BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 107

2019-06-13 8:39 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Subject: RE: Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED

Originally posted by StaceyK I'm alive Sorry about the lack of posting but things have been ridiculously busy for the last month and keeping up with everything has been impossible. I've been away for work a lot and we have also relocated our office, which was a massive job after 40 years in one place. I am supposed to be away again at the moment but I cancelled my trip because I just couldn't do it. I will be away again for a few days next week and the week after too.

On top of that I got pretty sick with my annual May cold and then Phil broke a couple of ribs and got sick as well. Finally as icing on the cake our ceilings started to fall in so this week the landlords are having the ceilings in our kitchen, dining and lounge rooms replaced so we have had to relocate all of the furniture from that half of the house into other rooms (including the 150 gallon fish tank). After they have done the ceilings Phil and I are going to do the floors before we move the fish tank back. Winter hit with a vengeance here a week ago and it has gotten very cold and very wet, this on top of the dark are not my friend - I'm really not a winter person and having lost so much weight over summer I am really feeling the cold.

TJ congrats on your new job. My US geography isn't great, does the move make you closer to your boy that is in the Navy?

Karen congratulations on your job (I do know where Eugene is). Is your mum looking forward to moving back to Oregon? I might just let some of our teachers know about the class sizes you deal with over there. I have a few that think they are hard done by if they have more than 24 and are going to fie if they have 28. If they had 32 (which is pretty much the standard here) then I would have a mutiny on my hands.

Thanks for the Proof of Life post! I'm glad that you are relatively OK, winter woes notwithstanding. 

The work move sounds pretty unfun.  My group may have to move but we are hoping to stay put. There is a highway project that is taking out two buildings near us and they are considering moving people in the two demolished buildings to my building and then moving us to somewhere else. We tried to make the case that this is dumb. It's unclear what the facilities folks decided.

Regarding the ceiling repair, it's never easy to have to do these projects, especially on an emergency basis!

2019-06-13 8:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

What a small world triathlon is! I had problems with a Zwift file not going to Garmin Connect. I tried all sorts of things to get it up there but it was just not happening. I complained about this on the Endurance Nation GroupMe

I have a FIT file from Zwift that Garmin won't accept. It went to Strava and TP just fine and I was able to upload it to Final Surge (and Beginner Triathlete) without issue. I've tried running it through http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/ without success and I've tried downloading both the Strava and TP versions. Garmin is still not happy. Any other ideas?

I'm about to give up and just have the TCX file in Garmin but this has become a challenge.

Someone replied:

Omg @Janyne mentioned BT. I first started there back in 2011 The forums were the poop emoju The buddy that @francis and i stayed with when we went to Austin for rattler met his wife on BT.
You can probably tell where this is going. 

Yup. He knows Tony and, by extension, Monica. He even asked about Yanti!

Edited in an attempt to address formatting issues.

Edited by jmkizer 2019-06-13 8:57 AM
2019-06-13 9:28 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by StaceyK I'm alive Sorry about the lack of posting but things have been ridiculously busy for the last month and keeping up with everything has been impossible. I've been away for work a lot and we have also relocated our office, which was a massive job after 40 years in one place. I am supposed to be away again at the moment but I cancelled my trip because I just couldn't do it. I will be away again for a few days next week and the week after too. On top of that I got pretty sick with my annual May cold and then Phil broke a couple of ribs and got sick as well. Finally as icing on the cake our ceilings started to fall in so this week the landlords are having the ceilings in our kitchen, dining and lounge rooms replaced so we have had to relocate all of the furniture from that half of the house into other rooms (including the 150 gallon fish tank). After they have done the ceilings Phil and I are going to do the floors before we move the fish tank back. Winter hit with a vengeance here a week ago and it has gotten very cold and very wet, this on top of the dark are not my friend - I'm really not a winter person and having lost so much weight over summer I am really feeling the cold. TJ congrats on your new job. My US geography isn't great, does the move make you closer to your boy that is in the Navy? Karen congratulations on your job (I do know where Eugene is). Is your mum looking forward to moving back to Oregon? I might just let some of our teachers know about the class sizes you deal with over there. I have a few that think they are hard done by if they have more than 24 and are going to fie if they have 28. If they had 32 (which is pretty much the standard here) then I would have a mutiny on my hands.
So good to hear from you, Stacey!!  Sorry to hear of your and Phil's illnesses/injuries, hopefully all that is behind you since you are dealing with house stresses now.  I will send warm, happy thoughts your way to help combat the winter blahs.  They are tough for me, too.  I'm reveling in our summer - not so much the hot, humid days but the greenness of my world, the long days (especially evenings!) and the wonderful smells and sights.  Summer evenings are the best!  Take care.

