--Always Open Rss Feed  

of 48

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Gals Masters Mentor Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by k9car363
Views: 7596 Posts: 105

2019-12-26 4:19 AM k9car363

sdalcher Beginning Tri Group - Open

Started by sdalcher
Views: 924 Posts: 4

2018-04-04 7:28 PM leatherneckpa