BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-01-03 8:28 AM
in reply to: tdl1972

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm

Originally posted by tdl1972 NAME: David OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook STORY: XC runner in college. I started running again in 2011. A friend talked me into a sprint and my ridiculous nature throttled that up into IMFL in 2013. I sprinkled in 6 Ragnars, a dozen or so HMs and numerous shorter runs and triathlons. My last race was Chatt 70.3 in 2015. I took a couple of weeks off and when I started back I began having chest pains. That culminated in a stent in early 2016 and I haven’t raced since. I’ve gotten fat and lazy. I miss running and riding (not swimming), and I’m ready to get back. FAMILY STATUS: A supportive wife and a 7 year-old son. CURRENT TRAINING: Starting tomorrow. Or the next day. Or whenever it decides to stop raining here. I don’t do treadmills or bikes indoors. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: September 29 - Augusta 70.3 (registered) Whatever else peaks my interest. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Part of what keeps me interested/motivated is sharing and conversing with others of a like mind. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I look like one? ?????

Oh! RAGNAR!

Oh! Augusta! You'll fit in well here!

Three of us are doing the Chattanooga 70.3 this year. We may pick your brain on that ;-)

2019-01-03 8:30 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner
Originally posted by tdl1972NAME: DavidOTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: FacebookSTORY: XC runner in college. I started running again in 2011. A friend talked me into a sprint and my ridiculous nature throttled that up into IMFL in 2013. I sprinkled in 6 Ragnars, a dozen or so HMs and numerous shorter runs and triathlons. My last race was Chatt 70.3 in 2015. I took a couple of weeks off and when I started back I began having chest pains. That culminated in a stent in early 2016 and I haven’t raced since. I’ve gotten fat and lazy. I miss running and riding (not swimming), and I’m ready to get back. FAMILY STATUS: A supportive wife and a 7 year-old son. CURRENT TRAINING: Starting tomorrow. Or the next day. Or whenever it decides to stop raining here. I don’t do treadmills or bikes indoors. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: September 29 - Augusta 70.3 (registered)Whatever else peaks my interest. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: Part of what keeps me interested/motivated is sharing and conversing with others of a like mind. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: I look like one? ?????
David that last line made me spit out my oatmeal! ??

Exactly! David will fit right in here :-D

2019-01-03 8:34 AM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Atlantia I'm in for 2019! NAME: Laura OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I'm mostly on Instagram (@laurayouldon) but sometimes find myself on FB as well. STORY: No athletic background. 3 seasons of triathlon, firmly back of pack. Diagnosed last year with anemia and POTS, so still learning how to live and train with those. FAMILY STATUS: Married 3 years, and almost as long since our dog passed. Somehow still not ready to get another. CURRENT TRAINING: I took "off season" a little too literally. But slowly get back into it. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I haven't signed up for much yet this year. Eyeing a few things in early season. BUT....I signed up for the MiamiMan Aquathlon and Half Aqua Bike. Gulp. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I like keeping up with everyone, and being inspired by your adventures. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Once a Manatee, always a manatee, right?

Welcome back!

MiamiMan has always looked interesting to me. I haven't done it because (1) Kevin votes against driving from NC and (2) it's so late in the year that it could make for a pretty long season. That being said, I believe that Ann-Marie has done the course there and may have some input.

2019-01-03 8:36 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Who here is affected by the government shutdown? Laura? Jen? TJ? Anyone else?

I know how much it sucks. I was a contractor during the 1995 shutdowns. It was horrible and, as contractors, we were never paid.

Fingers crossed that this resolve soon. TJ needs to sign up for some races!

2019-01-03 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

David, are you on Strava? If so, Chris or I will invite you to our Strava group.

2019-01-03 8:44 AM

User image

Expert
Please count me in. Bio to follow.

2019-01-03 9:24 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by tdl1972

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting tomorrow. Or the next day. Or whenever it decides to stop raining here.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: September 29 - Augusta 70.3 (registered)

I'm in Atlanta and I HEAR YOU on the rain. Everyone has told me since I moved here in 2017 that the weather is "not normal" ... not the rain, not the snow, not the multiple tropical storm remnants - but they can only say that so many times until it actually becomes normal LOL! 2018 was Atlanta's second wettest year in the history of weather, which is wild.

I'll also be at Augusta 70.3 - wooot! 

2019-01-03 9:26 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by lisac957

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting tomorrow. Or the next day. Or whenever it decides to stop raining here.

I'm in Atlanta and I HEAR YOU on the rain. Everyone has told me since I moved here in 2017 that the weather is "not normal" ... not the rain, not the snow, not the multiple tropical storm remnants - but they can only say that so many times until it actually becomes normal LOL! 2018 was Atlanta's second wettest year in the history of weather, which is wild.

Raleigh was the wettest on record as well. I believe that WNC set records as well.

2019-01-03 9:27 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by jmkizer

I know how much it sucks. I was a contractor during the 1995 shutdowns. It was horrible and, as contractors, we were never paid.

