BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-03-19 10:31 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by amd723

Came across this photo today after I bailed on my workouts. Wow!

The amazing thing about Bataan is the atmosphere. It starts with a ceremony to remember that fateful march nearly 80 years ago, and there is a celebration of the survivors. This year there were 3 remaining, and 5 that had passed since the last march.  Another incredible part is that the wounded warriors lead the race, they are the first wave to go. So at some point during everyone's day, unless they are moving at the same pace as the wounded warriors, they will pass the single, double, and even triple amputees, who are also out there doing 26.2 miles in the desert sand.  Lastly, the race is heavily populated by men and women in uniform. I spend a LOT of time with veterans so it gets pretty "every day" for me. But once in a while, when I hear "my guys" hooah, or when the medevac heli flies overhead, I think about how they, and my amazing son, signed that contract that says they will give everything, up to and including their life to defend this country, and my heart explodes with love, respect and gratitude. And I remember that my achy foot or back or... is a small price to pay to honor them.

And now you've made me cry.

2019-03-20 9:23 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

So Bataan was 100X better than when I did it two years ago. The weather was MUCH cooler and I was able to run it because I wasn't tied to an untrained teammate.  On a pretty cool note... the local paper picked up a pic of me and some RWB teammates as we crossed the finish line together (slide 40)

https://www.lcsun-news.com/picture-gallery/news/local/2019/03/17/bataan-memorial-death-march-photos/3196591002/#slide:3207896002

Great picture and yay to cooler temps for you!  That event is incredible, big congrats on finishing and doing well!

2019-03-20 9:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by amd723

Came across this photo today after I bailed on my workouts. Wow!

The amazing thing about Bataan is the atmosphere. It starts with a ceremony to remember that fateful march nearly 80 years ago, and there is a celebration of the survivors. This year there were 3 remaining, and 5 that had passed since the last march.  Another incredible part is that the wounded warriors lead the race, they are the first wave to go. So at some point during everyone's day, unless they are moving at the same pace as the wounded warriors, they will pass the single, double, and even triple amputees, who are also out there doing 26.2 miles in the desert sand.  Lastly, the race is heavily populated by men and women in uniform. I spend a LOT of time with veterans so it gets pretty "every day" for me. But once in a while, when I hear "my guys" hooah, or when the medevac heli flies overhead, I think about how they, and my amazing son, signed that contract that says they will give everything, up to and including their life to defend this country, and my heart explodes with love, respect and gratitude. And I remember that my achy foot or back or... is a small price to pay to honor them.

Truly incredible.  Well written view on the people and the event, very inspiring, very moving.  My cubicle must be especially dusty today.

Edited by melbo55 2019-03-20 9:26 AM
2019-03-20 10:28 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Expert
Illinois
Hey Manatees, this is not really related to our group, but I didn't know where else to post it. I took a peek at the Newbie forum and noticed that there are a couple of new BT members who have posted about trying out triathlons and have received no response. Which makes me wonder if anyone really monitors these forums very closely. I'm going to respond with a "welcome to BT" message. If anyone else has some time, that might be a nice gesture and I'm sure the new members would appreciate it.
2019-03-20 10:31 AM
in reply to: abake

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by abake Hey Manatees, this is not really related to our group, but I didn't know where else to post it. I took a peek at the Newbie forum and noticed that there are a couple of new BT members who have posted about trying out triathlons and have received no response. Which makes me wonder if anyone really monitors these forums very closely. I'm going to respond with a "welcome to BT" message. If anyone else has some time, that might be a nice gesture and I'm sure the new members would appreciate it.

There have been some behind the scenes discussions on this very topic. My opinions are not high at the moment, but then again, neither is my motivation to implement improvement. So, it is what it is, but I'll stop by and say hello.

2019-03-20 7:12 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by abake Hey Manatees, this is not really related to our group, but I didn't know where else to post it. I took a peek at the Newbie forum and noticed that there are a couple of new BT members who have posted about trying out triathlons and have received no response. Which makes me wonder if anyone really monitors these forums very closely. I'm going to respond with a "welcome to BT" message. If anyone else has some time, that might be a nice gesture and I'm sure the new members would appreciate it.

Regardless about BT site in general. I'll top by. This site carried me to and through my first triathlon when I had absolutely zero local support or information.

2019-03-20 9:43 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Expert
Originally posted by cdban66

There have been some behind the scenes discussions on this very topic. My opinions are not high at the moment, but then again, neither is my motivation to implement improvement. So, it is what it is, but I'll stop by and say hello.

It's sad to remember how lively the site once was. It feel like it's been dying a slow death for a few years now. I do agree that the site and especially the mentor program keep me connected and in tune with the community.
2019-03-21 4:40 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Thanks for confirming what I have been wondering. BT is definitely not what it used to be.
2019-03-21 6:42 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by abake

Thanks for confirming what I have been wondering. BT is definitely not what it used to be.

I feel blessed that we have our little group here.

