BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-03-13 12:55 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by amd723

Originally posted by marysia83

Originally posted by melbo55

OK, manatees, it's time for a 'for fun' question which came to me while running a couple weeks ago:

What amount of money that you find in the street would be 'the line' where you thought about turning it in to someone (like the police, assuming there is no one around who has obviously lost the cash)?

Would it make a difference if you found it in town (populated area) or running a rural road or not heavily used trail?  For instance, $50 in town might be a bit different than $50 on a road with houses few and far between.

No, I didn't find any cash recently but I always keep my eyes peeled for change (and nails, metal, etc., I pick them up so cars don't get damaged) and this thought crossed my mind.  I've found a $20 bill on a fund-raiser bike ride out in the middle of nowhere with no one around and picked it up and kept it, otherwise my findings have all been $5 or less and usually change, not bills, but there have been a few.

I always pick up coins, even pennies. We have coins jar and once it's filled to the top, we will cash it. It's a big jar and we've been collecting it for years, so that's going to be exciting when we find out how much there is inside... (maybe we're rich and we have no idea... ) Back to you question, I think if I found a hundred dollars bill, I would keep it. There is no way I would find an owner - unless I saw it dropped from somebody's pocket. Obviously, if I ask around or return it to police, chances are they would keep it to themselves. If I found a bag with thousands and thousands of dollars I think I would turn it in, as I would be paranoid it belongs to some mafia, and they saw me taking it, and will come and kill my whole family..... By the way, I absolutely love all the reflections and crazy thoughts we have during runs

Hahaha, that is pretty cynical of you!! I know each jurisdictions has laws regarding found/lost property, so if you turned in found $$ and no one claimed it in whatever time frame your state law provides, the $$ is yours.  If you are worried about the police keeping it, make sure you get some sort of receipt  I've found as much as $20 and have kept it (no one around, so no way to give it back to anyone). I'm not sure what my line for turning it to the police is, but i won't argue with $150.  It always amazes me when you see video of people going crazy scooping up cash that has fallen out of an armored car and claiming it is their cash b/c they picked it up! No, no it's not. There is a readily identifiable owner, it's not yours, turn it in!! 

Oh... I had no idea there was such law
That’s ok, I have an advantage over you since I’m an attorney for a law enforcement agency
What, no latin? ignorantia legis neminem excusat

2019-03-13 12:57 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by ceilidh
Originally posted by StaceyKI'm wondering if we need a new JoGo challenge for spring. What do you think?
YES!!!!!!!

What challenge categories? Same as last time or a different focus with race season coming up for many of the Manatees?

How long? 21 days? One month? Longer?

I would definitely do weight loss and activity frequency. Maybe for a month? 

2019-03-13 12:58 PM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

Who here use the paid version of Strava. I like me some pretty charts but I'm not sure that It's worth ~$50/year to me. I'm not using a paid version of TP any longer. I do use the free Strava too, Elevate.

I mistakenly forgot to cancel the premium/paid version of Strava before the free trial period ended. Total waste of money for me as I can not find any value in it for how I use Strava.
2019-03-13 12:58 PM
in reply to: kbhanson3

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by kbhanson3

Who here use the paid version of Strava. I like me some pretty charts but I'm not sure that It's worth ~$50/year to me. I'm not using a paid version of TP any longer. I do use the free Strava too, Elevate.

I mistakenly forgot to cancel the premium/paid version of Strava before the free trial period ended. Total waste of money for me as I can not find any value in it for how I use Strava.

The Manatees Have Spoken!

2019-03-13 1:00 PM
in reply to: juniperjen

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by juniperjen

Originally posted by StaceyKI'm wondering if we need a new JoGo challenge for spring. What do you think?
YES!!!!!!!

What challenge categories? Same as last time or a different focus with race season coming up for many of the Manatees?

X2!
2019-03-13 1:14 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

OK, manatees, it's time for a 'for fun' question which came to me while running a couple weeks ago:

What amount of money that you find in the street would be 'the line' where you thought about turning it in to someone (like the police, assuming there is no one around who has obviously lost the cash)?