We are affected indirectly, as most of our research is federally-funded. What it means for now is we don't get any funds that were scheduled to arrive now, and it's tricky with proposal preparation.
But that's probably nothing comparing to those who actually work for the government. I hope all of you are staying strong!

I am also extremely upset for the national parks... We visited Joshua Tree and Red Rocks over the winter break and it's horrible how people take advantage of free entry, yet are unable to keep the park clean and it tact :/
2019-01-03 9:33 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83

We are affected indirectly, as most of our research is federally-funded. What it means for now is we don't get any funds that were scheduled to arrive now, and it's tricky with proposal preparation. But that's probably nothing comparing to those who actually work for the government. I hope all of you are staying strong! I am also extremely upset for the national parks... We visited Joshua Tree and Red Rocks over the winter break and it's horrible how people take advantage of free entry, yet are unable to keep the park clean and it tact :/

At some point, the same thing will happen here. I work for NC Cooperative Extension but I am and NC State University employee. By definition, cooperative extension is 1/3 federal money, 1/3 state money, and 1/3 county money. I fall in the 1/3 state money but that does not mean that a long shutdown would not have an affect on our programs.

2019-01-03 9:34 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake Thought I would share this article about Setting Goals --- it's written by my former coach who works for Training Peaks, so there's a plug for TP toward the end, but you can disregard that. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/how-to-set-real-goals-for-your-ne...

Nice article. Thanks for sharing!

I've been working on a 2018 review to inform more solid goals/areas for improvement in 2019.

2019-01-03 9:40 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Atlantia I'm in for 2019! NAME: Laura OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: I'm mostly on Instagram (@laurayouldon) but sometimes find myself on FB as well. STORY: No athletic background. 3 seasons of triathlon, firmly back of pack. Diagnosed last year with anemia and POTS, so still learning how to live and train with those. FAMILY STATUS: Married 3 years, and almost as long since our dog passed. Somehow still not ready to get another. CURRENT TRAINING: I took "off season" a little too literally. But slowly get back into it. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: I haven't signed up for much yet this year. Eyeing a few things in early season. BUT....I signed up for the MiamiMan Aquathlon and Half Aqua Bike. Gulp. GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: I like keeping up with everyone, and being inspired by your adventures. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Once a Manatee, always a manatee, right?

Miamiman is a great race! The bike is usually very windy, so be prepared for that.

2019-01-03 10:18 AM

User image

Fairfax, VA
Bronze member

I am a contractor also - went 3 weeks without pay back in 2013.  Luckily my customer is funded right now and so I am unaffected with the current shutdown.  Definitely fingers crossed that it's resolved soon though.

2019-01-03 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
NW Georgia

David, are you on Strava? If so, Chris or I will invite you to our Strava group.

Yes, just sent you a request.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!
I haven't even gotten off the couch yet and it feels good to be back.
2019-01-03 10:48 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Originally posted by abake Thought I would share this article about Setting Goals --- it's written by my former coach who works for Training Peaks, so there's a plug for TP toward the end, but you can disregard that. https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/how-to-set-real-goals-for-your-ne...

I've been working on a 2018 review to inform more solid goals/areas for improvement in 2019.

FYI that article was written by one of the coaches in my coaching team. She write a lot of great stuff!
2019-01-03 11:27 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

FYI that article was written by one of the coaches in my coaching team. She write a lot of great stuff!

Very cool! You must be a PBM Athlete?

Edited by abake 2019-01-03 11:29 AM

2019-01-03 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yes, just sent you a request. Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! I haven't even gotten off the couch yet and it feels good to be back.

David, could you try again? I thought that I had approved you but now I'm not seeing it. doh!

2019-01-03 12:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by lisac957

I'm in Augusta and JUST got done running in the RAIN. Again. Fortunately, it was just enough rain to be annoying and I wasn't totally drenched.

If you, David, or anyone else need the 4-1-1 on Augusta, let me know. As I said, I live here and have raced it 4 times. I'm not racing it this year (IM-LOU is too close to risk injury says the coach).

Edited by glfprncs 2019-01-03 12:01 PM
2019-01-03 1:09 PM
in reply to: abake

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by abake

if you can call me that! LOL
2019-01-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Hi all! I'd like to come back this year.

NAME: Adam

OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Strava, and Zwift. I'm part of the Manatee group on Strava and you can find me through there.

STORY: I did short track and field events in high school (high jump, high hurdles) but nothing over a 400 sprint. I spent most of my 20s and 30s doing gym workouts with no cardio to speak of and only started triathlon about 4-5 years ago. I never did anything endurance related until my 40s. I'm in my mid-40s now (going up an age group this year) and I really like the mix of sports to avoid burnout as well as the structure of a training plan training for a big race. I'm currently firmly in the middle/low end of the age group pack in most races and am hoping to improve a bit this year.

On the professional/personal side, I'm a professor at NC State University in Raleigh NC and the job allows me a lot of schedule flexibility. I'm also in the process of launching a start-up business related to testing and assessment. Between two jobs and family commitments, I'm far too busy for triathlon. However, having a race on the books makes sure I don't slip out of staying active and the hours training are a good way to fight off stress and anxiety.