2019-03-21 6:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

This has been an ongoing discussion in other threads for a while now. I believe that life (be it human, animal, corporate or website) is cyclical and/or has a lifespan. I expect there to be waxing and waning as it were. I know at one time I was much more interested in triathlon. I read more, asked more, and was just more involved. I am not in that place any more, however, I am still on this site almost daily. Why? This website, or more appropriately, this group, proves that the people in the community are the part that matters the most. And that is the part that will foster the growth and health of the website. 

So to Anne's point, it is up to us to welcome others, to foster their triathlon dreams and to be the community. Many of the folks will continue to come in fresh, take what they need, then leave. But there are those that will find something deeper here, as I and many of you have done, and continue to return.

All right, I'm off my soap box now, back to work and reality. Have a great day my friends!

ETA for spelling

Edited by cdban66 2019-03-21 10:08 AM
2019-03-21 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

This has been an ongoing discussion in other threads for a while now. I believe that life (be it human, animal, corporate or website) is cyclical and/or has a lifespan. I expect there to be waxing and waning as it were. I know at one time I was much more interested in triathlon. I read more, asked more, and was just more involved. I am not in that place any more, however, I am still on this site almost daily. Why? This website, or more appropriately, this group, proves that the people in the community are the part that matters the most. And that is the part that will foster the growth and health of the website. 

So to Ann's point, it is up to us to welcome others, to foster their triathlon dreams and to be the community. Many of the folks will continue to come in fresh, take what they need, then leave. But there are those that will find something deeper here, as I and many of you have done, and continue to return.

All right, I'm off my soap box now, back to work and reality. Have a great day my friends!

Great post Chris. I can definitely relate to your message -- I came here back in 2008 as a newbie when BT was booming. I don't do triathlons anymore. I'm on Strava and Training Peaks, so it's not as if I'm missing a spot on the interwebz to post my workouts. I took a break from BT last year for about a month, but came back for the same reasons as Chris.

2019-03-22 11:50 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
I just went and said hello to the most recent ones. I found BT back in 2004, joined in 2005, and consider my heyday 2007. That was when the Challenge Me forum was going really strong, with teams for run goals, stuff like that. It wasn't until I joined the Manatees that I felt like I was back "home" here. Love our pod so much!
2019-03-22 12:03 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

March 23-24
Robin P. - St. Paddy’s 4 miler
Robin KC - Spring Fever 10k

Is anyone not named Robin racing?

2019-03-22 12:31 PM
in reply to: #5253173

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
I am headed to Vegas for my annual participation in the Baker to Vegas Relay ??. My leg is only six miles so I need to cook up lots more miles while I’m there.
2019-03-22 1:55 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!!!

March 23-24

Good luck Robin, Robin, and TJ!

2019-03-22 2:17 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

Racing Manatees!!!

March 23-24

Good luck and have fun to the Robins and TJ :D

2019-03-22 3:01 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by rrrunner I am headed to Vegas for my annual participation in the Baker to Vegas Relay ??. My leg is only six miles so I need to cook up lots more miles while I’m there.

Run well and have fun!

2019-03-22 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
No races (of course) but I am allowed to get onto a trainer or stationary next week. Of course that is my least favorite part of tri training, but better than nothing!
2019-03-22 3:52 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Hot Runner No races (of course) but I am allowed to get onto a trainer or stationary next week. Of course that is my least favorite part of tri training, but better than nothing!

Great news! Progress!

2019-03-22 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Honestly not sure my elbow is any more mobile (I can't get past 90 degrees without a lot of pain and technical assistance) but at least the incision is healed--that was the issue with the "no sweating" instruction. You don't want to get the blood pumping hard and skin soaked with sweat and then (gross, TMI, I know!) have stuff oozing out of there if the edges separate! On a similar note, I can get into the pool the following week.
2019-03-22 7:17 PM
in reply to: Atlantia

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Atlantia

Racing Manatees!!!

March 23-24

Good luck and have fun to the Robins and TJ :D
to be fair. I changed this to a virtual run instead of a real race. I love this event and have been going for years. I just couldn't get there this year, but they are sending me all my bling for being a faithful atendee.

2019-03-22 7:18 PM

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by Hot RunnerHonestly not sure my elbow is any more mobile (I can't get past 90 degrees without a lot of pain and technical assistance) but at least the incision is healed--that was the issue with the "no sweating" instruction. You don't want to get the blood pumping hard and skin soaked with sweat and then (gross, TMI, I know!) have stuff oozing out of there if the edges separate! On a similar note, I can get into the pool the following week.
you are progressing really, really fast.
2019-03-23 4:45 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois

Racing Manatees!!!

March 23-24

Go Racing Robins!
2019-03-23 4:47 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Honestly not sure my elbow is any more mobile (I can't get past 90 degrees without a lot of pain and technical assistance) but at least the incision is healed--that was the issue with the "no sweating" instruction. You don't want to get the blood pumping hard and skin soaked with sweat and then (gross, TMI, I know!) have stuff oozing out of there if the edges separate! On a similar note, I can get into the pool the following week.

Not TMI, it makes complete sense. Yeah for being able to swim soon!
2019-03-23 9:03 PM

User image

Racing Manatees!!!

March 23-24

Well it is spring and we all know how Robins can be in the spring.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107