BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-17 9:05 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm

Originally posted by ceilidh

Originally posted by juniperjen

Happy Thursday! It's technically my Friday since i have tomorrow off so i can be home with my daughter because the school is out for the day. I need to run. I need to lube my treadmill belt. It's looking quite frigid this weekend, so Manatees, while i have run in all kinds of cold i think this may be my threshold. I might try to do my 10 miles (16k) tomorrow but tell me how bad would it be to do on the treadmill if i can't get it in tomorrow? 

BAD!! However, It is a great mental workout!

haha, that is a true statement!! I did my 10 miles this morning since i will be up in the NE this weekend and with that stupid storm I knew I'd probably be forced to use the hotel treadmill.

2019-01-17 9:10 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Happy Thursday! It's technically my Friday since i have tomorrow off so i can be home with my daughter because the school is out for the day. I need to run. I need to lube my treadmill belt. It's looking quite frigid this weekend, so Manatees, while i have run in all kinds of cold i think this may be my threshold. I might try to do my 10 miles (16k) tomorrow but tell me how bad would it be to do on the treadmill if i can't get it in tomorrow? 

No bad at all! Just get 'er done.

2019-01-17 9:47 AM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I've done I think 18 miles on the treadmill before. Just break it up into manageable chunks. Maybe do 5K, 5K, 6K.

Let yourself step off for a minute to re-fill water or stretch - for, me, getting a physical break every hour or so was key. Hopefully you have Netflix or something queued up that you can watch? I think I did a few episodes of TV (or sports, I love watching college basketball) alternated with my favorite music for variety. 

2019-01-17 9:48 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

No bad at all! Just get 'er done.

See.... She is a pro at Maximum Enthusiasm!!

2019-01-17 10:05 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by melbo55

2019 goals, now that's a bit of a tough one, in some ways.

Main goal: lose weight (OMG I sound like a freaking broken record)

Other goals: break 7 hours at 70.3 Muncie (yes, I am slow compared to most).  This will largely be dependent on my knee(s) and the heat.  I came oh so close at LP last year (7:12) which is much hillier on the bike and run but blessedly cool/cold.  If I break 7 hours at Muncie AND my knees will allow it, I hope to get into SOS for 2020.  I will definitely want to be on top of my game at this race, so weight and knee happiness will be goals for 2020 as well.  If I fail at either the sub-7 or successfully getting through the SOS registration gauntlet, that will be it, I will not keep pursuing the SOS goal beyond 2020.  I'm too old for such follies!

Get out in my kayak more than I did this past summer, I think I was only on the water 2, maybe 3 times.

ok, i'll ask and show my ignorance - what is SOS?!

Melanie I hope that you get into SOS, that race looks like quite the cool deal!

If this the one she is shooting for, I've heard it is really cool. https://www.sostriathlon.com/

Yup, that's the one!  Difficult to get into and difficult to complete but I welcome the challenge, should I get the opportunity.

2019-01-17 10:08 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK I've been thinking a fair bit about my 2019 goals and I have also been thinking about a vlog I watched a few weeks ago that talked about Goal Body v Goal Weight and rather than focusing on the number on the scales focusing on what you want your body to be able to do and how you want it to feel. This has been a total mind switch for me. So my 2019 goals in no particular order are: 1. run/walk 2019 km in 2019 (that equates to about 25 miles a week) 2. be able to do 20 push ups - going right the way down not the half way things that I can currently manage 3. run the trails more and have fun doing it 4. go under 5 hours at the October marathon that i have planned and watch my friend cross the line of her first marathon 5. create wonderful memories with people that I love while being active outside 6. keep my brain free from food chatter Its the first time in nearly a decade that I haven't had a weight related goal on my list and it feels great. That doesn't mean I don't want to lose a little bit more weight it just is no longer something that I need to write down because I am well down the path and I'm cementing habits now that mean if I keep doing what I'm doing that the last little bit will come off and none of it will go back on.

Great goals, Stacey, and the bolded part is especially interesting.  Would you mind sharing the name of the vlog?

2019-01-17 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Good day all, I just want you all to know that the goals have been awesome. 

Stacey - Your move from Weight based thought to Body based thought is pretty darn smart. The arbitrariness(?) of a number is really a convoluted thought process. Easy to do, since a number can be a simple tracking device but wow, do we all seem to get wrapped up in it. And your thought process is so much better.

Jen - 10 miles is about 9 more than I want to do on a treadmill. But, you sometimes gotta do what you gotta do.