FAMILY STATUS: I am married (for the second time) and have a 16 year old and 14 year old from a previous marriage, and new 6 week old baby that I adore. I can't say this is the way I planned it but sometimes life moves in unexpected directions.

CURRENT TRAINING: This is the first year I didn't completely abandon triathlon in the off-season. I did a 70.3 in October and have been staying somewhat active with biking and running since. Training for IM 70.3 VA starts next week.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS:
Beaverdam Olympic - April 20 (tune up race)
Ironman 70.3 Virginia - May 5 ("A" race)
Triangle Sprint - June 1 ("B" race)
Smile Train Spring - June 23 ("B" race - local)
White Lake Fall Olympic - Sept 7 (tune up race)
Ironman 70.3 NC - October 19 ("A" race)

GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: My goals for the year are to complete two 70.3s (one in spring and one in fall), ideally in less than 6 hours each. My secondary goal is to improve on the bike and I've been doing more off-season trainer rides. I recently discovered the Zwift training rides which has made a big difference.

WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Why do you want to join this group? I want to come back for the support and advice from the group. I tend to train alone so I really enjoy the support of the group and being inspired by so many great athletes here. What makes me a good manatee? Well, I'm not sure I'm the best manatee but I'm a good cheerleader and provide a good perspective for someone that's trying to balance a lot of different demands.
2019-01-03 2:41 PM
in reply to: jenstewey

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Originally posted by jenstewey

I am a contractor also - went 3 weeks without pay back in 2013.  Luckily my customer is funded right now and so I am unaffected with the current shutdown.  Definitely fingers crossed that it's resolved soon though.

I work for a government contractor, but I'm internal corporate IT, so personally my staff and I are not impacted. I have had calls from several people whose work will stop being funded after Friday, so they'll start feeling the hurt.

2019-01-03 3:33 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Hi! I am back.

Bio to follow after wading/floating to Asheville for doc appointments.

FYI, WNC has had the most rain since they started measuring it over 100 years ago. They are still cleaning up mud slides here (which are being affected by the shutdown) Grrrrr.

2019-01-03 3:50 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Expert
Illinois

Originally posted by abake

if you can call me that! LOL

I will call you that!
2019-01-03 3:51 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by ceilidh

Hi! I am back.

Bio to follow after wading/floating to Asheville for doc appointments.

FYI, WNC has had the most rain since they started measuring it over 100 years ago. They are still cleaning up mud slides here (which are being affected by the shutdown) Grrrrr.

Yikes, and you are probably still cleaning up from the stupid-hurricane-that-ruined-our-plans last fall.
2019-01-03 3:54 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by awm007 Hi all! I'd like to come back this year. NAME: Adam OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA: Facebook, Strava, and Zwift. I'm part of the Manatee group on Strava and you can find me through there. STORY: I did short track and field events in high school (high jump, high hurdles) but nothing over a 400 sprint. I spent most of my 20s and 30s doing gym workouts with no cardio to speak of and only started triathlon about 4-5 years ago. I never did anything endurance related until my 40s. I'm in my mid-40s now (going up an age group this year) and I really like the mix of sports to avoid burnout as well as the structure of a training plan training for a big race. I'm currently firmly in the middle/low end of the age group pack in most races and am hoping to improve a bit this year. On the professional/personal side, I'm a professor at NC State University in Raleigh NC and the job allows me a lot of schedule flexibility. I'm also in the process of launching a start-up business related to testing and assessment. Between two jobs and family commitments, I'm far too busy for triathlon. However, having a race on the books makes sure I don't slip out of staying active and the hours training are a good way to fight off stress and anxiety. FAMILY STATUS: I am married (for the second time) and have a 16 year old and 14 year old from a previous marriage, and new 6 week old baby that I adore. I can't say this is the way I planned it but sometimes life moves in unexpected directions. CURRENT TRAINING: This is the first year I didn't completely abandon triathlon in the off-season. I did a 70.3 in October and have been staying somewhat active with biking and running since. Training for IM 70.3 VA starts next week. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: Beaverdam Olympic - April 20 (tune up race) Ironman 70.3 Virginia - May 5 ("A" race) Triangle Sprint - June 1 ("B" race) Smile Train Spring - June 23 ("B" race - local) White Lake Fall Olympic - Sept 7 (tune up race) Ironman 70.3 NC - October 19 ("A" race) GOALS/OBJECTIVES/DESIRES: My goals for the year are to complete two 70.3s (one in spring and one in fall), ideally in less than 6 hours each. My secondary goal is to improve on the bike and I've been doing more off-season trainer rides. I recently discovered the Zwift training rides which has made a big difference. WHAT MAKES YOU A GOOD MANATEE: Why do you want to join this group? I want to come back for the support and advice from the group. I tend to train alone so I really enjoy the support of the group and being inspired by so many great athletes here. What makes me a good manatee? Well, I'm not sure I'm the best manatee but I'm a good cheerleader and provide a good perspective for someone that's trying to balance a lot of different demands.

Impressive! New baby, new business, did not abandon training in off-season!

What training plan are you using for IM 70.3 VA?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107