Would it make a difference if you found it in town (populated area) or running a rural road or not heavily used trail?  For instance, $50 in town might be a bit different than $50 on a road with houses few and far between.

No, I didn't find any cash recently but I always keep my eyes peeled for change (and nails, metal, etc., I pick them up so cars don't get damaged) and this thought crossed my mind.  I've found a $20 bill on a fund-raiser bike ride out in the middle of nowhere with no one around and picked it up and kept it, otherwise my findings have all been $5 or less and usually change, not bills, but there have been a few.

I always pick up coins, even pennies. We have coins jar and once it's filled to the top, we will cash it. It's a big jar and we've been collecting it for years, so that's going to be exciting when we find out how much there is inside... (maybe we're rich and we have no idea... ) Back to you question, I think if I found a hundred dollars bill, I would keep it. There is no way I would find an owner - unless I saw it dropped from somebody's pocket. Obviously, if I ask around or return it to police, chances are they would keep it to themselves. If I found a bag with thousands and thousands of dollars I think I would turn it in, as I would be paranoid it belongs to some mafia, and they saw me taking it, and will come and kill my whole family..... By the way, I absolutely love all the reflections and crazy thoughts we have during runs

Hahaha, that is pretty cynical of you!! I know each jurisdictions has laws regarding found/lost property, so if you turned in found $$ and no one claimed it in whatever time frame your state law provides, the $$ is yours.  If you are worried about the police keeping it, make sure you get some sort of receipt  I've found as much as $20 and have kept it (no one around, so no way to give it back to anyone). I'm not sure what my line for turning it to the police is, but i won't argue with $150.  It always amazes me when you see video of people going crazy scooping up cash that has fallen out of an armored car and claiming it is their cash b/c they picked it up! No, no it's not. There is a readily identifiable owner, it's not yours, turn it in!! 

Oh... I had no idea there was such law
That’s ok, I have an advantage over you since I’m an attorney for a law enforcement agency
What, no latin? ignorantia legis neminem excusat

Very nice! As you can see from my signature line, I throw latin around once in a while!

2019-03-13 3:10 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by juniperjen

YES!!!!!!!

X2!

Yes, please!!

I am for the previous categories, but also open for anything new
2019-03-13 3:54 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Flexibility challenge for me? I think I only have 140 degrees to go!
2019-03-13 4:12 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner Flexibility challenge for me? I think I only have 140 degrees to go!
\

Sounds good, everyone. Let's nail down some categories.

Potential categories

• Weight loss
  • Keep on moving
  • Good eats
  • Total Distance
  • Strength/Core/Yoga
  • Flexibility (if not Strength/Core/Yoga or Keep on Moving) - would you want this to be a check off every day or some kind of goals per week? In my experience, rehab and goals per week don't work out so well so I was thinking more along the line of indicate that the exercises were completed.

Do you want to start next Monday, the 18th, or some later time?

2019-03-13 5:43 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by Hot Runner Flexibility challenge for me? I think I only have 140 degrees to go!
\

Potential categories

• Weight loss
  • Keep on moving
  • Good eats
  • Total Distance
  • Strength/Core/Yoga
  • Flexibility (if not Strength/Core/Yoga or Keep on Moving) - would you want this to be a check off every day or some kind of goals per week? In my experience, rehab and goals per week don't work out so well so I was thinking more along the line of indicate that the exercises were completed.

im still on a diet, so weight loss works for me. Also doing yoga multiple times per week, so I’d do that too!

2019-03-13 8:22 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Yes, just time/sessions completed would be good.I definitely cannot guarantee degrees per week-it is not very much under my control! I would probably do that and a Get Moving challenge.