Melanie - I believe there may be a Race Report for SOS in here somewhere. I remember reading it a while back and thinking "wow, now that is a cool race." I believe it was Chris Menjou, who is in Fred's Facebook group. If you aren't in there, let us know. I think a few of us are and some of the discussions are interesting. And much like the rest of FaceBook, some are worthless 

2019-01-17 10:27 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by amd723

2019 goals, now that's a bit of a tough one, in some ways.

Main goal: lose weight (OMG I sound like a freaking broken record)

Other goals: break 7 hours at 70.3 Muncie (yes, I am slow compared to most).  This will largely be dependent on my knee(s) and the heat.  I came oh so close at LP last year (7:12) which is much hillier on the bike and run but blessedly cool/cold.  If I break 7 hours at Muncie AND my knees will allow it, I hope to get into SOS for 2020.  I will definitely want to be on top of my game at this race, so weight and knee happiness will be goals for 2020 as well.  If I fail at either the sub-7 or successfully getting through the SOS registration gauntlet, that will be it, I will not keep pursuing the SOS goal beyond 2020.  I'm too old for such follies!

Get out in my kayak more than I did this past summer, I think I was only on the water 2, maybe 3 times.

ok, i'll ask and show my ignorance - what is SOS?!

Melanie I hope that you get into SOS, that race looks like quite the cool deal!

If this the one she is shooting for, I've heard it is really cool. https://www.sostriathlon.com/

Yup, that's the one!  Difficult to get into and difficult to complete but I welcome the challenge, should I get the opportunity.

BE MORE EPIC!

2019-01-17 10:27 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK I've been thinking a fair bit about my 2019 goals and I have also been thinking about a vlog I watched a few weeks ago that talked about Goal Body v Goal Weight and rather than focusing on the number on the scales focusing on what you want your body to be able to do and how you want it to feel. This has been a total mind switch for me. So my 2019 goals in no particular order are: 1. run/walk 2019 km in 2019 (that equates to about 25 miles a week) 2. be able to do 20 push ups - going right the way down not the half way things that I can currently manage 3. run the trails more and have fun doing it 4. go under 5 hours at the October marathon that i have planned and watch my friend cross the line of her first marathon 5. create wonderful memories with people that I love while being active outside 6. keep my brain free from food chatter Its the first time in nearly a decade that I haven't had a weight related goal on my list and it feels great. That doesn't mean I don't want to lose a little bit more weight it just is no longer something that I need to write down because I am well down the path and I'm cementing habits now that mean if I keep doing what I'm doing that the last little bit will come off and none of it will go back on.

Great goals, Stacey, and the bolded part is especially interesting.  Would you mind sharing the name of the vlog?

Yes, please.

2019-01-17 1:34 PM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by kbhanson3

No one has goals for the year?!

OK, I'll go first

• Stronger core - strength train at least twice a week --Strength train an average of at least twice a week over the course of the year. By this I mean a workout of at least 15-20 minutes at least twice a week. The workout could be the RDP core workout, the functional strength workout, a TRX-style workout, etc. I don't want Body Comp to be a focus for the year. I think it would be more useful for me to focus on strength.
  • Stay on top of PT exercises
  • More fun! Ride with friends!
  • Pump up the volume! (as compared to 2017-2018)
  • Try something new - new venue, new event. (maybe a trail run? or a new-to-me mountain ride?)
  • Event related goals, other than the try something new one, is have a specific time in mind for Myrtle Beach. To reach this goal, I have loaded the Advanced Marathon Plan [balanced] and completed all of the workouts to the best of my ability.
  • I don't really have specific time goals for Chattanooga or Lake Logan. Well, it would be really nice to come in at sub 6:15 at Lake Logan. (2016 - 6:22, 2017 - 6:09, 2018 - 6:34)
  • Other stuff that I wrote down but don't have a good way to measure: Mental toughness. BE MORE EPIC.