2019-06-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Pennsylvania

OK, my wordy race report is up!  Sorry for its tardiness.

2019-06-13 10:06 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by melbo55

That was a very good read! Congrats on the strong swim

You mentioned you had Strava tracking your swim. How did you do that? Do you have Garmin thing, or were you allowed to have a bag on the swim? (with a phone)
2019-06-14 8:00 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by jmkizer

I was going to post this to Adam directly but I thought that some of the other Manatees might also be interested.  There is a Wilmington or Augusta thread on Slowtwitch that is relatively interesting.  I've only ever done B2B myself.

It also reminded me of a conversion that I have been meaning to share. A few weeks ago I volunteered to help at the Triangle Triathlon packet pickup. The Triangle Tri's event management company is Setup Events. Setup Events was the management company for B2B before WTC entered the picture and made Beach2Battleship into Ironman 70.3 North Carolina. The Setup Events person that I was working with said that the rumor is that this is the last IMNC. It's unclear what that means for any fall tri in the Wilmington, NC area in the future if that is true.

[/QUOTE

Sorry for the very late reply Janyne and thanks for the link to this. Wow, first they shut down the full at IMNC and now the 70.3 as well (this after of course getting rid of Raleigh 70.3)? I can't do a late season 70.3 this year, but I'd really like to do a Wilmington race. By all accounts that was a fantastic race back when it was Beach2Battleship. I know they've had weather issues the last two years (cancelling last year when I was signed up). At least Setup Events is getting the new Booty half and full off the ground in Beaufort NC. I'm hoping to try that one next year if I don't let you talk me into Choo 70.3.

2019-06-14 8:01 AM
in reply to: marysia83

User image

Raleigh, North Carolina
Originally posted by marysia83

That was a very good read! Congrats on the strong swim

You mentioned you had Strava tracking your swim. How did you do that? Do you have Garmin thing, or were you allowed to have a bag on the swim? (with a phone)

I'm not sure about the others, buy I use my watch to track the swims and then it syncs to Strava (same with my runs and bikes). I have a cheap old Suunto and I've been very happy with it as a budget-friendly option.
2019-06-14 8:26 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by awm007

I was going to post this to Adam directly but I thought that some of the other Manatees might also be interested.  There is a Wilmington or Augusta thread on Slowtwitch that is relatively interesting.  I've only ever done B2B myself.

It also reminded me of a conversion that I have been meaning to share. A few weeks ago I volunteered to help at the Triangle Triathlon packet pickup. The Triangle Tri's event management company is Setup Events. Setup Events was the management company for B2B before WTC entered the picture and made Beach2Battleship into Ironman 70.3 North Carolina. The Setup Events person that I was working with said that the rumor is that this is the last IMNC. It's unclear what that means for any fall tri in the Wilmington, NC area in the future if that is true.

Sorry for the very late reply Janyne and thanks for the link to this. Wow, first they shut down the full at IMNC and now the 70.3 as well (this after of course getting rid of Raleigh 70.3)? I can't do a late season 70.3 this year, but I'd really like to do a Wilmington race. By all accounts that was a fantastic race back when it was Beach2Battleship. I know they've had weather issues the last two years (cancelling last year when I was signed up). At least Setup Events is getting the new Booty half and full off the ground in Beaufort NC. I'm hoping to try that one next year if I don't let you talk me into Choo 70.3.

The IMNC thing is just a rumor at this point but I find it to be believable. I have not had the impression that WTC is particularly committed to an event in the area. I did not feel that Wilmington was treated at all like either Panama City Beach or Santa Rosa after their natural disasters.

