BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-14 2:59 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by tdl1972

Ok, I tried to enter a couple of the challenges. I don’t know if I did them right or not, or if my info saved even correctly. I think I’m may need an additional challenge page for “figured out how to log stuff in correctly today”. My goal will be to get it right at least four times a week.
David I have added the formulae to your columns in the weight loss challenge so all you need to do now is enter your weight in the green box (called a cell in excel) each Monday.
I have also extended the formulae across to your column in the keep on moving challenge. So you should be all good to go now.

2019-01-14 4:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Illinois
It's Manatee Challenge Monday!!!!!
At the last minute, I added myself to the Good Eating Challenge and copied the formulas (formulae???). Hoping I didn't screw up the spreadsheet

Edited by abake 2019-01-14 4:44 AM
2019-01-14 8:25 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Weird push-up story here..... I have NEVER been able to do pushups, until this year! Not sure why--I am pretty strong in some other ways--excel at certain exercises like lat pulldowns, and am a pro at handling heavy luggage, toting pet carriers, moving furniture, and the like, but I've been resorting to what we used to call "girly" push-ups (on knees) all my athletic life. Somehow I could never manage to come up again after going down.... I always chalked it up to a "center of gravity" issue. I'm lanky with long arms and legs for my height, and that makes some exercises awkward. Pull-ups are also difficult to impossible, even though I held a national record for the flexed arm hang for years as a kid. (Endurance vs. explosive strength, clearly!) I didn't do any real strength training between January last year until early December--my early 2018 season got totally thrown off with my dad's death in late January, and trying to build back after four months of no running in fall of 2017. Then in December I started doing these nasty 45-minute long strength routines that my coach gave me, 2-3X a week. They didn't involve push-ups, but a ton of planks and fairly heavy (for me) lifting of free weights. But the new routine this month did call for push-ups. I literally forgot that I couldn't do normal ones since I hadn't' tried in so long. Had just finished a plank set so I was already in that position. I did five of them before I remembered, "Wait--I can't do regular push-ups." Stopped for a rest and did the remaining five. They are not beautiful and a football coach (if I were a HS boy) would probably be sticking his foot on my back and pushing me down further, but I am going down and coming up, my chest is leading (not pelvis or head) and my back is flat. No idea how this happened! Or how long I may have actually been able to do them but never did because I just accepted the fact that I couldn't!

Amazing! YOU ROCK!

2019-01-14 8:28 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm

Originally posted by StaceyK
Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by StaceyK I have entered my weight and mileage in kilograms and kilometers as it makes more sense to me and it means I don't have to convert them each week. Looking at the formulae in the spreadsheet it shouldn't create any problems.

Maybe some spreadsheet wiz can make a converter

I found a handy little app for my phone that converts a whole heap of different stuff some I have changed my weight and mileage back to your weird pound and miles

I was teasing! The spreadsheet is for you (well, each of us. you know what I mean!) and whatever you enter should make sense to you. Who cares if it makes sense to us! If I am too dumb to do the kg to lb conversion in my head, that should be on *me* to update the spreadsheet.

2019-01-14 8:33 AM
in reply to: BIGGODlilme

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by BIGGODlilme Hi Jayne, I live in the SW part of VA. This is Buck, he is our 11 year old German Shep/Husky. He is a little agravated by my Mom's golden in this pic (he is newly 1). Buck has reminded us on many occaisions he will only allow visiting dogs

Haha! Once we had a dog, Hannah, who was about a year and a half when we adopted a rescue dog. After about a week, we let Penny, the rescue dog, come on the Big Bed. At this point, Hannah realized that Penny was not merely a visitor. The look on Hannah's face was a very clear, "You mean she's STAYING!" Dogs are so funn!

Erin, you are in good company, geographically speaking. Jen Stewey and Laura are both in the DC area and I think TJ's son is in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area. I am near Raleigh and Robin P is in western North Carolina.

2019-01-14 9:13 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by abake It's Manatee Challenge Monday!!!!! At the last minute, I added myself to the Good Eating Challenge and copied the formulas (formulae???). Hoping I didn't screw up the spreadsheet

I added myself to the core/strength challenge in the hopes of getting a couple days of core or stretching or strength mixed in.  I'd love to get back to the number of core exercises and push-ups I could do in my TKD days but for now I'll settle for getting a routine established.

2019-01-14 9:14 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

I love when pet pictures abound in the manatee thread! 

2019-01-14 9:26 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by Hot Runner Your stepdaughter should move to Idaho. State law is to card EVERYONE who buys alcohol, regardless of apparent age or size. I guess that takes the guesswork and awkwardness out of it. You have 14 year olds who look 21 as well as older people who look younger. My 80-year old mom was carded when she bought a bottle of wine for New Years!

Georgia cards every person every time as well - at least in retail stores. They're required to enter the date of birth in the computer so have to have it. Over Christmas, my mom, grandma and I were in the Atlanta airport and decided to get some wine before departure. The waitress automatically asked for each of our IDs (I'm 39, mom is 68 and grandma just turned 90). Well, 90-year-old grandma had left her purse with my Dad so didn't have ID but the waitress was kind enough to go ahead and serve her after some internal deliberation, LOL! 

2019-01-14 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Erin, if you are the Erin that requested to be in the Strava group, you are in! 

2019-01-14 11:17 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Okay, stupid question - I tried to put the new Manatee member chart on my log page, but it turned into a jumbled mess. How can I just copy and paste (cheat and paste) the chart from someone else?
2019-01-14 11:26 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by fortissimo Okay, stupid question - I tried to put the new Manatee member chart on my log page, but it turned into a jumbled mess. How can I just copy and paste (cheat and paste) the chart from someone else?