I haven't set any goals for 2019 other than a weight loss goal of getting down to 250 by April 9 (set by my doctor at my last checkup), which I should crush thanks in no small part to our Manatee challenge. So thank you for putting this out to the pod. It's inspiring me to focus on some goals. I'll report back soon!
Goals for 2019
1. Get weight down to 235 or less. This is the first domino that needs to fall to help my other goals be more achievable or at least more enjoyable. I agree with the comments about the weight number not being important. I've fluctuated between 220 and 280 over the last several years, and I've concluded that I feel my best when I am somewhere between 220-230. Long term, I would like to live in that range. But equally important to me is how I get there so that the journey is enjoyable and the method is sustainable. No keto for me!
2. Improve my strength, particularly my core.
3. Do my first century ride. Tied in with this is my desire/plan to get back to doing more group rides. We have a good bike club here (North Flordia Bike Club) that organizes rides every weekend so I have no good reason not to be on the road more.
4. Complete a HIM aqua bike.
5. Hike two 14ers this summer. DW & I love to hike, particularly mountains, and we're planning a trip to Denver & Breckenridge this summer to do some hiking. We hiked Mt. Elbert a few years ago and loved it. Also spring breaking near Brevard, NC so looking forward to some good hikes there too.
6. Finally, do better with combining training/exercising with others to help it be more enjoyable and to develop more/better friendships.

On an unrelated note, has anyone else noticed New Year's exercise resolutions seeming to be less this year than in the past? I've heard several people in different places comment about it, and it certainly has been the case at my Y.
2019-01-17 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Yes, please.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Y0IM8uBRY

The clog is from a lady called Susan Pierce Thomson who has a Phd in Cognitive and Brain Sciences and wrote a program called Bright Line Eating. She talks a lot about how our brain chemistry is affected by food and also how our brain chemistry drives what we eat. I have found it truely amazing and has given me great insight into why when I start eating certain foods I just can't stop.

2019-01-17 4:36 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by StaceyK

Yes, please.

The clog is from a lady called Susan Pierce Thomson who has a Phd in Cognitive and Brain Sciences and wrote a program called Bright Line Eating. She talks a lot about how our brain chemistry is affected by food and also how our brain chemistry drives what we eat. I have found it truely amazing and has given me great insight into why when I start eating certain foods I just can't stop.

The only reason I hesitate to watch this is my fear they would say something bad about chocolate......
2019-01-17 6:40 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by StaceyK

Yes, please.

The only reason I hesitate to watch this is my fear they would say something bad about chocolate......
Nothing bad about chocolate in that particular vlog
2019-01-17 7:29 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
There CAN'T be anything bad about chocolate!
2019-01-17 9:31 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Hot Runner

There CAN'T be anything bad about chocolate!
Oh I sooooo wish there wasn't but for me there is and this is something that I have had to recognise and accept in the last few months
2019-01-18 6:43 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by lisac957

I've done I think 18 miles on the treadmill before. Just break it up into manageable chunks. Maybe do 5K, 5K, 6K.

Let yourself step off for a minute to re-fill water or stretch - for, me, getting a physical break every hour or so was key. Hopefully you have Netflix or something queued up that you can watch? I think I did a few episodes of TV (or sports, I love watching college basketball) alternated with my favorite music for variety. 

Totally agree. Run for X minutes with the bargain to yourself that you'll hop off for a water refill, stretch, etc. then repeat.

2019-01-18 8:45 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by awm007

Originally posted by lisac957

Totally agree. Run for X minutes with the bargain to yourself that you'll hop off for a water refill, stretch, etc. then repeat.

The only way I can manage treadmill or elliptical is when I am watching something. I choose series that are extremely intriguing, so I want to keep watching, and even go for another episode.... Not realizing I keep running. Otherwise, I am able to manage treadmill for 3 minutes..... (that feel like 3 hours...)
2019-01-18 11:35 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

January 19-20
Melanie - Frozen Foot Winter Series #1 on Sunday
Stacey - Snakes and Ladders Trail 15k on Sunday

Is anyone else racing?

2019-01-18 11:47 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Racing Manatees!!!

January 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Have fun ladies!
2019-01-18 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Racing Manatees!!!

January 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Have fun ladies! Don't Freeze Mel. Don't melt Stacey.

2019-01-18 11:49 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

January 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Stay warm and have fun, racers!

Bit of a proof of life post...shutdown impact is starting to hit other parts of my company, which trickles over to my group. I managed to get outside for some fresh air yesterday and it was amazing. I hadn't realized how cooped up I had been feeling.

2019-01-18 1:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Racing Manatees!!!

January 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Stacey, that is simply the best race name!  If I'm ever in your part of the world I will try to make it happen during this race so I can do it!   Good luck and have fun!  Are any other members of Team Turtle racing?

Yeah, my race will most definitely be cold if it happens.  We're in for 'some weather' on Saturday into Sunday: snow, freezing rain, wind, temp plummet (happening later Sunday into Monday).  If they hold the race my goal will be simply to get 'er done and collect my soup (and hopefully free beer) at the end.  I'll save PR attempts for a better day!

Edited by melbo55 2019-01-18 1:52 PM
2019-01-18 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!!!

