BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-05-06 10:23 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by IronOx

Mental game on point, physical, not so much .  Wanted to walk and/or quit for much of the second half of the race and managed to get through with just two strategic walks up hills.  Slowed down in the second half, but my training wasn't stellar, so not surprising.  It was a beautiful morning, and I accomplished my goal for the day.  AND a friend BQ'd in the full race, so it was a good day!

Having your mental game on point is a major win, seriously more than half the battle IMO.  Accomplishing your goal and your friend BQ-ing sounds like a very good day indeed, congrats to both!

2019-05-06 10:24 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Hot Runner Good karma should be headed your way! My coach had something posted on FB that was similar, except it involved saving large numbers of newly hatched baby turtles while on a bike ride! Big news here #1 I got clearance to start running again at my checkup on Thursday and put in 30 minutes on Friday and today. Very slow and I am of course terrified of tripping again (so mostly running on grass around a park with a bunch of soccer fields) but it doesn't seem to bother my arm and legs have held up so far. #2 I have a phone interview tomorrow for a position with an elementary school on Maui. Looks like a great school, but the logistics of that move with household, pets, car, etc. are intimidating, especially as I'm not 100% physically right now. Will see what develops. Cannot do ANY race plans until I know if I'm going to be living/working locally or in Hawaii for next school year. Still pretty much at Crater Lake Marathon if local, Honolulu Marathon if Hawaii. That's it for the year, I think.

Wooooo hooooooo on the running clearance and the phone interview!!  Exciting stuff!

2019-05-06 11:35 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
I survived IM Virginia 70.3. Race report is up if anyone is interested.
2019-05-06 12:31 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by Hot Runner Good karma should be headed your way! My coach had something posted on FB that was similar, except it involved saving large numbers of newly hatched baby turtles while on a bike ride! Big news here #1 I got clearance to start running again at my checkup on Thursday and put in 30 minutes on Friday and today. Very slow and I am of course terrified of tripping again (so mostly running on grass around a park with a bunch of soccer fields) but it doesn't seem to bother my arm and legs have held up so far. #2 I have a phone interview tomorrow for a position with an elementary school on Maui. Looks like a great school, but the logistics of that move with household, pets, car, etc. are intimidating, especially as I'm not 100% physically right now. Will see what develops. Cannot do ANY race plans until I know if I'm going to be living/working locally or in Hawaii for next school year. Still pretty much at Crater Lake Marathon if local, Honolulu Marathon if Hawaii. That's it for the year, I think.

Yay for both big newses!

2019-05-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master

Originally posted by awm007 I survived IM Virginia 70.3. Race report is up if anyone is interested.

Congrats on the finish, sounds like a tough day!

2019-05-07 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Just quickly checking in.

I had a great run on the weekend and it was topped of with a massive massive cherry when I got to watch my sister finish her first 80k ultra. She is just so amazing and inspiring and given that five and a half years ago she was told she would never walk again without a Zimmer frame EPIC is not a big enough word to describe her achievement.

The bottom line is that without the Manatees she would have never done this because apparently it's all my fault that she runs - and that all started right here. So thanks from the bottom of our hearts.

Attachments
----------------
9D055E1E-8E5D-437A-ACB2-6D7E2DCB6479.jpeg (933KB - 10 downloads)

2019-05-07 8:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by StaceyK Just quickly checking in. I had a great run on the weekend and it was topped of with a massive massive cherry when I got to watch my sister finish her first 80k ultra. She is just so amazing and inspiring and given that five and a half years ago she was told she would never walk again without a Zimmer frame EPIC is not a big enough word to describe her achievement. The bottom line is that without the Manatees she would have never done this because apparently it's all my fault that she runs - and that all started right here. So thanks from the bottom of our hearts.

Wow, such great news!! I had to google zimmer frame though   Congrats to your sister and good job to you for being such an inspiration to her. 

ETA: That's a great picture! You all look so very happy!!

Edited by amd723 2019-05-07 8:33 AM
2019-05-07 10:01 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by StaceyK

I had a great run on the weekend and it was topped of with a massive massive cherry when I got to watch my sister finish her first 80k ultra. She is just so amazing and inspiring and given that five and a half years ago she was told she would never walk again without a Zimmer frame EPIC is not a big enough word to describe her achievement.