Right now I am doing almost two hours of PT a day--mostly just two stretches (painful ones) that get held for 10 minutes at a time 5X a day, plus one other set of stuff (rotation and wrist flex/extension with light resistance) that takes about 15 minutes, once a day. And that's on the days I don't actually see the PT--3X a week for the next four weeks to start with. Really not fun stuff. There is a load of scar tissue and swelling and really the only thing they can do to break it up is something like deep tissue massage plus yanking my arm around--I was yelling the F word last time! (Why oh why couldn't it have been a wrist instead? My understanding of that is 6 weeks loafing in a cast and then some strength stuff. This involves at least 12 weeks of PT and probably twice as long (or more) to regain strength. And then the inevitable dark thought comes to me--"All so I can swim/bike/run again and break something else??")

Kinda still is the "pro athlete lifestyle", minus any actual athletics (right now all I'm doing is walking 60-90 minutes a day) or anything that might be construed as fun. (Walking would be pleasant enough IF we could have something other than blustery 40-degree weather.)

The only positive thing I can think of is that the hardware itself isn't bothering me as I thought it would. I'm sure it's much of the cause of the swelling and bruising, but that's actually not directly under the metalwork itself but above it and off to the side where some unhappy muscles and nerves are. It's not really visible, unless you were a doctor and really knew what you were looking at, nor can I really feel it--just feels like I have harder bone there or something--and it doesn't seem like it would actually cause a huge problem with aerobars, wetsuits, etc. The big problem is lack of mobility!

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-03-13 8:58 PM

2019-03-14 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Question for the pod...
Anyone have any experience with Zealios sunscreen (or their other products?) I noticed my team has a discount with them this year, and I've heard some chatter on social media about it. But wow! That is some expensive stuff, even with a discount. I'm willing to pay good money for sunscreen. I import my daily sunscreen from Japan, after all. But for how much of my body needs coverage during training or a race, any thoughts on whether Zealios is worth it?
xoxo
2019-03-14 9:05 AM

User image

Jacksonville, Florida

\

Potential categories

• Weight loss
  • Keep on moving
  • Good eats
  • Total Distance
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

Selfishly, I'd say some later time. Heading out of town on spring break next week. How about Monday April 1?
2019-03-14 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

\

Potential categories

• Weight loss
  • Keep on moving
  • Good eats
  • Total Distance
  • Strength/Core/Yoga

Selfishly, I'd say some later time. Heading out of town on spring break next week. How about Monday April 1?

OK, April challenge it is!

2019-03-14 1:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Expanding on the Strava/TP topic - anyone use best bike split? It has a free and paid version.  I've just signed up for the free version, but may sign  up for tat least the free version. It looks really cool for races - from the website : Our math and physics engine takes your power datacourse info, and race day conditions to predict your race performance and create the perfect power plan so you can hit your best bike split ever.

I've put in my information for the Choo 70.3 course and it has created a plan to follow for each part of the bike course.  i've also downloaded the Choo course and I should be able to load that into TP or trainer road or garmin and then train on the course from my trainer. You can supposedly trim the course profile to just the sections you want too. That part may be in the paid version as I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet.

I think that it's good if you are doing IM branded events because they already have the proper course in there. I also got a little bit lost in there. But yes, it can be good for setting your target watts for events.

Additional follow-up on yesterday's Strava (paid), TP, Final Surge, Best Bike Split discussion...

I mentioned the talk to Kevin (who thanks you all for saving subscription costs) and he perked up when I said something about pre-riding a course. He asked, "Can I load a course on Zwift?" I said that I'd look into it.

The answer is yes and no. You can load convert a course that you have ridden outside into a Zwift workout file (and that is essentially what BBS does when you tell it that you want to pre-rode something in the Zwift format) or you can load a course on a device that can control a smart trainer.