Keep in mind that I already messed up the spread sheet and am not guaranteed not to do it again - I think you need to have the google sheets app. 

2019-01-14 11:49 AM
in reply to: fortissimo

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by fortissimo Okay, stupid question - I tried to put the new Manatee member chart on my log page, but it turned into a jumbled mess. How can I just copy and paste (cheat and paste) the chart from someone else?

In BT, go to Tools > Source Code

Copy everything between the two table tags. Go to your training log page and go to Tools > Source code and paste it in.

Active Manatees

Once a Manatee, always a Manatee

2019 thread #1 
Challenge sheet
Adam (awm007)Kirsten (IronOx)
Anne (abake)Laura Y (Atlantia)
Ann-Marie (amd723)Lisa (lisac957)
Chris (cdban66)Mary G (marysia83)
David (tdl1972)Melanie (melbo55)
Erin (BIGGODlilme)Nancy (glfprncs)
Janyne (jmkizer)Randee (MtnBikerChk)
Jen Snyder (juniperjen)Robin K (fortissimo)
Jen Stewey (jenstewey)Robin P (ceilidh)
Jim (JBacarella)Stacey (StaceyK)
Karen (Hot Runner) TJ (rrrunner)
Karl (kbhanson3) 
2019-01-14 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Copy everything between the two table tags. Go to your training log page and go to Tools > Source code and paste it in.

Active Manatees

Once a Manatee, always a Manatee

2019 thread #1 
Challenge sheet
Adam (awm007)Kirsten (IronOx)
Anne (abake)Laura Y (Atlantia)
Ann-Marie (amd723)Lisa (lisac957)
Chris (cdban66)Mary G (marysia83)
David (tdl1972)Melanie (melbo55)
Erin (BIGGODlilme)Nancy (glfprncs)
Janyne (jmkizer)Randee (MtnBikerChk)
Jen Snyder (juniperjen)Robin K (fortissimo)
Jen Stewey (jenstewey)Robin P (ceilidh)
Jim (JBacarella)Stacey (StaceyK)
Karen (Hot Runner) TJ (rrrunner)
Karl (kbhanson3) 

hahaha, see i was all focused on the manatee challenge I thought you were talking about that! Ignore me!! (BTW, that's sound advice for most things  

ETA: NM my edit!

Edited by amd723 2019-01-14 12:59 PM
2019-01-14 1:00 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Expert
Illinois
Just curious, how many of you are on Zwift?
2019-01-14 1:04 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by amd723

hahaha, see i was all focused on the manatee challenge I thought you were talking about that! Ignore me!! (BTW, that's sound advice for most things  

ETA: NM my edit!

I thought the same thing.

2019-01-14 1:28 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake Just curious, how many of you are on Zwift?

Me!!! I'll be there bright and early on Wednesday :-)

Adam is in there too. Who else?

2019-01-14 1:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Expert
Illinois

I thought I saw you in there, I may have given you a Ride on?
2019-01-14 1:58 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I stand by my intention to only ride outside, so I still do not own a trainer. Thus, no Zwifting.

I'm too cheap and I live in an area that *should* allow for year round riding outside.

2019-01-14 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by cdban66

I stand by my intention to only ride outside, so I still do not own a trainer. Thus, no Zwifting.

I'm too cheap and I live in an area that *should* allow for year round riding outside.

I live in the same type of area, but time constraints do not allow me to ride outside all the time my plan has me riding, so i do the trainer thing during the week and ride outside on the weekend (except for the last few weeks).  No zwifting for me though, I made the switch to the sufferfest. 

2019-01-14 2:22 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by BIGGODlilme

Hi Jayne,
I live in the SW part of VA. This is Buck, he is our 11 year old German Shep/Husky. He is a little agravated by my Mom's golden in this pic (he is newly 1). Buck has reminded us on many occaisions he will only allow visiting dogs

Oh nice! What part, if you don't mind me asking? I grew up there in the mountains in Scott County VA.
2019-01-14 2:38 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I'm on Zwift as Nancy Schwertfeger.

I rode with Sara True and Jan Frodeno last month for about 2 seconds!!

2019-01-14 3:22 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by cdban66

I live in the same type of area, but time constraints do not allow me to ride outside all the time my plan has me riding, so i do the trainer thing during the week and ride outside on the weekend (except for the last few weeks).  No zwifting for me though, I made the switch to the sufferfest. 

Zwift has been a game changer for me. I don't have a power meter but my cheapish trainer allows Zwift to compute power. Between knowing my power output (which needs serious work!) and the engaging environment, it's made an enormous difference in my desire to ride inside (particularly when using the workouts). I still greatly prefer outside for long rides, but for doing speed/power work, I get a much better workout via Zwift.

(PS - this site is a great way to find workouts )
edit: added link above

Edited by awm007 2019-01-14 3:23 PM
2019-01-14 8:39 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No Zwift for me. I just don't get into VR stuff (assuming that's what it is). Plus I am embarrassed at how sucky my power numbers are. (Yes, I know I am light weight and it doesn't look that bad as watts/kilo, but still....My 5 minute power is probably what Ryf, or maybe even Rinny, holds for the entire IM. Or maybe less....) I ride outside when I can (NOT in Idaho winter--I just don't enjoy riding when temps for most of the ride dip below 50 or so. Yes, I know I am a wimp.) and for serious power work and cold weather, I am on my trainer doing my coach's workouts with a power meter. I love watching videos of scenic rides in Europe. I have hiked or biked in some of these places and sometimes almost manage to convince myself I am riding there rather than in our spare bedroom.
2019-01-14 8:52 PM

That is awesome!
2019-01-14 8:54 PM

Awesome thanks, I am brand new to strava and it may take a back seat to studying at this point
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107