2019-06-14 8:27 AM
in reply to: awm007

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by awm007

That was a very good read! Congrats on the strong swim You mentioned you had Strava tracking your swim. How did you do that? Do you have Garmin thing, or were you allowed to have a bag on the swim? (with a phone)
I'm not sure about the others, buy I use my watch to track the swims and then it syncs to Strava (same with my runs and bikes). I have a cheap old Suunto and I've been very happy with it as a budget-friendly option.

I track swims, including OWS, with my Garmin watch.

2019-06-14 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Relay Talk

Here's an article about the Land and Sky Relay going through Haywood County. (text pasted below)

I'm still figuring out the best way to communicate with the participates and super stalkers about the event. If email to participants + this post is too much, I'm sorry :-/
---
Haywood lands a spot in new Land and Sky Relay

A new long-distance relay race from Asheville to Cherokee will pass through the heart of Haywood County the first weekend in November.

The Land and Sky Relay will snake through Beaverdam, Canton, Clyde, Lake Junaluska and Maggie Valley along its 64-mile course. Teams of four runners will trade off legs of the relay race over a 12-hour period on Saturday, Nov. 2.

The first-year event already has 36 teams from 10 states registered. The event is being put on by Glory Hound Events, an Asheville-based professional race company.

The Land and Sky Relay is like a little brother version of the epic Blue Ridge Relay, a 208-mile race through the mountains from Boone to Asheville that takes teams two days of continuous running to finish.

“I thought there was a need for a smaller, lower-key relay that didn’t require the planning and logistics of having to rent a van and the lack of sleep,”said Greg Duff of Glory Hound Events.

Lake Junaluska Conference Center is serving as a host site and transition area for the relay teams.

The race has landed $2,000 in grant funding from the Haywood County Tourism Development Authority. While the race doesn’t begin or end in Haywood, it is a chance to showcase the county to participants passing through. And some may chose to stay in Haywood as the mid-between the start and finish.

Glory Hound has a stellar reputation for quality events and is the largest endurance event company in WNC. Glory Hound’s repertoire of outdoor races includes the Lake Logan Multi-sport event in August and the Power of Pink Race in Haywood County in October.

For more about the Land and Sky Relay, go to gloryhoundevents.com/event/land-and-sky-relay.

2019-06-14 8:35 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

In other news, watch the whole nose blowing thing on the bike. Stay safe out there!

Chris Froome's 6-Hour Surgery 'A Success,' Team Says; Cyclist Crashed At 34 MPH

• "We looked at his Garmin, at the data, and he went from 54k an hour to a dead stop." << ouch!
  • Froome and Dutch teammate Wout Poels had just finished a technical descent and were on a straight road lined by houses when Froome took his hands off his handlebars to blow his nose, Brailsford said
  • He's still in intensive care

2019-06-14 9:57 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

In other news, watch the whole nose blowing thing on the bike. Stay safe out there!

Chris Froome's 6-Hour Surgery 'A Success,' Team Says; Cyclist Crashed At 34 MPH

• "We looked at his Garmin, at the data, and he went from 54k an hour to a dead stop." << ouch!
  • Froome and Dutch teammate Wout Poels had just finished a technical descent and were on a straight road lined by houses when Froome took his hands off his handlebars to blow his nose, Brailsford said
  • He's still in intensive care

When I crashed at IMLOU in 2015 (and broke my leg) I had just blown a snot rocket. Took my eyes off the road whilst trying to hug the white line on the right and blow my nose = crash and game over. I'm much more careful now.

2019-06-14 10:31 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

That was a very good read! Congrats on the strong swim You mentioned you had Strava tracking your swim. How did you do that? Do you have Garmin thing, or were you allowed to have a bag on the swim? (with a phone)

It was when my Garmin uploaded to Strava it showed the map of where I swam and the path I took. 