The bottom line is that without the Manatees she would have never done this because apparently it's all my fault that she runs - and that all started right here. So thanks from the bottom of our hearts.

Wow. Just wow! I can't imagine finishing an 80k under perfect conditions. That's absolutely amazing! Please pass along our congratulations to her!

2019-05-07 11:28 AM

User image

Denver, Colorado

This is fantastic! I am amazed!
Great job to both of you! I am so happy she has you ))))
2019-05-07 11:55 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK Just quickly checking in. I had a great run on the weekend and it was topped of with a massive massive cherry when I got to watch my sister finish her first 80k ultra. She is just so amazing and inspiring and given that five and a half years ago she was told she would never walk again without a Zimmer frame EPIC is not a big enough word to describe her achievement. The bottom line is that without the Manatees she would have never done this because apparently it's all my fault that she runs - and that all started right here. So thanks from the bottom of our hearts.

Wow, absolutely incredible!!  Congrats to you and please tell your sister she ROCKS!!  80K?!  Wowsers!

2019-05-07 4:41 PM

User image

Denver, Colorado

Originally posted by awm007 I survived IM Virginia 70.3. Race report is up if anyone is interested.

Thanks Adam, for giving me even more pre-70.3 anxiety...

Great job on staying strong!!

2019-05-07 5:13 PM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by marysia83

Thanks Adam, for giving me even more pre-70.3 anxiety...

Great job on staying strong!!

Sorry Marysia! I definitely felt a wave of panic when I snapped my goggles before the start. Hopefully you'll avoid such a calamity.
2019-05-07 9:27 PM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I always have an extra pair of goggles on hand and if possible have someone next to the start holding them in the event I need them--habit left over from HS swimming. Of course that doesn't help once in the water!
2019-05-07 9:31 PM

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I always have an extra pair of goggles on hand and if possible have someone next to the start holding them in the event I need them--habit left over from HS swimming. Of course that doesn't help once in the water!

That's an excellent idea. It never occurred to me that goggles might pick that particular time to break. This was the only time I've ever brought extras but I'll always do so i the future!
2019-05-08 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia

This is EPICx100!!! Congratulations to your sister. xoxo
2019-05-08 11:51 AM

User image

Master

So awesome.  Congratulations to you both!

2019-05-08 3:32 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

That's so awesome Congrats!
2019-05-10 6:58 AM

User image

Expert

Manatees are clearly a bad influence! haha
2019-05-10 8:48 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks Adam, for giving me even more pre-70.3 anxiety... Great job on staying strong!!

Marysia, what 70.3s are you considering?

2019-05-10 8:49 AM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JBacarella
Manatees are clearly a bad influence! haha

Dooo eeetttt!!!!

2019-05-10 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

So.... I got Best Bike Split (BBS) and I set it up and it spat out some Chattanooga 70.3 numbers for my consideration. I don't know if it's good news or bad news but the numbers were the same as I came up with on Endurance Nation.

I also loaded the Lake Logan Half. It would surprise no one to know that course was nearly 10 minutes slower than the Chattanooga course.

I also played with the Time Analysis tool on BBS and found that I need to add 10 more watts more than I need to lose any weight at all. So the good news is that I can continue to eat!

Now I need to download the Zwift files for these two races in case I have a rainy weekend this summer and I feel inspired to ride them.

ETA: Race weather info. Load your course in Ride with GPS on your phone. Load the app Epic Ride Weather. Set your start date/time. Voila! Both Ride with GPS and Epic Ride Weather are free apps.

Edited by jmkizer 2019-05-10 9:07 AM

(Screenshot_20190510-100554_Epic Ride Weather.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Screenshot_20190510-100554_Epic Ride Weather.jpg (171KB - 3 downloads)

2019-05-10 9:51 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jmkizer

So.... I got Best Bike Split (BBS) and I set it up and it spat out some Chattanooga 70.3 numbers for my consideration. I don't know if it's good news or bad news but the numbers were the same as I came up with on Endurance Nation.