Option 1 - import file into Zwift

Import into Zwift — https://whatsonzwift.com/gpx-to-zwift-workout/ as discussed here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwnJS71F4uA<< what this does it it creates a workout file telling you when to go harder and when to go easier since there is no way to control the terrain in Zwift. It looks like this is sort of like what Best Bike Split does for Zwift files (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw0yH0lUIg4)

Option 2 - use a Garmin 520 or similar

Using Garmin 520 (which I have) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_X82njeO8I(The Fenix 3 cannot control the smart trainer, seems like an issue). Or you could make Wahoo really happy and get an Element ($250), “Simulation mode - grab routes from your outdoor rides and ELEMNT will simulate the resistance and elevation.”  It doesn't sound like the Forerunner 920XT or 935 can control the smart trainer so I'm not sure this will work on the watches, it may be bike computer specific.  At least that's what I think FE-C means.

Option 3 - Rouvy

I think that you can also create a route (without video) in Rouvy but I'm not 100% sure on that Rouvy - https://support.rouvy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004313889-How-to-crea...

2019-03-14 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Speaking of smart trainers -- I saw this article last night

Why The $2245 Peloton Bike Is An Amazing Value

My key takeaways were

• I had now idea that SoulCycle was so expensive!  Over the course of a year, you would spend $7,632 going to SoulCycle classes. Even if you throw out his transportation costs, it's still super pricey!
  • I knew this but -- Peloton is really not targeting the triathlon/smart trainer crowd.

2019-03-14 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Expanding on the Strava/TP topic - anyone use best bike split? It has a free and paid version.  I've just signed up for the free version, but may sign  up for tat least the free version. It looks really cool for races - from the website : Our math and physics engine takes your power datacourse info, and race day conditions to predict your race performance and create the perfect power plan so you can hit your best bike split ever.

I've put in my information for the Choo 70.3 course and it has created a plan to follow for each part of the bike course.  i've also downloaded the Choo course and I should be able to load that into TP or trainer road or garmin and then train on the course from my trainer. You can supposedly trim the course profile to just the sections you want too. That part may be in the paid version as I haven't been able to figure out how to do that yet.

I think that it's good if you are doing IM branded events because they already have the proper course in there. I also got a little bit lost in there. But yes, it can be good for setting your target watts for events.

Additional follow-up on yesterday's Strava (paid), TP, Final Surge, Best Bike Split discussion...

I mentioned the talk to Kevin (who thanks you all for saving subscription costs) and he perked up when I said something about pre-riding a course. He asked, "Can I load a course on Zwift?" I said that I'd look into it.

The answer is yes and no. You can load convert a course that you have ridden outside into a Zwift workout file (and that is essentially what BBS does when you tell it that you want to pre-rode something in the Zwift format) or you can load a course on a device that can control a smart trainer.

Import into Zwift — https://whatsonzwift.com/gpx-to-zwift-workout/ as discussed here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwnJS71F4uA<< what this does it it creates a workout file telling you when to go harder and when to go easier since there is no way to control the terrain in Zwift. It looks like this is sort of like what Best Bike Split does for Zwift files (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw0yH0lUIg4)

Using Garmin 520 (which I have) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_X82njeO8I(The Fenix 3 cannot control the smart trainer, seems like an issue). Or you could make Wahoo really happy and get an Element ($250), “Simulation mode - grab routes from your outdoor rides and ELEMNT will simulate the resistance and elevation.”  It doesn't sound like the Forerunner 920XT or 935 can control the smart trainer so I'm not sure this will work on the watches, it may be bike computer specific.  At least that's what I think FE-C means.

Option 3 - Rouvy

I think that you can also create a route (without video) in Rouvy but I'm not 100% sure on that Rouvy - https://support.rouvy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004313889-How-to-crea... for all the research on this. The only thing I can add is Rouvy has a lot of the race courses already loaded and available to ride, e.g., IM Choo is there.

2019-03-14 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

My key takeaways were

• I had now idea that SoulCycle was so expensive!  Over the course of a year, you would spend $7,632 going to SoulCycle classes. Even if you throw out his transportation costs, it's still super pricey!
  • I knew this but -- Peloton is really not targeting the triathlon/smart trainer crowd.

I wonder how many people go to Soul Cycle 3-5 x/week 52 weeks a year - I suppose people do, but that seems like an ambitious mark to use for comparison. Still, it is expensive!