2019-06-14 2:03 PM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Been there, done that. When I broke my elbow, I was digging out a gu packet as I was approaching the final aid station and could get some water there to wash it down. The packet (I'd already eaten part of it) was sticky and I was having a hard time extracting it. Must have taken my eyes/focus off the trail for just long enough to miss the tree root, rock, scuffed up section of gravel, or whatever it was that I tripped over. Call me paranoid, but I stop and walk now to drink or take in nutrition while running, even on the road. I suppose that might have to change if I am biking in a race (stopping might be more dangerous than continuing to ride!), but that's going to be a while, if ever.
2019-06-14 2:15 PM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Denver, Colorado
Originally posted by Hot Runner

Been there, done that. When I broke my elbow, I was digging out a gu packet as I was approaching the final aid station and could get some water there to wash it down. The packet (I'd already eaten part of it) was sticky and I was having a hard time extracting it. Must have taken my eyes/focus off the trail for just long enough to miss the tree root, rock, scuffed up section of gravel, or whatever it was that I tripped over. Call me paranoid, but I stop and walk now to drink or take in nutrition while running, even on the road. I suppose that might have to change if I am biking in a race (stopping might be more dangerous than continuing to ride!), but that's going to be a while, if ever.

I completely understand your paranoia, and I am looking for your advice on the bike aid stop, now that we are on this subject....

How do these water stops work for bikes? I saw pictures and films how volunteers hand water bottles to the cyclists, who grab the bottle and so on, and so on..... And it scares me! It is way too much going on to me, and I already have a vision of not "catching" the bottle properly, loosing a balance, crashing over, and causing a major crash to other bikers....

Is it OK if I pull to the side, get off my bike, and drink some water at the aid station, then go back on the bike, and so on.... Of course, making sure I am out of the way for other cyclists. In my vision, this is way safer than risking a major accident for myself and others...
(I should note that by the time I am far on the bike, most of the fast pros will be far far away, and chances are I will be completely by myself. But still...) What is your advice?
2019-06-14 3:17 PM

User image

Originally posted by Hot Runner

I completely understand your paranoia, and I am looking for your advice on the bike aid stop, now that we are on this subject....

How do these water stops work for bikes? I saw pictures and films how volunteers hand water bottles to the cyclists, who grab the bottle and so on, and so on..... And it scares me! It is way too much going on to me, and I already have a vision of not "catching" the bottle properly, loosing a balance, crashing over, and causing a major crash to other bikers....

Is it OK if I pull to the side, get off my bike, and drink some water at the aid station, then go back on the bike, and so on.... Of course, making sure I am out of the way for other cyclists. In my vision, this is way safer than risking a major accident for myself and others...
(I should note that by the time I am far on the bike, most of the fast pros will be far far away, and chances are I will be completely by myself. But still...) What is your advice?

I always stop to grab nutrition on my bike because I'm too chicken to grab and go. I go towards the end of the aid station to stop, usually close to the port-a-potty. I make sure I say "stopping!" a few times so those behind me know that I'm planning on stopping. I make sure that I'm over to the right as far as possible. If I've passed whatever I needed, such as water or Gatorade, a volunteer has always brought it to me without me even asking. Well except beer, I always ask for beer but they never have it at aid stations.

When I start out again, I make sure that there is a bit of a lull in traffic and those who are coming up are paying attention and see me.

I always walk the aid stations during the run as well. I trip over air so trying to run and eat just don't work for me. When I fell during a Boulder 70.3 after tripping on rocks, I had bruises for a really long time.

Edited by fortissimo 2019-06-14 3:20 PM

2019-06-14 4:00 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I think both grabbing and stopping on the bike have their hazards. If the volunteers are experienced, it's pretty convenient to grab drinks or food items, assuming you slow down enough and announce your needs clearly as you come in. On the other hand, there is probably more danger of plowing into a volunteer or cyclist, or losing control of the bike, or whatever. Stopping eliminates those risks, but you need to make sure to announce your intentions to those behind you, and move out of the line of fire, or you risk getting run over from behind. I try to be as self-sufficient as possible on the bike, partly for these reasons. I have my bike set up to carry four bottles, which will get me through a 70.3 in mild conditions. But that really isn't workable for a hot HIM or for full. For the full, I mostly just stopped to get stuff as any times savings just seemed trivial in a 12+ hour race. For HIM, depends on the experience level of the volunteers and how ambitious my competitive goals are.

I think in the future if I ever did a race with a trail run again (most likely not!) I would definitely walk the aid stations or whenever else I ate or drank. Wanaka was the only tri I ever did where most of the run was on trails; I've been doing road races for 40 years and have pretty much mastered eating and drinking on the run on a predictable surface; it simply never occurred to me that it might be a good idea to walk while drinking/eating on the trail. Stupid, but true.