January 19-20

Is anyone else racing?

Stacey, that is simply the best race name!  If I'm ever in your part of the world I will try to make it happen during this race so I can do it!   Good luck and have fun!  Are any other members of Team Turtle racing?

Yeah, my race will most definitely be cold if it happens.  We're in for 'some weather' on Saturday into Sunday: snow, freezing rain, wind, temp plummet (happening later Sunday into Monday).  If they hold the race my goal will be simply to get 'er done and collect my soup (and hopefully free beer) at the end.  I'll save PR attempts for a better day!

The National park where my run is has been closed for the weekend (I think due to the extreme fire risk from the expected heat). So no Snakes and Ladders run
But the couple that organise these events are absolutely AWESOME and when they found out about the closure on Thursday they have done a rearrange of the series so now the race that is scheduled for a fortnights time is happening on Sunday (because that park isn't closed) and Snakes will happen in a fortnight
So this weekend I'm now running Qi Gong instead of Snakes, which is actually good cause there is more shade on that course and the massive hill in it is slightly less epic than the one in Snakes.

Good luck Mel I hope the weather is better than expected and you get to run.

Edited to fix my spelling

Edited by StaceyK 2019-01-18 4:00 PM
2019-01-18 8:20 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
So I tried to post my goals using the app on my phone a few days ago, and it wouldn't post, so here goes again:

1. Drop body fat and increase lean body mass. Along the way, I'd like to lose 15 pounds. Less body weight means less stress on my aging knees and ankles.
2. Increase my cycling FTP by 10%
3. Really figure out my nutrition strategy for bike and run as well as life. I've really struggled with perimenopause and the changes that it's causing in my body. I'm pretty sure that my stomach doesn't love maltodextrin (which is in both the Infinite and the Clif Bloks I use), so I ordered a bunch of options from "The Feed" to try over the next few months.
4. Be consistent to my Training Plan (this shouldn't be an issue...I've completed about 98% of the workouts my coach uploaded into TP over the last 14 months). My coach communicates with me a lot to make sure I'm not feeling burned out with the workouts. He changes things up enough and provides a variety of different challenges from week to week that I never really get 'bored.'
5. Toe the line at IM-LOU as healthy and fit as possible.

On a totally different front...

My husband is a Tour caddie, and is currently on the Web.com Tour in the Bahamas. Today he rescued a puppy.

Apparently, he's going to try to fly home with said puppy next week. The veterinarian he took the puppy to today said it can be done Puppy was vaccinated and wormed today and the paperwork and puppy passport is currently being prepared. Pupster sure is cute, but we already have 3 dogs here, and I don't think the geriatric member of our pack needs an 11 week old puppy.

Who knows how this is all going to pan out.

Edited by glfprncs 2019-01-18 8:21 PM
2019-01-18 10:04 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master

Originally posted by glfprncs So I tried to post my goals using the app on my phone a few days ago, and it wouldn't post, so here goes again: 1. Drop body fat and increase lean body mass. Along the way, I'd like to lose 15 pounds. Less body weight means less stress on my aging knees and ankles. 2. Increase my cycling FTP by 10% 3. Really figure out my nutrition strategy for bike and run as well as life. I've really struggled with perimenopause and the changes that it's causing in my body. I'm pretty sure that my stomach doesn't love maltodextrin (which is in both the Infinite and the Clif Bloks I use), so I ordered a bunch of options from "The Feed" to try over the next few months. 4. Be consistent to my Training Plan (this shouldn't be an issue...I've completed about 98% of the workouts my coach uploaded into TP over the last 14 months). My coach communicates with me a lot to make sure I'm not feeling burned out with the workouts. He changes things up enough and provides a variety of different challenges from week to week that I never really get 'bored.' 5. Toe the line at IM-LOU as healthy and fit as possible. On a totally different front... My husband is a Tour caddie, and is currently on the Web.com Tour in the Bahamas. Today he rescued a puppy. Apparently, he's going to try to fly home with said puppy next week. The veterinarian he took the puppy to today said it can be done Puppy was vaccinated and wormed today and the paperwork and puppy passport is currently being prepared. Pupster sure is cute, but we already have 3 dogs here, and I don't think the geriatric member of our pack needs an 11 week old puppy. Who knows how this is all going to pan out.

Sometimes puppies keep the geriatrics young .  They usually work it out amongst themselves, especially if the 'interloper' is a youngster.  I'm sure if you decide that he can't stay, he will be easy to rehome.

Love your goals.  What is "the feed"?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107