I also loaded the Lake Logan Half. It would surprise no one to know that course was nearly 10 minutes slower than the Chattanooga course.

I also played with the Time Analysis tool on BBS and found that I need to add 10 more watts more than I need to lose any weight at all. So the good news is that I can continue to eat!

Now I need to download the Zwift files for these two races in case I have a rainy weekend this summer and I feel inspired to ride them.

ETA: Race weather info. Load your course in Ride with GPS on your phone. Load the app Epic Ride Weather. Set your start date/time. Voila! Both Ride with GPS and Epic Ride Weather are free apps.

I  loaded my numbers -some of which were guesses (I have no idea how much my bike weighs!!) and have gotten my numbers, but have nothing to compare them with so can't say how accurate they are. Plus, now that i have fancy race wheels to use, I assume i'm going to just fly through the course, so the numbers are probably all wrong anyway.  

What I'd like to do is figure out how to load the numbers onto either my 920 or edge520, so i can be told what power i should be using every inch of the course!!

Re: race weather, doesn't BBS have that function? Or perhaps the epic ride one provides more current info..

2019-05-10 10:07 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by amd723

I  loaded my numbers -some of which were guesses (I have no idea how much my bike weighs!!) and have gotten my numbers, but have nothing to compare them with so can't say how accurate they are. Plus, now that i have fancy race wheels to use, I assume i'm going to just fly through the course, so the numbers are probably all wrong anyway.  

What I'd like to do is figure out how to load the numbers onto either my 920 or edge520, so i can be told what power i should be using every inch of the course!!

Re: race weather, doesn't BBS have that function? Or perhaps the epic ride one provides more current info..

BBS does have an advanced weather function. I just thought not everyone would want to pay $19/mo for that -- especially if they don't have a power meter. I think that it's always a good idea to understand what direction the wind is coming from. If 5mph is what we actually get on race day, that's no biggie but we've all had to deal with really windy days on the bike and it's good to be mentally prepared for that.

Re: getting the BBS data on your bike computer. I've never done that, I've just printed out the "cheat sheet" and covered it on clear packing tape to waterproof it.  It looks like you can load the course on your watch/bike computer plugging it into your computer and letting it mount as a drive, then copy the BBS FIT or GPX files to the NewFiles directory. And there is something about a BBS ConnectIQ App for the 520 as well

2019-05-10 10:08 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Denver, Colorado

Thanks Adam, for giving me even more pre-70.3 anxiety... Great job on staying strong!!

Janyne, I found a local non-IM branded race in WIsconsin on June 23: https://www.dutrirun.com/hctri
My training is not impressive, mostly because half way I decided I would not be able to train enough, and stopped swimming (focusing on running towards the marathon in July). And just last week got a thought that ...maybe... I could try and train super hard to be semi-ready for the June 23rd race.
I've been to this group long enough to understand 70.3 is no joke, and to take it seriously, so if I don't feel ready, I will probably do Oly distance, instead of 70.3, but will try to train my best. I was sick for over a week, and just got back to training two days ago, ugh, hopefully no more surprises along the way.

Do you think this is way too crazy idea?
2019-05-10 10:23 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Janyne, I found a local non-IM branded race in WIsconsin on June 23: https://www.dutrirun.com/hctriMy training is not impressive, mostly because half way I decided I would not be able to train enough, and stopped swimming (focusing on running towards the marathon in July). And just last week got a thought that ...maybe... I could try and train super hard to be semi-ready for the June 23rd race. I've been to this group long enough to understand 70.3 is no joke, and to take it seriously, so if I don't feel ready, I will probably do Oly distance, instead of 70.3, but will try to train my best. I was sick for over a week, and just got back to training two days ago, ugh, hopefully no more surprises along the way. Do you think this is way too crazy idea?

I'm sorry to hear that you were under the weather. That can be tough to come back from!

The race is in six weeks? So five weeks of training.  Your long ride is 17 miles? And your long run is 50 minutes?  Building up both the bike and run is a big ask, for sure.

You have a trail marathon three weeks after the triathlon? Which is your A race?

Edited by jmkizer 2019-05-10 10:25 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107