2019-03-14 3:20 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
OMG! I am going to just keep using my bike, dumb trainer, power meter, Garmin 520, music, and videos! (Allowed to start a week from Monday. I think I will follow a beginner program for a few months and then get TrainerRoad.) I just don't see the point of spending all that $.
2019-03-14 4:05 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Option 3 - Rouvy

I think that you can also create a route (without video) in Rouvy but I'm not 100% sure on that Rouvy - https://support.rouvy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004313889-How-to-crea... for all the research on this. The only thing I can add is Rouvy has a lot of the race courses already loaded and available to ride, e.g., IM Choo is there.

I thought that they might. I have a code to a trial and I think Kevin was interested in trying it. I wish you could search their courses before signing up. 

2019-03-14 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

My key takeaways were

I wonder how many people go to Soul Cycle 3-5 x/week 52 weeks a year - I suppose people do, but that seems like an ambitious mark to use for comparison. Still, it is expensive!

Even if they went 2x/week @ $35/class, that's $3640 versus $4325 for 12 months of classes and a Peloton bike. I'm sure that part of it is  if you enjoy the social aspect of face-to-face classes versus the convenience of hopping on your bike whenever. Either way, it ain't cheap!

2019-03-14 7:42 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Holy sh.... That Soul Cycle figure is more than my bike (which I definitely don't replace every year) plus dumb trainer plus power meter, plus Garmin plus coaching for all three sports! I could even throw in my I-Mac (for YouTube videos) and gym membership and it would still be cheaper. Talk about successful marketing. I guess it's good I actually detest the "social aspect", loud music, and trainers/coaches who yell during workouts.
2019-03-15 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by Hot Runner Holy sh.... That Soul Cycle figure is more than my bike (which I definitely don't replace every year) plus dumb trainer plus power meter, plus Garmin plus coaching for all three sports! I could even throw in my I-Mac (for YouTube videos) and gym membership and it would still be cheaper. Talk about successful marketing. I guess it's good I actually detest the "social aspect", loud music, and trainers/coaches who yell during workouts.

I'm just too dang cheap for any of this discussion. I know I'm not nearly as serious as most of you, so I am a horrible metric. I own bikes. No Smart (or dumb) Trainer. No Subscriptions. No Training Plan. I own a refurbished Garmin 310XT. I understand that I am blessed to live where I live as well. I also understand how much I am saving on stuff. I should probably invest all those savings into another bike! 

Enjoy the weekend everyone! We'll be out in the great wide open, spending the weekend with friends.

2019-03-15 9:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Just for sh*ts and giggles, I used What’s On Zwift (https://whatsonzwift.com/) to convert a GPX file of me riding the Lake Logan Half course to a Zwift workout file.

Lake Logan GPX to ZWO

Hmm. Since the elevation here looks fairly dramatic, I'll find the Oly bike course (circa 2013). A lot less yellow and green!

Lake Logan Oly GPX to ZWO

• Blue is Z2
  • Green is Z3
  • Yellow is Z4

ETA color key

Edited by jmkizer 2019-03-15 9:26 AM
2019-03-15 9:56 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Jacksonville, Florida
Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by Hot Runner Holy sh.... That Soul Cycle figure is more than my bike (which I definitely don't replace every year) plus dumb trainer plus power meter, plus Garmin plus coaching for all three sports! I could even throw in my I-Mac (for YouTube videos) and gym membership and it would still be cheaper. Talk about successful marketing. I guess it's good I actually detest the "social aspect", loud music, and trainers/coaches who yell during workouts.

I'm just too dang cheap for any of this discussion. I know I'm not nearly as serious as most of you, so I am a horrible metric. I own bikes. No Smart (or dumb) Trainer. No Subscriptions. No Training Plan. I own a refurbished Garmin 310XT. I understand that I am blessed to live where I live as well. I also understand how much I am saving on stuff. I should probably invest all those savings into another bike! 

Enjoy the weekend everyone! We'll be out in the great wide open, spending the weekend with friends.

Under them skies of blue?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107