Edited by Hot Runner 2019-06-14 4:04 PM
2019-06-14 4:42 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by marysia83 [I am looking for your advice on the bike aid stop, now that we are on this subject.... How do these water stops work for bikes? I saw pictures and films how volunteers hand water bottles to the cyclists, who grab the bottle and so on, and so on..... And it scares me! It is way too much going on to me, and I already have a vision of not "catching" the bottle properly, loosing a balance, crashing over, and causing a major crash to other bikers.... Is it OK if I pull to the side, get off my bike, and drink some water at the aid station, then go back on the bike, and so on.... Of course, making sure I am out of the way for other cyclists. In my vision, this is way safer than risking a major accident for myself and others... (I should note that by the time I am far on the bike, most of the fast pros will be far far away, and chances are I will be completely by myself. But still...) What is your advice?

If you decide to do a full stop on the bike, pull all the way through. Don't just stop on the road in front of a volunteer.  Riders coming in behind you will need to get in there too.  I like Robin's suggestion about pulling off near the end of the line.

2019-06-14 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!!!

June 15-16
Laura - Luray SwimFest on Saturday (2 events!!!)

June 14 - Jen Snyder’s birthday

Is anyone else racing?

2019-06-14 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!!!

June 15-16
Laura - Luray SwimFest on Saturday (2 events!!!)

June 14 - Jen Snyder’s birthday

Is anyone else racing?

Swim your heart out Laura!

Happy bday Jen.

2019-06-16 9:51 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Elite
Manatees it's been years since I jumped on here.

For those of you who have been around a while it brings me great sadness to tell you of the passing of Chad Musgrove, AKA Muskrat37

I met Chad (who had recently changed his name to Kheiron) in 2014 after a lengthy friendship on BT. He opened up his home to this Aussie/Brit abroad. I had been to Kona and went to visit him in Seattle.

He had some struggles recently but I think had found happiness and peace and was in the middle of an awesome roadtrip with his teardrop home behind him.

He died in his sleep on June 7th of a heart attack.

Ride the heavens my friend. You were a special soul.

2019-06-17 12:27 AM
in reply to: jobaxas

User image

Master

Thank you for posting this Jo.  I had been following his trip on IG and then I saw your post and was very confused.  I am so glad that he took that trip, he did seem to be so happy and at peace.  RIP Scrat.

2019-06-17 6:45 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by jobaxas Manatees it's been years since I jumped on here. For those of you who have been around a while it brings me great sadness to tell you of the passing of Chad Musgrove, AKA Muskrat37 I met Chad (who had recently changed his name to Kheiron) in 2014 after a lengthy friendship on BT. He opened up his home to this Aussie/Brit abroad. I had been to Kona and went to visit him in Seattle. He had some struggles recently but I think had found happiness and peace and was in the middle of an awesome roadtrip with his teardrop home behind him. He died in his sleep on June 7th of a heart attack. Ride the heavens my friend. You were a special soul.

Jo, thank you so much for letting us know about Chad.

2019-06-17 7:03 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by jobaxas Manatees it's been years since I jumped on here. For those of you who have been around a while it brings me great sadness to tell you of the passing of Chad Musgrove, AKA Muskrat37 I met Chad (who had recently changed his name to Kheiron) in 2014 after a lengthy friendship on BT. He opened up his home to this Aussie/Brit abroad. I had been to Kona and went to visit him in Seattle. He had some struggles recently but I think had found happiness and peace and was in the middle of an awesome roadtrip with his teardrop home behind him. He died in his sleep on June 7th of a heart attack. Ride the heavens my friend. You were a special soul.

Thanks for the information.  Very sad, but glad he was at peace.

2019-06-17 10:23 AM
in reply to: IronOx

User image

Champion
Bronze member
Originally posted by IronOx

Thank you for posting this Jo.  I had been following his trip on IG and then I saw your post and was very confused.  I am so glad that he took that trip, he did seem to be so happy and at peace.  RIP Scrat.

I did not know him but am glad that it was peaceful and while fulfilling his dream.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatees - 2019 Edition - Practice Maximum Enthusiasm - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 107